So, who does want Tomb Kings and Bretonnians back?

So, who does want Tomb Kings and Bretonnians back?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Which retired factions would you quite like to collect if given the chance?

• Tomb Kings
    • Bretonnians
    • Greenskins
    • Gitmob
    • Dogs of War

There has been an increasing amount of discussion about Tomb Kings of late, with both the GW survey and the egyptian like scenery in White Dwarf. It seems as though my beloved Tomb Kings remain quite popular, but I've struggled to get a clear idea of how popular they actually are, or whether it is just a handful of us vocally demanding their return. I also feel the Tomb Kings get a lot more chatter than other retired factions, but since they are the one closest to my heart it might just be that I don't notice impassioned calls for the rise of Bretonnia to the same extent.

So I figured lets do a show of hands as to which retired factions we still love to collect, and would like to see return some day. I've included Greenskins and Gitmob for completeness, and thrown in the old Dogs of War. There are probably other retired factions which I've forgotten about, so please feel free to shout out to others in the comments below!

9 minutes ago, BobbyB said:

none, which isn't an option on your survey

Same for me!

I often tell this in a funny way to my friend but IMHO there has never been more TK and Bret players now they are squated...

I mean, I started the hobby fifteen years ago and even if I totally understand that I can only testify based on my area which is insignificant compared to the whole world, those two factions were totally neglected by the player base.

Plus, and IMHO again, they do not fit the AOS aesthetic at all. I'm more in favor of letting them die peacefully, and move on with another great minis (including a complete AoS revisit of those factions).

Edited by Ghark
  • Like 8

With Brets while it's true they don't fit the aesthetic well neither do Free peoples, The thrown together block of Aelves or the leftover Dwarf holds, I don't particularly like nor acknowledge that argument, Even if the army remains a Generals Handbook force I don't think it should be just discarded, That said with the Bretonian line specifically if they did discard it well the models could be preserved through the Free Peoples, I don't think there is a much in the Brets lineup that doesn't have an appropriate warscroll even if you have to get a little creative with the Collegiate's, Compendium or Devoted factions, Not ideal but you know, Make do with what we have rather than cry over what won't be, Gitmobs can be used as Gloomspite and the Dogs of war units have been used as stand-ins for Empire models waay before WFB was Endtimed.

The 2 that I think should come back no matter what though are the Tomb Kings and Greenskins, The Death faction is not small ****** but it lacks a certain aesthetic that you would expect from a fantasy set undead faction, I think the Tomb Kings would fill that gap, We can field legions of Ghosts, Zombies, Ghoulies and Vampires but the Skelies are thin on the ground, The Kings would open that up so you could field an entire army of varied Bone buddies, Greenskins have got to come back period as the Ork AOS force is beyond anemic, The Ironjaws faction is just soo skint and boring and that is such a crime as Orks in WFB was arguably the most characterful varied force in the game.

• Like 1

I didn't think there needed to be a specific "none of them" option. Clearly that is going to be the default position for quite a lot of people.

I've always been a little skeptical of the argument that things "don't fit the Age of Sigmar aesthetic." Everyone likes different things, and I have no problem with that, so if they don't appeal to your idea of what the setting can be then that's fine. However, the whole point of the Age of Sigmar aesthetic is that it is so broad and varied that anything can exist somewhere. Half the black library stuff I've read recently has been set in desert areas, with a somewhat middle eastern flare, so there's definitely room for more Egyptian themed stuff. Plus pyramids still feature quite prominantly in Nagash's forces, and he and Arkhan show their Khemrian roots.

As far as Bretts go, I agree that they fit quite well into the free peoples header. There are a few things which don't quite have a warscroll, but with a bit of creative thinking you can easily run sorceresses as battlemages and find a space for the cavalry and infantry. I don't think there is a good equivalent for the trebuchet without resorting to the compendium though, and some of the more specific stuff clearly works best with its own warscrolls.

• Like 5

Of all those factions I would like to get back Greenskinz and Gitmobz the most as they are still in the fluff. Bretonnians could return, but not as separate faction - rather as an expansion of Demigryph Knights.

• Like 1

I would prefer that they update all of the factions first and even out their bad external balance and work on their equally bad internal balance before they bring back dead factions.  Once they have addressed the gameplay and balance issues, feel free to bring in new races or bring back dead races turned into AOS factions better.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

I would prefer that they update all of the factions first and even out their bad external balance and work on their equally bad internal balance before they bring back dead factions.  Once they have addressed the gameplay and balance issues, feel free to bring in new races or bring back dead races turned into AOS factions better.

I agree with you so much on this.  We're still waiting for books for some armies, not to mention updated to after Malign Sorcery.  We need GW to focus on continued support and updating armies that they ALREADY have and less on generating new armies or bringing back dead ones to focus on.

• Like 1

With a shift in focus to magical constructs, the Tomb Kings could find their niche, even slimmed down to a more AoS-sized model range (tomb king, tomb guard, necropolis knights/sepulchral stalkers, tomb sphinx/necrosphinx, throw in a plastic liche priest/necrotect). I'd miss the archers and the chariots but it wouldn't be the worst.

