Looncurse - GW's Plants vs Fungi

A better preview for the Sylvaneth vs Gloomspite Gitz that was teased during Adepticon can be found here. Or you can proceed to the Warhammer Community page here.

You can then proceed to squee and get giddy about it by posting a reply in this thread :D

Contents:

12-man Squig Herd, 10-man Squig Hoppers, *Plastic* Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig

2 5-man Tree-Revenants, 3-man Kurnoth Hunters, *New* Arch-Revenant hero.

And to start conversation, is this box going to be as limited as Carrion Empire?

Edited by Fairbanks
I forgot two gobbos in the Squig Herd set

First of all: 12 Squig Herd as the two Goblins belong to the squad :)

The Box looks great in my opinions. It´s nice that GW got 2 Boxes for all 4 Great Alliances (Chaos/Death with Carrion Empire) and now Destruction/Order. Also the selection of all of thoose 4 Factions is quite nice as all Factions deserved a bit more spotlight which they finally got :)

I also like the fact that thoose two armies are a great contrast: Sylvaneth beeing more serious and grim while goblins are rather a funny and mad thing. This may lead to an easier split as both factions adress different tastes.

I quess the box will be as limited as Carrion Empire, but stay longer in the shelf due to lower demand

Edit: Thinking twice about it I noticed that GW actually put there content one might want to buy twice to start a solid army. Therefore I could imagine the demand beeing not so low as surely some people might buy this box twice.

Edited by Charleston
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Charleston said:

The Box looks great in my opinions. It´s nice that GW got 2 Boxes for all 4 Great Alliances (Chaos/Death with Carrion Empire) and now Destruction/Order. Also the selection of all of thoose 4 Factions is quite nice as all Factions deserved a bit more spotlight which they finally got :)

I loved the synergy with Carrion Empire that this brought.

Also, I loved noticing how well the Sylvaneth side doesn't overlap with the Start Collecting Box, so new players would be able to buy both and get a good collection/selection of everything to try out.

• Like 3

Just now, Fairbanks said:

I loved the synergy with Carrion Empire that this brought.

Also, I loved noticing how well the Sylvaneth side doesn't overlap with the Start Collecting Box, so new players would be able to buy both and get a good collection/selection of everything to try out.

Yeah, especially as for the next Box they can mix up another pairing like Chaos/Destruction without risking that anyone in the community may have an big issue with it.

That synergy with the SC!-Box is also one big selling point of the box! Similar like the Carrion Box we have here one Faction that is easy to start with the box-content and a SC (FEC/Sylvaneth) and one rather complex army (Skaven/Gloomspite). It´s just amazing what GW is releasing here right now. It works out way better than what they tried in 40k, mostly as almost every single 40k-dual-box contained some Space Marines. It´s just idioticaly easy to lure some new friends into the hobby, even when on a budget right now

2 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

And to start conversation, is this box going to be as limited as Carrion Empire?

Far as I'm aware we don't have any hard numbers from GW to know how many they produce of each box nor if they continue and maintain stocks or just produce one batch etc... I would wager it hinges on when the Sylvanath Battletome is released. If that is released alongside the boxed set or very soon after then I'd wager its a short term box, or at least one that might well burn through its stock quickly.

However if the Battletome doesn't come soon after then it might linger on the market for longer. 

Really without hard data from GW its impossible to predict. We don't even know if Carrion Empire was produced in similar volumes to other boxed sets or if they produced more or less. 

I like both new models. While sylvaneth is not my fav army they do have a very cool style to them and this hero looks badass. As for my moonboys this is a great addition and replacement of the old one. Too bad I’m busy with my current projects or I would grab a box for the gg stuff. 

As has already been said, this is a great start point for both armies.

For the Gitz, you have the option of up to 4 separate units who can all be battleline (2 x 5 Squig hoppers who are battleline with a Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig, 2 x 6 Squig Herd who are battleline with a Moonclan boss) and a very solid leader both in terms of how he supports the other models in the box, but also his stats. The slight downside here is that there is no obvious 'next step' for the purchaser. Obviously you can expand by just picking up whatever models look cool and no need to worry about battleline as you can easily cover that off, but an ideal offering would be say a Start Collecting box with something like a unit of stabbas/shootas, a Shaman and a Troggoth unit.

For the Sylvaneth you get 2 battleline units, a very cool 'other' unit and a new character. This also then flows perfectly into picking up a Start Collecting box. With just two purchases you have a pretty solid 1,000 point list and basically the core for any size list you might want to build.

