AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

Am I right to assume there will not be any point change until a GHB 2021 in July?

reading the rules for new Lumineth windchargers where they basically get 6” pile in on the charge and do not have to pile in to closest enemy (free to move around the enemy every turn), I am frankly jealous. What we try to get from the seeker cavalcade comes built in for lumineth. i know, I know it’s not exactly the same, but it feels lie, a swit ability meant for our “fastest cavalry in the game”. They even get an ability to give their cavalry 16” fly movement... sigh.

perhaps play lumineth count as with my new hedonites? I wanted moryals anyway, not interested to be forced into summoning dozens of daemonettes...

17 minutes ago, Silphid said:

Am I right to assume there will not be any point change until a GHB 2021 in July?

Yes, unless there's an emergency FAQ, you would be correct to assume this :)

17 minutes ago, Silphid said:

reading the rules for new Lumineth windchargers where they basically get 6” pile in on the charge and do not have to pile in to closest enemy (free to move around the enemy every turn), I am frankly jealous

Bear in mind, this does not work like the cavalcade rule; they get an extra 3" pile in, but very importantly cannot pile in from an extra 3" away. What this means is that they have to start within 3" to pile in at all and use this ability, and this usually requires a charge. This is, imo, worse than Seeker Cavalcade which does not require a charge and allows a retreat and pile in.

It sounds similar but will work significantly different in game and I think, unless these new models have crazy rules, will be considerably worse than cavalcade under nearly all circumstances.

Edit: also, out Locus is a weirdly strong counter to this unit

Edit 2: I realise this may read like I'm arguing against you, but it's not meant to be that - more just my opinion on why I like Cavalcade more than this, not that you're wrong or something :) 

Edited by Enoby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 3/15/2021 at 5:50 PM, azdimy said:

GW official base size for them is the worst. They cheapened on the box and gave a chariot base for them when in fantasy battle they were on a 150x100mm same as a soulgrinder which translated to a 160mm round base. I based mine proper and its a disadvantage game wise but at least I don t have 50% of the model hanging off the base

I think they tried to maintain it being both 40k and Fantasy at the time and GW has dropped the ball with bases recently.  Early AoS we saw no official basing (Shaggoths on 60 mm rounds, now they are on ovals).  I wouldn't say there is a proper base that is different from the official one.  Particularly if it's going quite large.  

On 3/16/2021 at 8:10 AM, pnkdth said:

Seeker chariots in a Seeker Cavalcade battalion in Godseekers could be an interesting variant with similar output. 2 per unit at 260 points, very fast, can retreat and charge (more DPs cause Godseekers + more objective control), battleline in Godseekers, and that wonderful 6" range activation/pile-in. Better yet, how about 3 Bladebringers on Exalted seeker chariots and a beefed out Seeker Cavalcade with Seeker chariots?

3 Bladebringers on exalted chariot, 2 x 5 slickblade seekers, 3 x 2 seeker chariots comes in at 1930, 106 wounds (most on 4+ save). Leaves a bit of room for another CP, bound spells, or some cheap backline unit to keep back objectives clear. 

I've been thinking the same.  The issue is I want lots of Seeker Chariots with heralds actually.  for the retreat and charge bumper cards from the battalion and warscroll.  I wish the exalted chariots also had retreat and charge.  

On 3/17/2021 at 2:40 AM, Enoby said:

I'm also quite curious about the Cygor and Gorgon - both kind of suck, 

What do you guys think?  

Cygors are only not-terrible in multiples in Darkwalkers.  Adding them in Slaanesh is not beneficial.  The Ghorgon is okay but like all Warherd swingy.  You either do well or bad.  Like 1-3 wounds or 20.  

I think with BoC, having lost the exploding 6s you look at them as cheap BL/Battalion or lean into them for depravity and using the Bestigors to get across fast.  

On 3/18/2021 at 10:03 PM, CeleFAZE said:

The exalted hero is a great points-filler for 90 points, and with its situational self-healing can be a depravity generating nuisance that could do well for us. 

The Exalted Hero is an excellent choice.  He was last book and still remains one.

1 hour ago, Silphid said:

Oof,.. 

