Looncurse - GW's Plants vs Fungi

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Because they can spiral out of control and generally be very negative. One of the key things we want for TGA is for this not to be a negative place to visit for your hobby needs. I think most people can make a judgement on the value of the box to themselves, so personally isn't really anything that needs to be discussed. If it was poor value for money, people wouldn't buy it.

As for the set, I think it looks great. I think it's a nice collection of models and as somebody mentioned above, each of the Grand Alliances have been in a box set now. I would suggest, if I was to improve it, I would like to see some terrain with it but I think it's a good set if you collect either of those armies. Plus point is that we will be seeing a Slyvaneth battletome soon as well

Might as well not discuss the cool new models in the box. Some people not like them and that can lead to negative comments of GW model design. It could spiral out of control. I think everyone can quietly make a judgement on whether they like the models to themselves and move on. 

I dunno. In my opinion, discussing value in a box set is a valid point of discussion. Having a dissenting or honest reaction to something (even if it’s disappointment or not liking an aspect) breeds a healthy and robust discussion. Obviously, toxic/insulting/aggressive posts are a different story. :)

I really do like the new sylvaneth hero though. I like how stoic and commanding the pose is, which contrasts with the whimsical, pedal to the floor stance of the gitz hero. Just the way it should be! Ancient and timeless ghost trees should be the anthiesis of spitefull, emoutional, fungus eating short lived goblins.

The character of the armies are represented in the character and pose of the new models for each faction in this box.

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Two things. 

Seems the Kurnoth Hunters with bows' warscroll is unchanged. They could have received a small buff to hit as they are really less popular than their Scythes and Swords counterparts. Also Tree-Revenants seem to have 1dmg as they used to. Maybe at least they have more attacks. 

Second - in the box there are only Kurnoth Hunters with bows? No other options? 

1 minute ago, Aryann said:

Two things. 

Seems the Kurnoth Hunters with bows' warscroll is unchanged. They could have received a small buff to hit as they are really less popular than their Scythes and Swords counterparts. Also Tree-Revenants seem to have 1dmg as they used to. Maybe at least they have more attacks. 

All options on the sprue and the warscroll changed, they received 1 extra atk and keyword.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

All options on the sprue and the warscroll changed, they received 1 extra atk and keyword.

That extra attack on the bow might make them worth using in AOS.

Hope the Revenants get an upgrade too. Currently have 10 I never use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Because they can spiral out of control and generally be very negative.

So moderators shall act kind of prophylactically, because something CAN / COULD be not positive?

I am sorry, if my response brought up the moderator's hat, but I really don't get the point there.
If we act like this, let us just imprison all chefs. With their knifes, they COULD become murderers.

Sorry for, that direct response. If I deserve a ban now, I will have to take it.

28 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I dunno. In my opinion, discussing value in a box set is a valid point of discussion. Having a dissenting or honest reaction to something (even if it’s disappointment or not liking an aspect) breeds a healthy and robust discussion. Obviously, toxic/insulting/aggressive posts are a different story. :)

I quite agree it can be a valid point of discussion but I've been around discussion boards/forums for quite a few years and it never ends well. Also getting grey of the hair now (whilst I still have some!), it's a discussion which we as a consumer only see parts of and make assumptions of others. This is why it doesn't end well. If people, don't like the price, it won't sell as well as the other sets. Besides, we don't know how much it will be ;) 

Anyway, less of this discussion about costs.

What do people think about the choice of models in the set? I think it's a good selection as it gives something interesting to paint for both sides and the themes of the forces come across nicely. It also makes it different for the Sylvaneth  forces from the Start Collecting set.

7 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

So moderators shall act kind of prophylactically, because something CAN / COULD be not positive?

I am sorry, if my response brought up the moderator's hat, but I really don't get the point there.
If we act like this, let us just imprison all chefs. With their knifes, they COULD become murderers.

Sorry for, that direct response. If I deserve a ban now, I will have to take it.

I don't want to derail this anymore about this but please read 

and

https://www.tga.community/site-rules/

Also just to quote off the site rules as well

Most of all have fun!
This is your place to discuss your hobby, but please remember, it’s other people’s hobby too.
Have fun!

The role of the moderators is to try and ensure that everybody has fun and try and steer things away from some topics which can be very negative. If this is something you don't like the idea of, that's fine but this might not be the forum for you. Ben's vision was to create a fun place for people to discuss Warhammer and have fun. If you want to discuss and pull apart how GW price things, there are other forums out there that can do that service for you, but these can be very toxic discussions which is not what we want on TGA ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

@Battlefury & @sal4m4nd3r

Just to explain the post I popped up.  Firstly it was a "black hat" post as opposed to a "red hat" post (which tends to be for when things need full on moderating).  The post wasn't aimed at anybody specifically (though the saying "if the cap fits, wear it" does come to mind).  The concept of the Mod Hat allows us to put things up in an official capacity - whilst also allowing us to post up our own personal opinions - we're hobbyists too you know!

