Casting spells rules

MaroSauro

Question

Hi all, i have few question about casting spells:

Can i cast a spell even if no one eligible unit is in range for it(for the purpose of earning fate points)? General rules state nothing about measuring distance BEFORE cast.

The spell Boon of Mutation used by TZAANGOR SHAMAN can only be used to add normal tzaangor or can used to add tzaangor skyfires/Enlightened? Is not clear for me if the spell reference to units or keywords.

Thanks in advance!

1 answer to this question

7 hours ago, MaroSauro said:

Hi all, i have few question about casting spells:

Can i cast a spell even if no one eligible unit is in range for it(for the purpose of earning fate points)? General rules state nothing about measuring distance BEFORE cast.

The spell Boon of Mutation used by TZAANGOR SHAMAN can only be used to add normal tzaangor or can used to add tzaangor skyfires/Enlightened? Is not clear for me if the spell reference to units or keywords.

Thanks in advance!

For the first, I depends on the specific wording. Does the spell state to pick a unit first? or does it say to roll the casting dice first? For example. If Spell of doomy doom says "Pick an enemy unit within 10".... then lays out the parameters such as casting value and effects. But there isnt a viable target then you couldnt. Because the spell woudl stop as soon as there is no target unit to pick. But if it said to roll the casting dice THEN pick a unit... usually like "If the cast is successful pick a unit..." then the cast would be successfull but have no effect so fate points earned. 

For the second one its much more simple. But I dont have a Tz battletome. Does Boon of mutation state to ass a TZAANGOR  or does it say TZAANGOR ENLLIGHTENED or TZAANGOR SKYFIRE. If it's in all caps and bold then its based on keywords.  If its just in bold and NOT all caps then its the specific name of the warscroll.