Let's Chat: Ylthari's Guardians

riddlesworth

8 hours ago, belly318 said:

Thoughts on Tethered Spirit instead of Sudden Growth for Ylthari?

50/50 roll vs 5 wounds - Sudden Growth should be good for 2 attacks unless its Mollog or a big damage spike.

I chose Duel because it helps with Lithe Spirits, and card draw is always great. Given the high amount of score immediately, i'm not worried about the extra upgrades at all. 

I'd be interested to see the draw consistency of 22 with Duel vs 20 without Duel. Scoring Lithe Spirits might push it over the edge for me tbf. And that's a fair point on Upgrades. You should be able to empty your hand pretty efficiently with a continual flow of Glory.

Another card I was keen to try is Blessing of Hydragos. It will allow Ylthari to shoot 'n' scoot when needed and help keep her safe - i've just got to have a successful attack. Perhaps Sudden Growth works better than Tethered Spirit in combo with that.

Hydragos is amazing when it works. Duellists Speed is very good and always works. YMMV

The biggest issue i've found is keeping Ylthari alive to score the objectives she needs to. With 3 objectives, 5 ploys and 4 upgrades being intended for her - it's close to an all-in strategy.

It's not as bad as Eyes, Skellies or Orcs where if your leader gets slotted the warband falls apart, but if you build a spellcasting based objective or power deck and Ylthari goes early, you're up the creek without the proverbial paddle

I like Amphora. Without it, you only have Healing Potion to inspire Skathael, assuming you're able to draw it. As both Leech and crit only work for Ylthari.

Amphora is just another option, but has the caveat that they be adjacent to Gallaghan. Even if you use the potion on Skathael early game, you've got Amphora for Gallaghan, and as he's the one bloke who's least likely to be 1-shotted - it's useful for him to heal with even if he gains very little from being inspired.

To be honest, i've not seen a huge need to push for Ylthari to inspire early. Leech should be held for whenever you have Scorcher earth in hand (unless you also have Unmaking in hand), and she's likely to inspire herself when casting. I think out of the 15 games i've played, I used healing potion on her once to inspire. 

So, my logic here is Gallaghann NEVER needs to be inspired. Ylthari will inspire naturally so you don't need to worry about teching for it (you're taking leech power for the objective removal. the inspiration is a nice bonus). Which leaves Ahnslaine and Skathael. Skathael you'll want inspired against any of the 4 health, shield defence warbands because he can get to 1 shot territory with a single upgrade. Ahnslaine........is a bit of a danglebro for me? Great against goblins with the reaction and low health models. Can do some work against Profiteers as you outrange them and set up kills for Gallaghann. Which means only 1 inspiration you really need to tech for. Healing Potion does that just fine - it's basically Inspiration Strikes at that point. And if you're running 20 cards, you're likely to see Healing Potion.

Healing on Gallaghann if you're relying on him to do work is a solid argument for Healing Amphora, but space is tight. I think it moves to the bubble depending on meta. There's a reason no-one really took healing cards beyond the first wave of expansions - and that lethality, while lessened by the BAR list, is still there. With the amount of good objectives out there, there's more restricted space for trap, pit trap, ttk etc. Not to mention Great Strength and Gloryseeker in every damn deck.

Here's my logic: it is pitifully easy for fighters to get to 3 damage, most warbands either start with or have someone who inspires to 3 damage. Gallaghann gets hit with a 3 damage attack, has 1 wound left. Healing Amphora will not save him from that second attack, to say nothing of the old faithful Charge -> Ready for Action combo. If we assume a wound upgrade on Gallaghann, then he survives the second attack, but a single upgrade on Magore, Gurzag, Riptooth, Tefk, Vol, Kcharrik etc. puts us back in the same situation. EVEN if that wound upgrade is Sudden Growth, he's still at 2 hits to be killed against 4 damage attacks (6 -> 2 -> 4 -> 0). 

