Thread of Army Dreams

Right, so we are all people here with limited time and income.  Which makes picking the next hobby project difficult at times. So I realised I have hit a major snag. I get more ideas than I could possibly make. It’s maddening at time and I know I am not the only one.

So, I figured I would start this thread so that people could share their ideas for those projects. Get them out of our brains and what not. Maybe other members of this community could be inspired to bring them to life or share tips to help make that hobby dream a reality.

Now, here is the deal. Describe the project, whether it’s an army, single model, diorama, etc. Then describe what’s preventing you from doing it, so cost, space, skill level, time, etc.

I’ll get the ball rolling.

Skaven from Ghyran

This is a bit of a multi-part one. The first is a Clan Skyre army, the general idea is that a group of Skaven founded a city called the Emerald Citadel where they run things from behind the scenes. Kind of like a messed up Wizard of Oz. The army would be made primarily from converted Adeptus Mechanicus models. Warp Lightning Canons made from Dune Crawlers, Skitarii would be Skyre Acolytes (but on metal stilts to keep their secrets). You get the gist.

A couple of things prevent me from this one. Cost is one, but my friend plays Skyre and our lists would be too similar.

The other Skaven army was a bit simpler. Either a Verminus or Eshin army with fluffy tails. Yup these would be Squirrel Skaven. A bit of a simple idea. I would paint them as red squirrels, with greys being fluffy tailed seers. Obviously they would be well camouflaged for the forest climate.

Cost again prevents me for starting this one. I am also sceptical about running another horde army. I am also unsure of how I would go about making those fluffy tails.

• Like 5

I'm fortunate enough to have the fundings to translate most of my wild ideas into reality. Lately its been:

Ironweld Arsenal as full battletome focused on industry, clockwork and engineers. Complete with custom made battletome, cogfort, battle card and currently in the process of being playtested before posting the full realised tome online for others.

Suneater Ogors as above, priest based destruction faction of Ogors and Grots worshiping the Suneater aspect of Gorkamorka seeking to purge the realms of civilization.

And now onto a roving mammoth tribes aspect of Khorne, not psychotic but worshipping him as an ancestor spirit of war, focused on blood sacrafice to further the tribes but as ritual respecting those sacraficed and honouring that which they have given.

• Like 6

I have been working on  High Elf/Phoenix Temple army from Aqshy. 

Their lore is that they managed to hold their on during the Age of Chaos on a plateau that is kept grassy and fertile because of the Phoenix Nest Volcano and serves as outpost for the Order on the realm.

They are ruled by a Phoenix Temple silent King that rides Lunara, a Frost Phoenix on her last life.

Got me a win on a local painting tornament!

Now waiting for rules to field those guus properly!

IMG-20190128-WA0046.jpg

• Like 2

I'm only a high school student, as such my time to hobby and funds are based on how well I do and birthday money, however I've  had the time and bits to further three projects to the point of just needing to paint them.

1.Flesh eater court army who think they are Tomb Kings.

2. A Tomb Kings army that is a mix of classic models and new models plus conversions as their dynasty has been usurped(ha) by a Vampire lord(a grim dark version of the plot of Anno Dracula(Great book by Kim Newman)).

3. Pirate themed Gloomspite Gitz.

• LOVE IT! 1

My army of dreams is Free city of Al-Nephtis (mix of ancient egyptian and persian influences) consisting of:

- Tempest Lords ScE with golden ornamentations on armour.

- Freeguild  - converted Shadow Warriors for regular soldiers and converted Electropriests for royal guard

- Wanderers joined by Shadowblade Assassins as Al-Nephtis' special forces

- Lion Rangers (with chariots ofc)

- Dispossessed and Fyreslayers allies

and crème de la crème: joined forces of Collegiate Arcane and Ironweld Arsenal  using aetherquartz guns (skitarii parts) and focal cannons (made of Luminark of Hysh). Basically fantasy army using laser guns - Skaven no longer have monopoly on that.

