AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

I was having a think about some of the other unit choices available to us that we may not have considered yet.

Has anyone considered taking varanguard? I don't think they're great (especially outside of the sixth circle and without Archaon), but they do have a good save and the potential of some MW output. However, for 280 points they're probably not worth it - what do you guys think?

I'm also quite curious about the Cygor and Gorgon - both kind of suck, but they have kinda decent attacks and it's not many points for a distraction that may keep our other troops safe.

I think the exhalted hero of chaos could be an option for a stay behind hero whose purpose is to take damage from the fane and run into position for summoning. He's also a good receptacle for extra support artifacts. 

The daemon prince is a source of always strikes first, but without EK they may struggle to put out damage. Their CA is a bit useless mind, but he has a 3+ save and flying, so they're comparable to Sigvald in their role. Outside of Lurid Haze where you can't teleport Sigvald, the 12" move and fly makes the daemon prince considerably more mobile, but I'm not sure it'll do the work when it gets there. 

I think I'm the only person who likes chaos chosen (not their models, but their rules), but without EKs and a CSL, I think they fall behind twin souls even at a lower price, especially without the chance of battleline.

Dragon Ogors are another possibility, and I might actually consider them in the future. They're not great and don't benefit from buffs much, but they do some decent damage for only 130 points and can all be brought along in depraved drove. 

Units of blightkings. They're allies but don't have loads of models so shouldn't have to worry too much about the 1 in 4 rule. Taking 10 of them isn't totally out of the question for something in between chaos warriors and twin souls being only 140pts for 21 wounds. I think having two units to park on objectives would be a nice blend of the tankiness of chaos warriors and some decent damage (not good, but decent). The biggest issue is lack of battleline from these as we'll need to make that up elsewhere. They could be done up like Glutos's gluttons

I don't think any of these are the secret to 5-0, but I do wonder if they have any place in the army. What do you guys think?  

Edited by Enoby
  • Like 1

Dragon Ogors don't seem great compared to Bullgors, I've been reading and listening to tons of Beasts of Chaos stuff the last two days and the consensus seem to be that Dragon Ogers are in a pretty rough spot due to their lack of damage output.

Some ideas I've had:

Bestigors are interesting to me. 6+3(Shaman) move, +1 Run, run and charge and +1 Charge from Godseekers and rerollable if within 12 of enemy with artifact. 300pts for 30 or 120pts for 10.

They are decently tanky with a 4+ for 10pts per wound and they smack pretty hard.

Devolve is an interesting spell from the Shaman and it's a decently cheap and mobile summoning platform.

Doombulls seem better than most of our cheap fightly characters and is cheaper.

Cygors are interesting because they ping Wizards for 1 when they stop a spell and that generates depravity for us, they have a range attack that does the same and they have 14 Wounds for 140 pts which again seems like a depravity battery.

45 minutes ago, Yziel said:

Bestigors are interesting to me. 6+3(Shaman) move, +1 Run, run and charge and +1 Charge from Godseekers and rerollable if within 12 of enemy with artifact. 300pts for 30 or 120pts for 10.

Bestigors are interesting, but with EK lost from them I think they're best in units of 10. It's incredibly hard to get 30 in and the wider board presence is more useful from MSU. They used to be very damaging with 20+ EK, but now they'll probably lack damage but make a good active screen as they're so fast.

47 minutes ago, Yziel said:

Dragon Ogors don't seem great compared to Bullgors, I've been reading and listening to tons of Beasts of Chaos stuff the last two days and the consensus seem to be that Dragon Ogers are in a pretty rough spot due to their lack of damage output.

Bullgors are nice but their 4s to hit and low number of attacks hurt when they can't reroll all hits. Their poor save also means they get torn through. If they hit, they hurt, but they rarely hit. I think Dragon Ogors at least hit on 3s, but the lack of rend isn't helping them.

49 minutes ago, Yziel said:

Doombulls seem better than most of our cheap fightly characters and is cheaper

The Doombull, especially with the fane, is a monster in combat. I'd strongly recommend him in Depraved Drove if you have a spare few points - maybe even more than one.

The one thing I can say about BoC is that they're cheap. 

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

Has anyone considered taking varanguard? I don't think they're great (especially outside of the sixth circle and without Archaon), but they do have a good save and the potential of some MW output. However, for 280 points they're probably not worth it - what do you guys think?

Slickblades are better by miles, considering they’re faster and do a similar amount of damage/mortal wounds. They’re survivability is lower, but with 4 wounds in a unit of 5 it’s not that bad. 