They could be the grudging subjects/furious Shyishian holdouts against Nagash, the one true undead thorn in his side. Double down on the monumental arrogance that has made Settra so popular and you'd have a winner. That colossal (and very human) hubris against death itself is as much of their character as the Egyptian aesthetic, and already gives them more personality than a number of made-for-AoS factions. Hell, Tyler Mengel's Endless Deserts background is already rock solid: http://theendlessdeserts.blogspot.com/

Bretonnians, eh, I like them more as ravening ghouls with delusions of gore-stained chivalry than I ever did in the Old World.☺️

• LOVE IT! 2

It is all down to personal preferences. I love traditional fantasy elements and the designs of Bretonnians so I would love to see them in AoS. A lot of people would say they should scrap Stormcast Eternals. In the end no one likes seeing a faction getting binned off and I would be happy for the ones that did at the end of Fantasy be brought back.

I don't necessary want Tomb Kings back in that they just transplant the entire old model line and as much lore as possible straight into AoS. However, I really liked the plastic construct kits and I'd like to seem them brought back via Flesh Eater Courts treatment or preferably with a Sylvaneth style treatment where they flesh them out a bit more a couple of additional kits.

• Like 1

I just want them back to stop people from constantly wanting them back and flooding threads with it...

I get it, I really do, as I would have picked up bretonnia if they were in AoS now. in fact I started a soulblight army because I wanted knights and those were the only normal knights they had left. But it's getting really bloody annoying now. it's been four years. 

• Like 4

The problem for me is, why should  all from Death bow to the Nagash, who, proved himself only good in messing everything?

Order has Sigmar (and maybe other human gods such as Morrda, who is very likely Morr in AOS), Elves gods (even dead elves gods do exit, like Khaine), Dwarves gods, Seraphon gods (At least Sotek does still exit, not mention those demi-god-like magical frogs), 

Destruction has Gork, Mork, Badmoon, Spider godess

Chaos has big five and maybe Hashut will come back one day as there does exit Chaos Dwarves

But for Death, for Death you only have Nagash, which is...

Dumb

You don't have choice, if you are from Death then you must be ruled by Nagash, or some pitiful outcasts who have to fear Nagash everyday

You can not be a necromancer who use undead legions to protect your living people because Nagash only sees you guys as slaves and one day will turn your people into dead walkers just for fun.

You can not be a powerful vampire noble who just want to stay in your castle and rule living kingdoms , because one day Nagash will accuse you  a traitor, turn you into a mad ghoul king who leads also mad man-feasting monsters 

Dudes, we do need someone from Death to stand against Nagash.

And that, can be anyone

but I will be particularly happy if that is someone from the world-that-was...

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Well should there ever be a time when greenskinz and the Tomb kings will come back I might start those armies.

they had a certain unicness to them.

If I ever had the choice to either start one of those two armies or the so called deepkins or poster-things I’d rather go with the first option.

I loved those old armies, the fluff and even the esthetics they brought with them.

the new armies which were represented a few years ago, like the fish-things and poster boys, are unic in their own way as well but I just dislike their fluff, now I’m not saying that it is bad or anything, but I just don’t really like it.

the deepkins basically can swim on land, but need to be underwater to breath (very confusing) and then they have some mystical woven airsea where their enemy’s feel like drowning, which would make that faction Oop in the lore.

(a drowning foe can technically seen not fight)

the storm-cast basically never die, which means that whole skaven armies will die rapidly thanks to their black hunger when fighting this guys, and yes those poster-things might. Loose their soul if they die-die to many times, but really who cares, dead-things should stay dead-dead yes-Yes.

now the only wish I have is to be able to finally kill-slay some good old green-things and eat-gnaw on the bones of my favored man-things and dead-things the tomb kings and brets.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

From what I was told, tomb kings were not very good rules-wise in warhammer even though they had nice new kits, so nobody bought them because of that.

Bretonnians also from what I was told had pretty bad rules or old rules and no one wanted them because of that.

I can definitely see how that would make people not buy them, especially since it seems competitive players do the most buying.

11 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

From what I was told, tomb kings were not very good rules-wise in warhammer even though they had nice new kits, so nobody bought them because of that.

Bretonnians also from what I was told had pretty bad rules or old rules and no one wanted them because of that.

I can definitely see how that would make people not buy them, especially since it seems competitive players do the most buying.

Tomb Kings were pretty popular in their time. I know when I started in Fantasy I played against them plenty of times. As time went on however, much like Grey Knights in 40k now, several editions of poor rules caused a lot of people to shy away.

Bretonnians were a much loved army, but they received one Army Book in about... what was it, thirteen or so years before End Times? And no new kits since then either. They were a bit like Sisters in that respect. People loved the lore, people loved the idea of them, but they had two plastic kits and the rest of the range was in metal/finecrap. Everybody wanted to collect them but nobody did, holding out for an update that never came.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

well, that and building a full WHF army was a massive investment that players tend to commit to armies that were generally stronger in rules (or in O&G case a really fun army) if they were to spend that kind of money. plus Ushabti and some of the cooler models in the range were notoriously bad on the table