AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

@dicebod

That Contorted Epitome is sublime in beauty, I adore it.

@AngryPanda

I will state that I did not look through new Lumineth rules and warscrolls properly.

But the tournament people who play Lumineth in my local meta are more than pleased.  Though to me, some of their units look as if they will never be played outside of casual battles.  But what good they got, is really excellent.

• Like 1

So, I managed to persuade the other player into playing a Fyreslayer list against mine; here's a battle report for that :)

Battleplan: Battle for the Pass (on a smaller board but all objectives were in the same place) 

Slaanesh list:

Host: Lurid Haze Invaders

Heroes:

General 1: Shardspeaker

Artefact: Lurid Haze Artifact

General 2: Contorted Epitome

Command trait: Lurid Haze trait

Artefact: Rod of Misrule

Spell: Born of Damnation

Glutos (not one of the three invaders generals)

Spell: Battle Rapture

Battleline:

5× Chaos Warriors

5× Chaos Warriors

5× Chaos Warriors

Battalions:

Seeker Cavalcade

Other:

10× Twin Souls

5× Slickblade Seekers

5× Slickblade Seekers

Endless spells

Wheels of Excruciation 

Fyreslayer List

received_457274572271549.jpeg.e5bdbbcaaccd7ef73ff8648a62e1f397.jpeg

Deployment

20210330_171251.jpg.49413ac52591d39e7e5888ef711601bb.jpg

I had eight drops to their five.  My aim was that it wouldn't matter if I went first or second, as both sides could be adapted around. The right flank was pretty sparse so I had my twinsouls ready to be able to go there if needed. 

The warriors were poised to take the two side objectives and hold the back one. 

I was chosen to go first. 

Slaanesh Turn 1

My turn one was very simple. I put mystic shield on the twin souls, gave them a 5++, got Glutos's prayer off, arcane bolted one of my chaos warriors, gave battleshock immunity to the right flank with a spell, and used the contorted epitome to cast the wheels of exruciation in the centre left flank as a double turn deterrent.

The rod of misrule lived up to its name and gave the fyreslayers a CP.

I then moved up the chaos warriors to just toe the objectives. I score 5 VP

20210330_172322.jpg.2d03e84f1769d7f60f99f27390887288.jpg

Fyreslayer Turn 1

Fyreslayers were left to come forward, the Magmadroths having 14" move each thanks to a rune. They used their breath on the twin souls three times and once on the chaos warriors. The 5+ MW saves really pulled their weight here and only a small number died. They retook the objectives with their units of 5 hearthguards, but this was expected and I intentionally kept my warriors back expecting their deaths and would have prepared them. 

20210330_172920.jpg.d66dab958ca863eb2816b0bfe470f40c.jpg

While I got the roll-off, I gave them the double turn as I moved the wheels of excruciation in the way of the droths. 

20210330_173113.jpg.87351e875ba433794adf31f3b58a74cf.jpg

Two of them took 4 MWs and two took 3 MWs. More importantly, it got in there way, and between the fane, the wheels, and the 3" chaos warrior bubble there wasn't much room for any of the droths. 

Slaanesh: 5VP

Fyreslayers: 5VP

Fyreslayer Turn 2

Feeling a bit stuck, the icy magmadroth on the right began their move into the chaos warriors as they couldn't move past them into my better units. They used their fire breaths on the twin souls again which hurt a few more, and again killed a warrior. They also put their fire wall across the left flank to prevent a counter charge from the slickblades into the droths.

Thanks to Glutos's -1 to hit, the icy droth couldn't even finish off the Chaos warriors. 

20210330_180202.jpg.c65aad25e6f79ebe74cb42b9b6c0253e.jpg

Slaanesh Turn 2

Now it was time to make my move and countercharge. I retreated the warriors to make room for the twin souls who were rerolling hits, and decided to multilane drift with Glutos into the black magamadroth which ignored -1 rend. 

The shardspeaker gave the black magmadroth a -1 to wound, and failed her other ability. The epitome failed its cast for overwhelming acquiescence. Glutos cast mystic shield on himself

The Slickblades were ready to strike, seeing an opportunity to break enemy lines on the left side while the magmadroths were walled off. 

I had 9 DP at this point, but in all honesty I forgot about them. If I had remembered, I'd have parked a unit of fiends on the right flank to support the weakening of the hearthguard. 

The Slickblades positioned themselves as the four chaos warriors charged to sacrifice themselves. The twinsouls charged into the icy droth

The eight twinsouls did 16 wounds to the magmadroth with some lucky rolls, killing it. The black magmadroth did nothing to Glutos, who did nothing in return. The Hearthguard slaughtered the chaos warriors and the slickblades went in when it was safe. Unfortunately, all ten of them fluffed and only killed one. I think the twin souls took their luck. 

With the twin souls in position and the remaining chaos warriors, I retook the right flank and the slickblades took the left. 