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

The daemon prince is a source of always strikes first, but without EK they may struggle to put out damage. Their CA is a bit useless mind, but he has a 3+ save and flying, so they're comparable to Sigvald in their role. Outside of Lurid Haze where you can't teleport Sigvald, the 12" move and fly makes the daemon prince considerably more mobile, but I'm not sure it'll do the work when it gets there.

Daemon princes are a good assassin unit that can fly over enemy models and tie things up, or remove specific threats. Sigvald may have more damage potential, but a Daemon Prince is a nice utility piece. 

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

I think I'm the only person who likes chaos chosen (not their models, but their rules), but without EKs and a CSL, I think they fall behind twin souls even at a lower price, especially without the chance of battleline.

I agree, and personally I believe they should be brought down in points to around 100-110. The buff they give after killing a model is decent, but they’re too easy to kill and are very expensive for what you’re paying for. I like the unit design and play style philosophy of the StD book, but there are some holes that need to be patched up (not to mention that the marauder and chosen models are terribly outdated). 

Edited by AngryPanda
  • Like 1

Still have yet to play a game with the new book yet, but I'm working hard on models, though mishaps abound. 

I finished my archer unit, but somehow the homonculus's shoulder broke a bit. Can't find the bit that fell off or what happened since he stayed on my desk for over a week while the unit got built.

Then the seeker champion took a tumble while putting basing materials on. He's fixed now, but it was a stressful time. 

I still have Sigvald to paint, 5 seekers to build and paint, and 5 myrmadesh that I will likely use as chaos warriors from time to time until they come down. I have 10 chaos chosen I built from sisters of silence and painted gold... but I honestly may just use them as twin souls. 

Edited by Carnith
bad spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AngryPanda said:

Slickblades are better by miles, considering they’re faster and do a similar amount of damage/mortal wounds. They’re survivability is lower, but with 4 wounds in a unit of 5 it’s not that bad. 

Yeah, that was my take away too on a second look. It's a shame because varanguard have really cool models, but a bit like most warscrolls in S2D, they need a lot to make them work.

1 hour ago, AngryPanda said:

I agree, and personally I believe they should be brought down in points to around 100-110. The buff they give after killing a model is decent, but they’re too easy to kill and are very expensive for what you’re paying for. I like the unit design and play style philosophy of the StD book, but there are some holes that need to be patched up (not to mention that the marauder and chosen models are terribly outdated

I think they could be comfortable at 120, I think lower may be a little too low - or maybe I've just got very lucky with them. S2D are a weird book in my experience; there's loads of buffing and combos and tactical choices, but things don't quite fit properly together. Ignoring marauders, most of their warscrolls feel lackluster; I find this especially true for warriors and knights, who hardly do any damage despite appearances. Their allegiance abilities are also weird too; the marks are a cool idea but the range doesn't always allow for charges, and the eye of the gods doesn't work on enough of the heroes. It's not a terrible battletome by any stretch, but there are many frustrating parts.

1 hour ago, Carnith said:

Still have yet to play a game with the new book yet, but I'm working hard on models, though mishaps abound. 

I finished my archer unit, but somehow the homonculus's shoulder broke a bit. Can't find the bit that fell off or what happened since he stayed on my desk for over a week while the unit got built.

Then the seeker champion took a tumble while putting basing materials on. He's fixed now, but it was a stressful time. 

I still have Sigvald to paint, 5 seekers to build and paint, and 5 myrmadesh that I will likely use as chaos warriors from time to time until they come down. I have 10 chaos chosen I built from sisters of silence and painted gold... but I honestly may just use them as twin souls. 

I'd definitely recommend twin souls over chosen at the moment, and thankfully I think your proxy would make a good twin soul :) I've found half of the models really good to build and half of them are super tricky. Thankfully the Myrmadesh are some of the easiest models I've had to build in a long time. 

Do you have a list in mind?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I'd definitely recommend twin souls over chosen at the moment, and thankfully I think your proxy would make a good twin soul :) I've found half of the models really good to build and half of them are super tricky. Thankfully the Myrmadesh are some of the easiest models I've had to build in a long time. 

Do you have a list in mind?

The list I came up with at the moment was this. 

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Godseekers Host
Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot (250)
- General
- Command Trait: Thrill-seeker
- Lore of Slaanesh: Born of Damnation
Keeper of Secrets (340)
- Sinistrous Hand
- Artefact: Cameo of the Dark Prince
- Spell: Progeny of Damnation
Keeper of Secrets (340)
- Sinistrous Hand
- Spell: Slothful Stupor
11 x Blissbarb Archers (160)
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Slickblade Seekers (200)
Seeker Cavalcade (140)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Wheels of Excruciation (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

The extra artifact could be anything, haven't looked to far, but essentially the cameo is to pop, and toss immediately for +1. 

