1000 points Moonclan / Startup

Die Gruenhaut

Hi,

i just started age of Sigmar and try out sone theoretical list building :D maybe you can give me some advise and help. Thats my current list:

Skarsnik     100

Shaman       60

40 Goblins  240

20 Goblins  120

6 fanatics   180

1 Colossal squig 300

makes exactly 1000 points. What do you think? 

well okay :D sounds good. Cant weit to field them the first time...what about the weapons for Gobbos? I have no idea :( i though about ~32 spears/shields and 8 nets. which banner is best? Or can i take both? And what about the 20 gobbos? Maybe stabba/shield or bows? Need advice:/

Moonclan Grots are a really great faction. Their shaman has one of the best Destruction spells, and maybe the best spell in the game for the model's point cost, that is very likely to go off (if you eat the mushroom). A group of 40+ spear grots are great - especially if you slap them with the warboss' command ability - in that case, a group of 40 grots are doing 2dmg on a wound roll of 4+. Really nasty stuff (but you have Skarsnick specifically? I'm not immediately familiar with his CA). Fanatics, of course, will rip through just about anything you send them to. Just make sure they attack first.

So, for the group of 40 do spears. 8-10 nets is good. For the 20, I'd go with bows. They're not great, but they'd be more effective than a group of 20 hws/spears. You wouldn't get the wound bonus. 

When you think your group of 40 is going to be taking heavy damage, give them inspiring presence. It's super easy to lose 15+ goblins in a single turn.

As for the banner, I usually take the bravery one, though I don't find either of them particularly good.

Inspiring Presence is the Generic General ability in the Core Rules that makes a unit immune to Battle shock. Skarsniks Command Ability is great, it allows a unit to Pile In and Attack twice and also makes them immune to Battleshock. 

I just saw the big spider with shaman on the back. This plus warboss on Spider and a few spiderriders have an very cool synergie :o but i think it does not fit into my moonclan :( well i think in the future ill go the squig way, when possible to play them competitive 

I play a similar list. It runs very good . In my opinion you need somethingh moving fast in the battlefield . But i love colossal squig, a stormcast's nightmar.

Fanatics are very interesting when i use them to block the enemy s charge. So try this Crazy grots in hard strategy

You Can add One warscroll from the destruction ally. You Can do that because skarsnik usually walk near grots and a faster unit Like spider or Wolf or orruk boarboyz Can move far from the army's core and out general's range ability.

Squig+ skarsnik: letal combo 

But i Like your list, nothing to change. May be one more shaman ,very cool min in my battle

2 hours ago, Orruk'sPizza said:

You Can add One warscroll from the destruction ally. You Can do that because skarsnik usually walk near grots and a faster unit Like spider or Wolf or orruk boarboyz Can move far from the army's core and out general's range ability.

thats a rly good point.  now i must see which of the "faster" units i like the most :D  

if i have two hereos, can they both use their ability in the hero-phase? or just the warlord?

Hi!

Avid Moonclan player here. They are a blast to play in AoS!

Here the list I have been playing so far in Season of War:

Moonclan Grots - 1000pts

Leaders

• Grot Warboss - 80pt (with Moon-cutta)
  • Grot Shaman - 60pt

Units

• 20 Moonclan Grots - 120pt (with Spears and Shields and 3 Netters) - Battleline
  • 20 Moonclan Grots - 120pt (with Spears and Shields and 3 Netters) - Battleline
  • 2 Grot Fanatics - 60pt
  • 2 Grot Fanatics - 60pt
  • 3 Rockgut Troggoths - 200pt
  • Colossal Squig - 300pt - Behemoth

This build has been fairly successful at playing any of the matched play scenarios, quite mobile, lot of bodies for objectives, a big distraction/glass cannon. Troggoths are more for thematic reasons, but can perform nicely usually stay behind a line of grots to take advantage of their 2" melee reach, and puke all over the enemy characters if they get in the melee within 6". Warboss stays behind and throws others under the bus (a true leader), gives the Inspiring Presence or the Stab Dem Good ability based on how the situation looks like.

Another build I was considering is:

Leaders

• Grot Warboss - 80pt (with Moon-cutta)
  • Grot Shaman - 60pt

Units

• 20 Moonclan Grots - 120pt (with Shortbows and 3 Netters) - Battleline
  • 2 Grot Fanatics - 60pt
  • 2 Grot Fanatics - 60pt
  • 2 Grot Fanatics - 60pt
  • Mangler Squigs - 240pt - Behemoth

Formations:

• Great Moonclan - 80pt

Alternatively, swap the Mangler for 15 Squig Hoppers, and throw the Warboss on a Giant Cave Squig.

You need to be very particular about how you deploy the fanatics. As units of one, they are phenomenal at blocking charges (even repeatedly). I blocked Archaon and a Dread Saurian from doing anything at Rain of Stars. If you want to deploy them as an offensive unit, then you would want toput 3 or 6 and deploy them as a single unit, so you can pick them all to attack in your turn.

Irritatingly, I think you might need to commit to how they are split into units (1s, 2s, 3s or 6s) in advance when writing the list.

Archived