AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

I am curious (if a little worried) that our daemon side and core rules won't see much of a change. Maybe I'm wrong, but with hosts staying the same and that mentioning "3 additional battalions" (in addition to our current 4), it sounds like a lot of the rules are supplementary.

That said, no mention of depravity points which is good.   

35 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I am curious (if a little worried) that our daemon side and core rules won't see much of a change. Maybe I'm wrong, but with hosts staying the same and that mentioning "3 additional battalions" (in addition to our current 4), it sounds like a lot of the rules are supplementary.

We will see in day or two.

That being said, you are most likely correct in your prediction.  GW will want to sell the mortals and the rules for daemons are probably not going to change in any meaningful way. 

Shame about Fiends, I love their sculpts.

• Like 1

Fiends honestly didn't have bad rules, they just weren't outstanding rules in a battletome which favoured leaders. So fiends got overlooked for the most part. Not bad, just not outstanding. Honestly its not a bad place for them and would have been fine if it wasn't for the leader dominance due to depravity 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

Fiends honestly didn't have bad rules, they just weren't outstanding rules in a battletome which favoured leaders. So fiends got overlooked for the most part. Not bad, just not outstanding. Honestly its not a bad place for them and would have been fine if it wasn't for the leader dominance due to depravity 

And shooting and magic/mortal wounds being in vogue. Their only defence is in melee, otherwise it's 4W and 5+ save on an expensive unit.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

Yeah, the way they keep saying "additional" warscrols and "11 new units" makes me think this is spot on. They also referred to the recent meta watch article, which I can only interpret as a lot of stuff staying the same or similar.

• Like 1

Syll'Esskan Host didn't make it in either, so those battalions are very much new - probably just specific to the mortals. I'm now curious how many changes there actually will be, and whether any of them invalidate the Syll'Esskan Hosts' legality; a depravity change wouldn't necessarily break any of its rules. 

I'll be quite sad if Depravity doesn't get a rework, but if we end up staying as the herohammer faction, then hopefully they at least price Fiends/the new stuff aggressively so they're worth taking. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jaskier said:

Syll'Esskan Host didn't make it in either, so those battalions are very much new - probably just specific to the mortals. I'm now curious how many changes there actually will be, and whether any of them invalidate the Syll'Esskan Hosts' legality; a depravity change wouldn't necessarily break any of its rules. 

I'll be quite sad if Depravity doesn't get a rework, but if we end up staying as the herohammer faction, then hopefully they at least price Fiends/the new stuff aggressively so they're worth taking. 

Before our last book, in the GHB 2, we had Depravity points but we still took other units. It'd be a shame to not have a change, but depravity staying the same doesn't mean we can't have a varied list, it's just harder to do  

That's what I mean, currently you can get a Keeper for the same price as 6 Fiends, and the former of those choices is almost at a point of just being objectively better. If they can tune up our rank and file to where they need to be, Depravity remaining as-is won't be a problem, but I guess I'm not sold on GW getting it right until I see some more previews. Heck, if stuff like Myrmidesh end up being 3 Wounds 4+ 4++ bruisers then they'll be taken regardless of how Depravity works, but not knowing stuff like that makes the wait - and the choice of what to pre-order - even more taxing 😅

• Like 1

So looking at the picture, Myrmadesh/Twinsouls look like they’re on 40mm; so Skullreaper/Wrathmonger equivalent; not Chaos Warrior equivalent. I had an eye-pop at the assumed price until I realized base size. Two boxes of them, Glutos, Sigvald, a book, and two units of Cav to start. I’ll expand from there later

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

So looking at the picture, Myrmadesh/Twinsouls look like they’re on 40mm; so Skullreaper/Wrathmonger equivalent; not Chaos Warrior equivalent. I had an eye-pop at the assumed price until I realized base size. Two boxes of them, Glutos, Sigvald, a book, and two units of Cav to start. I’ll expand from there later

I don't think so, the Lord of Pain is on a 40mm base, right? You can see that the Painbringers are sitting on smaller ones. That said, no one has seen the rules yet so who knows if they're more like blood warriors/liberators or skullreapers/paladins. Hey, sequitors are kind of an in-betweeny sort of unit, one or both of them could fulfil that role. 

