AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

21 hours ago, Enoby said:

Screenshot_20210504-195243_Samsung Internet.jpg

Other than the Hellstriders does anything take advantage of the battalion?

2 hours ago, Sorrow said:

Maybe a Hedonite novel?

HoS were the main antagonists of the Lumineth novel, I would read that one if you wanted recent Slaanesh stuff.  Email BL telling them you liked the Slaanesh inclusion and would like to see a pure Slaanesh novel again.  Otherwise they just make more spece mureen novels,..

4 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

HoS were the main antagonists of the Lumineth novel, I would read that one if you wanted recent Slaanesh stuff.  Email BL telling them you liked the Slaanesh inclusion and would like to see a pure Slaanesh novel again.  Otherwise they just make more spece mureen novels,..

Hedonites have appeared as antagonists. I read all that I could find.

I was hoping to see them as protagonists of a novel dedicated purely to them.

Just now, Sorrow said:

Hedonites have appeared as antagonists. I read all that I could find.

I was hoping to see them as protagonists of a novel dedicated purely to them.

Oh yeah I totally get that.  Trust me, I'm not am "imperial" fan in any means.  So I"m always on the outskirts trying to find Ork, Eldar, BoC, Sylvaneth, Wanderer novels or stories.  Also Slaanesh (as protagonists) :)  

Did you read the LRL novel?  was it good?  I gather it's an AoS version of the Fall of the Eldar.

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

I really hope we see a Slaanesh novel considering how much we have going on narratively - would be a wasted opportunity if not 

I would go for that, but only if Dan Abnett wrote it, I am dubious about the GW staff writers ability to write a good Slaanesh novel. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

I completely forgot about allying in Tzeentch. Lol. 
Three Bladebringers on exalted seeker chariots

two Slaanesh soul grinders

two flaming chariots of tzeentch

Three units of Chaos Warriors w/ MoS

One unit of Slickblades 

mesmerizing mirror

fane

heavy shooting, solid impact hits, a couple small units for holding objectives with decent saves and the mirror for control shenanigans. If battalions are a thing of the past, I’m rocking it! Lol

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) used the Bladebringers on exalted before? They look interesting but I've never been certain 

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) used the Bladebringers on exalted before? They look interesting but I've never been certain 

Yes, they are really good and also a solid summoning choice.  If you can charge into 3 units at the same time your doing 12+ mortals before combat even begins and they have +6/9 attacks.  Great for murdering groups of heroes. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Yes, they are really good and also a solid summoning choice.  If you can charge into 3 units at the same time your doing 12+ mortals before combat even begins and they have +6/9 attacks.  Great for murdering groups of heroes. 

I may have to use them next time; I have like three but I abhor carrying them. Would love it if they had a command ability!

On another note, I've got a conundrum. I have four boxes of Painbringers/Twinsouls unbuilt. Initially I was planning just Twinsouls, but at the same time I really like the aesthetic of a lot of sword and board fighters. I'm unsure whether to wait for a potential points drop in July...

16202932477072393374663753560689.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I may have to use them next time; I have like three but I abhor carrying them. Would love it if they had a command ability!

On another note, I've got a conundrum. I have four boxes of Painbringers/Twinsouls unbuilt. Initially I was planning just Twinsouls, but at the same time I really like the aesthetic of a lot of sword and board fighters. I'm unsure whether to wait for a potential points drop in July...

Worth saying I wouldn't run more than one, they aren't cheap and very much diminishing returns as there is usually only 1-2 good places for them to charge in and clip multiple units. 

Personally I'd build 10 and 10 Twinsouls/Painbringers, so potentially 2 units of 5 Pain Bringers and one unit of 10 Twin souls which can fill up battleline nicely.  If the rumours for 3rd ed are true Painbringers will get better as the +1Sv charge reaction is great on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Worth saying I wouldn't run more than one, they aren't cheap and very much diminishing returns as there is usually only 1-2 good places for them to charge in and clip multiple units

That's a fair point - I can't imagine carrying more than one, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Personally I'd build 10 and 10 Twinsouls/Painbringers, so potentially 2 units of 5 Pain Bringers and one unit of 10 Twin souls which can fill up battleline nicely.  If the rumours for 3rd ed are true Painbringers will get better as the +1Sv charge reaction is great on them

Good point :) At the same time, I'm now wondering if I should buy 16 chaos warriors and convert 15 of them into Painbringers/Slaanesh chaos warriors with all of the spare parts. I'll wait until BR Kragnos regardless 

9 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Hey @Enoby, out of curiosity when are you going to post the new models you've done on the Wendigo page?

Good question - I'm hoping soon :) Possibly this weekend time permitting, just depending on when I have time to write the lore. 

That said, until then, I did take a picture of all of my new units painted up so far :)

20210502_101710.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

7 hours ago, Enoby said:

That's a fair point - I can't imagine carrying more than one, to be honest. 

I heard even just the unit of 11 Blissbarb Archers split fire well.  That didn't even dawn on me for more DP generation.

12 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I heard even just the unit of 11 Blissbarb Archers split fire well.  That didn't even dawn on me for more DP generation.