Why it probably won't happen? Beacuse it's very expensive project and I'm not sure what will happen with some kits before I finish. GW already discontinued Tempest Lords upgrade set. Oh, and also lack of skills ofc.

Edited by michu
  • Like 1

Been wanting to do a heavy metal viking/spartan theme for my slaanesh/darkoath army. So far my idea involves making valkyrie lords and warqueens and I plan on making an attempt at making spartan themed chosen probably using kairic acolytes as the base. Chaos warriors are already viking enough and I bet the upcoming war cry and darkoath stuff will be as well so for the most part it's a waiting game to see how those end up looking and what if any mortals slaanesh will get before advancing the project.

My dream / next army project would be a Grand Alliance Chaos army that’s built as a mirror of free peoples.

Basically a medieval dark fantasy army with demigryph knights, spearmen,  various mutants. Not over the top slaves to darkness but people who worship chaos as a traditional pantheon, have castles, towns etc.

• Like 2

A personal guilty pleasure force of mine would be feral and wild Aelves adorned with Warpaint and converted from many different Boxes.
Essentially they are some sort of tribe riding Horses or similar Beasts (Dark Rider Horses / Fenrisian Wolves) They either would be a Band of Badass Warrior-Nomads who compete with Beasts and other Factions in Ghur with their cliche Code of Honour or some kind of Aelves who are all about the God of the Hunt - fighting Chaos in his Name.
There is a Topic in the painting Section here on TGA called "Storm Aelves of Ghur" which embodies my Ideas - the Reavers there are just beautiful.
Boxes that would be needed include:
Fenriasian Wolves
 Sisters of the Thorn/Wild Riders,
Dark Eldar Wyches (they even have Nets and I would love to expand on the Monster Hunting theme)
Dark Riders /Doomfire Warlocks
Glade Guard (to build my own mounted archers with Wild Rider legs and Glade Guard Bits, also MORE Aelf-Heads to customize every Model)
etc...

What prevented me was:
-I was just starting Warhammer a year ago and this seemed like too much of a project for my first tabletop Army ever
-Money
-The Units: Reavers, Wild Riders, Glade Riders,  Old Wood Aelf Heroes, etc. they all have an unsure Situation considering the Future of AoS
-Having no overview on what Bits and Pieces exist in the wide range of modeling, inexperience shopping for Bits, 
-buying out of print models like Glade Riders

Alternatively an Army of Hunting obsessed Aelves consisting solely of Waywatchers (compendium Unit) with Glade Guard as Battleline, Hunting Hounds and various Aelf Heroes on foot.  Again everything kit-bashed and cobbled together.
I have always had a soft spot for everything being mounted or being on foot, don't know why :D 

• Like 1

Man, I just got one a few weeks ago and I been bottling it up for so long. Here it goes though!

my idea is a pirate chaos army, The Fleet of 4 Winds, with an army dedicated around each of the chaos gods. So far in terms of ideas of fleets:

the slaneeshi fleet lead lead by the Low-Born Captain La'Guad, a lowly deck hand of the realm of life that betrayed his free city in a flawless plan that destroyed the armada defending it, falling prey to the whispers and temptations of the life of excess a pirate's life will bring. In exchange for his soul, he gains flawless perfection and a crew as ravenous for the good things in life, namely Rum, combat and lots of booty. 

The tzeench fleet lead lead by a man only known as The Count of Vaspa, a man who was betrayed by his friends and locked away into a stormcast prison for 19 years. In that time he met a secretive apostate to sigmar, the Mad Abbot, who reached him more than any one man should know. Escaping from prison, he finds his old friends have become noblemen in the freeguild cities, and gained the eye of tzeench by destroying each of their lives one by one with schemes he spent years in making.