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Oof again...  Depressing thought to realize.

20 hours ago, PiotrW said:

And on a more general note: any interesting backstory ideas for Hedonites you guys came up with?

If it is interesting I'll leave to you but the cliff notes are like this:

Noble named Ashir D'velve (the name I gave my Dark Eldar Archon, now Drukhari, back in 1999 and I just like it) raised with a passion for writing plays/performances and spread it to the lowliest commoner and royalty alike. He wants to be a man of the people and recruit servants and staff from beggars, the homeless, and orphans. He prides himself in raising them up from the gutter, bringing them into his plays and performances. Gradually, his pride, ego, and teetering on the edge of a messiah-complex catches the attention of a certain deity (or daemon) who start to whisper suggestions in his ear. Ashir now starts to move towards more extreme ways to find out new stories, objects, and other tools for inspiration. Slowly but surely he withdraws from the public claiming to be working on his greatest work yet, eventually letting his staff go abruptly. Outwardly this is the last the world know of Ashir, presumed dead,  his estates fell into disrepair. The derelict building became a place of superstition and fear.

The truth is the staff never left the estates. Some also heard the whispers also and serve him still. The rest were fashioned into gruesome costumes for ever more sadistic and extreme performances. His entourage now tour the realms, selling their services to those willing to taste forbidden pleasures and experiences. Anonymity and damnation guaranteed. The only mark of their passing are sickening displays of art made from the bodies who simply were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Preying on the same kind of people once tried to shelter, using the underground and secretive societies to ensnare new souls and victims alike. Trading the public stage for exclusive shows for the twisted and wealthy.

Good intentions twisted by obsession turning into the darkest possible mirror of what he wishes to be. His vanity and pride pushing him further, much to the delight of the dark prince. Mostly a mortal warband for now but as the lore behind this merry group of performers grow, daemonic forces will start to be included in his clientele and eventually as performers themselves. I love to write and expand with the army I make, makes me care more for my plastic figures.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Silphid said:

perhaps play lumineth count as with my new hedonites?

Please no ;_;

There was a time in 40k where every chaos space marines army was count as space wolves or count as blood angels or count as black templars. I don't want to go back to that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kahadin said:

Please no ;_;

There was a time in 40k where every chaos space marines army was count as space wolves or count as blood angels or count as black templars. I don't want to go back to that.

I’m not being serious. My count as armies (have a few) are designed and customized specifically for the role, not a cheap means tu play the power flavor of the month.

just dissapointing to have to wait 4 months for the hope of points afjustments that will bring our listbuilding into sharper focus. I’ll finish 1000pts and move to the next project in the meantime.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kahadin said:

Please no ;_;

Or everyone was gluing bolt pistols on chaos steeds and counting them as Chaos Bikers.  

I actually had an opponent use his Black Templars as Dark Angels in a 6th ed tournament but didn't tell anyone until very late game.... 

3 hours ago, Silphid said:

perhaps play lumineth count as with my new hedonites? I wanted moryals anyway, not interested to be forced into summoning dozens of daemonettes...

Now to flip.  If you actually converted them and and it was more a cult of slaanesh?  go for it.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I've been thinking the same.  The issue is I want lots of Seeker Chariots with heralds actually.  for the retreat and charge bumper cards from the battalion and warscroll.  I wish the exalted chariots also had retreat and charge.  

Yeah, weighing the benefit of getting fewer drops versus versatility. I'm also a fan on the Herald spell 'acquiescence' and combining it with the bigger version (aptly named 'overwhelming acquiescence') on the Contorted Epitome to try and get at least one of the spells through. Works with shooting too since the re-rolls of 1 isn't restricted to melee. If both spells go through you're getting 2-4 enemy units to put that effect on.

As it stands I'm not expecting to out-drop many armies anyways unless I decide to commit on the Seeker Cavalcade and Godseekers some day in the future. It is a cool concept, I just want to do more than build chariots!

