"A morghast adventure" - help!

Bumfunk

Hello fellow deathlords.

I'm about to start my first "morghast-adventure". I think i'm going with Harbringers. But i thought i would hear you guys for a few advice before i throw myself into it.

1: Is the archais a better way to go? (I guess they can be played whatever type you want really, since i only play with friends).

2: What is better? 2-handed or swords?

3: I've heard that they are TERRIBLE to both assemble and paint.. Any good advice / bad / experiences regarding the more "creative progress".

Hope you can help!

Cheers!

Personally I would always go for the halberd version, less attacks but in theory more damage can be inflicted and in grand host they get +1 attack anyways. And I think the sword versions look a bit meh.

Arcai or Harbingers I find very situational, if the opposing player has a fair bit of mortal wound ouput then Arcai are the way to go. If not Harbingers with the 3d6 charge can be pretty awesome.

I have to confess all my morghasts have been bought as gifts or otherwise preassembled before they came to me(thank you ebay) so can't help on that!

• Like 1

Its up to you what you want to do with them. Harbringer's 3D Charge is sweet. In a Legion of Night List in ambush you definitly want Harbringers.

If you want to go with Nagash in the Battalion you should chose Archai.

Most of the time when i play Morghast i play in a Legion of Nagash list, so they get +1 Attack. Mathematical +1 Attack on Helberds is far better than one more swords attack. 

Assambling Morghast is not that terrible. You should paint the Archai armor and the weapons first, befor you glue them together. 

Painting was a bit tricky. For the bones i used Agrax Earthshade. But i painted the little Skulls underneath the bones first. So i had paint the skulls again because the Agrax dropped on the skulls.

In most situations, 3D6 charge is more valuable than a 5+ MW save but it really depends on your meta, if you face lots of MWs often then perhaps the armor is better.

As for the weapon, statistically, the halberd is almost always better. Against a 5+ save with no buffs or debuffs Halberds do ~4.0 damage while Swords do ~3.7 damage. (Which is close, but the halberd still edges the swords and has longer reach). As you move towards better saves the halberds outpace swords even more. (say a 3+ save with mystic shield). Furthermore, if you are running GHoN the value of +1 halberd attack is higher than +1 sword attack so that widens the gap even more. The only argument for swords is that outside of GHoN they can potentially do more damage (10 total vs 9), swords also edge out halberds against a 6+ save or no save as the -2 rend is wasted (~4.4 vs ~4.0 and only outside of GHoN). Overall though, in most situations, halberds are better and in my opinion, they are also way cooler so it is a no brainer for me.

• Like 2

I personally love the halberds over the swords and always go harbingers for the extra charge dice.

I fully assembled mine before painting, bit of a pain but worth it.  I did an all over base coat of bone (airbrush) then did skulls, ghosts, all the bones, then wings, armour followed by halberds. Turned out quite well, tho I do hate painting bone, takes me ages to get it the way I want it. 

Hope this helps

20181020_173935.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 4/12/2019 at 7:20 PM, Bademeister said:

Assambling Morghast is not that terrible. You should paint the Archai armor and the weapons first, befor you glue them together. 

Speak for yourself they've even worse than building Arkhan haha!

Definitely build the body and wings first and paint before you add armour or legs or anything. 

• Like 1