Tactics chat - formations!

Overread

Time for some tactical chatter and this time lets look at formations of models on the table! I'd like to open up and hear about what formations you've used, when, how why and what went well and what went poorly for you. Whilst the game might not have movement trays and the like there are benefits and downfalls to how you choose to organise your models within your units, even (where you have things like banners, leaders and musicians) when it comes to where specific models are within the unit.

Many times the table might limit you on how you can deploy things and teh terrain might force you to certain formations or positions that might present challenges; other times you might have a more open area and have to consider how best to keep your units together and approaching the enemy. 

Some early thoughts:

1) "Fully within" is a common term with many bonus abilities and being "fully within" range of another unit (eg a hero) can mean that you've go to bunch up. Running a long thin string of models to occupy a large area won't work if your aura buffs can't cover the whole unit. 

2) Long lines can snap - keep an eye on your unit formation so that you don't end up running a thin string or having blocks that are isolated from each other very easily by the opponent sniping/removing models between. Otherwise you could well end up losing a lot more models because of how you've left them in distinct halves that can be separated. 

3) Block formations can make it easier to move larger blocks of troops. You move the front row and one "side" of the block and the rest can be fast moved (no measuring) right behind and within that setup. It can make it a lot easier and quicker to move a hoard army where you might have two or three blocks of 30 troops - or more.

• Like 1

Looking forward to read what this topic will bring

First example that came to my mind was from a game I played with my FEC vs Ironjaws with alpha-striking gore gruntas, I knew he's going to take first turn, so I put my Gristlegore general right onto objective and 10 ghouls behind him on the fringe of control zone, so even if gruntas haven't killed themselves by charging my general - I'd still have numbers to contest.
More common for me is just screening with ghouls and counter-charging with KNIGHT and monsters which entirely depends on the table and terrain set up.
I guess setting a killy unit of anything behind a unit of chaff with bases small enough for killy unit to strike at opponent from relative safety is also worth mentioning.

Aaand thats that for my FEC tacticoolness 

Will post some more if anything will come to mind

• Like 1

Not so much a fromation thing, but in my last game, the SCE opponent dropped a knight heraldor behind my lines, and used its ability that makes terrain do mortal wounds to nearby units. Said terrain piece was within range of about 9 of my 11 units.  It hurt. I had placed my units to block landing of units consisting of several models, but not a units that was only a single model. Ouch. And then my verminlord had to go back there and kill it, which basically cost one turn of movment in, and a second turn back to it's starting position :/
So I'll be more wary of placement around a signle piece of terrain next time. 

Great idea :) I love discussing formations! 

I've had a lot of success with a variation on the commonly seen (but not neccesarily commonly used) "Two lines of chaff with elite units with longer reach on the third line" approach :) What I tend to do instead, where I either have a lack of such a secondary unit, or have sent it elsewhere, is to put a small "Elite monster" type of unit just slightly behind the front chaff line, just within 3" of their front in a position I'm expecting to get hit, and then remove casualties from the second line to allow the monstrous elite unit to pile in properly and strike above them. Works best with 25mm front lines, but I'm sure 32mm could work in some cases. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it has served me well, so worth sharing.

I'll illustrate below with what tends to serve as my center. 

(G) = Grot
(R) = Rockgut Troggoth
(T) = Troggboss

(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)

(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)(G)

(G)(G)     (R)  (R)  (R)                                    (   T   )                              ( R )   ( R )    ( R  )  (G)(G)

It works very well in tandem with the grot nets, which will be lined every second or every third grot along the front line, and one or two on either flank, but I'm sure other factions can replicate, or even surpass it's efficiency. (Mind that Rockgut Troggoths have a 2" range on their weapons, but this approach would also work with 1" range as long as you can remove that second line in front of them as a casualty so that they can pile in properly. 2" range makes it less prone to failure) -- It's a tried and true concept. I ran it for a 5/0 performance during a recent GT, where it got slammed by quite a few heavy hitters (although no DoK, so how much of an upper-end damage output it can handle remains to be seen)

It's a very straight forward way to employ forces, so it has a weakness in that the opponent doesn't have to figure out what exactly you're planning to do, since it's clear you're either going to stay put, or march forward in formation -- but it's very hard to crack open, and if you have a few skirmishing units (i.e: high movement units) with either enough punch or flexibility to seriously threaten their flank, it'll be a tough army to overcome. I personally ran 10x/5x/5x Boingrot Bounderz on the side accompanied by a Loonboss on Cave Squig as my flanking units, holding my own side objectives and rushing forward to grab theirs if they showed an opening while the core (pictured above) marched forward and spread it's control. 

As a sidenote, a Free People army trying to keep all of its buffs and synergies going is forced to march forward in perfect formation, or cripple itself (and be open to attack) - it is an awesome sight to behold, but I hope they get to be a bit more loose in the future :P

• Like 2

So glad you brought this up because Daughters of Khaine is all about getting your ladies into formation.

• Within 7" of the General for Hagg Narr 5+
  • Within 14" of the General to use Orgy of Slaughter
  • Within 3"of the Hag Queen to give ****** Brew
  • Within 7" of the Cauldron for +1 Bravery
  • Wholly within 18" of the Cauldron for Blood Shield +1 Save
  • Within 14" of ALL Queens to benefit from the Prayers
  • Within 8" of a Hero for Witches to get +1 Attack

Just be mindful to keep your Witch Aelves in distance by toga lining back to the Cauldron General and Hag Queen after they have charged.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gronnelg said:

@MaypleThings that don't rely of surpise to work well are definitely my taste of trick.

So the strength of this formation is basically that it bublewraps a hammer unit, and that formatio can be moved to where you need it?

Precisely :) In my own Grot variation of it (with the Troggboss), i mostly used it to guarantee my Troggboss general's survival, as he was equipped with loonskin, and was generating extra command points every turn. It didn't hurt that he was already really tanky, and practically a hammer unit on his own. He can be replaced by a non-hero for the purposes of the formation as long as you still have a way to work around battleshock reliably :)

edit:

I think I know what you mean with "moved where you need it", but for the sake of clarity: It can move where needed in the center area of the map. That is to say, don't use it as a flanking element of your army. You'll need other stuff on the right and left side. If that is accomplished, you'll probably move no more than once or twice.

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 1