Wound upgrades, Defence upgrades, positioning and controlling the engagement are more important for Gallaghann than taking a valuable ploy spot for Healing that has minimal net gain against the warbands you want him to do work against (hard hitting fighters who will one shot the rest of your band). This is all opinion and theory obviously, but I've got my next set of games next Sunday (19th) and Sphere of Ghur is looking far more attractive than Healing Amphora.

Edited by riddlesworth
  • Like 1

Well I’ve locked in my deck to play an event this weekend; 

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N269,N268,N266,N265,348,N371,N309,N302,N365,N274,N388,N557,N276,N451,374,257,306,336,N272,391,330,N550,N503,N529,N340,N282,320,N454,372,N480,N543,424,N476,272

I went with both Sudden Growth and Tethered Spirit, which means losing awakened weapon.

I only had space for Hydragos in the end. It should be a very useful card against the Profiteers, who have been the warband I’ve struggled most against before.

I’ll keep an eye on how Amphora performs. As I was running Life Surge previously, I wasn’t game to drop down to just healing potion.

The other loss from my previous deck is rebound. It was removed for Twist the Knife – which helps to consistently score a few objectives.

I’m not 100% with the deck, but there’s a Grand Clash coming up in a little over a month in my city that I’m working towards.

The other significant change was the removal of Change of Tactics for Master of War. I feel i've got enough score immediates there, and Change of Tactics always felt clunky and telegraphed without a card to put on guard. I've never been happy with using an activation to go on guard, (and then 'wasting' an activation with Ahnslaine making a plinky lil charge).

I considered Strong Start, Solid Gains, and a couple of others when I chose Master of War. 

Edited by belly318

8 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

Master of War is a staple in many deck for a reason. I don't think it's a bad swap other than increasing the chance of clogging your hand for victory after victory.

There is a chance of that happening - but it also counts for Victory after Victory which can help alleviate that problem as whatever other objective I draw becomes priority #1, then drawing into something else easy means the whole hand gets claimed.

• Like 1

Quick rundown on the event I went to this weekend with the aforementioned deck. Rounds were 1 and done.

Round 1 - Magores. I killed everything but lost by 1 glory. Ran out of ways to score once they were all dead. Lost Ylthari early to Magore Hidden Pathing into my backline, which cost me my chance at most of the passive glory. 

Round 2 - Cursebreakers. Easy game, not a great player.

Round 3 - Thundriks. I won by 5 glory or so. Not much to mention, deck came out in the right order and I played well. Definitely think the guardians have to play more aggro against them. Previously i'd sat back thinking id win on passive glory, and it doesn't work.

Round 4 - Cursebreakers. Heavy spellcasting deck. He rolled terrible and his hand got locked up with objectives. I managed to take them all out by early during the 3rd round. Skathael got on a roll. Big win to me.

Round 5 - Thundriks. Very good player who i'd never beaten. Used the lessons learnt in my previous game against the dwarves and was more aggressive than i'd been in the past. I won 20-14, after I had 7 upgrades on Ylthari (Tethered Spirit, Sudden Growth, Well of Power, Archers Focus, Tome of Offerings, Blessing of Hydragos and Gloryseeker). Once tooled up she just jumped around blasting dwarves for 2 glory per shot. I've found that taking out Drakkskewer early is pretty important for this matchup.

Round 6 - Thundriks. The Katophrane deck. I went defensive and it cost me. Couldn't cycle my hand and got punked. I'd tech against Katophranes, but there's only 1 guy who runs them in my area. 

So deck performed well, will make a few tweaks for the next event.

So you went 4-2? Very nice!

How did you find Healing Amphora? How often did you score Death from Afar?

I see John Rees won a tournament with Guardians at Warhanner Fest. His deck is interesting - advancing strike being the most interesting choice.

I find it interesting that no-one seems to be running curse of the dwindling. While you need Welm of Power and an innate in your upgrade deck to make it consistent, it's such a killer spell vs mollog, magore and stormsire (all warbands I consider to be a rough matchup).

Edited by riddlesworth

2 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

I see John Rees won a tournament with Guardians at Warhanner Fest. His deck is interesting - advancing strike being the most interesting choice.

