Port Elui

Turin

Welcome to my army building thread. I am new to this forum and only recently started with Age of Sigmar since I mostly painted and played LotR and WH40k before.

Age of Sigmar it is and because of its unlimited nature I decided to forge my own narrative for this army.

Located at the Sea of Bones in the Real of Ghur, lies the Free Port Elui. It is said to have been founded by Teclis himself during the Age of Myth, but few of its current inhabitants even know who that name refers to and fewer still believe in this origin myth. What is certain is that it has been razed several times throughout the ages by the roaming tribes and beasts of Ghur. Its glorious days are far gone and large parts of the city have been abandoned to be devoured by the stinging sands of the surrounding desert wasteland.

In fact, through shrinking population, climate change, relentless Orruk raids and chaotic corruption the mere existence of Port Elui has been on the line. That changed when shortly after Sigmar's sally from the gates of Azyr an Aelven temple has been established within a few miles of the city. Led by a mysterious woman, the warrior maids offered protection against the brutish dangers of Ghur, in exchange for nothing but the hunting rights in the surrounding lands and a portion of the marketplace where they proceeded to stage gladiatorial fights against each other and the vile beasts they captured on their hunting expeditions.

I am going to continue adding more information about the background as the painting process progresses. As you can guess it is going to be a Daughters of Khaine army, though I decided to pick some allies for them and embed them in the narrative.

Here are the Dark Riders of the city's Thieves Guild. We shall learn more about them later on.

IMG_20190416_2308374.jpg.e597533a80a7475877f5aa8f6df2cb07.jpg

Details.png.29584037079653714cc6d2d5dabc085f.png

344363705_DetailsPferde.png.4bf4afb7cd1030d151b883969621ea0b.png

Bases.png.9941bac6e9d2d6a35dccf667fac25113.png

IMG_20190416_2303322.jpg.2c7b555341e008020f4d2eaa48e0f58f.jpg

That's all for now. Among other things this thread will hopefully serve as a motivation for me, as I am a very slow painter.

Let me know what you think so far and thank you in advance for any helpful criticism.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

The War Coven of Doravur belongs to the Draichi Ganeth sect and their leathanam - the disenfranchised worker drones - began construction on the temple near Port Elui as the Age of Chaos came to an end. Far away from the high civilizations of Aelves, Duardin and men, the servants of the murder-god are on a mission. The most powerful sacrifices to Khaine require nothing less than the blood of the greatest beasts and warriors. To bring down the various monstrosities Ghur has to offer became the purpose of the Doravur sisterhood. This has subsequently shaped their way of life. Not only do they resemble the savagery of their prey - even more so than their brethren from other temples - they also have made it into a fashion to clothe themselves in the skin of those they prevailed over.

This is the second test model of a Witch Aelf I painted. I didn't get past the skin on the first one since I was trying out weird colour and shade combinations. The leopard skin was made with green stuff, one of my first attempts to work with that modelling compound.

IMG_20190416_2312565.jpg.c417c0e018f45811855db932e54b4cf4.jpg

IMG_20190416_2313472.jpg.2b5cca0ee39c2261d3690cddd23fa2bf.jpg

IMG_20190416_2313114.jpg.24eb8ab8a03e4ad1e726be902819de1d.jpg

IMG_20190416_2313594.jpg.43e3d9b42b80fb542b29f754a1053e7e.jpg

It's scary how many more details the photographs always bring to light. I certainly forgot a few mold lines here and there. Cleaning DoK of unwanted plastic bits is one hell of a job though. Nonetheless I'm quite happy with how she turned out.

My ceramite white primer spray has this weird attribute where it makes flat surfaces a bit gritty. You only notice it when you touch the model but it's still annoying while painting. I definitely don't overdo it, so that can't be the reason. Would just buying a new primer help? I'm not exactly sure how old it is. On the other hand my very old chaos black primer works perfectly fine.

Thank you for reading. Again, any criticism is welcome.

14 hours ago, Turin said:

My ceramite white primer spray has this weird attribute where it makes flat surfaces a bit gritty. You only notice it when you touch the model but it's still annoying while painting. I definitely don't overdo it, so that can't be the reason. Would just buying a new primer help? I'm not exactly sure how old it is. On the other hand my very old chaos black primer works perfectly fine.

I had a similar problem tried everything up to spraying inside (even while it was 15 degrees plus outside) and..... getting a new can helped. Also tried out my first Vellejo primer and saved me 'bout 50% and worked like an absolute tread. Even comes with a bigger nozzle for larger models.

GW White Primer is infamous for it. Needs a *lot* of shaking to avoid and it's useless in the heat or damp. I've switched to either AdMech grey spray or brushing on Celestia Grey when I need a lighter base coat.

Models look good and the theme is fun, keep going!

On 4/19/2019 at 7:58 AM, Kramer said:

I had a similar problem tried everything up to spraying inside (even while it was 15 degrees plus outside) and..... getting a new can helped. Also tried out my first Vellejo primer and saved me 'bout 50% and worked like an absolute tread. Even comes with a bigger nozzle for larger models.

Thanks, I already decided to not buy GW primers any more,  mostly because of the price, but that's another good reason.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:09 PM, Lucio said:

GW White Primer is infamous for it. Needs a *lot* of shaking to avoid and it's useless in the heat or damp. I've switched to either AdMech grey spray or brushing on Celestia Grey when I need a lighter base coat.

Models look good and the theme is fun, keep going!

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'll post more over the coming weeks.

• 2 months later...

I'm finally continuing; this time with a Bloodwrack Medusa.

I haven't thought of a name or backstory for her yet, but perhaps that will come over the course of some games.

Sadly, some of the photos didn't turn out very well, but here she is:

1535539261_Bloodwrack1.png.d704a23379a8418147f23de192e51fa2.png

1200751085_bloodwrack2.jpg.014039f1fffb18aad002d64b24d784de.jpg

126569215_Bloodwrack3.jpg.ac2acc28a28df7ac0659d65ce520dc12.jpg

• Like 3