20210330_182329.jpg.4de86f3ed142c0e79d9b80ad42ebd4ee.jpg

Slaanesh: 10 VP

Fyreslayers: 10 VP

I won the roll off, but gave it to Fyreslayers again, rolling over their four droths with the wheels again, but doing less damage.

Fyreslayers Turn 3

The invisible droth came around to deal with the twin souls, trying to finish them off and the heathguard game to kill the chaos warriors.

The invisible droth was badly hurt by invisible Glutos's -1 to hit and didn't kill all that many twin souls, who were put on a -1 to hit by a prayer. The painted slickblades hit back and didn't fluff, killing the other 4 hearthguard before they could fight. Somehow the hearthguard didn't finish off the three warriors (leaving one on 1 wound), probably mostly thanks to the -1 to hit. The twin souls hurt the droth in return, and then took 4 MW from the blood. 

Glutos and black magmadroth had a slap fight in the centre again

20210330_183909.jpg.5522bfd90847536bc21eab31eae1bf0b.jpg

Slaanesh: 10 VP

Fyreslayers: 11 VP

Slaanesh Turn 3

With the left flank cleared, I was free to go for the opponent's final objective, but I opted to play it safe and hold back until all droths were dead. The twin souls stuck on the offense, and the contorted epitome cast overwhelming acquiescence on both remaining droths and the far unit of hearthguard. 

I remembered I could summon. and I used 12 of my 20-something DP to summon a keeper. 

The twin souls finished off the invisible droth taking some MW in return, and Glutos finished off the black droth. The slickblades killed the neon droth with a double pile in, taking two casualties. The remaining warrior just kept their distance from the hearthguard, hoping for the twinsouls to deal with them later. 

20210330_190051.jpg.e3fa2e259df947f12e07cc012fd51750.jpg 

Slaanesh: 15 VP 

Fyreslayers: 10 VP

While I won the roll off, at the request of the other player I let them have the turn and did 6 MWs to the Heathguard on the right flank, finishing them off. 

Fyreslayer Turn 4

This was a half turn as the Fyreslayer player had pretty much given up, but they enjoyed slaughtering the five slickblades with their 10 Hearthguard. 

After that point, we worked out that, with the DP I had, I could just stay on my own objectives and win the game so we called it there. 

20210330_191006.jpg.bd38ae8b868056509f7b810bfd39d674.jpg

Final thoughts

I really enjoyed this, to be honest. While the twin souls got very lucky and the slickblades got very unlucky, I felt overall it was very balanced luck wise.

I made the obvious mistake of not summoning when I could, but this would have just been a 'win more' rather than necessary to win (but could have made a difference in a tighter situation). Glutos was an absolute tank throughout and the twin souls weathered the storm too; the chaos warriors were super useful to just do various trash tasks like objective sitting, screening, and sacrifice charges. 

Again, I loved playing this army because I couldn't rely on some big buff strategy and instead had to come up with more complex plans with blocking movement channels, baiting, and countercharging. Despite letting my opponent double turn me turn 2 and never taking the double myself, I never felt on the back foot - I always felt in control of the battle.

It's this complexity that I love in our book. Other battletomes feel like the main goal is to just find the 'best' way to play a unit through buffs, and then the best way to implement this unit (e.g. through a teleport or a first turn charge). With this army, I feel more like I'm playing a wargame than a listbuilding game 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dicebod said:

Thanks @Sorrow!  I started painting this army about 6 months ago with the StD start collecting box and have been steadily adding to it since then.  Here's a few shots.  Definitely looking forward to adding some of the new seekers and Myrmidesh!

You can see some pics of this army in action against @Athrawes and his incredible (even better in person!) Lumineth here in his batrep: https://www.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/comments/lu6l60/lumineth_vs_new_hedonites_battle_report/ 

fztu2rdsc5k61.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 2.26.07 PM.png

Magnificent and inspirationnal, love your work. Kudos! Motivates me to finish my 750 pts hedonites project. Will try and post ‘em in a couple weeks.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Wanted to get the opinions on this list. Thematically this is the vanguard of the host. Lots of fast cav and shirtless scouting types/revelers. Or perhaps the peasants have to walk while the premo troops ride in style.

It's Lurid haze and is centered around putting maximum pressure on my opponent at once. The fast cavalry and however many units get to ambush go offensive, or just land near objectives/cover. The lurid haze command won't be useful on the marauders but should be helpful to the cavalry wing.

Spoiler

Keeper of secrets - lurid haze artifact - ? spell - Invader general

Darkoath Warqueen - Invader general

Darkoath Chieftain - Invader general, Lurid haze command trait, Rod of misrule

20 marauders

20 marauders

11 blissbarb archers

10 clawstriders

5 scourgestriders

5 slickblade seekers

5 blissbarb seekers

Seeker cavalcade

command point

I'm not certain about the second marauder unit or the command point/heroes. Mostly the chieftain. I like the models I have aesthetically but the chieftain's command ability seems a little confusing with the buff based on models in the unit. Maybe I'll replace them with the snake warcry guys. Save 20 points. *shrug* The second unit is more for holding the line/second wave duties. Act as a shield of sorts.

