Looncurse - GW's Plants vs Fungi

5 hours ago, DrJekyll325 said:

How can GW possibly be underestimating the demand by this much again and again?

Because they still give extremely short notice to anyone outside their company about what products are upcoming.  They give notice of at best a couple weeks rather than a quarterly roadmap.  That means that most likely they have to do some sort of in-house estimations (magic 8-ball?) about sales when they decide how many copies to make rather than letting customers provide input (either retailers making orders or customer pre-orders).

But to be fair, artificial scarcity is a better problem to have than a warehouse full of junk that you can’t shift.

Australian site still seems to have stock... but really, I don't understand why people still buy from GW directly. There's so many places to get things cheaper (even after paying for online postage). Any city large enough for a GW is going to have a bunch of 3rd party game stores that can get it for cheaper. 

The online direct only stuff can still be ordered by stores. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 2:13 PM, DrJekyll325 said:

Looks like my FLGS is only getting one copy, despite three different people pre-ordering it.  I'm lucky that I was the first to pre-order so I'll get the one copy, but a bit disappointed that I won't get two boxes like I wanted.

How can GW possibly be underestimating the demand by this much again and again?

I have, unfortunately, had to learn the hard way that using the FLGS (or indeed even my local actual GW store!) for things like warscroll cards and limited boxes like this one is not a good plan. Amazon is my go-to now. A little price discount, free shipping, often no tax, and the retailer's fear of getting negative feedback which can impact their Amazon status seems to be doing enough to get me my stuff.

For regular stuff, I still prefer the local shops, but for this stuff, I just can't take the chance.

Edit: side note.

I actually feel bad for my Warhammer store.  The manager gets his stock level set by corporate, and he has to prove he has demand before they bump him up in quantities. However, since I can't count on his shop getting things like this in, he won't have the opportunity to sell me the box (and other stuff), meaning he cannot prove he 'deserves' more product.  Nasty catch 22. It stinks, too, because he is a good guy with a good shop.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

I don’t think GW is underestimating demand at all, they know exactly what they’re doing. They’ve been caught out with making too many copies of a game/box before and having it sit on shelves for years so now they are deliberately keeping their limited run boxes to a smaller number that they know they can sell through. Sensible business.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Edit: side note.

I actually feel bad for my Warhammer store.  The manager gets his stock level set by corporate, and he has to prove he has demand before they bump him up in quantities. However, since I can't count on his shop getting things like this in, he won't have the opportunity to sell me the box (and other stuff), meaning he cannot prove he 'deserves' more product.  Nasty catch 22. I stinks, too, because he is a good guy with a good shop.

Mine is the same.  It is a very bad way to manage a retail store and try to build a community.  I basically only purchase from my local GW store for impulse buy items anymore due to their issue with stocking.  And when you place an order with them they make you walk over to a kiosk that simply uses their online store.  I have no need to travel to their physical store to use their online website that I can easily do at home - or better yet purchase from the myriad of online discounters just as easily.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

I don’t think GW is underestimating demand at all, they know exactly what they’re doing. They’ve been caught out with making too many copies of a game/box before and having it sit on shelves for years so now they are deliberately keeping their limited run boxes to a smaller number that they know they can sell through. Sensible business.

The reseller market on places such as eBay for Carrion Empire and a number of other limited sets points to there being some level of underestimation from GW.  I agree with you that erring on the side of selling the whole production run rather than sitting on product they cannot move is a good decision, however I think there is also an area where they can definitely underestimate how much they could have still sold from the initial run.  There is a middle ground there.

If they are happy with the return they made from this one-off run then good for them, however given the fact that this has rapidly sold out before it even hit the streets (and a number of other things did as well) indicates that they could have sold a greater amount.  They operate in such short windows for even announcing that they will be releasing a product that it is simply not possible for them to effectively estimate what the market for something would be.  Honestly, they should at least give retailers a longer heads up so that they can preemptively place orders and allow GW enough time to make sure they have stock to fulfill all of those orders - and then gauge how much they need for their own direct sales.

• Like 1

Apologies if my complaining about the stock levels diverted us from a positive discussion about the boxed set.

I'm looking forward personally to getting a good start on small forces for both factions:

• Gloomspite Gitz - 590 pts
    • Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig - 110 pts
    • Fungoid Cave-Shaman - 90 pts
    • 21 x Squig Herd - 210 pts
    • 10 x Squig Hoppers - 180 pts

• Sylvaneth - 600 pts.?
    • Arch Revenant - 100 pts?
    • Ylthari's Guardians - 180 pts
    • 10 x Tree-Revenants - 160 pts

What is everyone else planning?  Any suggestions on the next 400 points for either force above?

50 minutes ago, DrJekyll325 said:

Apologies if my complaining about the stock levels diverted us from a positive discussion about the boxed set.

I'm looking forward personally to getting a good start on small forces for both factions:

• Sylvaneth - 600 pts.?

