AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

Covid hasn't stopped them from lavishing details in 40k previews, so it's doubtful.

However, 40k is a good example here of  GW stringing out information for new releases. Death Guard and Necrons main rules mechanics were changed in their new books, but we went ages (months in the Necrons case) without knowing what or how they changed. The change to Disgustingly Resilient was one of the last previews they showed off for Death Guard in fact.

Christ, trying to figure out how they changed Reanimation Protocols for Necrons was a nightmare too. We were forced to scrutinize the WD batrep for any concrete details on how the mechanic had changed because it had come out way before the Codex.

• Like 1

I am fairly certain that the company the size and profile of GW has by now found optimal way to work under Covid-19 pandemic circumstances.  Admittedly enough, I am hyped purely because having Slaanesh mortals army was a dream of mine back in WHFB.  That is enough for me.

Could they have done a better job at marketing? Yes. 

Well, maybe today leaves us all speechless and awed.

• Like 1

Yeah, for all we know they may choose community articles by throwing darts at a board and seeing where they land 😛

As @Bosskelot said, Necrons and Deathguard had to wait a long time for rules info too. That's not to say we're definitely getting big changes, but rather we don't know either way as GW doesn't always promote big changes quickly. 

I am admittedly worried about this battletome - depravity was poorly thought out last time and it'd be a shame to keep it as is - but I won't make any final judgements until seeing the rules. Even if depravity does remain unchanged, that doesn't mean mortals will be useless; they could have their own tricks or battalions that work around it or don't need it that we don't see until we have the book. 

Even with the hosts staying the same, it doesn't really mean much one way or the other. I think the vast majority of factions with a second book or a book after GHB rules have kept the core rules the same (e.g. our hosts).

• Like 1

@Enoby

I have decided to withhold any criticism or approval of new rules until they are fully revealed to us.  I did, however, express and I will express my concern once more that new rules could be below average. 

But look, even if our rules end up being below average, we still got some of the most beautiful models GW ever put out. Plus new artwork and hopefully new stories.  ☺️

Also, this is coming from a person who plays in highly competitive local meta, everyone is prepping for tournaments constantly (Covid-19 breaking the routine atm) and the reaction when I bring the Fiends on table is usually either "Why are you wasting time on them?" or smirk.

Edited by Sorrow
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

@Enoby

I have decided to withhold any criticism or approval of new rules until they are fully revealed to us.  I did, however, express and I will express my concern once more that new rules could be below average. 

But look, even if our rules end up being below average, we still got some of the most beautiful models GW ever put out. Plus new artwork and hopefully new stories.  ☺️

Also, this is coming from a person who plays in highly competitive local meta, everyone is prepping for tournaments constantly (Covid-19 breaking the routine atm) and the reaction when I bring the Fiends on table is usually either "Why are you wasting time on them?" or smirk.

At the end of the day, even if we get the most awful, boring, unbalanced battletome in the history of AoS, we have the nicest looking, most fabulous, and characterful army in AoS. The rules are temporary and we'll likely get a new book (not battletome but any extra rules book like BR) sooner rather than later. 

I'd rather be in our position than Seraphon's current position where they have a pretty nice battletome but Saurus Warriors that look like they're halfway turned into fossil fuel. 

Of course, I'd much rather we had a great (from a quality not power perspective) battletome too!

Fiends are a waste of potential, but their concept has the ability to be good if they could decide what they do. If they had their negatives to hit in shooting too, and if they had a no retreat rule (like in 40k) they could be pretty nice. Tbh, if they generated depravity they'd be able to find a place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the purpose of hobby if, I’m definitely going to buy Sigvald and a handful of painbringers, maybe some Fiendbloods as well. The models are fantastic, and they’re going to be a lot of fun to paint; I’ve also always been a big fan of Sigvald. 

For the rules however, I’m gonna hold off buying the new battletomb until I see some concrete details in the form of teasers or early rule releases. It’s lot like I’m rushing to play some games anytime soon, and if the rules are unchanged and subpar, why would I want to invest in that? I can always pick up the book down the road if I’m able to eventually have time to get a few games started. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AngryPanda said:

For the purpose of hobby if, I’m definitely going to buy Sigvald and a handful of painbringers, maybe some Fiendbloods as well. The models are fantastic, and they’re going to be a lot of fun to paint; I’ve also always been a big fan of Sigvald. 

For the rules however, I’m gonna hold off buying the new battletomb until I see some concrete details in the form of teasers or early rule releases. It’s lot like I’m rushing to play some games anytime soon, and if the rules are unchanged and subpar, why would I want to invest in that? I can always pick up the book down the road if I’m able to eventually have time to get a few games started. 

I aways suggest just waiting for the FAQ to drop before buying too much stuff.