The warqueen is there for when I want to guarantee the marauder ambush or get that additional DP.

The keeper is there to keep up with the cavalry and hand out the double pile in or +1 to save. I wanted to have the 3 heroes to both get the depravity/command points, but also hand out battleshock immunity to the mortal mooks. 

Both wings get archer support to help free up units or hit critical targets. I contemplated replacing both with twinsouls but I'm not sure. It would free up some points ...

Thanks for taking a look and I look forward to your suggestions. Hope you're having a good week.

Since my last post, I played at 2 tournaments with 2 different lists of slanesh and both time had a 3-0
First one is my list or lurid haze with Sigvald, Gluttos, Shardspeaker, Harp-girl, keeper, 20 marauders. 10-10 archers, sybarites and geminds.
First game vs Idoneth on total conquest, with scryer and extr eels instead of eidolon,  summoned about 60 demonettes. Made a good bait on marauders that allowed me to tie up attacking eels.
Second game is LRL, on blade's edge against current top 2 player in my country. Keklis, 10-10 archers, 20-10 pikes, 5-5 horses, geminids, twinstone, portal. Opponent took the first turn, charged with 1 pack of horses into my line, scored 5 points. On retaliation Sigvald with keeper killed 5 horses and 10 pikes, gluttos and harp killed second horses. I scored only 3.
Opponent took second turn, didn't kill anything scored another 3 points. I charged last pack of pikemen with everything I got, marauders, gluttos, harp with +1 to wound from shardspeaker marauders killed 11 pikes. At that point opponent conceded.
Last game game vs Draconthion Seraphons with 20 chameleons and double slanns. Took the first turn and charged literally with everything (18" between deployments) killed everything on the field except for Kroak and staff in the reserves. Opponent tried to get out of this situation but no good. Overall I placed 4th because lost many point to painting

Second game was on TTS torney of 39 people I think.
Gluttos, mask, lord of pain with cameo, 5-5-5 CW with CCW and shields, 10-5 slick seekers, 5 bliss seekers, 5 plague cencor bearers, Cavalcade and geminids.
First game vs Nighthaunt on Battle for the Pass, nothing to say, opponent made 3 9" charges (no 10+ though) but everything was under -1 to hit from gluttos so everything survived, gave DP. Ultimately 10 Slick seekers blended everything.
Second game vs LRL on scorched earth. Similar list to the one above but 10 more pikes and less endless spells. I spread across the board with all heroes covering each group, Gluttos was in range of 2 points at the same time. He took the first turn, killed rats. I had a good spot for gluttos with Arcane terrain so he managed to unbind spells with +2 when needed. He tried to tie up slicks with horses buth they survived. I took 6 points on my turn, keeping my self away from counter charge. But in the end I was keeping him away from my objectives as much as possible and burning his own. So by the 3 round I had less units but a huge lead in points that he can't mathematically overcome.
Third game vs Seraphons on Forcing the hand. Thunderlizards, Kroak, skink heroes, 40 skinks, 2 Bastiladons, 1 Engine, 2 Salamanders, Thunderquake batalion, bound burning head. Not very pleasant matchup, we were keeping away from each others threat ranges for 2 turns, until he pushed forward on the 3 turn, main goal was to create a situation where his bastiladons can't shoot and 10 man slickblades 4 times. On 3rd turn I casted geminds and for the rest of the game kept his bastildons under -2 to hit. I also get 11 DP this turn so next turn with some reserved points I summoned a 30 block of demonettes to swarm the board.

In that event I finished first because no penalty for unpainted models. The Honest Wargamer mentioned this event in the recent video, so they went more detailed about my list and I focused more on matchups.

Pretty rough write up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've approached the Nobles of Excess (NoE) from the Godseeker perspective, using the 1+ Bravery and re-rolls to improve the morale from Scarlet Cavalcade (and is less vulnerable to LRL shenanigans and other abilities which shut down CAs). +1 to Charge has obvious synergy with NoE. Bladebringer pops cameo och sacrifice the item to Fane for permanent +1 to hit. I have considered Glutos as well (but I can't build everything all at once!). I'm also thinking if it might be better to drop one of the Painbringer units for Seeker Cavalcade. 

Love to hear your thoughts, tips, and ideas. Thanks!

