Is there ever the possibility for an Order army to ally with a Death army if the greater threat of Chaos threatened both?

There's a small player base at the store I play at and so far it is two Chaos players, a Death player, and myself as the Order player. I'm a big stickler on lore appropriate events and I was wondering if lorewise, an Order/Death vs Chaos battle was possible. I know they teamed up before the great betrayal, but I am more interested in portraying current events.  I play Dispossessed by the way.  I don't think there is anything that says outright in the Dispossessed lore that they absolutely can not stand Death besides being in Order. They have a greater fixation on grudges against Chaos. I'd like to hear any suggestions or ideas on this matter. There's no mechanical reason why we can't play together, but my mind just wants a story to tie it together for immersion purposes. 

If you want you can make all you can imagine, Age of Sigmar can be whatever you want.

But, if you need lore approval then yes, it has appened in the past:

SPOILERS for "Stormcast"

At the end of the book a couple of necromancers ally themselves with some Stormcasts to defeat a Khorne's horde, their main reason is that them alone would never be able to defeat the Bloodbound.

The forces of Order, Destruction and Death were once all allied against Chaos and even within the lore you can justify Chaos Allies with several factions as well.

The Grand Alliances and the political positions of each faction within them are all basically the "top down" view of things. It's the views of gods, kings, queens, lords etc.... It basically covers the official and most common political position of the various forces. This does not stop a pair of generals coming to an agreement out in the "real world". An alliance might stand for only one battle or might span a small campaign of events. It won't change the top end relationship and the alliance might even collapse into backstabbing part way through.

With some army combinations there's also the possibility that one army will corrupt/cheat/force the other to follow them. Eg a Free Peoples army could ally with a Chaos army because the Chaos Demons have corrupted the general of that force and that corruption has steadily spread through their army and those who follow them. Even those calling upon Blessed Sigmar's powers might well be casting corrupted spells that actually draw from the  powers of Chaos.

Some are harder stretches of the lore, eg it would be darn hard to get nearly any Chaos army allied to Stormcast; though a barbarian army comprised of only human units might ally with stormcast (aka similar to how we see the barbarian peoples in the Warqueen novel).

Basically the realms are VAST places where a lot can happen and most link-ups can be justified with the right story backing to them. Death and Stormcast is a very valid allied choice. Two immortal generals who fought side by side once rekindling their former alliance (a stormcast who fell at the end of the Mythic age could recall enough of their past to know an undead general who has survived through the ages). Uniting their forces once more against the foul corruption of the world eating and destroying demons of Chaos. Indeed it would be a classic alliance against the old foe which, if the alliance were to win, might well see them part without betraying each other. Though of course Nagash could intercede and force the hand of the undead army to turn on their allies once the threat of Chaos was beaten. 

• Like 1

As stated, if you want to, you can invent any story arch that would lead your forces to collaborate, if unwillingly. Maybe they only hold back until after the Chais threat is defeated, just to turn on what is left of their "allies"...

In the book Black Pyramid, there's an alliance between a certain vampire and some Hallowed Knights, if even the faithful can indulge the soulblighted... have at it ;)

I’m a big proponent of this idea - it’s actually the focus of my current hobby project (see https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/22055-regiments-of-renown/

However I think it should come at a cost - Order is always fighting a rearguard action against the creeping entropy of Chaos, Death and Destruction. So if they pair up with Death, there should be a corrupting influence that slowly erodes the gains they get from pairing up, or threatens to spill over into civil war. 

Checking the corerules I actually see a possibility to join forces between death and order or destruction and order without Coaltion of Death.

The corerules state the following in case of Allies:

ALLIES
One out of every four units included
in an army can be an allied unit.
Allied units are treated as part of
your army, except that they are not
included when working out your
army’s allegiance, and can therefore
be part of a different Grand Alliance
or faction.

It's not possible to mix a specific allegiance in Matched Play with another grand Alliance, because there Allies are stated in the rules. But in case of a Grand Alliance Army (where no allies are stated) it should be possible to ally with a different Grand Alliance.

And in case of Open/Narrative play there should be no forcing to use the allytables of the Pitched Battle profiles.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:43 PM, Lucur said:

In the book Black Pyramid, there's an alliance between a certain vampire and some Hallowed Knights, if even the faithful can indulge the soulblighted... have at it ;)

Aren't there also Duardin who are praying to the dead?

At least in the lore there are basicly stories of Humans, that work together with undead.

Edited by EMMachine

• 3 weeks later...