So, who does want Tomb Kings and Bretonnians back?

So, who does want Tomb Kings and Bretonnians back?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Which retired factions would you quite like to collect if given the chance?

• Tomb Kings
    • Bretonnians
    • Greenskins
    • Gitmob
    • Dogs of War

I'd like to see Bretonnia reimagined as Soulblight/Blood Knights myself.  Aristocratic shock cavalry, supported by a weak chaff of peasants/blood thralls? Fits the bill to me.  I know people will go "that's what FEC are!" but that's more of a tongue-in-cheek lore only thing,

Heck, one of the less explored parts of the lore was the civil war in Bretonnia that the Vampires started and the last we saw of Abhorash was him fighting alongside Gilles le Breton. 

Obviously they'd have a much more gothic, unique aesthetic just because there's no way GW will ever go back to 'generic medieval knights' when there's third party and historical models out there.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

I could definitely see it being the case that the common people of Bretonnia mingled with other surviving humans to become the ancestors of the free peoples, while the most noble of the Bretonnian Knights were reforged as Stormcast, and the bickering and corrupt nobility degenerated into Ghouls.

That doesn't mean that the free peoples couldn't seek to emulate their ancestors knightly orders though.

• Like 1

Are dogs of war just a group of mercs that become famous (and a Paymaster/Big Dude just group them under a banner)?

If that's the case, Dogs of War are already in the lore, the only problem is that GW are not working on them yet.

22 minutes ago, novakai said:

well, that and building a full WHF army was a massive investment that players tend to commit to armies that were generally stronger in rules (or in O&G case a really fun army) if they were to spend that kind of money. plus Ushabti and some of the cooler models in the range were notoriously bad on the table

I don't think that the old WHF armies were that much more expensive than AOS armies to be honest.  I've seen people field their old armies and the model count seems fairly close if not identical to the AOS equivalents in many cases.  

53 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

I voted Tomb Kings BUT only if they are completely re-designed from the ground up, which is unlikely to ever happen. 

Also, the models are out there, they have warscrolls and points, just go play them if you like them

Speaking as someone ho uses those war scrolls, they are in need of an update(I asked for that in the survey, right after bringing them back).

51 minutes ago, Charles said:

None of these. A new army or redesigned Free guild / Order of Azyre would be amazing

So~ you want a new version of empire?

I really liked all the TK models except for the old Skeletons/Chariots.  The NecroSphinx/Blade arm guy, the Snakes/both mounted/not, the Ushapti with bows, and the TombGuard were all really cool models.

I think half the reason Im so fond of them currently is playing them in Total War honestly.

• Like 1

I don't play AoS and haven't collected many of the models because the old fantasy aesthetic was what I loved most. Still, I'd love to see the Tomb Kings return in some fashion and would probably even start playing AoS if they got a couple of resculpts (some new chariots, archers, and horses would be nice). Actually if they did that I definitely would start playing. (TK were my first army - really regret letting so much of my collection go...)

That said, like a lot of players who collect(ed) TK, I'm mostly looking to (re)complete my collection. If GW just brought back the plastic kits for a week I would get everything I wanted and be pretty happy. (They are used in other systems after all.) Bring back plastic sphinxes, snakes, and tomb guard for one week, made to order, and I swear on the kidney I will sell to fund this project that I will buy three of each. Possibly more tomb guard.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, huitzilopochtli said:

I don't play AoS and haven't collected many of the models because the old fantasy aesthetic was what I loved most. Still, I'd love to see the Tomb Kings return in some fashion and would probably even start playing AoS if they got a couple of resculpts (some new chariots, archers, and horses would be nice). Actually if they did that I definitely would start playing. (TK were my first army - really regret letting so much of my collection go...)

That said, like a lot of players who collect(ed) TK, I'm mostly looking to (re)complete my collection. If GW just brought back the plastic kits for a week I would get everything I wanted and be pretty happy. (They are used in other systems after all.) Bring back plastic sphinxes, snakes, and tomb guard for one week, made to order, and I swear on the kidney I will sell to fund this project that I will buy three of each. Possibly more tomb guard.