Advancing strike is probably easier to score  than Death from afar. Both require a degree of aggression.  As @belly318 pointed out you have to be more aggressive to score either along with Swift Strike and Sorcerous Scouring if the opponent  is defensive.

My reaction to this circumstance was to look at objectives that dont need me to be. I think both options are valid for the Guardians as they can take the fight to the enemy.  It depends on your personal preference. John likes to take the battle to his opponent.

11 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

So you went 4-2? Very nice!

How did you find Healing Amphora? How often did you score Death from Afar?

Yeah, i was pretty happy with it - i'm starting to lock my deck in for Grand Clash in my city and i'm quite happy with it.

Amphora was useful. Of the 6 games, I didn't draw it at least twice. I inspired Skathael with it twice, healed Gallaghan once, and inspired Gallaghan once (end of round - better than discarding it). I would kill for a single channel heal to take it's place. If I went with dwindling (and Vytrix) i'd look at including the double channel heal spell.

Death from afar is the hardest score immediately there. I usually end up scoring it with the 1 damage spells. It can be tough to set up (have ylthari in range, have gallaghan/skathael charge someone to 1 wound left). But it combo's with sorcerous scouring - and when you consider the ways I have to score that - it's essentially the same objective, but Anhslaine can score it too. 

I've had zero issues in playing against Cursebreakers. I did lose to a very defensive cursebreaker deck - but it was close and I definitely could have won it. 

That Guardian deck is definitely different, with some very interesting choices. Sphere of Chamon? No healing potion? Edit - wait, different deck i was looking at. This won 2nd at a Russian GT

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,270,N266,N269,N340,306,N265,N270,N365,N262,N268,N302,275,324,356,321,343,N274,348,N429,N388,N465,N453,N279,410,L56,N282,N290,N485,N500,N499,N501,384,N557,374

Edited by belly318

Got some reps in over the weekend with the mirror match and against profiteers. Some observations and deck tweaks

- you have to play aggro into Profiteers. If they get rolling with a couple of early score immediately cards, they are a pain to put down. Getting rid of the balloon boy early gives you a great advantage.

- tip from John rees: everyone is running gloryseeker. Single wound upgrades on Ylthari, Skathael or Ahnslaine are a zero gain because it activates gloryseeker. Saw it in action this weekend. He's got a point

- lithe spirits can be a hand clogger if you you're overly reliant on crits. On the flipside, potion of rage into ready for action scores it in a single power step and so is probably more valuable than awakened weapon.

- the warband can still do work without ylthari but losing her early is a nightmare if you've loaded up your deck with gambit spells.

- keep them guessing is great in the first hand. It sucks in the third.

- I was wrong about healing amphora. The inspire condition sucks if I want to throw skathael at something early and healing potion doesnt make an appearance so having the extra card to inspire makes a hell of a difference. Helps aggressive gallaghann too

- curse of the dwindling. Killer spell. Tips the mollog matchup heavily in your favour. By God is it a pain in the ass to cast it when you need it. I dont know that you can win the mollog matchup without it though. And the magores matchup becomes super tricky

Tweaked deck is far far more aggressice:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N265,N266,N268,N269,348,N276,N388,N389,N451,N274,330,N557,N282,N290,N506,N503,N365,N302,374,N529,291,257,N371,306,N499,N272,N493,N485,N436,243,273,N454

We're very quickly going to start playing the exact same deck.

I like Twist the Knife instead of the traps. mainly because it helps with Strike Swiftly.

Another card I don't like is Warding Stance. I much prefer Trusted Defender/Champions Fortitude. +1 dice is functionally the same as rerolling one - unless you rolled two successes (and needed three). But it can be applied to any fighter.  I don't get why people are including it - is there something i'm missing?

Another question, does Withering count for Sorcerous Scouring? It's wording makes me question it.

I smooth out the Lithe Spirits RNG with cards like Duel of Wits, Last Chance, Duelists Speed, Potion of Rage and Tethered Spirit. Reactions are so easy to find, and they're some of the better cards. Lithe Spirits is an auto include

6 hours ago, belly318 said:

Another card I don't like is Warding Stance. I much prefer Trusted Defender/Champions Fortitude. +1 dice is functionally the same as rerolling one - unless you rolled two successes (and needed three). But it can be applied to any fighter.  I don't get why people are including it - is there something i'm missing?