If I didn't want this the battalion, it'd either be some twin souls or more seekers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carnith said:

- General
Keeper of Secrets (340)
- Sinistrous Hand
Keeper of Secrets (340)
- Sinistrous Hand
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
Seeker Cavalcade (140)

The extra artifact could be anything, haven't looked to far, but essentially the cameo is to pop, and toss immediately for +1. 

If I didn't want this the battalion, it'd either be some twin souls or more seekers.

The list looks nice :) Though I'm wondering if the chariot would be better swapped with some more seekers? I'm not sure, mind, just that I'm on the fence about the chariot bur fully believe the seekers are fantastic. 

Also, saw that someone had said they tried fiends against Khorne and were really impressed with them (2 units of 6) - I'd really like to give them another go. Has anyone else tried them?

1 hour ago, Yziel said:

I've not even played yet but from seeing them in a few battle reports on youtube I was impressed with how tank they were.

I'll have to test them out - I've unfortunately not found many online battle reports for our new book. I imagine it's partially down to people still painting the new models, but also MWG and Dark Artisan both didn't do exactly brilliantly in their battle reports, which may have put them off (they have no real reason to learn the battletome further). 

For a fiend list, I'd be tempted by either:

Godseekers 

Glutos 

20 daemonettes 

10 daemonettes

10 daemonettes 

6 fiends 

6 fiends

3 fiends

Epicurean Revellers 

Chronomatic Cogs

2000/2000

Which would be a two drop list, but I'd be tempted to drop either Epicurean Revellers or some fiends for a hero to hold an artifact. Currently, assuming the opponent is on the line 24" away, the fiends need to make a charge of 7" to get a first turn charge, which isn't great odds especially as it requires the cogs to actually be cast. 

A more conservative list would be:

Glutos 

Shardspeaker

5 chaos warriors

5 chaos warriors

5 chaos warriors

6 fiends 

6 fiends 

6 fiends 

Gemnids of Uhl-Gysh

At a base, most opponents will be at a -2/-1 in combat. If everything goes right, target units should be at a -3/-2, which handicaps pretty much every combat unit in the game without unmodified bonuses. Chaos warriors, as always, sit back and enjoy the show. 

Damage against hordes may be lacking so I'll take that horde clearer spell on Glutos. 3 fiends do an average of 7.1 damage against a 4+ one wound model, 8.24 against two to three wound models, and 10.4 damage against four and higher wound models. So doubling their numbers would get you 14, 16, and 20 against most models, which isn't too bad. 

The big weakness, of course, would be shooting. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Carnith said:

- General
Keeper of Secrets (340)
- Sinistrous Hand
Keeper of Secrets (340)
- Sinistrous Hand
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
Seeker Cavalcade (140)

Nice List but.... It is so CP Hungry Maybe u want to Change the Seeker again the Supreme Battalion and the Wheels with a extra CP.

(u really Need a lot CP for Keeper doppel activation, for Battelshocks and so on and on...)

Do u think geminis are Paying ?! Whitout Glutos or a Epitome a casting Value of 7+ I feel very uncomfortable with it.

17 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I'll have to test them out -

I like both List. Just I miss YOUR Shooting in both List. Maybe switch in List 2 6 Fiends vor 10 Blissbarb Archers ?!

First List look okay, jes Maybe u will switch 3 Fiends with a Hero ?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ibel said:

I like both List. Just I miss YOUR Shooting in both List. Maybe switch in List 2 6 Fiends vor 10 Blissbarb Archers ?!

First List look okay, jes Maybe u will switch 3 Fiends with a Hero ?!

I'll have a play with the archers too, though I've had no luck with them so far - that could just be me though. In list 2, I'd probably switch 6 fiends for 2 blissbarbs, and then take out 10 chaos warriors (as we don't need them for BL anymore) and use the saved 180 pts for a unit of 3 fiends. 

In list one, which I think is overall the weaker list, you're right that another hero to hold the objective is needed. I'd probably switch out 3 fiends for either a shardspeaker (not had good luck with mine but others have) or two exalted heroes as artefact carriers 

14 hours ago, ibel said:

Nice List but.... It is so CP Hungry Maybe u want to Change the Seeker again the Supreme Battalion and the Wheels with a extra CP.

(u really Need a lot CP for Keeper doppel activation, for Battelshocks and so on and on...)

Do u think geminis are Paying ?! Whitout Glutos or a Epitome a casting Value of 7+ I feel very uncomfortable with it.

