Was the Malign Portent Herald release strategy a good idea or bad?

So we're a good number of Battletomes into 2.0 and it has become quite clear that there are 2 types of releases, Herald armies from Malign Portents and armies without a Herald.

Herald armies get the big model updates, while the non-herald armies primarily only get endless spells and terrain and maybe a model here or there like with Carrion Empire. Slaanesh is an edge case with a decent model update but because it's also 40k compatible daemons.

Now I'm not ignorant of how model releases work, I know that plastic is notoriously expensive to make. Not just for the molds, but for the entire design process. And the rate that GW pumps these things out, regardless if its for AoS, 40k , Necromunda, Adeptus Titanicus, and so on, I think from a economics point of view it does make some sense for a compromise (I mean there plenty of models from 3rd edition 40k and 6th edition fantasy still being used).

However do you think the Herald strategy has been too much of a compromise with the growing unrest from people hungry for expanded armies? And after the final Herald army is released, will the floodgates open for all the other armies or do you think there will be a decent number of battletomes without significant model updates?

I think it’s been fine. I’m not as mad about armies getting updated rules without new units. I love the endless spells and terrain though. I also remember living in a world where you may get an army book every few years or you may not. 

I guess my my biggest problem with the complaints is that GW can only make so many models. That’s just a fact of life. Is it really bad that they’re updating books to be contemporary instead of only when there are models to release? 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

I don't know about the herald release theory stuff. 

That said I'm sure that most armies won't get a big update. GW has limited resources and whilst they'd surely love to do it, they simply cannot do a big release for a huge number of armies in a row. Lets not forget they are already releasing a LOT of models every week almost, across their whole range of games. Indeed I'd say that they are currently putting out more models than any other company running on regular income (ergo not using a big kickstarter booster). Id' say the only other company coming close to the release rate would be Reaper Miniatures.

GW is on a powerful roll, but they can't do everything in a year and the moulds are insanely expensive as well. Even without a choked production line; even without GW having issues providing enough stock for current sales; the simple economics would mean that they'd likely not even have the capital all in one go to invest on that kind of scale for more regular massive releases. Plus even if they did they might want to be cautious and not over-invest to the point where they end up front-heavy. Already in their financial report they note that they are realising a lot of very heavy investment projects coming to market this year. So already at this rate they are concerned that its been a very heavy investment year. 

I think many are finding it hard to shake the old "new tome/codex = new massive model update/release wave" mindset that GW fostered for quite a few editions in the past. And that's fair because that is how GW used to do it. That siad there were months between releases back then and armies could miss out whole editions waiting for their turn. How it is now is far better, we are getting models at a far faster rate, tomes and rules faster still. 

Also with rules in the box, online resources and an active community system they can very easily get new rules out when they release things without a new tome. They've done it many times before now. So there's no reason to think that a new Tome this year doesn't mean that you wont' get models next year. 

Edited by Overread
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, novakai said:

i would probably hold off on this theory until more of the Nightvault warband armies get their battletome especially with the Sylvaneath and their bow revanent thing

i think the Fyreslayers battletome that just came out confirms that Underworlds models dont nessarily mean anything in regards to future releases. The Chosen Axes have a Vulkite Berzerker with a 2-handed axe however we didnt get that as a unit in the new book

4 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

i think the Fyreslayers battletome that just came out confirms that Underworlds models dont nessarily mean anything in regards to future releases. The Chosen Axes have a Vulkite Berzerker with a 2-handed axe however we didnt get that as a unit in the new book

Chosen axes where a shadespire warband, I am talking specifically about Nightvault releases since  Sylvaneath may also be getting a new model from Looncurse, it possible that Sylvaneath may be bit tied to the Nightvault warband release like Gitz where unlike Fyreslayers

see thats interesting that people think the Nightvault releases mean anything towards main aos more than Shadespire, considering (apperently) the shadespire models were originally designed as aos releases but turned into a side game instead. by comparison, Nightvault models will have been designed specifically for underworlds

Daughters and Idoneth were post-Herald, but pre-2.0.

The Slaanesh release was foretold by the great prophecy of each Chaos God getting its “year” for releases. Blessed be GW for not squatting the great Prince.

As for the rest: Skaven and Beasts needed reunification (all of these factions were horde armies that were too small as individual factions to be on their own), FEC have pretty much everything they needed (according to FEC players), and probably so do Fyreslayers (Personally, I would have liked one more unit for the Leader heavy army with an awesome model range, but that’s me).

