Looncurse - GW's Plants vs Fungi

19 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Didn't think I was in a minority liking the old finecast gobbo boss on giant squig but there you go. Excellent striking pose, comically couched spear, horned helmet tipping off his head... New one's good too, I love the curling Brian Froud-style sabatons and the mask but the best bits seem to be sticking to the movement the original did so well.

I really love the original sculpt too :) But now we can run two different ones

• Like 2

This box is excellent.  I plan to buy 2 of them.  I hope they continue this trend of releasing boxes for different forces rather than feeling the need to stick a Stormcast force into each box.  I like Stormcast, but I skipped a bunch of the older 2-player box sets aside from the SoulWars starter box due to not being interested in the Stormcast section of the box.

I was always interested in a small force of Sylvaneth, and I will take any excuse to purchase more squigs.  The fact that the Sylvaneth section of this box set compliments their Start Collecting box rather than duplicating or overlapping with the contents makes this set quite attractive.

A big thumbs up on this box set from me.  The contents of Carrion Empire were good also and I hope they continue this trend of box sets.

• Thanks 1

A new preview today, including some info on the Arch-Revenant:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/30/looncurse-the-heroes-and-sample-armiesgw-homepage-post-1/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AoS&utm_content=AoSLooncurseHeroesPreviewApr30&fbclid=IwAR0VaVzL6E6v_Dqc2xegUZ30iFNYnzeOQlRGPgWo33lqNxU4psX77erZ9LA#

Working out points he looks to be 130 points (assuming all other units stay at their current cost). Hits decently hard and is a massively helpful buff unit - with a 12" move and FLY should be where you need him to  be and buffing units that are currently a bit average. Don't think he is quite Arch Regent level game changing, but a nice boost to Sylvaneth close combat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mhsellwood said:

A new preview today, including some info on the Arch-Revenant:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/30/looncurse-the-heroes-and-sample-armiesgw-homepage-post-1/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AoS&utm_content=AoSLooncurseHeroesPreviewApr30&fbclid=IwAR0VaVzL6E6v_Dqc2xegUZ30iFNYnzeOQlRGPgWo33lqNxU4psX77erZ9LA#

Working out points he looks to be 130 points (assuming all other units stay at their current cost). Hits decently hard and is a massively helpful buff unit - with a 12" move and FLY should be where you need him to  be and buffing units that are currently a bit average. Don't think he is quite Arch Regent level game changing, but a nice boost to Sylvaneth close combat

Are you sure?
By my count Alarielle, 30 Tree-Revenants and 9 hunters comes to 1680. The article says that list with 2x Arch Revenants is 1880 which would make the new characters 100pts each not 130. 

I think for 130 they would be way too expensive (if not also wizards), but at 100.... that's not too bad I guess. 
Be nice to see if Sylvaneth get a new unit to go with the Arch Revenants because right now they don't have anything as fast as him/her. 
Unlikely to get a new unit but anything is possible if a new battletome is coming soon. Sylvaneth are a bigger faction than FEC (but then again skaven got nothing)....

Edited by Inquisitorsz
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lord Panther said:

I really don't like how it looks like the squigs foot is being impaled on a mushroom. Will have to fix that somehow.

1636119554_ScreenShot2019-04-30at9_14_18PM.png.4021cf5033f6baaa203fb31a99a63cdc.png

I saw the same damn thing and felt much the same. All I can think to do is clip it off right at the skin line, round off the top so it looks like a normal mushroom, and then pin it back into spot flush to the skin so it looks a little more natural.

Edited by Lord Veshnakar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Are you sure?
By my count Alarielle, 30 Tree-Revenants and 9 hunters comes to 1680. The article says that list with 2x Arch Revenants is 1880 which would make the new characters 100pts each not 130. 

I think for 130 they would be way too expensive (if not also wizards), but at 100.... that's not too bad I guess. 
Be nice to see if Sylvaneth get a new unit to go with the Arch Revenants because right now they don't have anything as fast as him/her. 
Unlikely to get a new unit but anything is possible if a new battletome is coming soon. Sylvaneth are a bigger faction than FEC (but then again skaven got nothing)....

No you are right, like an idiot I just did 30 tree-revenants forgetting about the full unit point discount.