Another question, does Withering count for Sorcerous Scouring? It's wording makes me question it.

Crits. More chance of crits with 3 dice and you never have to think about whether to reroll a shield. 

Withering doesn't count. It's covered in the FAQ. 

To go back to @riddlesworths comments, I've been playing a few games against Mollog and it is a tough match up. There are a few things I learnt. If I loose the board choice I will pick Soul Refractor even though it doesn't have a lethal hex. Its a necessary sacrifice. I will set up with Ahnslaine forward and Ghallanghan on the opposite edge. Ythari and Skhathael as far back as possible. Ahnslaine is the sacrificial lamb. I also ended up running Hidden Paths and Sphere of Uglu.  These two can keep Ylthari alive in many other circumstances which helps address your issue about about the problems of running spell heavy. You also need to be prepared to mulligan that first hand if you dont have some escape cards in hand. 

11 hours ago, belly318 said:

We're very quickly going to start playing the exact same deck.

I like Twist the Knife instead of the traps. mainly because it helps with Strike Swiftly.

I smooth out the Lithe Spirits RNG with cards like Duel of Wits, Last Chance, Duelists Speed, Potion of Rage and Tethered Spirit. Reactions are so easy to find, and they're some of the better cards. Lithe Spirits is an auto include

TTK is great. I prefer trap because everyone can use it. Yes, doesn't combo with Swift Strike but does score masterstroke. Swings and roundabouts.

Warding Stance over the re-rolls is math. Stephen Vann from Call It Shadespire did it a summary but in general, more dice > rerolls. Same thing with acrobatic. It's even better with gallaghann because of the reaction.

Withering doesnt count. It's in the FAQ.

Agreed on gambit/upgrade reactions. Potion of rage -> ready for action is my current favourite way to score Lithe Spirits in a single power step

4 hours ago, Skellisquad said:

To go back to @riddlesworths comments, I've been playing a few games against Mollog and it is a tough match up. There are a few things I learnt. If I loose the board choice I will pick Soul Refractor even though it doesn't have a lethal hex. Its a necessary sacrifice. I will set up with Ahnslaine forward and Ghallanghan on the opposite edge. Ythari and Skhathael as far back as possible. Ahnslaine is the sacrificial lamb. I also ended up running Hidden Paths and Sphere of Uglu.  These two can keep Ylthari alive in many other circumstances which helps address your issue about about the problems of running spell heavy. You also need to be prepared to mulligan that first hand if you dont have some escape cards in hand. 

.Sphere of Uglu is a solid alternative to Dwindling. Even handicapping Mollog for 1 turn is worth something.

Hidden paths I dont have right now but if I went to 22 cards, it would make the cut, and would do so over Last Chance. I'm risking the protection of Ylthari on positioning over holding the card until I need it. Time may well prove me wrong

I played a small little event last night to experiment with my deck for an upcoming Grand Clash.

I tried out Curse of Dwindling, and I wont be bothering with it again. I played Fiends, Guardians, Gitz, Cursebreakers - and it wasn't needed in any game. It's a card you need to get out early for full impact, and it's hard to get out early due to it requiring at least one (of two) upgrades to cast somewhat reliably.

Does anyone have some tips on how to play the Magore matchup? I compete well against other warbands (havn't played against Mollog yet though), but Magore just tears through the squishy elves. My deck needs to start aggresive to get going, but I find it hard to commit against a choppy aggro warband that benefits more from combat than I do. Any ideas?

I'm finding the Cursebreaker matchup to be quite good, which says a lot about the warband's strengths. 

I did lose a game to the Gitz. While I won on the board with kills and I claimed 11/12 objective cards -  he still won. Mostly due to Superior tactician and a couple of final turn keys. 

I'll be putting Masterstroke in the deck. I had Master of War - but then I realised gambit spells are NOT ploys. So i'd be hamstringing myself by including 4 spells.