I'd be happy with either. I really like the idea of a super elite Slaaneshi duelist unit but also it feels right for every chaos god to get a 100 point 2 wound troop. That said, if it's the latter one of them should be Slaanesh battleline (painbringers generic slaanesh, then the twinsouls for Sylle'Esske general or something). 

image.png.2caf5243bca9ee3abd1c4221c38f6788.png

• Like 1

Just now, Klamm said:

I don't think so, the Lord of Pain is on a 40mm base, right? You can see that the Painbringers are sitting on smaller ones. That said, no one has seen the rules yet so who knows if they're more like blood warriors/liberators or skullreapers/paladins. Hey, sequitors are kind of an in-betweeny sort of unit, one or both of them could fulfil that role. 

I'd be happy with either. I really like the idea of a super elite Slaaneshi duelist unit but also it feels right for every chaos god to get a 100 point 2 wound troop. That said, if it's the latter one of them should be Slaanesh battleline (painbringers generic slaanesh, then the twinsouls for Sylle'Esske general or something). 

image.png.2caf5243bca9ee3abd1c4221c38f6788.png

Good call, I didn’t see him there. I was comparing to the archers in the back who I expect on 32mm and bases look way smaller (optics for distance aside)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Good call, I didn’t see him there. I was comparing to the archers in the back who I expect on 32mm and bases look way smaller (optics for distance aside)

That said, I can still see them being super elite rather than chaos warrior equivalents - three wounds each. The underworlds one even hit on twos (though sometimes they are pretty different to their normal counterparts) 

That image is not a real scene, is cheap photoshop making all units together, you can easily tell by Glutos perspective, his base is way off respective to the others. So it may be that no real base size comparison can be seen there. Myrmidesh may be on 32 and still be really elite, i think they will be more similar to chosen than regular chaos warriors, otherwise they would be sold in boxes of 10. They surely will have 4+ save and some kind of special defense from the shield. They aren't battleline like the chaos warriors so they can punch a little above their points, probably having rend. Symbaresh will lack the defensive special rules but will hit way harder.

I hope Fiends get some love. It seems like daemons will not be drastically changed, but small changes like depravity system or point cost of units would greatly help the daemon size. Something as small as having -2 rend in the tails or having the -1 to hit and -1 to wound always active and not only in units of 6 models may probably save Fiends. Most heroes are 10 to 20 points overcosted to cover their Depravity generation, if Depravity change i can see most of them going down 10 or 20 points. Viceleaders, Enrapturess, The Mask, Bladebringers on regular chariots, all of them need to be 20 points cheaper to compete with the heroes of other armies that do similar things. That may change with the new spells tho, specially if they reworks the spell on Viceleaders and Bladebringers to something more useful.

• Like 2

The Myrmidesh look to be $105 AUD, the Slickblades around $120, and the archers and Sigvald around the $80-90 mark. I figured I'd be dropping a couple hundred quid just for the stuff I wanted (which, given how much is coming out, really isn't that much) but if those prices ring out, I'll end up dropping upwards of $700 on pre-order day 😬 Gonna be some hard choices to make, methinks. 

1 hour ago, Neffelo said:

Oh, did you find some updated pricing that's diffrent from the other page? 

Yes, but that’s all I’m comfortable sharing for specifics. I’ve already got my order in; the prices are basically the same as equivalent Luminoth stuff. Cav slightly more. 

im actually bummed, I was hoping Cav would be $50, Myrmadesh would be $35...no go. 

Edited by TimeToWaste85

1 hour ago, Carnith said:

The prices on the other page are in pounds and not USD

Well Aware, thanks. 

13 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Yes, but that’s all I’m comfortable sharing for specifics. I’ve already got my order in; the prices are basically the same as equivalent Luminoth stuff. Cav slightly more. 

im actually bummed, I was hoping Cav would be $50, Myrmadesh would be $35...no go. 

That's fair. The cav being more expensive is a bit of a s uprise,