Allegiance: Slaanesh - Host: Scarlet Cavalcade Godseekers Host (Host of Chaos) - 2k (on the nose)

LEADERS 

Lord of Pain - General - Command Trait: Embodiment of Haste - Artefact: Helm of the Last Rider

Bladebringer, Herald on Seeker Chariot - Artefact: Cameo of the Dark Prince - Lore of Slaanesh: Hysterical Frenzy

Shardspeaker of Slaanesh - Lore of Pain and Pleasure: Judgement of Excess

UNITS

10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls 

5 x Myrmidesh Painbringers

1 x Seeker Chariot

5 x Slickblade Seekers

5 x Slickblade Seekers

BATTALIONS : Nobles of Excess

ENDLESS SPELLS Wheels of Excruciation

3 hours ago, Havkai said:

Since my last post, I played at 2 tournaments with 2 different lists of slanesh and both time had a 3-0
First one is my list or lurid haze with Sigvald, Gluttos, Shardspeaker, Harp-girl, keeper, 20 marauders. 10-10 archers, sybarites and geminds.
First game vs Idoneth on total conquest, with scryer and extr eels instead of eidolon,  summoned about 60 demonettes. Made a good bait on marauders that allowed me to tie up attacking eels.
Second game is LRL, on blade's edge against current top 2 player in my country. Keklis, 10-10 archers, 20-10 pikes, 5-5 horses, geminids, twinstone, portal. Opponent took the first turn, charged with 1 pack of horses into my line, scored 5 points. On retaliation Sigvald with keeper killed 5 horses and 10 pikes, gluttos and harp killed second horses. I scored only 3.
Opponent took second turn, didn't kill anything scored another 3 points. I charged last pack of pikemen with everything I got, marauders, gluttos, harp with +1 to wound from shardspeaker marauders killed 11 pikes. At that point opponent conceded.
Last game game vs Draconthion Seraphons with 20 chameleons and double slanns. Took the first turn and charged literally with everything (18" between deployments) killed everything on the field except for Kroak and staff in the reserves. Opponent tried to get out of this situation but no good. Overall I placed 4th because lost many point to painting

Second game was on TTS torney of 39 people I think.
Gluttos, mask, lord of pain with cameo, 5-5-5 CW with CCW and shields, 10-5 slick seekers, 5 bliss seekers, 5 plague cencor bearers, Cavalcade and geminids.
First game vs Nighthaunt on Battle for the Pass, nothing to say, opponent made 3 9" charges (no 10+ though) but everything was under -1 to hit from gluttos so everything survived, gave DP. Ultimately 10 Slick seekers blended everything.
Second game vs LRL on scorched earth. Similar list to the one above but 10 more pikes and less endless spells. I spread across the board with all heroes covering each group, Gluttos was in range of 2 points at the same time. He took the first turn, killed rats. I had a good spot for gluttos with Arcane terrain so he managed to unbind spells with +2 when needed. He tried to tie up slicks with horses buth they survived. I took 6 points on my turn, keeping my self away from counter charge. But in the end I was keeping him away from my objectives as much as possible and burning his own. So by the 3 round I had less units but a huge lead in points that he can't mathematically overcome.
Third game vs Seraphons on Forcing the hand. Thunderlizards, Kroak, skink heroes, 40 skinks, 2 Bastiladons, 1 Engine, 2 Salamanders, Thunderquake batalion, bound burning head. Not very pleasant matchup, we were keeping away from each others threat ranges for 2 turns, until he pushed forward on the 3 turn, main goal was to create a situation where his bastiladons can't shoot and 10 man slickblades 4 times. On 3rd turn I casted geminds and for the rest of the game kept his bastildons under -2 to hit. I also get 11 DP this turn so next turn with some reserved points I summoned a 30 block of demonettes to swarm the board.

In that event I finished first because no penalty for unpainted models. The Honest Wargamer mentioned this event in the recent video, so they went more detailed about my list and I focused more on matchups.

Pretty rough write up.

Very interesting, ty for the write up! It’s helpful to receive insights into the army at a tournament level. Judging from your experiences and from what others have said, it seems Glutos, slickblades, and chaos warriors for their cost are going to be central to a variety of lists. 

If painbringers were to be brought down in cost to around 120 pts, would you consider them over chaos warriors? On average, how easy was it to generate DP, and how influential was summoning throughout the games you played? 

12 minutes ago, AngryPanda said:

Very interesting, ty for the write up! It’s helpful to receive insights into the army at a tournament level. Judging from your experiences and from what others have said, it seems Glutos, slickblades, and chaos warriors for their cost are going to be central to a variety of lists. 

If painbringers were to be brought down in cost to around 120 pts, would you consider them over chaos warriors? On average, how easy was it to generate DP, and how influential was summoning throughout the games you played? 

Yes, at minimum squad painbringers would be more interesting if they costed 120 for 5. But CWs have unbuilt 5+ shrug from MW. Also in case of bigger blobs of 15-20 models as staying power CWs are superior to Painbringers but less effective as an attacking force. Glutos is MVP, it hard for me to design armylist without him. Slickblades are only good in Cavalcade. Without it they are mediocre.

About DP - most of the DP are generated via Geminids. Expericenced players are already trying to mitigate DP gain by either playing safe of focusing on 1 unit until it is destroyed. Either way, on average it is 5-6DP. But in case of LRL it is very hard to farm DP for some reason and I managed to get only 9 in 3 turns. 