Yeah, I'd be happy to get a few more Ushabti to round out my collection, but Ideally I'd like them to develop something new and AoS-y based on the idea.

10 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Yeah, I'd be happy to get a few more Ushabti to round out my collection, but Ideally I'd like them to develop something new and AoS-y based on the idea.

That'd be the dream. But write them in however you like - just update the models with the same energy given to your other redesigns, make them fit with the sphinx-era plastics and you'll make a die-hard out of me again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the_master288 said:

I definitely don't agree with you on this.  They need to support what they have now, not kill more things.

Not going to happen if they keep on introducing brand new armies like they have been lately. Sooner or later, old stuff will get chopped because there is a natural limit to how much things they can juggle around.

Just now, Yokai said:

Not going to happen if they keep on introducing brand new armies like they have been lately. Sooner or later, old stuff will get chopped because there is a natural limit to how much things they can juggle around.

That sounds like a massive problem.  How can GW expect people to care about the armies and the world of AoS if they're willing to just kill things off?  I'll never understand why this is accepted in Warhammer Fantasy/AoS but 40k doesn't have this problem, at least recently.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, the_master288 said:

That sounds like a massive problem.  How can GW expect people to care about the armies and the world of AoS if they're willing to just kill things off?  I'll never understand why this is accepted in Warhammer Fantasy/AoS but 40k doesn't have this problem, at least recently.

Probably due to 40k having been profitable enough to keep stuff around (even though Dark Eldar was not updated with a new codex for about 12 years!) whereas WHFB wasn't, mostly because of army bloat and the inability to keep all the stuff updated. If an army or whatnot is not recognized as profitable in the long run, it gets axed when the resources are better spent elsewhere. Hence the introduction of AoS.

11 minutes ago, Yokai said:

Probably due to 40k having been profitable enough to keep stuff around (even though Dark Eldar was not updated with a new codex for about 12 years!) whereas WHFB wasn't, mostly because of army bloat and the inability to keep all the stuff updated. If an army or whatnot is not recognized as profitable in the long run, it gets axed when the resources are better spent elsewhere. Hence the introduction of AoS.

I'm fine with the advancement of the Fantasy timeline into AoS and the loss of some armies to the Old World.  While it's not ideal for players who used these armies (such as Tomb Kings), I can understand GW wanting to jettison armies that aren't profitable at that time.  What I'm not fine with is GW supporting armies through the End Times into AoS, with AoS boxes and then axing them all of a sudden (looking at you Greenskinz).  I find that unacceptable.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Yokai said:

Actually it was also because GW picked up Lord of the Rings and had two major fantasy titles under their belt at the same time and focused more on Lord of the Rings than Fantasy. So Fantasy fell a long way behind. 

The armies not getting updates for ages coupled to a lack of a big "skirmish" product meant many not only saw a game that wasn't super popular, but also one that wasn't getting lots of attention from GW and also required a lot of models to be build to get to 1K or even 2K where most who were playing would play at (and because under old fantasy most armies didn't work very well at all below 1K points). 

So the start up was high; the game wasn't getting huge attention from the parent company; there wasn't a huge local interest and these things built one into the next and all helped destroy the fantasy market steadily.

40K has the same miniature and lore writers; its got the same amount of army bloat and costs in time and money; but it got the lion share of marketing and attention which helped push sales. Wargamers are slow investor type customers-  they want a 5 year product not a 1 year or 6 month thing. So seeing a game getting neglected and ignored makes them worried that its giong to fall apart. 

AoS is a totally different kettle of fish and I can't see GW retiring AoS armies now. Sure some old sculpts will get retired and liekly replaced; but GW aren't going to remove skaven from AoS, nor Khorne, nor orks etc.... We have lost armies, but lets also not forget most of the big losses were in teh early days when AoS was basically a marketed as a boutique line of models. GW was making their own "reaper" style line only one that would allow them to axe many smaller armies now and then and just keep adding smaller new ones all the time. That's why they liked the Grand Alliance approach because in their marketing it meant the game had 4 armies. AoS today is utterly utterly different in concept and structure. 