Due to Masterstroke, I put rebound back in, and turned TTK into Trap. Between Ready for Action, Rebound, Trap and the fighter reactions, it should be enough I think. Rebound should be good for the Magore matchup too. 

Edited by belly318

5 hours ago, PJetski said:

The Mollog matchup is so terrible for Ylthari that I have abandoned playing them.

It's not impossible to win by any means, but I don't like the idea of a game where both players flip coins until somebody wins.

It feels like you have to tech heavily for it which hampers your flexibility against other warbands.

Having said that, I want to get more reps in with the matchup til I cave.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up placing 4th at a Grand Clash over the weekend. Deck did well, I think I played quite well - and I had a good draw in warbands/players I was up against.

Decklist is here; https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N269,N268,N266,N265,348,N371,N302,N365,N274,N388,N557,N451,374,257,306,336,391,330,N550,N529,N340,N543,N309,424,N272,N276,320,N290,349,N527,N476,N503,272,372

Round 1 - Kharadrons - I don't recall too much of the games, but I won 2-0, with +11 glory.  Deck performed well and my new approach of playing aggro against them served me well.

Round 2 - Orruks - 2-0, +11 glory again! Very young player, who was actually pretty good. I chose boards in both games, so that helped me set up in an easy way. 

Round 3 - Kharadrons (Katophrane Deck) 0-2, -24 glory. I almost had the first game, only going down by 3 glory after he just managed to get 6 relics up with 2 activations left. Very close to snagging a win in that one. I had 8 glory at the end of Round 1. In game 2, he got a good draw an steamrolled me with glory. I didn't lose too badly by comparison, as he'd been scoring very highly and ended up with +98 glory differential. I'd tech against it, but he's the only person playing katophranes in our area.

Round 4 - Briar Queen. 2-0, +23 glory. Deck played fantastically in this matchup. There's just so many squishy fighters to score my score immediates off of. Gallaghan with Tome of Offerings scored me 8 glory by himself in game one. Game two was closer, but I churned through all of my objectives by early in round 3. 

Round 5 - Eyes of the 9, 2-1 +6 glory. Rubbish warband, very skilled player. The horror was a pain to deal with as I found out that you can't knockback when he turns to brimstones. My burning of objectives worked well as he was running supremacy and two Tactical objectives. I lost the first game, but came back solid in the final two. My dice were kinda ass for a decent portion of this round too, but it didn't matter.

So yeah, scored myself some cool loot by sneaking into 4th place. Brair Queen won, Ylthari's guardians in 2nd, Katophrane dwarves in 3rd. 

I definitely would have made some changes to my deck in hindsight. I played Rebound once all day, and it didn't go off. With Tethered Spirit and Last Chance, it probably isn't needed (as I can't use it if I use those instead). Twist the Knife can be taken out, as only Ylthari and Skathael can use it (requires a range 1 attack).

I'd look to bring in Haymaker, and maybe Frozen in time. It may have given me a chance against the Kharadrons. Objective deck worked well, and I wouldn't change a thing. Dropping Twist does free up a restricted slot. 

In most games I cycled through all of my objectives. Yeah, it's only 16 glory, but I seem to find that it's enough.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 10:31 AM, belly318 said:

I ended up placing 4th at a Grand Clash over the weekend. Deck did well, I think I played quite well - and I had a good draw in warbands/players I was up against.

Decklist is here; https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N269,N268,N266,N265,348,N371,N302,N365,N274,N388,N557,N451,374,257,306,336,391,330,N550,N529,N340,N543,N309,424,N272,N276,320,N290,349,N527,N476,N503,272,372

Hey mate congrats! I take it this was at the Objective Secured SHO GC? I'd love to add your deck to the tournaments page on underworldsdb if you don't mind?

To help keep this on topic too, I took a Ylthari deck to a local tournament 2 weeks ago and was the only player to end the day 4-0. I invested pretty heavily into Ylthari herself which can be risky, but still managed to pull a draw in the game where she was assassinated early.