I'll consider it, but this is just friends and family style list. Something to bring over to a friend's and throw models at each other. If I find the list not suitable for that, I'll be making some considerable changes. 

So I finally got around to listening to Warhammer Weekly talking about subfactions and theres a fun rant about 10 twin souls and a keeper getting bopped by the Mountain spirit. 

10 hours ago, Enoby said:

I was having a think about some of the other unit choices available to us that we may not have considered yet.

I'm also quite curious about the Cygor and Gorgon - both kind of suck, but they have kinda decent attacks and it's not many points for a distraction that may keep our other troops safe.

I think the exhalted hero of chaos could be an option for a stay behind hero whose purpose is to take damage from the fane and run into position for summoning. He's also a good receptacle for extra support artifacts. 

Dragon Ogors are another possibility, and I might actually consider them in the future. They're not great and don't benefit from buffs much, but they do some decent damage for only 130 points and can all be brought along in depraved drove. 

Units of blightkings. They're allies but don't have loads of models so shouldn't have to worry too much about the 1 in 4 rule. Taking 10 of them isn't totally out of the question for something in between chaos warriors and twin souls being only 140pts for 21 wounds. I think having two units to park on objectives would be a nice blend of the tankiness of chaos warriors and some decent damage (not good, but decent). The biggest issue is lack of battleline from these as we'll need to make that up elsewhere. They could be done up like Glutos's gluttons

I don't think any of these are the secret to 5-0, but I do wonder if they have any place in the army. What do you guys think?  

Varanguard would be a difficult sell without EK. They'd definitely need some S2D support pieces to work, but with a CSL for rerolling hits, wounds, and saves I could see a unit having some potential use.

The daemon prince is in kind of a weird place. It's not bad, and has a MW on hit rolls of 6 with the sword which wouldn't really have synergized well with EK anyhow, and it has a 3+ save, flight, look out sir, and attacks before everything else in combat, so it's certainly not a terrible choice. The only thing I find disappointing with it is the command ability, which to be fair isn't even that great in S2D. I've been considering the Scarlet Cavalcade to shore up our newfound weakness, and a daemon prince might not be the worst choice to provide frontline support to our exalted seekers with the artifact and trait. I would still want to support them with something that can provide the locus, possibly the masque or an epitome (or bladebringer) with the enrapturing circlet.

The exalted hero is a great points-filler for 90 points, and with its situational self-healing can be a depravity generating nuisance that could do well for us. 

The beastmen monsters I really don't have any experience with. The 5+ save seems like a major liability for us, and they both bracket down rather quickly. They might not be bad as part of a Glutos murderball, but I feel like I'd much rather take exalted chariots instead.

Dragon ogors have a decent wounds per points ratio, but they don't fit battleline requirements or combine their efficiency with the kind of offensive output we could get for similar points of blissbarb seekers. With a Shaggoth they may have some potential, but I'm not sure if it would be enough. On the other hand they are cheaper than hellstriders, which is nice.

Blightkings however, I have been very interested in running. I've been considering branching out into Nurgle a bit, and I think his forces, mortal and daemon alike, would be a great choice for allies. The blightkings also have a basically upgraded version of EK built into their warscroll, which makes them feel far less like they're missing out on our allegiance abilities. Festus the Leechlord could also make for a great support piece for us, as his healing ability can help keep some of our forces on the table, and his unique spell can make our twinsouls even that much more deadly. On top of that nurglings are just great for "deep striking" objective holders, and with their healing can stick around for awhile to generate us a potentially good amount of depravity. Overall I think there's a lot of unexplored territory with our allies, and Nurgle might be the sleeper hit among them.

5 hours ago, CeleFAZE said:

Blightkings however, I have been very interested in running. I've been considering branching out into Nurgle a bit, and I think his forces, mortal and daemon alike, would be a great choice for allies. The blightkings also have a basically upgraded version of EK built into their warscroll, which makes them feel far less like they're missing out on our allegiance abilities. Festus the Leechlord could also make for a great support piece for us, as his healing ability can help keep some of our forces on the table, and his unique spell can make our twinsouls even that much more deadly. On top of that nurglings are just great for "deep striking" objective holders, and with their healing can stick around for awhile to generate us a potentially good amount of depravity. Overall I think there's a lot of unexplored territory with our allies, and Nurgle might be the sleeper hit among them.

Yeah, I think you're right that Nurgle has a lot to explore. With how our allegiance abilities work, the only thing S2D and beastmen do above allies is not have restrictions and count for battleline. While I think this is disappointing in one way, it's good in another that we're free to use allies to a decent effect. 

