"Help a man coming back after 20 years away" the plog...

Ratamaplata

My history...

I used to play 40k (I think 2nd ed?) and Necromunda up to 1996 then quit due to cost and I never got back to it. Due to YouTube and this forum (and dakkadakka) I've got back into it and love the world of AoS.

I always loved painting and converting, but I was 11 when I started and the only resource I had was White Dwarf and very infrequent visits to the not particularly local GW. Now I have the internet :)

I bought the old Island Of Blood set to practice, this is my progress so far (3 hours worth tonight!)...

20160808_003715-1.jpg

CRITIQUE WOULD BE APPRECIATED:)

I did... primed black, thinned base coats multiple times, a bit of glazing on noses and tails then an ink all over. Plus I got the champion's flesh base coat done and have the warlord and warlock engineer primed.

I used methods I had no idea about when I was a kid... wet palette (used too much water though I think) and a tiny bit of glazing.

There are a few painting errors but they should be easily corrected... I hope. I found it tricky to control the thinned paint at first but started to get the hang of it. Glazing seems a pretty easy way of achieving awesome results. I will attempt wet blending asap too.

If anyone has read this far, a question...

I found my bristles didn't maintain a consistent tip. They didn't look amazing to start iirc... but I may be being heavy handed, I have very little sensitivity in my fingertips/pads due to jiu-jitsu.

I used Army Painter and GW brushes... should they be ok? If not, any recommendations on better ones?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking great so far!

Army a Painter brushes aren't great...pretty bad imo. I use Winsor and Newton Series 7 size 0, 00 and 000. Have for years, same brushes and I've never looked back. It's one oft hose things that is never wasted money, get some Masters brush cleaner too.

Looking good!  Always difficult coming back from a break - 20 years is probably worse than six months though ;)

7 hours ago, Ratamaplata said:

Again, critique would be awesome. Does the skin need to go a bit lighter?

You could quite happily push the flesh lighter a bit.  The way I tend to work out if I've enough contrast between the shadow and highlight is to put it on the dining table and "loom" over it in the same way as if you were playing a game (also affectionately known as the 3 foot rule).  If the model looks like a black brown blob then you probably need more highlights.  If it looks like something that a unicorn may have passed then it probably needs more shadow!

Cheers @Bowlzee ... maybe I will put another highlight on actually. I'm mainly using these as practice so why not. Then I'll probably paint the rest up quick to base coat and ink level  (my son is desperate to play a game!).

My eventual plan is to get a Chaos force led by Archeon cos that model is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Ratamaplata said:

Cheers @Bowlzee ... maybe I will put another highlight on actually. I'm mainly using these as practice so why not. Then I'll probably paint the rest up quick to base coat and ink level  (my son is desperate to play a game!).

My eventual plan is to get a Chaos force led by Archeon cos that model is ridiculous.

You don't need to highlight the whole model, just pick some key areas, like some of the folds on the top of the cloak to add another highlight, and some key muscle tone etc.

But keep up the great work!

A little trick I use to make the red eyes pop is first painting them white and then paint the red over the white. That way the red will stand out more than when it is painted on a black basecoat.

when you like what you've done finish the base. A finished base can make your model look very different (better)

Cheers @elfhead I did put white first then red. Then I did a little dark red glaze around the bottom but I think it bled over most of the eye. I'm still trying to learn to control the thin glazes.

I'm going to put them on round bases so haven't bothered doing any basing yet. When I last did anything pretty much all bases were just flocked with maybe a skull on the leader... seems these days even most people's basic troops are based on mini dioramas!

I think I'll call these done now. Plenty of minor errors (misplaced brush strokes) which are only partially fixed, but they're in tricky to see bits anyway. Also could do with more work on the shadows on the robes but they're only my first two miniatures so all good... I'm well happy...

PhotoGrid_1470778178669.jpg

Once again, I welcome any critique and thanks for those who have helped with pointers so far :)

Nicely done, keep it up and keep posting updates. Similarly i've just picked up a brush for the first time in nearly 15 years. AoS makes starting a new project so much less daunting than previous Warhammer incarnations.

Awesome that you're both back too :)

Yeah @EvDJ I think AoS is awesome. I wanted to get back to wargaming so first checked out 40k as that's what I loved previously. Quickly realised it is now way more complicated and would require a huge outlay on rulebooks alone. For AoS all I need is a few units. I've spent £50 on an old boxset and that's all I need for two decent size armies.

@Shadowspite I've seen your thread on here... looks wicked!

I found the AoS rules and lack of points so refreshing. I always preferred more storyline/narrative campaign driven battles over straight up competitive matches. Plus competition in real life is never totally fair and balanced so I don't see an issue in unbalanced armies.

PhotoGrid_1471128265371.jpg

Started on the warlock engineer tonight. Got base coats and an ink wash done. Used a little bit of drybrushing on the brass... which is the only drybrushing I've done whereas when I was a kid it was the only technique I knew haha

Gonna try to put more effort into this guy and the warlord then just get the rest of the clanrats painted quickly without too much detail. I guess I can always go back and add to them.

Archived