Edited by Havkai
  • Like 1

Lurid Haze

Gluttos - 400

Chaos Lord on Karkdarak - 230

Chaos Warriors x 5 - 90

Chaos Warriors x 5 - 90

Blissbarb Archers x 11 - 160

Slickblade Seekers x 10 - 400

Slickblade Seekers x 5 - 200

Blissbarb Seekers x 5 - 180

Seeker Calvacade - 140

Geminids - 60

Command Point - 50

2000/2000

Had some games with the casual list, time to move toward the competitive side.

The Seekers being monopose kills me. Had Syll'esske in addition as the list is hero light, but the block of 10 Seekers is just too good as a general threat. Even outside of pile in shenanigans it can alphastrike something and smash it to pieces.

Summoning in an Enrapturess turn 2 is almost always amazing. She generates DP almost guaranteed with her shot, messes with opposing casters, serves as a 4th summoning anchor point...it just really sets you up for a good turn 3. 

Chaos Lord on Kark having a +3 save is the only reason I take him. The command ability letting him be at +2 save on command has been hugely clutch and lets him use his maneuverability to essentially be an anvil to low threat melee chaffe that look to bully fringe objectives. On paper this guy should be slightly less survivable than Sigvald but the difference between +3 and +4 save when dealing with rend in addition to saving 30 points and 9 wounds vs 6...yeah. I stick with this boy. 

Blissbarb Archers are sort of being slept on imo. 3 sets of 5 warriors is just so bad in my experience. The Archers die to a stiff breeze, sure, but if they don't... they just generate such disgusting amounts of depravity every single turn. 160 points is expensive in a vacuum but paying 70 points to turn a do nothing unit into "answer me or my summoning currency is seeing a 20% boost"...well suddenly a single block becomes no brainer. But only so many units exist on the table to be shot at, so absolutely never take more than a single unit of these.

In shorter terms: you are hard pressed to find a more effecient way to spend 70 points and gain a high tier threat. 

Likewise, Slickblades only have so many targets to charge due to board size. Subbing 5 for a unit of Blissbarb Seekers that can jockey for weaker held flank objectives and still contribute depravity every turn is kind of mandatory in my experience. The catch is 20 wounds for 180 points is an insane steal, so unlike Blissbarb Archers whose only justification is that they fill a battleline requirement, the Seekers are just flat out a points effecient tar pit. 

For the record I have never found myself hating a battletome more. I have learned a lot and would say my win rate is about 50% now whereas it was 30% in the first month. But the wins require squeezing blood from the stone, manipulating battlefield space and anchoring your strategy around two very unfun mechanics (-1 to hit spam/stacking and the much discussed Calvacade pile in), and rarely feel fun for me or my opponent no matter who is winning. 

I did read the responses to my last post and am absolutely thrilled that this book is working for many of you. But I will probably bow out and simply lurk, to avoid being a negative nancy. Figured I would contribute my final thoughts on a list and how we play. 

• Like 6

I shared my Hedonites in the painting thread but I saw people were sharing them here too, so I hope it's okay for me to give you all some photos of the things i've painted since March.

I think the tome sounds fun, but also I am not a comp AoS player. I adore the models, and that is 90% of my investment in any army. I have only painted mortals yet, but I have 10 Hellstriders on the way, and then after that I think i'll look at the daemon half for summon/list variety. I have very much enjoyed painting this stuff, it's been the first AoS army i've really fallen for since Maggotkin when I started out a few years ago. Shame the tome isn't landing with a lot of people, when all this lockdown stuff ends, I am looking forward to getting my army to the table! 

Anyway, photos, which is what people care about!

1317887362_TheArmies.png.d307d6f830bc546faf6332a56d6c3a16.png1564859535_SlaaneshLeaders.png.bb20ee10656cdf40533ed16104368b41.png1512879638_SlickbladeSeekers.png.f5adae8c21511f786a6787a5735f5ef3.png2029341921_MyrmideshPainbringers.png.9d48f8fd79ae0a86a834d6db0f866e8a.png1306103803_SymbraeshTwinSouls.png.ed04d94c7ad6e0f4ad3651b08e5317cb.png

Predictably, Glutos is too big to fit into the army shot, so here he is, in all his excessive glory.

1789162375_Glutos1bs.png.88b024f7023bde7cc5181d48a35d0d53.png482726911_Glutos1s.png.b7e6c03f153756f4c6c26cb6b69fd787.png1303083962_GlutosSmaller.png.857a1e299525b60b0c9038bd46df55cb.png934037458_GlutosCloseUpS.png.2e1b04a73825084ff9f7d1d5a9d8d24d.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 6

2 hours ago, Nasrod said:

Lurid Haze

Gluttos - 400

Chaos Lord on Karkdarak - 230

Chaos Warriors x 5 - 90

Chaos Warriors x 5 - 90

Blissbarb Archers x 11 - 160

Slickblade Seekers x 10 - 400

Slickblade Seekers x 5 - 200

Blissbarb Seekers x 5 - 180

Seeker Calvacade - 140

Geminids - 60

Command Point - 50

2000/2000

Had some games with the casual list, time to move toward the competitive side.

