Grimghast Reapers are breaking moral of my friends

On 5/6/2019 at 4:53 PM, Phetus said:

If i play a tone down list with deathrattles I/they feel like i try let them win

Well, that is a loop that you can't help them to escape, tell them to seek advice on how to beat you because it will diverce from army to army. 

And obviously they have to look for optimal ways to deal with strongest of foes, that is natural even when you go and build universal list, if they can take a specific unit to specificaly roll you over - than that is a way to go for them and a challange for you, they might even need to tailor their whole list against you and learn how to deal with others by tweaking this list, that works vs GGR

You say they are competetive and also show that except for Ironjawz and STD, they all play factions that consistently perform better in competetive environments than nighthaunt does.

I have seen this before with people showing up with their new battletome and a netlist and expecting to win, even though they can hardly remember their own rules and know nothing about their opponent, then proceeds to complain they get in trouble turn 1-2, because they took 0 account for their opponents army mechanics.

Sylvaneth? Screen with dryads, then engage with kurnoth and wipe out the reapers.

Fyreslayers? After the new battletome he must not have read it to not be able to outfight some grimghast, hearthguard zerkers, especially with mortal wound output will just wreck them in a fight point for point. example: 15 zerkers cost the same points as 30 reapers, but got the same wounds, near a hero they have 4+ ignore wounds, can potentially get 3+ armor saves as well, with mortal wound weapons they got 30 attacks, 6s do 2 mortal wounds so average of 10 mortal wounds. With a battalion and command trait they can both attack first and two times, so cna quite easily rack up 20 mortal wounds on average before getting hit back. How again is 30 reapers so dangerous?

Khorne? These guys can get also easily outfight reapers. FEC are also way way ahead of nighthaunt with just about anything.

What are they doing to complain about reapers considering their own armies, everything a FEC can put on the table is more dangerous these days, be it monster mash or ghoul spam with extra combat phases, nearly all new books seem to get fight first and/or fight again for command points or general traits. 

30 Reapers are only a real threat in high level play (this is important) when in a Legions of Nagash list, bringing all 30 back for 1 CP is what is truly demoralizing. In a nighthaunt army they are just a very average now, especially after the wave of new tomes which just increased the power creep a whole lot.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I pretty much fall into the same boat as you do.  My local group plays a real assortment of games - some competitive, others more relaxed.  I've written more than one list depending on what we're playing and have a discussion with what I'm taking beforehand.  My 30 Grimghast Reapers only get taken if my opponent is OK with that or we're practising for a tournament (in which case it's no-holds-barred ;)).

Legions of Nagash is perfectly capable of winning games without Grimghast Reapers, so you should be able to take a decent list without them or running a smaller unit.  Rather than looking at it as letting your opponent win, look at it that you're giving your opponent a better game, in the same way if I went out for a meal I'd not chose to go to a Chinese restaurant if I was the only one who enjoyed Chinese food :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2019 at 11:53 PM, Phetus said:

I play with a big groupe of 8 friends and we all started AoS back in june 2018. These guys are tryhards ... if they play something they will optimise there builds, im also guilty of this. Heres what they play.

One of the huge issues with this game is you can play it for fun or you can fully bend and optimize the rules to make these really dirty nasty lists. The most important thing you have to do is make sure you and your opponent are on the same page. which seems to be the case here. I see no issue whatsoever with stacking GR in your playgroup.

4 hours ago, soots said:

One of the huge issues with this game is you can play it for fun or you can fully bend and optimize the rules to make these really dirty nasty lists. The most important thing you have to do is make sure you and your opponent are on the same page. which seems to be the case here. I see no issue whatsoever with stacking GR in your playgroup.

Not sure that is necessarily a problem. Communication in what you want out of a game should always be there.