Battleplan Strategies (Three Places of Power)

Objective

There are three objectives spread across the middle.  Control is the first hero to arrive within 3".  Control can only change if you kill the hero that captured it - you can't take it by having more heroes nearby.  You score points at the end of your turn based on how long you have held the objective : 1 for 1 turn, 2 for 2 turns, etc.

Paper, Scissors, Rock (Strong, Stronger, Strongest)

Fast board control, Artillery, Heroes! (duh)

Heroes are the only path to victory so blocking them is the next best thing!  Get units over objectives especially if they have slow heroes.  If you can't get there fast then shoot all the heroes - gun lines should do pretty well assuming they can keep their own heroes alive.  And of course make sure to have at least two heroes or else you'll be chasing theirs.

Strategy

Don't commit your heroes to be in range of missile weapons right away.  Try to push into their territory to give yourself a buffer and let them over commit their heroes.  Make sure you have elements in your army that can work well without heroes.  Taking high point heroes may provide you durability (for a while), but they'll be stuck holding objectives.  If you took Nagash, Alarielle, etc -- go for their heroes and ignore objectives, but beware other heroes sneaking to the other side of the map.  You can cycle heroes in and out to maintain control and allow wounded heroes to "rest".  Block as much as you can with durable units to prevent them from attacking heroes directly or failing that keep them out of 3".  If they can't break the bubble that turn then they can't score.  

Imortant to note. I believe monster heros can also claim objectives??? So beastclaw raiders, VLoZD, GKo ZD/T, Stardrake, etc will be big money here. 

Note i also believe it's how it is worded. The way i Read it you only control the objective at the end of your move if your the first there, otherwise the other player gets control. The only way to take control that turn is if your hero personally slays the enemy hero.

What this means is. If i drop my hero on the objective, and you kill him with your hordes of minions. You can't take control of the objective until the end of your next movement phase. This means you need killy heros. You can't just remove the enemy hero, you have to kill him with your hero or lose a whole turn of points, which is basicly 2 points you can lose. 

20 hours ago, mmimzie said:

Imortant to note. I believe monster heros can also claim objectives??? So beastclaw raiders, VLoZD, GKo ZD/T, Stardrake, etc will be big money here. 

Note i also believe it's how it is worded. The way i Read it you only control the objective at the end of your move if your the first there, otherwise the other player gets control. The only way to take control that turn is if your hero personally slays the enemy hero.

What this means is. If i drop my hero on the objective, and you kill him with your hordes of minions. You can't take control of the objective until the end of your next movement phase. This means you need killy heros. You can't just remove the enemy hero, you have to kill him with your hero or lose a whole turn of points, which is basicly 2 points you can lose. 

Yea absolutely on monster heroes, but they usually cost a ton of points.  Ogres have the best of both worlds, currently.

You are right on the control part, but you personally score only when your hero is also present.  So as long as he was there your turn and lost the next you can still score and the opponent won't gain control.

• 5 months later...
32 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

Yeah, and even if you do it in combat you won't gain control yourself unless you're within 3" of the objective (e.g. if the controlling hero ran off). Pretty counterintuitive, not a fan of it.

Interesting. My mates and I were debating this and my interpretation was based around killing the hero would give you immediate control of the objective, or I could secure it in my moment phase it my hero is the only hero challenging within 3".

What's stopping a fast character from securing the objectives and run into back into the corner to hide. Weird if it's true. 

1 hour ago, MrCharisma said:

Interesting. My mates and I were debating this and my interpretation was based around killing the hero would give you immediate control of the objective, or I could secure it in my moment phase it my hero is the only hero challenging within 3".

What's stopping a fast character from securing the objectives and run into back into the corner to hide. Weird if it's true. 

I don't think that's how it works. To score points you need to control an objective. To control an objective hour hero must be within 3" at the end of your turn. 

There's no mention of the hero needing to be within 3" at the end of turn.

"A player controls the objective if, at the end of any move, a Hero from their army is within 3" of the objective. Only one hero can control each place of power at a time - if more than one is eligible, then the first to arrive controls it. If a Hero slays an enemy Hero controlling a place of power, then they immediately gain control of the place of power if they are within 3" of it."

It doesn't say anything about how a hero might lose control, besides being slain, so that's been interpreted as you being able to move off and control other PoP. The alternative would be that you have to essentially gain control of the objective in each turn (by ending a move on it), but that falls down when we consider that the enemy has to slay your hero to gain control, so clearly control stays with the first hero on the spot.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong cause I don't think this is how it should work.

There's no mention of the hero needing to be within 3" at the end of turn.
"A player controls the objective if, at the end of any move, a Hero from their army is within 3" of the objective. Only one hero can control each place of power at a time - if more than one is eligible, then the first to arrive controls it. If a Hero slays an enemy Hero controlling a place of power, then they immediately gain control of the place of power if they are within 3" of it."
It doesn't say anything about how a hero might lose control, besides being slain, so that's been interpreted as you being able to move off and control other PoP. The alternative would be that you have to essentially gain control of the objective in each turn (by ending a move on it), but that falls down when we consider that the enemy has to slay your hero to gain control, so clearly control stays with the first hero on the spot.
I'd love for someone to prove me wrong cause I don't think this is how it should work.

The part underneath in the Victory section is what I'm referring to:

dbe095cded50c268bf3391c6cc738519.jpg

As it states you score at the end of your turns for each controlling hero, so you refer back to the condition for controlling an objective:

c042e43cf3a1b2df5e6996b2e8631e94.jpg

Which in the first instance is having a hero within 3".

That's my interpretation of the rules at least, and as far as I can tell it's also GWs intent for the battleplan.

It's three places of power. Not three objectives-that-follow-your-avoidance-hero-around-the-map of power

Thanks for the responses so far. Our debate really revolved around claiming the objective after somebody had already claimed it, and a number of my friends were under the impression that killing the hero who initially claimed the objective was the only way to take it off them. 

My understanding was;

- you seize it immediately if your hero kills the hero

- you take it on the movement phase if your the only hero within 3" 

Thanks for the responses so far. Our debate really revolved around claiming the objective after somebody had already claimed it, and a number of my friends were under the impression that killing the hero who initially claimed the objective was the only way to take it off them. 

My understanding was;

- you seize it immediately if your hero kills the hero

- you take it on the movement phase if your the only hero within 3" 

This is correct. There is also no score if your hero moves outside of 3"

So bear in mind a charge and pile in counts as a move. So if you pile in to outside of 3" by the end of your turn you no longer control the objective.

Archived