Gap filling

I’m curious as to what everyone else uses for gap fillers on their models as well as their opinions on different products they’ve tried (and ultimately quit using).

I’m currently using plain medium body CA Glue. I run as thin a bead as I can along the seams I need to fill and wait a couple of minutes (generally by repeating it on all other models in the unit) then hit it with a quick pump of an accelerator. I then give it another 20 minutes to an hour before trying to file down any lumps, bumps, runs, or high spots. I’m sure there are better ways to do it but (so far) this has been working for me.

I’ve also tried the testor’s gap filler putty that comes in a tube, but I wasn’t all that impressed with it. The putty was too think to get into most of the seams I wanted, it frequently seemed to clump on top of the seams rather than settling into them, and always felt brittle and would crumble a lot when sanding.

What else have people tried with success and what have you tried and disliked?

I use a variety of things:

1) On plastic models sometimes a tiny tiny bit of glue can fill a seam or gap. Though this can often look rather ugly it will clean up ok provided you let the glue fully cure before working it to clean any mess up and then paint over as normal. I tend to use this only on areas like the underside of a horse/mount where it mostly doesn't matter if its not 100% perfect

2) Greenstuff - tiny tiny bits will fill gaps. I apply using the standard metal tool that GW sells and then I use colourshapers/clayshapers* (typically a black cone headed one) to smooth it over. Keeping all the tools wet with water whilst working** and just using the colourshaper to smooth it over. It's like using your finger, but without the issue of fingerprints getting left behind. They are outstanding tools and Im surprised GW has never branded a set of their own to sell. 

Black are firmest, grey middle and white softest. 

3) Perfect Plastic Putty by Deluxe. Came across this watching a video on airfix building and its basically akin to what I think you've been using with the Testors gap filler. It's a white thick liquid that comes in a tube. I squeeze a tiny bit out onto a work surface and then basically use greenstuff tools to move it into place - though this I will smooth with a finger (wearing gloves***). Once dry it can be smoothed over with some sanding action. 
It's not as firm as greenstuff so its fantastic for really getting into tiny spots on a model and flows into them really easily. For fine and small gaps and holes its great, but yeah you can't build it up in layers into a free standing sculpt - that's what one would use greenstuff for. 

Each one has its own areas where it works best and often you might use several on the same model. Eg on fiends there's one that has a really nasty seam join on the side of its chest where I've used the plastic putty whilst underneath where its legs and belly all join up I've simply used the plastic glue method. 

*same thing just different name

** I've read that you can use vegetable oil instead and it will keep the tools less sticky for longer, but you have to wash the model once its all fully cured otherwise residual oil will mess with glue/paint

*** lab gloves

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

Take some shavings of sprue and mix them into a spare plastic glue. It melts in the glue and becomes a thick plastic goo. Great gap filler.

Oh! That’s sounds like a really great idea, and so simple why didn’t I ever think to try something like that. Hmm, I do have a jar of glue with just a tiny bit let in it. I might be able to test this one out (probably won’t due to shear laziness but I *could* lol). I wonder what ratios you’d need for to be brushable...

Edited by Lior'Lec
Grammer