The Seekers being monopose kills me. Had Syll'esske in addition as the list is hero light, but the block of 10 Seekers is just too good as a general threat. Even outside of pile in shenanigans it can alphastrike something and smash it to pieces.

Summoning in an Enrapturess turn 2 is almost always amazing. She generates DP almost guaranteed with her shot, messes with opposing casters, serves as a 4th summoning anchor point...it just really sets you up for a good turn 3. 

Chaos Lord on Kark having a +3 save is the only reason I take him. The command ability letting him be at +2 save on command has been hugely clutch and lets him use his maneuverability to essentially be an anvil to low threat melee chaffe that look to bully fringe objectives. On paper this guy should be slightly less survivable than Sigvald but the difference between +3 and +4 save when dealing with rend in addition to saving 30 points and 9 wounds vs 6...yeah. I stick with this boy. 

Blissbarb Archers are sort of being slept on imo. 3 sets of 5 warriors is just so bad in my experience. The Archers die to a stiff breeze, sure, but if they don't... they just generate such disgusting amounts of depravity every single turn. 160 points is expensive in a vacuum but paying 70 points to turn a do nothing unit into "answer me or my summoning currency is seeing a 20% boost"...well suddenly a single block becomes no brainer. But only so many units exist on the table to be shot at, so absolutely never take more than a single unit of these.

In shorter terms: you are hard pressed to find a more effecient way to spend 70 points and gain a high tier threat. 

Likewise, Slickblades only have so many targets to charge due to board size. Subbing 5 for a unit of Blissbarb Seekers that can jockey for weaker held flank objectives and still contribute depravity every turn is kind of mandatory in my experience. The catch is 20 wounds for 180 points is an insane steal, so unlike Blissbarb Archers whose only justification is that they fill a battleline requirement, the Seekers are just flat out a points effecient tar pit. 

For the record I have never found myself hating a battletome more. I have learned a lot and would say my win rate is about 50% now whereas it was 30% in the first month. But the wins require squeezing blood from the stone, manipulating battlefield space and anchoring your strategy around two very unfun mechanics (-1 to hit spam/stacking and the much discussed Calvacade pile in), and rarely feel fun for me or my opponent no matter who is winning. 

I did read the responses to my last post and am absolutely thrilled that this book is working for many of you. But I will probably bow out and simply lurk, to avoid being a negative nancy. Figured I would contribute my final thoughts on a list and how we play. 

Thank you for your insight! Your list is exxentially what I was pondering about to play casual/semi competitive. You really addressed my ponderings wonderfully.

Would you consider enlisting an enrapturess as a starting hero?

what are your thoughts, within the confines of your list, about the Epitome? In 1000pts it is pricy but until I get to 2000 and afford the points for Glutos, would you recommend an epitome hero (potentially the only hero of a 1000 list)?

thinking about:

- 1 Contorted epitome

- 11 blissbarb archers

- 5 chaos warriors

- 5 blissbarb seekers

- 5 slickblade seekers

- Seeker cavalcade battalion

my other thought is to drop battalion in favour of this:

- 1 Bladebringer on hellflayer // Epitome?

- Infernal enrapturess

- 11 blissbarb archers

- 5 chaos warriors

- 5 blissbarb seekers

- 5 slickblade seekers

What would your recommend? I only play painted so I want a clear plan before I paint things I won’t use...

Thanks in advance

Avoiding quotes cause too lazy to snip on mobile and don't want to make a quote tower. 

I would drop the Battalion at 1000 for sure, points are too precious. Enrapturess is sadly too expensive to start with on the table for my taste, but so is 80% of the army; considering you are basically swapping the batallion for her in your example, it isn't so bad.

Just be sure you don't let her get shot off the table. LRL and Ossiarch are common opponents for me; a summoned Enrapturess targeted by a Crawler or a Power of Hysh buffed 20 man Warden block is a dream. One I spent 140 points on... Especially at 1000 points? Well maybe that is better than losing the Slickblades, but I certainly don't like it. Keep in mind the Blissbarbs are 340 points; adding the Enrapturess is nearly half of your army being dedicated range. For the same price, you can take 5 more Warriors and a command point, or 5 Hellstriders to harass objectives. 

Epitome is a good stand in for Gluttos if you absolutely must have an endles spell cast. I think Herald on Exalted Bladebringer for 250 is a better analogue; it has a huge base, wants to get into the thick of it, and commands your opponent's attention. It also can keep up with the slickblades. 1000 is a very different game in general especially for HoS. The Depravity points feel far more powerful to save up for something like 3 Fiends or 20 Daemonettes on turn 2 because they are noticeable force multipliers on that scale that still arrive pretty easily. 

Chaos Lord on Karak for a 2+ save is still my go to, but Epitome's mortal wound protection and Exalted Chariot having a 4+ and a chunky amount of wounds, on top of no penalties/brackets as it takes damage, are fine substitutes that shouldn't matter except against WAAC players. 