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Enoby said:

Oops, you're right! I never really tried but I always thought you could - maybe it was the mention of Plague Monks being taken in lists, which have the Nurgle keyword too

Possibly :) Skaven are, in general, a faction into their own - they can only ally with Nurgle and only if you play them as Clans Pestilens. Other than that, they keep to themselves... which fits the fluff but is a bit frustrating when coming up with lists. I'd love to field a Skaven / Slaves army, but it's just not legal according to the rules...

So, if you gives a Slaves to Darkness model the Slaanesh mark (and if you take the Depraved Drove battalion and give Beasts of Chaos the Slaanesh mark), they become part of the Slaanesh army and so get access to artifacts, command traits, and battleline status - and don't count towards allies. 

However, there is a big 'but', and that is while they do have the Slaanesh keyword, they don't gain Euphoric Killers as they don't have the Hedonites keyword. This means non-Hedonite Slaanesh units tend to lack damage. However, they're still very useful for cheap battleline, screening, bodies for objectives, and cheap depravity. 

I see! Thanks :)

BTW. With the DPs existing, does it mean that Hedonites favour aggressive  tactics and melee combat? It seems they get more DPs that way...

I *think* (but I don't know if it's ever been officially confirmed, this is just based on stories and lore snippets) that daemons usually need to be summoned, but there are a few exceptions:

- When enough of something is happening that the veil breaks (what our depravity points are meant to show)

- Sometimes daemons interact with people regardless of being summoned (e.g. Glutos's daemon prince); this isn't just limited to talking and the daemon can exercise some of its power 

Another big point is that, unlike 40k and Fantasy, daemons stick around a lot longer without help. They're not quite indefinite, and do get weaker over time (unless they're sacrificed to or find another way to keep themselves going), but you could have an army of daemons exist in reality for years. 

Yeah, I was wondering whether the fluff allows for stuff like a Keeper of Secrets living in a hidden temple, worshipped by a mass of followers...

Anyway, there should more fluff in the battletomes! I've read the whole Hedonites battletome and I still have question regarding their beliefs, how their daemons operate etc...

35 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

Anyway, there should more fluff in the battletomes! I've read the whole Hedonites battletome and I still have question regarding their beliefs, how their daemons operate etc...

This is a big question I have too. @Sorrow makes a good point that we really need a Hedonite focused Black Library book - something that went into a deep dive about at least one Hedonite society. 

The thing I love about Slaanesh lore is just how varied it can be; there's no one way to do them and everyone's idea for an army is valid, so I'd love if we saw Slaanesh as the protagonists. I don't mean 'good' (though perhaps they think they're good) but rather showing their struggles and strengths. Battletomes are good for an overview, but as we are so varied it can leave us sparse on specifics. A book can at least answer some questions.

To be honest, I'd like it if they gave more AoS named characters black library books - Glutos, for example. It'd make the AoS lore feel more its own thing

35 minutes ago, Enoby said:

This is a big question I have too. @Sorrow makes a good point that we really need a Hedonite focused Black Library book - something that went into a deep dive about at least one Hedonite society. 

The thing I love about Slaanesh lore is just how varied it can be; there's no one way to do them and everyone's idea for an army is valid, so I'd love if we saw Slaanesh as the protagonists. I don't mean 'good' (though perhaps they think they're good) but rather showing their struggles and strengths. Battletomes are good for an overview, but as we are so varied it can leave us sparse on specifics. A book can at least answer some questions.

To be honest, I'd like it if they gave more AoS named characters black library books - Glutos, for example. It'd make the AoS lore feel more its own thing

My general problem with AoS lore is that the whole setting is so big, crazy and cosmic that it's a bit hard to engage emotionally with all of this. There's so much magic everywhere, the world seems impossibly big (I mean, Hysh has what, ten continents? And it's only one of eight realms...) with only a few locations defined and everything is so surreal... As much as I don't like to admit it, when I read about the old WFB / WFRP fluff, I find the world more engaging. It's just more... tangible and cohesive.

I mentioned it over the Lumineth forum, but I'd really love for GW to publish something in the vein of "Guide to the Mortal Realms": a thick book dedicated solely to presenting the setting. An in-depth exploration of the realms, with more detailed chronology, some more info on which areas are controlled by which faction... Also, a closer look at the important characters and their personalities, as well as the factions and their philosophies. Not saying GW should define every single piece of the land etc., but a kind of "setting bible" for the players really would be great.

