"Help a man coming back after 20 years away" the plog...

Ratamaplata

Hey, nice progress. It's really coming along.  The tail on the champion really does look great.  

As always, the more you can increase the contrast between your darkest shadows and highest highlights, the more the model is going to pop.  One trick I find really helpful is to look at the model from the top down, as if you were directly overhead on to the miniature.  The areas you can see from the top down are the areas that can take the highest highlights.  It isn't necessary to do all of those areas, but a few sharp highlights on those uppermost areas will really help create definition.  Also, the areas furthest from those points should be the darkest, and can hold up to a second layer of shading, or a fine black line if you feel up for it.. I did a quick edit to show what I mean... I hope this helps. 

PhotoGrid_1471128265371.jpg.1f76030f7bebfa13c36da3c3e670fd03.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So 20 years ago I had...

- Massive Space Wolves and Khorne armies... and plenty of random 40k stuff

- A veteran, fully-customised Necromunda Cawdor gang

- A veteran, fully-customised Warhammer Quest barbarian

- Loads of random stuff...

Now the total warband so far is...

20160817_002234-1.jpg

Got time to paint tomorrow night :)

They're coming along nicely, really love the purple and greens on the shooty fellow! :) You've got more done so far than I've managed after coming back from ten years or so away, although admittedly I was never much of a painter first time around O.o Got tomorrow off work, so resisting the urge to start reading the next Black Library novel in the series now so that I can get some painting done.

Your stuff is coming right along, I love the lighting effect (I use it myself).

There's nothing wrong with drybrushing, it's a valid technique. I think the trick to it is to hit it from multiple directions, so it doesn't look drybrushed (chalky). I tend to go back and forth until I have it where I'd like, then I'll go at it in circle motions to blend it in. 

5 hours ago, Dez said:

Your stuff is coming right along, I love the lighting effect (I use it myself).

There's nothing wrong with drybrushing, it's a valid technique. I think the trick to it is to hit it from multiple directions, so it doesn't look drybrushed (chalky). I tend to go back and forth until I have it where I'd like, then I'll go at it in circle motions to blend it in. 

Cheers dude.

Mainly I haven't drybrushed because not that much has called for it yet. Defo multiple passes seems the way forward from tutorials I've watched.

Looking forward to getting these based too :)

So I don't get a lot of time to paint... this is the only extra I've done...

20160824_100806.jpg

These Island Of Blood minis are cool designs but mouldings aren't great... finding lots of ambiguous areas. I guess that's something I should sort out during the modelling.

Also... I did nowhere near good enough a job of mould line removal on this first batch. Will aim to improve.

• 7 months later...

Well, it's been a while!

I finally got a few hours time to paint this morning. Worked on getting more contrast on the Warlord's robes and armour. Hoping I might even be able to do more tonight.

Slow progress is still progress yeah?

Feedback appreciated as always :)

20170409_151125.jpg.7a530aa45ab1d7ec273fab95f5321795.jpg

20170409_151214.jpg.6d34037b002085c4b2dc24946311b8ef.jpg

4 hours ago, Chillpill said:

Wow these models look really good!

Cheers... I am slow going but trying my best to learn the technical stuff.

More progress tonight. Not happy with the halberd, I rushed it a bit. Really happy with the wood parts though, got a nice technique sorted for that. Plenty still to do...

20170409_230320.jpg.fd5f02ad17dc83a654b7fc607f629fc4.jpg

20170409_230357.jpg.17f150da0d34d6c7d2dd154e4edb08da.jpg

20170409_230347.jpg.aad02040f6be589c3ef94cb7f962cbdd.jpg

20170409_230422.jpg.efc271bf22313ddcb5cc4b5e2e234b20.jpg

20170409_230325.jpg.97b1799481821abfa40f50d88413564d.jpg

Next chance I get for a session I'm gonna push to get him finished and based :)

Was hoping to finish him tonight but still way off... man this is slow going ?

Redid the halberd, much happier with it now. Scrapped plans for the other blade... still undecided how to do paint it.

Spent some time on the flame and banner pole but it's not finished yet. Would like to put some osl in and add a bit more contrast in to the pole and icon.

Have also changed the skin tone, added detail to the face and highlighted all the blacks.

20170412_011236.jpg.010287bb3dbaf83731ade5a610f31a56.jpg

20170412_011003.jpg.1d67f0d4b039fd16c2f612fe446219ac.jpg

20170412_011045.jpg.26df2ceed034fec878710351c44e5735.jpg

Unsure of whether to add the following...

- OSL effect around the warpstone pieces and warpflame. I didn't do a great job on my Warlock Engineer.

- free hand runes/symbols on the banners. I should have done it before shading them but I think if I use thin glazes it should be ok.

- general weathering/dirt effects.

I'm really happy with the model so don't want to ruin it... but it is only a practice model really... unsure.

On 12-4-2017 at 10:22 AM, Ratamaplata said:

Unsure of whether to add the following...

- OSL effect around the warpstone pieces and warpflame. I didn't do a great job on my Warlock Engineer.

- free hand runes/symbols on the banners. I should have done it before shading them but I think if I use thin glazes it should be ok.

- general weathering/dirt effects.

I'm really happy with the model so don't want to ruin it... but it is only a practice model really... unsure.

Then do what I do, get a clanrat and practice on him. If it looks good copy it to the warlord ?

4 hours ago, Ratamaplata said:

For sure that sounds like the way forward :)

Well you gotta be ruthless on your minions they are there to experiment on ;)

Btw I love that you post several WIP pictures of everything. It's great fun to see the progression. 

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Well you gotta be ruthless on your minions they are there to experiment on ;)

Btw I love that you post several WIP pictures of everything. It's great fun to see the progression. 

Haha true... what are clanrats for if not experimenting on?

I like to post each time I paint cos it helps me see my improvement when I look back.

Hopefully got more painting time tonight :)

4 hours ago, fartsocks said:

Looks great. Makes me want to actually open my spire of dawn box and get them painted.

Cheers mate. Do it. Some of the figures are amazing although the moulds do have some issues in places.

Looking forward to doing the rat ogres.

8 hours ago, Ratamaplata said:

Cheers mate. Do it. Some of the figures are amazing although the moulds do have some issues in places.

Looking forward to doing the rat ogres.

And @fartsocks

Just an heads up on the rat ogres. The heads come with a pin to attach it. It just slightly to long. I made the mistake of cutting it away entirely and had a tough time to fit it correctly.  If I could do it again I would just file it down untill it fits as the extra effort is worth it when you finally assemble. (I painted first assembled later)

Cheers @Kramer

I need to pick up some greenstuff cos my son is desperate for me to paint the elf dude on griffin but it's got huge gaps. I'm assuming the ogres will need some too.

I didn't really prep the warlord that well and missed a lot of mould lines etc. Bit gutted now as the painting has turned out so well. Currently basing him... waiting for the stirland mud to dry.

On a side note... Blood For The Blood God paint is awesome!

1 minute ago, Ratamaplata said:

On a side note... Blood For The Blood God paint is awesome!

It really is. 

1 minute ago, Ratamaplata said:

I didn't really prep the warlord that well and missed a lot of mould lines etc. Bit gutted now as the painting has turned out so well. Currently basing him... waiting for the stirland mud to dry.

Well you live and you learn. 

Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing him based. 

Archived