So far only got these two for ideas. I listen to the classics in audio book for my delivery job, so I can't help but take ideas from them. (Or rip off wholesale with the obvious reference for tzeench)

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Man, I just got one a few weeks ago and I been bottling it up for so long. Here it goes though!

my idea is a pirate chaos army, The Fleet of 4 Winds, with an army dedicated around each of the chaos gods. So far in terms of ideas of fleets:

the slaneeshi fleet lead lead by the ****** Captain La'Guad, a lowly deck hand of the realm of life that betrayed his free city in a flawless plan that destroyed the armada defending it, falling prey to the whispers and temptations of the life of excess a pirate's life will bring. In exchange for his soul, he gains flawless perfection and a crew as ravenous for the good things in life, namely Rum, combat and lots of booty

The tzeench fleet lead lead by a man only known as The Count of Vaspa, a man who was betrayed by his friends and locked away into a stormcast prison for 19 years. In that time he met a secretive apostate to sigmar, the Mad Abbot, who reached him more than any one man should know. Escaping from prison, he finds his old friends have become noblemen in the freeguild cities, and gained the eye of tzeench by destroying each of their lives one by one with schemes he spent years in making.

So far only got these two for ideas. I listen to the classics in audio book for my delivery job, so I can't help but take ideas from them. (Or rip off wholesale with the obvious reference for tzeench)

Oh man @Acid_Nine, that is a great idea(no wonder you were asking around at the Golden Abacus)! if I can make a suggestion, for Nurgle you could have an old sailor who got angered with the advent of the Kharadron Overlords sky ships and turned to Nurgle to keep his crew and more importantly his ships, together.

Would love to see some photos if you have them.

Main thing right now is, besides building an urban and underground table, is a nurgle vs stormcast skirmish warband where the basing ties them together.

the stormcast basis will be bright green Jungle overgrown ruins theme. So lots of vines, temple tiles and clear water. 

On the nurgle side the plants are drooping and darker green, the water is a bit corrupted and all in all it looks more like a swamp. Of course building a table worth of terrain to match and if I ever go for the great unclean one... he’ll be sitting in a river taking care of his business 😂*

* very niche real wars reference. To a big unclean one taking a toxic non stop dump in allariele life giving river 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Main thing right now is, besides building an urban and underground table, is a nurgle vs stormcast skirmish warband where the basing ties them together.

the stormcast basis will be bright green Jungle overgrown ruins theme. So lots of vines, temple tiles and clear water. 

On the nurgle side the plants are drooping and darker green, the water is a bit corrupted and all in all it looks more like a swamp. Of course building a table worth of terrain to match and if I ever go for the great unclean one... he’ll be sitting in a river taking care of his business 😂*

* very niche real wars reference. To a big unclean one taking a toxic non stop dump in allariele life giving river 

Nice

• Like 1

Some great ideas here! Really inventive stuff.

I've got one crazy army project in progress at the moment, which is a complete college or wizards, representing every colour of magic. For ages I've gradually been collecting all of the old wizard models, and think I now have them all, including the talisman versions and the ones on horses. I've filled out the roster with some Bretonnian sorceresses, and various female wizard models from other manufacturers to make the faculty a bit more diverse. Now i'm in the slow progress of painting them all up. There are maybe a dozen or so figures for each colour, plus assorted familiars and horses, so its taking a while. I've seen cool conversions online where the chassis of the Luminark and Hurricanum have been converted to represent the other six winds, but that could be quite an expensive prospect, so we shall see if I get around to trying something like that. I'd also love to make a complete wizard's guild board, (although it would be more use for RPGs and as a display). I'll update on progress of the project once more of them are presentable.

My other grand plan is to make a Grand Army of Chaos, dedicated to all the Non standard chaos gods. I already have a large Legion of Azgorh force, so thats Hashut taken care of. I'd like to convert Slaves to Darkness dedicated to Malal, Beastmen spreading anarchy in the name of Zuvassin, and some sort of cabal of Ur-priests called the Apostates of Necoho. I can use Hook Horrors from D&D as Daemons of Malal, and try to convert some sort of Daemons of the others. I have no idea when or if this is going to happen. The beastmen side of it is probably quite likely to happen, the rest might be trickier and require a bit of careful planning...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheR00zle said:

Oh man @Acid_Nine, that is a great idea(no wonder you were asking around at the Golden Abacus)! if I can make a suggestion, for Nurgle you could have an old sailor who got angered with the advent of the Kharadron Overlords sky ships and turned to Nurgle to keep his crew and more importantly his ships, together.