I found 16 Glory was enough here, but each of my games were pretty close. Tome of Offerings probably would have been a good idea in hindsight.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N265,N266,N268,N271,N274,257,243,N389,N388,N365,N503,374,N557,N302,348,N476,306,N269,N309,N451,N371,N305,N473,336,330,N467,N485,384,424,N290,N499,331,320,N493

Congrats on the placing chaps! This is the first time I've seen restricted slots spent on tethered spirit. I'm guessing that's because of the investment in ylthari?

One thing I have been noticing recently is scorched earth presents a unique problem. I never fail to score it, because I have leech power and unmaking in my deck. The problem with that is after scorched earth is scored, one of unmaking or leech power (the one I didn't use to score the objective) is effectively a dead card. Theres some synergy with reclaim the lamentiri but smart objective placement makes that card easier to score anyway - worse case it's 3 objectives on my side against an aggro player. Freeing up 2 gambit slots is pretty powerful

Are they though?

Unmaking can score, or help score quite a few common objectives - Song of Hatred, Lithe Spirits, Reclaim the Lamentiri.

It also has a chance on inspiring Ylthari. Leech Power still inspires Ylthari, and heals her. 

I get what you're saying though. The Guardians feel quite pressed for gambit slots because of the required healing potion + amphora and those two gambits. 

You're right, Tethered was almost solely to keep Ylthari alive. It also seemed to work a bit to discourage people to attack her, and assists with Lithe Spirits (although i've never had issues scoring it).

Edited by belly318

Congrats on the result. I was  less fortunate at the UKGE GC. Lack of playing time before the GC really showed. I was fine playing my deck but less good at adjusting to my opponents. I only played one healing card (Empathic Exchange) and rarely felt the need to inspire if I didn't see it. After reading some comments from the eventual winner I dropped it for a store championship the next day. Have to say playing with no healing and a strong gambit is fine. Ylthari pretty much always inspires just from spells. I don't run Leech Power or Scorched Earth. I lost the final to Cursebreakers but in retrospect made several crucial errors. 

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N265,N268,N302,N557,N503,N340,N499,N458,374,N276,N451,N371,331,348,N430,N454,N529,N370,N266,N388,N527,324,257,433,N486,N290,235,N543,291,N269,N357,N467

@Skellisquad interested to hear what you think your errors were.

As people are getting used to playing against guardians, I'm seeing a lot of people keying off on Ylthari early. Be that by cheeky hidden paths, spectral wings riptooth, easy score immediately into faneway crystal and so on.

I've been pulling back on gambit spells for this reason, so I'm not completely up the creek without a paddle if I do lose ylthari early. 

Starting to get some consistency out of this deck. Still dont like keep them guessing but until it becomes a serious hindrance and I bite the bullet on something like shining example, I'll keep it in. Alone in the Darkness has actually been a fairly consistent score against everyone except skellies, thorns and goblins. Even thorns I'm able to use drive backs to make it happen. Later game it's an easy score

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N265,N266,N268,N269,348,N389,N451,330,291,257,243,N309,N271,N371,N276,336,235,331,361,327,272,N557,N529,N482,374,N290,N506,N503,N499,N485,N527,N550,320,N340

I've been playing Ylthari since I started ~a month ago and have been trying to dial in on a build. Currently I've been trying this:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N269,N302,N272,N557,330,333,N262,N301,N290,N274,N266,N365,N388,N529,L24,N319,N265,348,420,424,381,N340,N499,N527,327,349,243,N309,354,N276,374,N550

Tries to bypass Gloryseeker by never bumping Wounds (and can even drop Gallanghann to 3) as it seems an autoinclude in most local decks. LOTS of Zarbags and Cursebreakers, smattering of most other things. Not in love with the Objective deck, it can have some pretty rough openers if you aren't firing on all cylinders. I need to get Challenge Seeker and maybe Glory Seeker in here to increase my offensive output, probably drop Cursed Artefact as it's more cute than good? I'm also thinking of getting Tome of Glories in here just to put on Ahnslaine as she just tends to sit on an objective in my half and do nothing unless someone goes deep or shes the only one left. Anyone have any experience with making her a glorybot?