And coming back to the Hedonites - any ideas on how to make them sympathetic... or, at least, how to connect with them emotionally? They are so twisted it's a bit hard for me to put myself into their heads, work out any motivations for them etc...

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, PiotrW said:

My general problem with AoS lore is that the whole setting is so big, crazy and cosmic that it's a bit hard to engage emotionally with all of this. There's so much magic everywhere, the world seems impossibly big (I mean, Hysh has what, ten continents? And it's only one of eight realms...) with only a few locations defined and everything is so surreal... As much as I don't like to admit it, when I read about the old WFB / WFRP fluff, I find the world more engaging. It's just more... tangible and cohesive.

I mentioned it over the Lumineth forum, but I'd really love for GW to publish something in the vein of "Guide to the Mortal Realms": a thick book dedicated solely to presenting the setting. An in-depth exploration of the realms, with more detailed chronology, some more info on which areas are controlled by which faction... Also, a closer look at the important characters and their personalities, as well as the factions and their philosophies. Not saying GW should define every single piece of the land etc., but a kind of "setting bible" for the players really would be great.

And coming back to the Hedonites - any ideas on how to make them sympathetic... or, at least, how to connect with them emotionally? They are so twisted it's a bit hard for me to put myself into their heads, work out any motivations for them etc...

Well, as Enoby said before, the cool thing about Hedonites is that every type of excess can be a whole subculture/army theme. I been trying to submit to Black Library my own Slaanesh cult for two consecutive years now (both times rejected, and i admit im really bad writing in english as they demand to do). But my take may be something akin to what you are looking for, as is based around a warband that developed a philosophy toward excess of love and freedom. They are literally white knights that fight for the right of everyone to do the more twisted and unsettlings things to others, as long as it is based in a consensual form of love. They fight for YOUR right to be ensalved and tortured even if you live in a society that utterly despise torture and enslavement. But they kinda fight too for YOUR right to choose between being the torturer or the tortured (or both). So is more about fighting for freedom in a world full of undeveloped medieval societies. As an example of this we got my original Keeper of Secrets Qatieta just to mention one character. She is a greater daemon born from the guilty desire of Slaanesh into feeling excessive forms of submision and pampering, contrary to almost every other Keeper of Secrets she is somewhat naive and soft, and is literally the pet of the warband. Other Daemons mock her and other mortals want to use her as the manipulable obedient weapon of mass destruction that she is. But within her warband the Viscions have sworn to fight for her right to be a pet and stay out of the combat fields. And most of my first project of novel revolves around this group trying to scape a bigger army of Slaanesh Invaders that want to capture her. There is a lot more to it, but you get the idea.

As a person that is multigender in the real world and that deal with BDSM (wich is much more than a sexual theme by the way, it got a lot to do with the way persons share their feeling, lust being only a small part and love being a way bigger part) i think that the way freedom of choice works in Slaanesh is one of the more sympathetic aspects of the faction. Of course, you got the part in wich someone overextends his freedom to the point of negating yours, and to prevent that is for what my Viscions fight for, but that happen in almost every other society, cannot really say is simply a Slaanesh thing. In other places they maybe overextend the freedom of taxing you until you starve, while in slaanesh they literally overextend the freedom of tasting delicacies to the point of eating you (Glutos style). But what about the freedom of wanting to be eat? The morality implications of really knowing that you want that agaisnt the suspicion of being tricked into thinking such thing?