I do want to try Blightkings, but I'm always cautious of buying allied units as they're the most likely to be taken out with rules changes. I think they'll be equivalent to painbringers in their role if you don't take them as battleline, but they're cheaper. 

I'd really love if painbringers got a points decrease. I think they'd be really nice at 120. 

Looking at the interviews, GW has shot themselves in the foot with pointing based on our summoning. We do summon a lot, but OPT means it's controlled, and more importantly, can be done not using our new models. 

The lowest (as in, after a few changes) I can see our points going is:

Painbringers 110

Twinsouls 150 

LoP 110

Shardspeaker 110

KoS 320

Shalaxi 260 (wish they had better rules)

Blissbarb archers 130

Daemonettes 100

Hellstriders 110

Sigvald 210 

Seekers 120

Heralds on foot 100

That's not to say they ever will go this low, but rather I think this is the upper limit of cheap (but not absurdly cheap) we could see these units. What would people think of these costs?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Enoby said:

The lowest (as in, after a few changes) I can see our points going is:

If they go this down in Points the Army would be too good again. So pls not. But jes Somethings can go this cheap, and jes ist true…. we Need a Downraises in Points too nearly the hole Army...

So... Where is the FAQ GW ?!

57 minutes ago, ibel said:

If they go this down in Points the Army would be too good again. So pls not. But jes Somethings can go this cheap, and jes ist true…. we Need a Downraises in Points too nearly the hole Army...

I don t think the army would be game breaking if they went back to the original points the daemons had in the previous tome and all the mortal except glutos and slickblade could drop 15-20%.  Slaangor are a lost cause to fix with point changes but the faq could make the claws attack double if the model has two of them

Speaking of the faq, keep in mind it took 10 weeks for gw to release the faq for broken realm Morathi

4 minutes ago, azdimy said:

Slaangor are a lost cause to fix with point changes but the faq could make the claws attack double if the model has two of them

Absolutely this.  The core rules flat-out state that a model with paired weapons gets some kind of benefit, either shown in the number of attacks or else in the rules text. Slaangors are explicitly stated to be armed with either a gilded weapon or a pair of claws. For some bizarre reason, however, they get no benefit at all from paired weapons, whether an extra attack or re-rolls. 

3 hours ago, ibel said:

The FAQ isnt going to contain pts decreases or rule changes, they are meant to clear up any confusion regarding the rules, like how Glutos CA works. That said it seems to be a bit delayed.

Edited by umpac

Yeah, just some points here and there and I think we'll hit the spot. The tactical impact of our summoning cannot be understated. Generally speaking when creating an army list right now it feels like I'm always one unit short (or cannot afford a battalion to make it all click). If the overall points gets lowered to accommodate such a change then I think the army would sit comfortably as as strong finesse army without dipping into being frustrating to face. 

For now I'm just going to bite the bullet and, hopefully, be pleasantly surprised when I am all of the suddenly able to add another unit or two to my army with the points update later this year. Having to maximise the value of certain units now it is opportunity to prove ourselves worthy of Slaanesh's attention and favour. What's a bit of pain, after all?

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Carnith said:

So I finally got around to listening to Warhammer Weekly talking about subfactions and theres a fun rant about 10 twin souls and a keeper getting bopped by the Mountain spirit. 

Do elaborate, please.

55 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

Do elaborate, please.

He sent 10 twinsouls into cow mountain. Elf player double buffed it, and used a cp for reroll 1's and then did no damage. Mountain killed every twinsoul. Later sigvald and a summoned keeper charged the same mountain, and brought it down to 2 wounds, because of stone mage near by, mountain fights at top bracket and kills the keeper and almost kills sigvald.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Carnith said:

He sent 10 twinsouls into cow mountain. Elf player double buffed it, and used a cp for reroll 1's and then did no damage. Mountain killed every twinsoul. Later sigvald and a summoned keeper charged the same mountain, and brought it down to 2 wounds, because of stone mage near by, mountain fights at top bracket and kills the keeper and almost kills sigvald.

To be honest, it's a pretty terrible idea to use twinsouls against something with a 2+ rr1s save. I think that's less a problem with twinsouls and more an issue with target priority. There must have been something else for him to attack? Or at least buff the Twinsouls all out for defence.

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

To be honest, it's a pretty terrible idea to use twinsouls against something with a 2+ rr1s save. I think that's less a problem with twinsouls and more an issue with target priority. There must have been something else for him to attack? Or at least buff the Twinsouls all out for defence.

It was Syar elves. So the buffs are kinda there on demand and nothing really there for the twinsouls to fight. 

• Like 2