And then there’s Khorne, who has had more releases than any army not named Stormcast.

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with it because it builds online speculation (much like the Nightvault release does), and gives us all something else to gossip about.

12 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

As for the rest: Skaven and Beasts needed reunification

To be fair GG was also a unification, but due to herald army status it got a huge update including making previously metal/resin models plastic (though still have  few classics sticking around)

Basically I'd predict outside of another VS box (like sylvaneth), any other army that would to be updated right now would not receive a new AoS specific model (whether completely new or plastic version of old metal/resin)  other than terrain/spells. So for example if Serpahon were to drop next week, there would still be the original slaan and kroxigors, etc. Yes Slaanesh got their lovely update, but I was not surprised they got 0 new Mortals since the daemon thing is 2 birds with one stone....or 2 games with one model release.

I mean I'm not saying these releases have been bad, many like FEC have been great rule jumps. But it does seem pretty obvious many people were hoping for model overhauls. I mean someone made an entire topic about "Hey these classic Skaven models may get OOP"! And now you have people scourging ebay for Warplock Jezzails assuming they dont want to convert.

(I still wonder how many new units would now exist if it wasn't for A. Chapter House Controversy and B. Stopped producing metal/resin.)

I admit I didn't know about the Underworlds theory namely since the Skaven Warband came out so long ago. Though funny that NH got a completely unique leader through that.

And dont get me wrong, I'm the guy saying "hey plastic is expensive yo!"

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Basically I'd predict outside of another VS box (like sylvaneth), any other army that would to be updated right now would not receive a new AoS specific model (whether completely new or plastic version of old metal/resin)  other than terrain/spells. So for example if Serpahon were to drop next week, there would still be the original slaan and kroxigors, etc. Yes Slaanesh got their lovely update, but I was not surprised they got 0 new Mortals since the daemon thing is 2 birds with one stone....or 2 games with one model release.

well with Khorne, they did get 2 new resculpt model without a versus box (granted he did have a versus box with Slaanesh but that for the flesh hounds and Karanak). it could just be that Khrone like Slaanesh got the double game release bias. Fyreslayer may have just gotten unlucky with no models outside of them rereleasing the Doomseeker witch has been gone from the store for while before the release.

if Tzeentch BT was release I would not be surprise that they actually get a daemon character re-scupted for their release as well.

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

I admit I didn't know about the Underworlds theory namely since the Skaven Warband came out so long ago. Though funny that NH got a completely unique leader through that.

It seem that they are more on the nose about putting warband warscrolls in the battletome these day, I not sure if the Gitz release was delayed so they could time Mollogs release with the book releasing. granted it could just be that Nightvault just conveniently choice all 4 herald armies to get a warband and it not indicator that the other one will get model releases, but at least with Sylvaneath case there maybe a model for them when they release Looncurse and maybe bow revenant is hint of something.

I think it was a great strategy. I like their new approach a lot. I think new tomes stimulate purachasing nearly as much as models, and without quite as much overhead from GW in terms of production (books are much more commonly made than plastic minis.) People get more updated rules. Plus people know what to look forward to in terms of purchases

I think Age of Sigmar is in a good place right now. Several armies will get "small" updates, one or two will get overhauled and we'll see brand new armies.

The biggest "missing" armies right now are Free People, Some kind of Aelves and the Darkoath.

The Darkoath feel the most finished, and judging by Warcry's theme, they obviously had a lot more ideas than they could easily use.

Free People are surprisingly quiet, I'd have expected *something* by now. Maybe we'll get an Order of Azyr army book instead?

Aelves seem obvious where they are going and the return of Slaanesh bodes well for a release in the near future

Personally i really don't think think every single book release needs a bunch of new models with it. Some rangers are all ready very established and I'd rather see books be brought in line with other books and just get a model, 3 spells and a terrain piece then not get a update for a year because every one is waiting for a whole new range of models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AaronWilson said:

Personally i really don't think think every single book release needs a bunch of new models with it. Some rangers are all ready very established and I'd rather see books be brought in line with other books and just get a model, 3 spells and a terrain piece then not get a update for a year because every one is waiting for a whole new range of models.

Yeah same hier.

I mean there are armies out there which got updated like hell in the old world.

Only thing missing for such factions is a book, making them playable again and a few more models like scenery and endless spells, and they would be good to go.