My plan was to write heavy themes about introspective emotions, philosophical development, psyichological advice. The more important character of my project is probably the spiritual guide of the cult, the philosophist Ciereva. A consumated slave-warrior that really is a slave by choice, nor too strong but considered to be wise by others (in a humble way), and how talking with her help others to better understand themselves (she didn't created the Viscions at purpose, they simply started listening to her and formed a society around what she casually speaks). She have done some crazy things tho, like creating a metal armor and mask and then permanently melting them to her body as a way to sculpt her own aspect, a practice that many Viscions copied later. She was born a male but resculpted her figure as a female and changed her gender identity (thus being some kind of trans person). And that is kind of her message "You can be whathever you want, you can love whoever you want and in whathever the way you like more, such is the bless of worshiping Slaanesh. And the day our missing God come to us he may pass from even loooking at what we have done being mere ants at his glorious feet. But maybe he glance to us, and maybe he hate us so much he crush our very existence. Or maybe he find our existence so precious that dosn't dare to eliminate such an intricate form of excess we developed. He-she wants to feel everything after all, and if she really crush this form of feeling he may then regret it every single day of his remaining existence for all eternity." Well, Ciereva usually talks in that way of not knowing the answer to something but giving you the tools to work within yourself and tailor your own answer, she dosn't tell you what you are, but help you discover what you want to be.

Maybe some day GW allow me to build her into official lore.

Edited by Yoid
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I think your themes and ideas are interesting and relevant, something definetly worth exploring; I however think GW isn’t the best place for it. It’s heavy stuff (what if the person wants to be eaten as an example) for what remains essentially lore and games for the whole family (with darker themes of course). I encourage you to continue your writing and there probably is a better venue for you, a publisher that will not be as concerned with mainstream market appeal as GW is. You don’t need the GW IP to explore these ideas...

I specifically wanted a "less evil" background for my army, which I'll summarize:

My hosts are ruled by a vain and prideful daemon prince, tricked as a mortal into wearing an indestructible veil that would keep his beautiful face unmarred from combat, with the hidden cost being that it is permanently fused to his face now, and can never be removed. He hunted down the keeper that deceived him and scarred her face with a blade made from varanite and tempered with depravity, that will never heal no matter what form she manifests. That basically buried the hatchet though, and they now rule the mortal and daemonic sides of their host together in a model of the Syll'Esskan hosts.

The host has kind of an Alexander the Great thing going on, where they conquer to sate their pride, but allow those places to flourish and be beautified to sate their vanity. To keep his wars from becoming an ugly and ignoble thing the prince forbids his forces from harming non-combatants. The host also actively recruits from the disenfranchised and outcast from the nations they conquer, as he finds iniquity detestable and ugly.

The whole thing manifests as a kind of mockery of chivalry, with what are effectively paladins of Slaanesh (represented by myrmadesh and slickblades) being very prevalent.

Edited by CeleFAZE
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Enoby said:

Bear in mind, this does not work like the cavalcade rule; they get an extra 3" pile in, but very importantly cannot pile in from an extra 3" away. What this means is that they have to start within 3" to pile in at all and use this ability, and this usually requires a charge. This is, imo, worse than Seeker Cavalcade which does not require a charge and allows a retreat and pile in.

It sounds similar but will work significantly different in game and I think, unless these new models have crazy rules, will be considerably worse than cavalcade under nearly all circumstances.

Edit: also, out Locus is a weirdly strong counter to this unit

Edit 2: I realise this may read like I'm arguing against you, but it's not meant to be that - more just my opinion on why I like Cavalcade more than this, not that you're wrong or something :) 

I'm also a bit salty about what's coming for  lumineth, as it seems to step on our toes while still enjoying the benefits of being one of the most oppressively anti-magic armies in the game. Hopefully they'll at least be costed to account for this, but it really feels like order on the whole gets rather "optimistically" priced entries compared to chaos.

• Like 1

I feel exactly the same way about this. The Old World was flavourful and had a tangible sense of place, history and culture.  I really cannot engage with the whole floaty planes thing in AoS, and it makes it harder to engage with the lore on any level. 

That said, I love that they're actually advancing the metaplot (which never happened in Oldhammer). Morathi achieving godhood, Slaanesh's capture and birthing of an offspring... these are great developments that make the setting feel less static than the Old World. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PiotrW said:

And coming back to the Hedonites - any ideas on how to make them sympathetic... or, at least, how to connect with them emotionally? They are so twistedit's a bit hard for me to put myself into their heads, work out any motivations for them etc...

