In search of the greatest hammers

Nokrah

Hello,

1) What do you think are the greatest, most competitive and durable hammers in a LoN army? (outside of Grimghast reaper?)

2) I fear the Grimghast reaper nerfbat that will strike soon the LoN army. Even at 400pts/30, I will still take them. But Let's say we are hit with a 100pts increase, how would you replace them?

thanks for your strategic insights!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, El Syf said:

they have no rend, no MW, just lots of attacks

They have -1 rend, the bell might dish out MWs and a flying move of 8“... still they are stupid bedsheets, my trusted skellis will do the job with twice the trveness. 

Spirit hosts, but better pray for blood knights 

5 hours ago, Nokrah said:

Snip

2) I fear the Grimghast reaper nerfbat that will strike soon the LoN army. Even at 400pts/30, I will still take them. But Let's say we are hit with a 100pts increase, how would you replace them?

Snip

I wouldn’t worry too much.  GW needs to make some more money first.  There’re equally disgusting options in other armies for less points.  If GW was tapping down on super units Plague Monks would have been hit instead of just seeing their point values normalized.  GRs in Legions of Nagash take up valuable space since they are not battleline, that’s a pretty big setback compared to other armies that get their similar units plus an extra elite unit or two.

And if the nerf warhammer is dropped it is likely to be across the board in the next General’s Handbook.

As for a replacement that is both a hammer and a tank... there isn’t any.  Wights kind of are with a 5+ save because unlike other armies we (mostly) don’t get the 4+ outside 100+ point models.  So with theory hammer I’d say a large static block of Grave Guard castled with  Gravesite Markers.  Maybe throw in the GHoN crown.  Zero tactically flexibility, expensive, and the enemy gets to make all the choices after your deployment.  But heaven help him if they are camping on a 4VP home objective marker.

Aides this thread has the best subject line I have ever seen.  At first glance I wanted to open it.  The content was different than expected but was still equally interesting.

• Thanks 2

*zip pants and disable camera* not that hammer...

Like Evil Bob said before, Grave Guards are a good hammer too. Most of time i play them in a Grand Host of Nagash list. So they benefit from General Trait Lord of Nagashizzar and the Artifact Ossific Diadem. Throw Vampire Lord's Blood Feast on them and you got that sweet 4 Attacks on +3/+3/-1/1 (2 Damage on 6's) and 5+ Save (4+ on Rend -0) and 6+/6+ Feel no Pain.

On the other hand i also like Morghast with Helberds in a LoN list, also with Blood Feast. 5 Attacks at +3/+3/-2/3 on 2". Also 9" Flying and 4+ Save (5+ on MW as Archaii)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been searching for a replacement to Grimghast Reapers pending a nerf in GHB 4, but I think we are failing to take into account speculation on points cuts on other units. If Grave Guard drop to 140 for 10, and they are still battleline in GHoN, I think you have a hammer right there. Would also like to see Morghasts and Blood Knights revisited. Fingers crossed the "More Battletomes are Coming" image from the previews does indeed portend a dedicated Soulblight tome. If that comes with some new kits for battleline, it will likely also be legal in Legions like a chunk of nighthaunt is. I know I just imagined a bunch of wishlisting there, but I wouldn't say its out of the realm of impossible. In conclusion, the new GHB may yield new math for previously overcosted units which become the new hammer.

Also, Black Knights. +1 attack from general with Lord of Nagashizzar and a Wight King or Vamp Lord in support for another +1... 8 attacks per model?

• Like 1