Personally I am pretty interested in how much change we are going to see for the Sylvaneth (Gitz being brand new means I don't expect we will see any changes for them). The rules for Yltahri's Guardians suggests a change in the Revenants Martial Memories rule, but I wonder whether we will see hints of the broader changes likely in the new battletome.

I really don't like that way GW goes with those boxes. Like throwing them on the market in limited value, and then charging horendous prices for the released single models / units.

We all know, what struggle it is to get the Archregent for a plausible value.
They released the Flech Hounds from the Wrath and Rapture box for fu**ing 40€...for those 5 snapfit / easy to build dogs. WTF?!?

The Box content itself is good, but sometimes really not worth the price ( at least for one of the factions in the box ), and then being charged with horrendous prices is clearly a bad way imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

I really don't like that way GW goes with those boxes. Like throwing them on the market in limited value, and then charging horendous prices for the released single models / units.

We all know, what struggle it is to get the Archregent for a plausible value.
They released the Flech Hounds from the Wrath and Rapture box for fu**ing 40€...for those 5 snapfit / easy to build dogs. WTF?!?

The Box content itself is good, but sometimes really not worth the price ( at least for one of the factions in the box ), and then being charged with horrendous prices is clearly a bad way imo.

The price they charge for the kits when they come out separately is what they’d charge anyway. 

• Like 1

+++ MOD HAT +++

Seriously?!  We've not even got onto a second page and I'm already reading moaning about pricing and value for money!

This box follows what  has become a fairly standard pricing and miniature format.  If you're looking to start/expand either of the armies included and can find somebody to split the box with, it's going to be a pretty low pricing point regardless of which side you're going for.  Equally, if you're buying it just for the character models it's going to be pretty expensive - you'd be better off waiting and picking up the models when they come out on their own (or heading off to eBay or a Bitz company)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Equally, if you're buying it just for the character models it's going to be pretty expensive - you'd be better off waiting and picking up the models when they come out on their own (or heading off to eBay or a Bitz company)

I think it is the "wait" part that is the pain spot here. For some, waiting is hard. 😅

Edited by Yokai
  • Like 1

I'm guessing the box will be £95 RRP like Carrion Empire, down to £76 with 20% off. I'm looking at getting the gitz so if I can get just that half for £38 I'm getting the 2 squig units at £5 cheaper than normal (with 20% discount) with a character thrown in for free. Seems like a bargain to me. We'll see what the box is priced at, if it's less than £95 RRP then it's ridiculously good value.

Edited by Zadolix

It will be priced around the £100 mark. It is essentially two start collecting sets combined. The squigs are new models so that side gets less of a discount at around 30% over the individual price.  The Slyvaneth side is about three years old now, except for the character, so they get a 50% discount. 

All the figures in this set are great.  I think it is going to sell like hotcakes.  

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

+++ MOD HAT +++

Seriously?!  We've not even got onto a second page and I'm already reading moaning about pricing and value for money!

This box follows what  has become a fairly standard pricing and miniature format.  If you're looking to start/expand either of the armies included and can find somebody to split the box with, it's going to be a pretty low pricing point regardless of which side you're going for.  Equally, if you're buying it just for the character models it's going to be pretty expensive - you'd be better off waiting and picking up the models when they come out on their own (or heading off to eBay or a Bitz company)

What in the world is wrong with people discussing price points and value from box sets? Like really.. was an authoritative "mod hat" post/warning needed? It wasnt even an overtly insulting/snarky response that prompted your summoning. It was an objective analysis of the price of the sets in the box, its contents, and comparison to previous iterations. Lmfao

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

What in the world is wrong with people discussing price points and value from box sets? Like really.. was an authoritative "mod hat" post/warning needed? It wasnt even an overtly insulting/snarky response that prompted your summoning. It was an objective analysis of the price of the sets in the box, its contents, and comparison to previous iterations. Lmfao

Because they can spiral out of control and generally be very negative. One of the key things we want for TGA is for this not to be a negative place to visit for your hobby needs. I think most people can make a judgement on the value of the box to themselves, so personally isn't really anything that needs to be discussed. If it was poor value for money, people wouldn't buy it.

As for the set, I think it looks great. I think it's a nice collection of models and as somebody mentioned above, each of the Grand Alliances have been in a box set now. I would suggest, if I was to improve it, I would like to see some terrain with it but I think it's a good set if you collect either of those armies. Plus point is that we will be seeing a Slyvaneth battletome soon as well

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1