Would love to see some photos if you have them.

Hmm, I do like the idea, but I think I just came up with my own nurgle and khorne spin:

the Scurvy Lord's fleet is largely unknown, but legend has it that a respectable merchant fleet had been stranded out at sea due to lack of wind. Running out of fresh fruits the crew began to fall to various diseases of rot and decay. They prayed to any god that would listen, and soon they found themselves running aground on an island that was never there. They ate from the fruit of the island, and rather than cure their illness it increased it ten fold. Now they sail the seas to plant more of more life saving fruit trees, praising the lord who saved them by planting these twisted plantations where they land.

Black Carter started his career as a slave, and was  pressganged into service at a young age in a black corsair vessel. When the vessel was sunk by a khorne fleet, he was given a choice; serve or die. The young man joined, and through sheer luck found himself in charge of the khornite fleet after the last captain died. Known as "The red scholar", this young man has a vendetta against the aelven race, and seeks to wipe out any he comes across.

unfortunatly all I have right now are names (and more rip offs ideas than 40k).. and my idoneth Deepkin, who are beast hunters and fleet killers 😉

Edited by Acid_Nine

14 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Hmm, I do like the idea, but I think I just came up with my own nurgle and khorne spin:

the Scurvy Lord's fleet is largely unknown, but legend has it that a respectable merchant fleet had been stranded out at sea due to lack of wind. Running out of fresh fruits the crew began to fall to various diseases of rot and decay. They prayed to any god that would listen, and soon they found themselves running aground on an island that was never there. They ate from the fruit of the island, and rather than cure their illness it increased it ten fold. Now they sail the seas to plant more of more life saving fruit trees, praising the lord who saved them by planting these twisted plantations where they land.

Black Carter started his career as a slave, and was  pressganged into service at a young age in a black corsair vessel. When the vessel was sunk by a khorne fleet, he was given a choice; serve or die. The young man joined, and through sheer luck found himself in charge of the khornite fleet after the last captain died. Known as "The red scholar", this young man has a vendetta against the aelven race, and seeks to wipe out any he comes across.

unfortunatly all I have right now are names (and more rip offs ideas than 40k).. and my idoneth Deepkin, who are beast hunters and fleet killers 😉

I would like to see your deepen if that is ok, and are they willing to work with an ogor, a grot, another aelf, and some orruks?

Savanah Loxodon Gut busters

ive found a lot of really cool 3d printed loxodons where the heads are just the right size for an ogre body. Swap out the gut plate for something less savage which are the same size of a lot of shields online and green stuff the fingers into 3 fingers and boom. Loxodon. Maybe the weapons could be less savage but ya know theyre still elephants and even in mtg lore they arent too bright or known for their craftsmanship.  Butcher make him a little more robed and rid make the pot less bloody or find something different. 

Also can be done with rhinox heads but theres way more greenstuffing the thick necks.

ive kicked this one around for years but it hasnt been a financial thing, but im really bad at greenstuff. Ive been building old dwarf kits and just filling gaps takes me time. Maybe if i spent a lot of time learning id be ok but this is heavy on the conversions but i think would have a super cool and unique look.  You also look hard enough you can find walrus minis. Now those models are like 20 a pop. But being that you only need so many. It could break up the gray skin. 

• Like 1

I used to have one of those, but something always was in the way... Mostly not enough time when I had many painting comissions, and not enough money when I had fewer ; ). The idea was in planning phase for years...  But now, finally, I was able to actually start the project. Basically,  @Aloth_Corfiser mentioned it already:

A tribe of Swifthawk  Aelves from Azyr, stranded in Ghur for generations and transformed by their cruel home into savage but honourable monster-hunters, revering Sigmar as the Thundergod who will one day call them again to fight for him.

• LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, TheR00zle said:

I would like to see your deepen if that is ok, and are they willing to work with an ogor, a grot, another aelf, and some orruks?

Don't worry, I plan on posting something fun in the pirate realms when I get the creative juices good and flowing! thanks for the praise though, happy to see my ideas are not stupid. 

46 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Don't worry, I plan on posting something fun in the pirate realms when I get the creative juices good and flowing! thanks for the praise though, happy to see my ideas are not stupid. 

Looking forward to your future post! Also a wise man once said “there are no bad ideas.”

My studio desk is always full of various projects in different states of progress.

Out of all of them my favorite is definitely my “Araby” stuff.

I see them more as isolationists. Valuing knowledge above all. Waging war when absolutely necessary. While “human” citizens are a thing, they would make heavy use of elemental forces. Depending, I could definitely see them in Hyish, due to the realms prominence for all things “higher” & naturally arabesques and mathematics yada yada.

Ulgu could also be good, shrouding their society from outsiders and using more maligned elements.

Really the only thing keeping me from getting things done is my own indecisiveness and complex projects. This is partly why I hop around on projects so it gives me time to reflect on decisions, work out the kinks and not force things. Which is why I still haven’t finished my egret beastman shaman after all these years haha

Here is an example of my very much wip djinn..

C8FB13EB-15F8-4FDD-B5E3-84A430EE32A6.jpeg

Edited by Mandzak-Miniatures
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 5

The one army I'd like to build that I haven't is a bunch of dinosaur taming Darkoath / Slaves to Darkness. I'd want to make them resemble a historical African tribe, with limited metal working, use of natural materials etc.

Maurauder riders on Dark Aelf Cold ones

A Bastiladon Warshrine

A Carnosaur to count as a Chaos Lord on a Manticore

The biggest obstacle has been the weaponry. Bonesplitta Orruk weapons are ideal  but the models are just too big to work as anything other than Chaos Warriors

My big idea would be a Beastmen-army with a wild mix of different kinds of beastmen. Not only goats, rams and cows but also varying dogs, felines, birds, insects, reptiles, fish and so on. 

With the Tzaangors there is already a nice addition, but for my vision I need much much more. To be honest I am probably just too lazy for this project. 

• Like 4

One of my projects which I'm struggling with is inspired by Man O' War; Corsair 

basically I want a rule system to play as a TTRPG adapting wfrp2e rules or something similar so each player can make a character sheet for their captain that fields statistics of their ship and crew, and allows each player to sail the great ocean of the old world; the twist is that I want each main  faction to be playable anyway, so I concepted a trireme for ogres called a gut-ship that has 4 ogres heaving oars on the lower deck and a bruiser-captain beating on a cooking pot as a pacing drum - the ship itself framed using an upturned skeleton of a huge beast which the head and tusks serve as obscenely brutal ramming pikes. The thought was that ogres naturally are hungry for their next battle and eagerly row their small crew of 8 into the frey, breaking their victims in two and murdering any survivors for their next meal while looting anything of value. The gut-ships would be a like a single decked tri-reme that is extremely short and fat as the power to weight ratio means that they need a whole lot less ogres to row and thus less banks of oars; when they get to ramming speed and close the gap they stow the oars and everyone gets above deck to prepare for the gutting of the enemy vessel.

I figured no one should be obstructed from playing their favourite faction, even if it isn't supported on the tabletop usually.

My other project is currently buying correctly sized terrain bases for all of my troops and rebasing each of them so I can give them a bit  more flavour than these black squares (and it will let me convert to rounds as well), and assembling the rest of my gutbusters; If I were to do a unique tribe or character I would make a set of Ogre pistoleers, think moustachioed ogre bulls with braces of ogre pistols and a pistol grafted to each hand to look like it is being held properly - I imagine they would look quite dashing and be pretty charismatic on the table as display pieces

• Like 2