100 points feels good - they are very mobile, decent damage dealing and a very strong command ability. Don't know if they will get a new unit (although I would love a new unit with decent mobility like a giant flying beetle / spite unit) but with a new Battletome should come a new terrain piece and endless spells which would shake their play style up a lot

1 hour ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

I saw the same damn thing and felt much the same. All I can think to do is clip it off right at the skin line, round off the top so it looks like a normal mushroom, and then pin it back into spot flush to the skin so it looks a little more natural.

I'd wait for a 360 view.  It might look a fair bit better when you can see more than the odd angle from that picture.

7 hours ago, Skabnoze said:
8 hours ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

I'd wait for a 360 view.  It might look a fair bit better when you can see more than the odd angle from that picture.

It's not looking great..

1686697954_ScreenShot2019-05-01at10_07_09PM.png.627590a9a2408abeee4f06583524efec.png

From todays community article.

This set's great for me, and the first of these battle boxes I'm going to invest in. I like the squig range and I'd love a chance to paint some of the minis, but they've been a little too expensive for casual purchases while I'm trying to work on other projects - this fixes that and ships a great new hero as well. Meanwhile, I've been wanting to paint the Sylvaneth range since they came out, but I decided to wait and see if they got a battle box or any new miniatures.

As for the squig's foot, I'm not sure what's up with that, but I don't much care for it. In the worst case, it might need rebasing to fix it.

Definitely don't understand the random focus you guys have on the squig's foot here.  It's supposed to be airborne, jumping over a mushroom, and his foot grazed the top of a mushroom as he is jumping. This doubles as a support to be airborne.  How is that strange to anyone???

• Like 3

On 4/29/2019 at 5:06 PM, Gaz Taylor said:

I quite agree it can be a valid point of discussion but I've been around discussion boards/forums for quite a few years and it never ends well. Also getting grey of the hair now (whilst I still have some!), it's a discussion which we as a consumer only see parts of and make assumptions of others. This is why it doesn't end well. If people, don't like the price, it won't sell as well as the other sets. Besides, we don't know how much it will be ;) 

Anyway, less of this discussion about costs.

What do people think about the choice of models in the set? I think it's a good selection as it gives something interesting to paint for both sides and the themes of the forces come across nicely. It also makes it different for the Sylvaneth  forces from the Start Collecting set.

The sylvaneth part is great. I'm also very happy about the hero because

1. We didn't have aoe buffs that where free (Not CA)

2 We didn't have much offensive buffs in general

3. We didn't have many CA in general.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zanzou said:

Definitely don't understand the random focus you guys have on the squig's foot here.  It's supposed to be airborne, jumping over a mushroom, and his foot grazed the top of a mushroom as he is jumping. This doubles as a support to be airborne.  How is that strange to anyone???

The "skin" that goes around the tip of the mushroom looks very unnatural, and if the squig is jumping up, why is it's foot impaled on a mushroom?   It would have looked more natural if it was simply brushing against the side of a mushroom without going into the skin.  Looking at all of the recent "in the air" models, this is one of the worst in terms of implementation. 

That said, The angle from the ground is not the angle most people will see when this thing is on the table top, and most likely the other leg will obstruct this view when you look at it from any higher angle. 

If you don't like it, it should be easy to chop off and reattach as you see fit 

4 hours ago, Zanzou said:

It’s because the mushroom appears to be piercing into the foot, rather than the foot grazing it. The top of the mushroom just disappears.

Still a great model and as sorokyl said we’re probably never going to see it so it’s not a biggy. Still a bit funny though.

Meh.  If the connection still seems weird when I get the physical model in hand then it should be a really simple adjustment.

Honestly, I'll probably end up separating the model from that mushroom to create a different base and change the angle of it's leap anyways.

16 hours ago, Urauloth said:

the first of these battle boxes I'm going to invest in

Total pet peeve. Totally not directed at you.

Investing in something means putting money in with the idea of getting more back later.

For the most part none of us are "investing" in any of these lovely toy soldiers.  We are buying them.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

:)

20 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

Yeah, the weird mushroom connection (just found my new band name) is one of the stranger things I’ve seen GW do but certainly not enough to put me off the model - think it’s brilliant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in on this. Both characters look amazing.

8 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

No, this is wrong. Investing is not to get more money back: it is to get more something back. More victory, more pleasure, etc...

THIS^^

18 hours ago, Zanzou said:

That is one of the unwritten laws of the Internet these days: if there is a point to be argued about, no matter how miniscule, people will argue about it. 😜

Edited by Yokai