• Like 1

Tomb kings are quite a cool and interesting aesthetic.  Plus a struggle within the Death Grand Alliance (Settra vs Nagash..possibly with Sigmar playing an enemy of my enemy role with Settra) would be very intriguing. 

Bretonnians were dumb in WHFB. They are really dumb not in the high fantasy aesthetic of Age of Sigmar.  They are the FEC now. And I'm personally glad it is that way. Greenskins hopefully get rolled into Ironjaws. Gitmob wallow in irrelevance until they are phased out. 

Brets works perfectly in AoS - you just swap the idea of horses for some epic fantasy mounts. The whole concept of a kingdom of knights and such is perfect in any fantasy setting! 

Of course for both Brets and Tomb Kings no one expects them to be named the same. Renamed, revamped but the concept of the models and the sculpts is what pepole want - they want to see those old snakes ridden by skeletons and animated sphyix and the like; whilst others want to see waves of powerful cavalry charging at the enemy. 

I would not mind if GW brought any of these back as long as they did something interesting to them.  They are all fairly generic and bland as old Warhammer concepts generally are compared to the more over-the-top interpretations that Age of Sigmar tends to favor.  Tomb Kings are probably the most unique and interesting of those forces as-is

If GW took any of those old forces and turned them up to 11 like they have been doing with the other AoS factions then I would be on board with it.  But none of them are anything that I am going to actively campaign for either.  And bear in mind that I own a decent chunk of Gitmob and I have a massive Greenskins army with over 200 infantry alone.  But honestly, the only models that I would really miss from the Gitmob and Greenskins ranges if they were retired completely are the Warboss on Wyvern and the Doom Diver.  I would like to see the Doom Diver stay in the game in some form as it really is the most iconic of goblin artillery.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I would not mind if GW brought any of these back as long as they did something interesting to them.  They are all fairly generic and bland as old Warhammer concepts generally are compared to the more over-the-top interpretations that Age of Sigmar tends to favor.  Tomb Kings are probably the most unique and interesting of those forces as-is

If GW took any of those old forces and turned them up to 11 like they have been doing with the other AoS factions then I would be on board with it.  But none of them are anything that I am going to actively campaign for either.  And bear in mind that I own a decent chunk of Gitmob and I have a massive Greenskins army with over 200 infantry alone.  But honestly, the only models that I would really miss from the Gitmob and Greenskins ranges if they were retired completely are the Warboss on Wyvern and the Doom Diver.  I would like to see the Doom Diver stay in the game in some form as it really is the most iconic of goblin artillery.

The Doom diver is the model I most regretted not getting when that range was discontinued. Its such a fun idea, and a really nice model. I never had enough goblins to justify getting one though. Hopefully they will take the idea of crazy goblin contraptions up to eleven and release a new faction based around that idea some day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

The Doom diver is the model I most regretted not getting when that range was discontinued. Its such a fun idea, and a really nice model. I never had enough goblins to justify getting one though. Hopefully they will take the idea of crazy goblin contraptions up to eleven and release a new faction based around that idea some day!

Yeah, I really hope that if they ever do more with grots (like the oft rumored steam-punk pirate grots), or maybe expand Gloomspite a few years down the line, that they bring back some version of the Doom Diver.  A catapult that flings suicidal dive-bomber goblin hang-gliders is just too much fun to go away forever.

We still have rules and points for much of this for now, but as with anything I fully expect the ideas that GW does not migrate over to  a full army allegiance battletome to eventually be pruned from the game.  That said, GW has a long history for taking ideas from their past and reinvigorating them.  Pretty much the entire development of Age of Sigmar has been one big example of this.  So I would not be surprised to see some of these forces, or individual models, come back in some form later down the road.

• LOVE IT! 1