What is everyone else planning?  Any suggestions on the next 400 points for either force above?

It's probably tough to say for Sylvaneth since they are getting a new book and a whole lot can potentially change.  But I would say a reasonable guess would be to get a Start Collecting box for Sylvaneth.  That will give you a diverse force and nothing in either box is duplicated.  It seems like you really could not go wrong with that purchase.

For the Gloomspite force it depends on what direction you want to go.  Boingrot bounders are always a good choice as they are one of the best units in the army hands-down.  A mangler squig or boss on mangler are not bad options.  And I personally think you cannot have too many units of Squig Herd.  You could also potentially branch into standard grots and add some Stabbas or Shootas into the force.  It all depends on the sort of force you want as the Gloomspite book supports a pretty diverse amount of builds.

• Like 2

Looncurse is a bit of a distraction for me as I am supposed to be finally completing Khorne and Stormcast armies but I know that I will end up with the Sylvaneth Start Collecting at some point. 

I probably won’t expand the Gloomspite side of things for a while, hopefully to allow for a Battlebox release around Christmas. Plan is to go Squigs and Troggoths though.

5 hours ago, DrJekyll325 said:

• Sylvaneth - 600 pts.?

Well the Looncurse box (for Sylvaneth) is

• Arch Revenant - 100 pts
  • Kurnoth Hunters 200pts

So you get 460. 
If you want to add

That takes you to 640. 
after that you'd probably want some more battle line (so either more Tree-Revs or Dryads) and another unit of Kurnoth Hunters. 

In fact adding 10x Tree-Revs and 3xHunters takes the above list to exactly 1000pts. 
So that's not a bad start. 

• Like 1

my local gw store only recieved 2 copies, although its still available on the nz website, im doubtful ill be able to get the 2 boxes i wanted (ive arranged to split a box with someone, so ill at least have the squigs from that)

Sylvaneth is one of those armies i keep looking at but never pulled the trigger. as for Gloomspite Gitz, i already have a Spiderfang army and squigs was the next area i wanted to explore with them. this box grabbed my attention because would have been useful to both those ideas, unfortunately it also delays my plans to complete my Flesh-Eaters whic i was hoping to do before i started any other projects, and even then Fyreslayers was supposed to be next in the que

2 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Sylvaneth is one of those armies i keep looking at but never pulled the trigger. as for Gloomspite Gitz, i already have a Spiderfang army and squigs was the next area i wanted to explore with them. this box grabbed my attention because would have been useful to both those ideas, unfortunately it also delays my plans to complete my Flesh-Eaters which i was hoping to do before i started any other projects, and even then Fyreslayers was supposed to be next in the que

I relate strongly to this paragraph!  😄

Single run but I’m pretty sure you’re fine if you prordered. They stop allowing pre-orders once they sell out.

I wonder how much of a difference it would make if GW enforced maximum purchase limits. Most of us want one or two but I always get the impression that there are people out there buying every one they can get their hands on to flip on ebay. 

• Like 2

I ordered one from a local store.  I am not sure how many copies they will get - if any.  I would honestly preferred 2.  Whether or not I actually get this box will probably determine if I purchase a Sylvaneth army or not.  No box set and I will most likely just not bother with the trees.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:11 PM, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Try an online retailer.

Strangely enough, I called the manager at the local GW and she said 3 were arriving and if I walked thru the door at noon, one of those beasties would be mine 😺

For all assassins out there would like to see my head mounted on a wall, you know where I’ll be at noon Saturday 🔪☠️

Yaaaay! Looncurse! 

You might want to order your copies from other countries. I have never encountered any problems with ordering preorder boxes from GW (I'm Polish). Even now most polish shops sell Looncurse. Postage shouldn't be THAT expensive (like €10).

I'll never understand the logic that Pre-Orders "Sell Out".  Isn't that the point of a Pre-Order?  To clarify the demand of the product?  The fact that they stop taking Pre-Orders is asinine.

I can understand not wanting to be stuck with tons of boxes that don't sell, but for god's sakes GW, this is a Pre-Order product.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, the_master288 said:

I'll never understand the logic that Pre-Orders "Sell Out".  Isn't that the point of a Pre-Order?  To clarify the demand of the product?  The fact that they stop taking Pre-Orders is asinine.

I can understand not wanting to be stuck with tons of boxes that don't sell, but for god's sakes GW, this is a Pre-Order product.

These are not pre-orders, they are pre-sales.  GW does not announce that the products exist, or make pre-orders available far enough out for them to be able to determine what the demand is and order a product run to meet that demand.  They have been bitten in the past with large product runs that they had trouble getting rid of (GorkaMorka - pains me to say that) that they are probably erring on the side of caution and making smaller runs for these 1-time things.

They could change this and allow themselves to better gauge what the market for various products is - but that would probably require them to significantly change how they currently operate.  They might eventually do that - or maybe not.