Braggoth's Beast Hammer

thediceabide

I don't like it. I feel the Mournfang is much stronger than the Gruntas, with their superior charge bonus and better weapon options.

Double pile in and attack is nice, but is the cost too high? Once per game, massive amount of units required, cost of formation itself, needing to make the charge (ideally with all units simultaneously to get max value)...

20 hours ago, Stauderpower said:

The faq said if a unit from another faction is added via formation they gain the appropriate keyword. This means the gore grunt as get the beastclaw raiders keyword so battleline isn't to bad. Overall it's fun and makes gore gruntas solid.

Giving Gore-gruntas the Beatclaw Raider keyword wouldn't make them battleline though unless I'm mistaken? They only gain the battleline role if the whole army has the Ironjawz allegiance.

The battalion is cool, but as @Emicus says the Mournfang are waaaay better. The 'gruntas get buffed, but are still just 'gruntas with the same ****** damage output!!

I think he was saying that mournfang stay battleline, so no need for foot sloggers. that means they can use the beastclaw traits too. I think this is a scroll for people who like these models. The double pile in and attack is crazy good, if they all make the charge,  :) But if they all get in, you're losing a lot of wounds off 2 of the 5 units. 

• 1 month later...

So yesterday I got the chance to play two game at 2k game with this Battalion. My list was of the following:

Braggoth's Beast Hammer 160

Frostlord on Stonehorn 460

Mournfang Pack 200

Mournfang Pack 200

Mournfang Pack 200

Gore Gruntas 180

Gore Gruntas 180

Frostlord on Thundertusk 420

For 2000 points on the dot. Being only a test match, we didn't play with any objectives, but I managed to table my opponent who was playing Flesheater Court, by turn 3. Second match was against Order (celestial hurricanum, vexilor, castellant, and a ton of Retributors, and handgunners). After losing a bunch of models to the buffed up and teleporting Retributors, I manage to table the opponent by turn 4.

I'd suggest to give this battalion a try and share their experiences :)

I ran Beastclaw Allegiance, just for fluff reasons. Destruction is all around brutal, but versus the Fleseater Courts, I chose Beastclaw because he had 120 ghouls with no rend, so I chose the artefacts that let me reroll failed save rolls against attacks with no rend.

In my opinion, rerolling 1 to wound on charge, and 1 to save (with the everwinter effect) are good bonuses if you grinding out matches.

With the destruction allegiance pack, you just get more burst early game, with the extra moves and all.

In the formation, is Braggoth considered a named character? If he is, then he can't take artefacts or battle traits and that makes a big difference to this formation. 
It seems unclear, as in the Organisation table it says "1 Frostlord on Stone horn (Braggoth Varduk)". A Frostlord on Stonehorn can take them, but you can only have one Braggoth in the army, so maybe that makes him a named character and thus he cannot.

Nothing says that you can't use this battalion only once, so lets say that in a really big game (4k and over), you decide to put two of this battalion, that would mean you would have two Braggoth.

So my guess is that no, he is not a named character. That rule was meant for "real named characters" as for they have their own characteristics and artifacts, and are unique. Braggoth on the other hand, is just a Frostlord like the others (maybe a bit tougher).

Archived