I was thinking about this. If you split shots evenly between 2 4+ save units, you should hopefully sneak a wound through on each unit. Definitely enough to help with early DP generation, which can be on the low side. I always make sure to have every hero take a wound from the Fane in order to help with early DP too. 

Edited by LeonBox
Bad maths
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 1:20 AM, Sorrow said:

Nope, that one is still on my to-read list.

Mostly because BL take on Slaaneshi antagonists is in most cases absolutely identical.

They are probably what you'd expect them to be in the LRL novel. There are 2 and half Slaanesh "main" antagonists in the book, and they have different characters and approaches, so there is a bit of variety there. The one featured the most is your typical megalomaniac nutjob with BIG PLANS but limited capabilities. If found him fun and quite interesting - but probably for a Slaanesh fan he's rather trite. 

14 hours ago, Popisdead said:

1 hour ago, LeonBox said:

I was thinking about this. If you split shots evenly between 2 4+ save units, you should hopefully sneak a wound through on each unit. Definitely enough to help with early DP generation, which can be on the low side. I always make sure to have every hero take a wound from the Fane in order to help with early DP too. 

I think archers have one of the highest potentials, held back by their points costs. I used them in a game recently and they did pretty nice chip damage here and there, generating a lot of depravity. If they came down to 120 points I'd happily fill out most of my battleline with them. 

To be honest I get excited thinking about this army when the overcosted units come down 30-50 points :P

• Like 3

@Yoid

Your draft of a novel, which I reread 3 times, is a proper and rich exploration of Slaanesh. BL could definitely use your creativity.

Slaanesh can be approached from literally infinite amount of angles, but only if the writing is good. Otherwise, as @Enoby and I discussed, all Slaaneshi characters become fundamentally the same, a trap which BL routinely walks into.

I will admit that I am genuinely surprised, not even disappointed, that we got zero novels. There is so much to explore, the Children of Slaanesh, Sigvald and Glutos are walking the realms. How Hedonite societies function and so on.

Maybe we will get a novel in time, but it seems like the perfect moment has passed.

• Like 1

So I acquired an exalted chariot box and was wondering if I should make the exalted or split it into 2 of the other kinds. (meaning 2 of either) Thoughts on the subject? Also, if I split it which versions would you recommend?

It is rather sad that Slaanesh isn't getting much spotlight in the community articles and such. I rather liked that lord of pain they introduced guarding the newborn from Khornate raiders in one of those snippets. He felt very relatable for a Slaanesh guy. Not a cartoon caricature at all really. It would be cool if he got a novel of his own or something. 

Anyhoo, hope you're having a good week.

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Like 1

The exalted hero chariot is commonly regarded as an amazing hero piece right now, so I think you do fairly well with that. Otherwise, two regular chariots which can be a battle line unit is also a fairly decent option. Not to mention summoning in a unit of three chariots could be fun for some shenanigans. I think hellflayers are the only chariot that isn’t too ideal at the moment

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sorrow said:

@Yoid

Your draft of a novel, which I reread 3 times, is a proper and rich exploration of Slaanesh. BL could definitely use your creativity.

Slaanesh can be approached from literally infinite amount of angles, but only if the writing is good. Otherwise, as @Enoby and I discussed, all Slaaneshi characters become fundamentally the same, a trap which BL routinely walks into.

I will admit that I am genuinely surprised, not even disappointed, that we got zero novels. There is so much to explore, the Children of Slaanesh, Sigvald and Glutos are walking the realms. How Hedonite societies function and so on.

Maybe we will get a novel in time, but it seems like the perfect moment has passed.

I found it really weird too - just the fact there were no AoS novels released was super weird. Like I know AoS is much less popular than 40k in the lore department, but at the same time, even just a throwaway book would have been expected. To be honest, with how AoS books seem less popular in general it might just be very unlikely that we see any sort of experimental book. It seems like 70% of books are an order protagonist, and 25% are death, with the other 5% being Chaos or Destruction. Unfortunately it seems unlikely we get attention because it seems they steer away from Chaos as protagonists full stop in AoS. 

On 5/1/2021 at 12:10 PM, AngryPanda said:

On a side note, I’m betting that next weeks Warhammer Week reveals are going to announce at some point the third edition, either on Monday or Saturday.

Called it. 

It also seems that the rumor engine was correct, and that the Stormcasts have received the equivalent of a “terminator” for the setting. I haven’t been big of a fan of the stormcast design, but that new Annihilator looks great; the new design for the armor on the other stormcasts look pretty cool as well. 

The rumor mill is also pointing towards AoS 3 to be less focused on releasing new armies, and more emphasized on updating the existing range; specifically it’s been discussed that Fyreslayers and Cities of Sigmar are going to be receiving supplements to their model range. We will be receiving some new armies, but not at the frequency of the current/previous editions. These are all rumors though, and with any rumors it’s best to take them with a grain of salt. 

Crossing my fingers that the new edition also means changes to the points, really hoping to see those point drops for Slaanesh (especially considering that there’s been a general consensus from the survey and community that the points are very overpriced). 

Edited by AngryPanda
  • Like 2