Ultimately remmeber to play what you have fun with. It is why despite my list above, in non TTS games I will be using 6 Fiends and 5 Chaos Knights. Because 20 of the same 5 monopose mounts are going to pull me out of the game like nothing else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a list I’ve been contemplating to bring for fun that centers around using mid-sized units of painbringers. If we do get a point drop on the mortal units, I could potentially add more painbringers to screen Glutos, increase the size of the slickblade unit to 10, or switch out the chaos warriors for a unit of blissbarb archers to generate depravity.  

2000/2000

Lurid Haze 

Supreme Symberites- 150

Heroes:

Glutos- 400

Shardspeaker- 150

Lord of Pain- 150

- General #1

- Artifact: Oil of Exultation

Lord of Pain- 150

- General #2

- Command Trait: Feverish Anticipation

- Artifact: Rod of Misrule

Troops:

Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh x5- 90

Painbringers x 10- 300

Painbringers x 10- 300

Calvary:

Slickblade Seekers- 200

Endless Spells:

Emerald Swarm (50) 

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh(60)/ or Chronomatic Cogs (60) 

9 hours ago, Nasrod said:

Avoiding quotes cause too lazy to snip on mobile and don't want to make a quote tower. 

I would drop the Battalion at 1000 for sure, points are too precious. Enrapturess is sadly too expensive to start with on the table for my taste, but so is 80% of the army; considering you are basically swapping the batallion for her in your example, it isn't so bad.

Just be sure you don't let her get shot off the table. LRL and Ossiarch are common opponents for me; a summoned Enrapturess targeted by a Crawler or a Power of Hysh buffed 20 man Warden block is a dream. One I spent 140 points on... Especially at 1000 points? Well maybe that is better than losing the Slickblades, but I certainly don't like it. Keep in mind the Blissbarbs are 340 points; adding the Enrapturess is nearly half of your army being dedicated range. For the same price, you can take 5 more Warriors and a command point, or 5 Hellstriders to harass objectives. 

Epitome is a good stand in for Gluttos if you absolutely must have an endles spell cast. I think Herald on Exalted Bladebringer for 250 is a better analogue; it has a huge base, wants to get into the thick of it, and commands your opponent's attention. It also can keep up with the slickblades. 1000 is a very different game in general especially for HoS. The Depravity points feel far more powerful to save up for something like 3 Fiends or 20 Daemonettes on turn 2 because they are noticeable force multipliers on that scale that still arrive pretty easily. 

Chaos Lord on Karak for a 2+ save is still my go to, but Epitome's mortal wound protection and Exalted Chariot having a 4+ and a chunky amount of wounds, on top of no penalties/brackets as it takes damage, are fine substitutes that shouldn't matter except against WAAC players. 

Ultimately remmeber to play what you have fun with. It is why despite my list above, in non TTS games I will be using 6 Fiends and 5 Chaos Knights. Because 20 of the same 5 monopose mounts are going to pull me out of the game like nothing else. 

I've been considering a Slaanesh Daemon Prince for the same purpose. Do you find the self-healing significant on the karkadrak lord, or is it generally kind of an afterthought?

14 hours ago, Silphid said:

thinking about:

- 1 Contorted epitome

- 11 blissbarb archers

- 5 chaos warriors

- 5 blissbarb seekers

- 5 slickblade seekers

- Seeker cavalcade battalion

my other thought is to drop battalion in favour of this:

- 1 Bladebringer on hellflayer // Epitome?

- Infernal enrapturess

- 11 blissbarb archers

- 5 chaos warriors

- 5 blissbarb seekers

- 5 slickblade seekers

I personally prefer the top list, but I'm not sure if you need the contorted epitome in there - they're a great caster, but with no endless spells or hero to keep alive, I don't know if you'll get full use out of them unless you have some spells you really want to cast. They're not bad by any stretch, but you may be better served with a normal Herald and another unit of chaos warriors for objectives, or even an exalted hero to carry the second artifact. The contorted epitome is much better in 2000 points as you can afford an endless spell and need more dispells.

As for the second list, I think the bladebringers are cool, but you're usually better going big of going home and just taking the exalted variant. I'm not sure if you would want to find 50 pts to save somewhere? If not, I think the Epitome is better 

That said, I think I've found with Slaanesh lists that it doesn't exactly matter what's in them, just that you play to your strengths :)

5 hours ago, AngryPanda said:

2000/2000

Lurid Haze 

Supreme Symberites- 150

Heroes:

Glutos- 400

Shardspeaker- 150

Lord of Pain- 150

- General #1

- Artifact: Oil of Exultation

Lord of Pain- 150

- General #2

- Artifact: Rod of Misrule

Troops:

Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh x5- 90

Painbringers x 10- 300

Painbringers x 10- 300

Calvary:

Slickblade Seekers- 200

Endless Spells:

Emerald Swarm (50) 

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh(60)/ or Chronomatic Cogs (60) 

I like this list - I think you have a nice balance of tanking and threat, though one possible issue you may run into is not having enough chaff to hold objectives.