The issue was with this thread was that within a couple of posts were complaints about how it wasn't value for money and what felt like quite a high amount of moaning in relation to other comments*.  Let's be honest - we don't actually know how much the box is, yes we can take some educated guesses but until it hit's the shelves any monetary discussion is guesswork!  Also things like value for money are hugely subjective - and as both @Gaz Taylor and I can attest to, subjective comments are the most likely to end up with two or more members "having a falling out" - which certainly isn't healthy or conducive to a nice environment to be in, so if a quick message will help steer things back on track that's what we do.

* One of my biggest issues with typed text is that it's very easy to lose meaning because it's really difficult to add emotion to black and white text.  What was meant as a light hearted jest can come across as anything but for example!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Didn't think I was in a minority liking the old finecast gobbo boss on giant squig but there you go. Excellent striking pose, comically couched spear, horned helmet tipping off his head... New one's good too, I love the curling Brian Froud-style sabatons and the mask but the best bits seem to be sticking to the movement the original did so well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aryann said:

Two things. 

I think the hunters with bows became less popular because their own scenery (which can almost span the entire board in some cases) blocks line of sight. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

I don't want to derail this back to costs too much, but my Friendly Local Gaming Store have confirmed that it should be £95. They seemed to be looking it up on some sort of GW material, rather than making a guess based on other sets, so may have advanced information as  retailer.

I think it looks great. I'll be keen to paint up the new Sylvaneth Hero, although I might need to wait until it comes out separately. I've already got most of the Sylvie side, and had resolved not to start Gloomspite until next year, since I've got far too much stuff to paint at the moment.

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I think the hunters with bows became less popular because their own scenery (which can almost span the entire board in some cases) blocks line of sight. 

I would say that 6 ranged attacks with 4+ to hit for 200 pts was rubbish! I played in last edition with 12 bowhunters to snipe down DoT casters, but other than that bowhunters was underprefforming (dealing 3-4 dmg on average vs 4+ save)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a74xhx said:

That extra attack on the bow might make them worth using in AOS.

Hope the Revenants get an upgrade too. Currently have 10 I never use.

I have wanted the bows to work as artillery is nice to have, but they haven't consistently performed. The extra attack would probably bring their consistency up a decent bit.

Revenants are just so soft. I love the teleporting ability for many of the battleplans, but they are so easy to get rid of.

16 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Ummm maybe i'm wrong but Kurnoth Hunters already have 2 attacks on their bows? At least according to the war scroll app.

On the community site you can see the warscroll well enough in the photo to see the weapon profile. War scroll app I assume will be updated when the box ships.

Anyways, I for one am super stoked, coincidentally these are the only two factions I play. Can always use more squigs and kurnoth hunters.

41 minutes ago, chuckecheese said:

I have wanted the bows to work as artillery is nice to have, but they haven't consistently performed. The extra attack would probably bring their consistency up a decent bit.

Revenants are just so soft. I love the teleporting ability for many of the battleplans, but they are so easy to get rid of.

On the community site you can see the warscroll well enough in the photo to see the weapon profile. War scroll app I assume will be updated when the box ships.

Anyways, I for one am super stoked, coincidentally these are the only two factions I play. Can always use more squigs and kurnoth hunters.

If you say so. Looks like a 2 to me or at least way too blurry but I would not mind being wrong.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Didn't think I was in a minority liking the old finecast gobbo boss on giant squig but there you go. Excellent striking pose, comically couched spear, horned helmet tipping off his head... New one's good too, I love the curling Brian Froud-style sabatons and the mask but the best bits seem to be sticking to the movement the original did so well.

Funnily enough my coverted Finecast one resembles this new one as I went lance and mooncap over the existing pieces

Just a small note on the pricing, the value of the Sylvaneth is higher but it's higher because the cost of the Revenants is way to high for what the models are. They're priced like an elite infantry unit, when they're really not. They really should be priced similar to the Namarti Thralls or Sisters of Slaughter, given their size and battlefield role.

Anyways, I'm super excited, because this is making me bit the bullet on getting a bunch of Sylvaneth models I really want, but also getting a bunch of Squigs, who definitely are among the best models out there right now. A small force to play with friends, and more cool weird tree ghosts? Yeah I'm sold.