Have you ever loved something or someone and yet known that it was without a doubt bad for you? I think the hedonites and Slaanesh in general are appealing because they speak to this common and very human shared experience. I do not like them as individuals, but I can sympathize, because they represent a path any of us could have taken if we had indulged in those things we loved that would have destroyed us. They are a caricature of that act of succumbing to that temptation and being consumed for it. Slaanesh is arguably the most relatable chaos God.

However once chaos embraces them and they devolve into the lovecraftian blood and murder madness I would genuinely hope none of us could relate to any of them anymore. At that point they're just parody cartoon characters like Sigvald who are more like campy saturday morning cartoon villains than people. But then again that could easily be said of any of the insane chaos devotees of any god.

Hedonites could be made relatable if you made a relatable fall from grace story.  It's just unfortunately doing that well would be difficult without skirting along uncomfortable topics like codependent relationships, drug abuse, addiction, and so on. Slaanesh isn't hard for them to write books for just because of the sex and boobies thing. By its very nature that kind of narrative would have to confront some extremely dark topics. I suppose you could have a good character so devoted to achieving a good end to perfection that his drive eventually makes all his loved ones leave him, taking him down a dark path. Even then if you whitewashed it completely, it'd still be a very bleak tale.

Edited by ssetr
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Hey everyone,

I finally started my army and was wondering what paints  are you all using for skin color?

Much obliged.

It depends, I paint a variety of skin colors into my army, as it adds to the overall beauty and look, and is fun to paint different styles. 

For daemon skin I do a base coat of Rakarth Flesh, then a thinned down contrast of Voluptuous Pink to wash over the recesses, sometimes mixed with Riekland Fleshshade to give a flesh undertone.

For pale skin, I use Rakarth Flesh over Pale Flesh from Vallejo, and Pallid Witch Flesh for a highlight.

For a darker skin color, I use Rhinox Hide, then a wash of Fleshshade, and then a layer of Doombull brown over the risen layers of muscle or skin. 

For tan/brighter flesh, I use Elf Skintone from Vallejo, a Fleshshade wash, and a fine highlight of Rosy Flesh from Vallejo over scars or areas where the light really hits. 

Edited by AngryPanda
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, herohammer said:

rumor has it AOS 3 will have stand and shoot like old fantasy. If this is true it may be reflected in the point cost of our archers. I guess we will know if the lumineth archers go up in points when their new book comes out.

if this is true AoS will  be all out Shooting. It will become a 40k with SteamSciFiFantasyMinis…. CC will be the 1-2 Times in a game and every what is not able to shoot u can take and throw it in the graveyard :( 

5 minutes ago, ibel said:

if this is true AoS will  be all out Shooting. It will become a 40k with SteamSciFiFantasyMinis…. CC will be the 1-2 Times in a game and every what is not able to shoot u can take and throw it in the graveyard :( 

Those certainly won't be the only changes though, so it's best not to worry about the small picture we have now versus the real thing. They could well make it so you can't shoot into combat which would in turn be a massive nerf to shooting armies, and a huge boost for hyper mobile assault armies like Slaanesh. Let's just wait and see :)

• Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 2:40 PM, PiotrW said:

any interesting backstory ideas for Hedonites you guys came up with?

Not sure if it's too interesting, but mine are a snake cult. 

Originally there were several tribes in their jungle home. A slaaneshi cult, a nurgle one and the snake cult who unknowingly worshipped khorne. At the core of their beliefs was an obsession with acquiring sacrifices for their snake deity. (based off an actual beast within the jungle) This pushed them to ever greater attacks on their neighbors. The desperate prayers of the slaanesh tribsemen drew the attention of a keeper of secrets. Rather than save the poor tribals though, it began to influence the snake cult. Portents, gifts, and visions, it pushed them closer to depravity. As time passed the sacrifices grew more obscene. Soon daemons began to manifest, but twisted into parodies of the snake's form. The remains of the Slaanesh tribe joined them and as the nurglites were wiped out, the growing city began to look further afield for sacrifices and plunder. Finally their "god" manifested itself at the height of their gandest ritual yet. With their faith realized and a new directive before them, the cult marched out of their jungle home. Unbeknownst to them their city began to follow them. Zigurats sprouted appendages and the snake shrines began to move on their own. All of them headed for Ulgu.

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Like 2