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea, but I'll stick it out there as it might help your chaff problem: get rid of Supreme Sybarites, split your painbringers into either a 10 and two 5s or four 5s, and take the nobles of excess. With the painbringers split, you could chose to remove the chaos warriors, or you could keep them. 

Or even get rid of them and replace the LoP with an exalted hero to hold the important artifact; with the spare 150 points you can rebuy Supreme Sybarites or buy another unit of painbringers.

Basically the use of this would be more board control and MSU. It also allows a reroll on the charge which is nice for your MWs, and 10 painbringers would struggle to all get in.

Edited by Enoby
  • Like 2

In other news, I had a 1000pt game against Tzeetch. They were using a flamer chariot and a herald chariot, plus two units of screamers, an exalted flamer, a unit of 6 flamers, and a magister. I think they had the flamer 'host' which had them possibly hitting on 2s and wounding on 2s. 

I had Lurid Haze, Sigvald, 2×5 Chaos Warriors, 10 Twinsouls, 5 Slickblades. 

We were playing focal points.

Before going further, I think 1k points is an awkward value; many armies don't feel complete at this level and often lack key components, as well as games tending to be over much more quickly. I think Slaanesh and Tzeentch can both suffer at 1k points. 

I chose to go first, giving the twin souls their 5++ and teleporting Sigvald to the backlines on the left flank. I moved the Slickblades up to try score a lucky first turn charge against the screamers on the right flank, and the twin souls moved up the centre facing the flamers. Sigvald made the charge, killing the chariot with ease and taking a MW in return, whereas the Slickblades failed on two 3s in a row. The chaos warriors and twin souls captured my back and the centre objectives for 4vp. 

Tzeentch's turn had some magic pepper the Slikcblades, killing one and putting one on 2. The screamers ran over Sigvald and the Slickblades but did nothing, and the flamers and exalted flamer shot into the 10 twinsouls with their 24 2/2/-(-1)/d3 shooting attacks. Through some lucky 5++, only 4.5 twinsouls died. However in the battleshock phase their luck ran out, and I rolled a 6, killing 3 of them. No Slickblade ran thankfully and I was on only about 3dp. 

They captured the centre objective and their back ones, also putting them on 4vp.

I thankfully was not double turned, and charged Sigvald into the screamers, the twin souls (now rr hits) into the flamers, and the slickblades into the other screamers. Sigvald rolled a 10 to charge and overkilled, the three twinsouls killed three flamers, with one dying to MWs in return, and the screamers killed one of the slickblades. The Slickblades killed all of the screamers in return. I was on about 4dp at this time because Tzeentch stuff just dies, and I scored my two objectives and the opponent's far objectives with Sigvald and the Slickblades, scoring me 6VP to give me 10VP total.

Tzeentch went, failed all casts, and shot the twinsouls to death with the flamers as well as putting some other wounds here and there, finally getting me to more than 6dp. They scored centre objective only, putting them on 6VP. 

I won roll off and went first, summoning 10 daemonettes onto Sigvald's point and charging into the flamers with him. The Slickblades went into the other chariot. Sigvald killed all the flamers and the Slickblades killed the chariot. I scored the centre objective as the exalted flamer was positioned too far out, scoring a maximum 8 points for a total of 18 vs 6. Tzeentch had two units left on the board and called it. 

I don't like making judgements from 1000 point games, but I can say I think every unit in this list performed well and as expected, even though the twinsouls got very unlucky in their battleshock and first set of attacks (lots of 2s to wound), they took concentrated flamer fire for two turns, leaving the rest of my army safe. I think a hero nearby is very important for BS immunity but I didn't have the points. The Tzeentch list didn't use horrors, which would have been more of an issue, but I think I'd have coped - the Tzeentch player did say they felt they had no objective staying power without horrors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So reading though peoples posts I have liberally borrowed ideas to try and make a lurid haze list to try out, and finally try and charge siggy into some people.  Biggest problems I have with the list is I would have liked another unit of warriors and it is a little magic light -

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Lurid Haze Invaders Host (Host of Chaos)
Keeper of Secrets (340)
- General
- Sinistrous Hand
- Artefact: Oil of Exultation
- Host Option: General
- Spell: Progeny of Damnation
Lord of Pain (150)
- Artefact: The Rod of Misrule
Sigvald, Prince of Slaanesh (260)
The Masque (130)
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
10 x Symbaresh Twinsouls (340)
5 x Slickblade Seekers (200)
5 x Slickblade Seekers (200)
Seeker Cavalcade (140)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

I have also considered esske, so I could finally try and combo her, siggy and the masque but feel like I would need to rework the list a fair bit more to make that work properly.  Maybe going down the supreme symberites road rather than having a seeker cavalcade in every list, but the cavalcade is one of the best things slaanesh has going just now.