You'll be able to find out the contents of the book from the general internet chatter, videos and such to join in the conversation. Then can start planning armies and/or purchases once you've seen what excites you and what bits of that excitement survive the first round of FAQs and Errata.

• Like 1

Vince pointed the other day in Warhammer Weekly that they tried to hype Sigvald in Pretenders, the host that allow you to pick 2 command traits, while named heroes cannot actually take command traits. So they are probably just missing the point of everything with the previews.

7 minutes ago, Yoid said:

Vince pointed the other day in Warhammer Weekly that they tried to hype Sigvald in Pretenders, the host that allow you to pick 2 command traits, while named heroes cannot actually take command traits. So they are probably just missing the point of everything with the previews.

Maybe they lost the one copy of the book they had and they're trying to remember the rules 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, SorryLizard said:

I aways suggest just waiting for the FAQ to drop before buying too much stuff.

You'll be able to find out the contents of the book from the general internet chatter, videos and such to join in the conversation. Then can start planning armies and/or purchases once you've seen what excites you and what bits of that excitement survive the first round of FAQs and Errata.

That’s my general plan going into this; I’m gonna hold back buying the content until I get a better feel of what the units do. What I will buy out of pure hobby is Sigvald and the painbringers just because I love the models, and I’ve been dreaming about a Slaanesh chaos warrior equivalent for a loooonnnggggg time. When they announced the myrmidesh painbringers I was both surprised and awed at the sculpts; I can’t wait to see how they and Sigvald look in Vallejo liquid gold. 

• Like 1

Just now, Benkei said:

My hype has gone from 100 to 0 this week.  I was ready to drop a hefty sum preordering most of the new things and now i'm wondering if i'm even gonna buy anything at all. Good job, GW

They've done a poor job, no doubt, but the content of the battletome is more important than the articles (as you likely know). They should have done a better job of displaying our rules - even with just the new models alone (7 boxes) they could have more than made up the week full of new rules without a whiff of allegiance abilities.

I think something went  wrong internally - maybe the chief writer was off sick, maybe they wanted to try a different strategy of long teasing without showing rules, maybe they accidentally deleted their scheduled pages and had to write some fluffy ones in a rush. Whatever was the case, it wasn't great and it does hurt the hype, but I'd say not to let it get the best of you :)

After all, the Beasts of Chaos book had massive hype about it and we all know it was a bit of a flop rules-wise. The quality of the Warhammer Community content doesn't seem to have much correlation with the quality of the release :)  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Benkei said:

My hype has gone from 100 to 0 this week.  I was ready to drop a hefty sum preordering most of the new things and now i'm wondering if i'm even gonna buy anything at all. Good job, GW

Sadly.. I feel the same.. I really don't get why GW is not using some of its money to throw after good marketing and communications.. 

I'm finding myself getting more excited for this as we have progressed since the initial announcement of mortal slaanesh. I've gone from looking at slaanesh for some allies to my slaves to darkness, to potentially its own force. Perhaps it's because I didn't immediately get in on the excitement on release, but im not too upset by the (poor) articles they've released so far. 

This week has stunk for community articles for both slaanesh and daughters. But we're only shortly over a week away from having the full battletome, and then these articles are over/useless anyways. But we'll be left with some incredible models and hopefully some interesting options to actually play the game with. 

• Like 2

Just now, JackStreicher said:

Same X_X, yet I must resist and not give in to the excess of more models! 

I just sold off all of my daughters of khaine. I've got plenty of space now. If I'm gonna give in to the excess of an extra army, slaanesh seems appropriate.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 minutes ago, Graywater said:

I just sold off all of my daughters of khaine. I've got plenty of space now. If I'm gonna give in to the excess of an extra army, slaanesh seems appropriate.

ouch.  all 90 Witch Aelves?  $$$  Pretty sure DoK is going away from horde and will focus on snake-chicks this edition.  Besides Daemonettes are just the super duper evil versions of (witch) aleves.

Just now, Popisdead said:

ouch.  all 90 Witch Aelves?  $$$  Pretty sure DoK is going away from horde and will focus on snake-chicks this edition.  Besides Daemonettes are just the super duper evil versions of (witch) aleves.

Funnily enough, I never played a single witch elf. I had 40 sisters of slaughter, 20 snake ladies, morathi, and some heroes. Quite effective. I believed in the snakes before they came to prominence, so that's a nice bonus to the buyer. 

It's primarily the mortal side of slaanesh that excites me, but the daemons play like I expected the daughters to play when I first bought into them... a glass cannon. But a glass cannon daughters were not, and it just got old. I'm really liking the sounds of the ultrafast seeker cavalry. Hoping there's some way to make them battleline and run the fastest army in the game.

• Like 2