“Legacy” Armies in AoS

Danny76

4 hours ago, Dead Scribe said:

Most of the older stuff that does not have an updated book is in fact going to be playing the game on hard or nightmare difficulty if your opponent has an updated book and if they are playing at a tournament level.

This.

I play Elves and so far no Battletome. I manage to win nearly half my games, but it is an uphill battle. You will need to rely on every bit os sinergy you can get and all tricks you can find to score wins.

Usually i stay in the midle tier in my local meta (anecdotal evindence).

6 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

Seraphon strongly disagree.

Free People are placing themselves around the middleground in tournaments, 3-4 wins (Someone did  score a top 3 in February or Gen). I very like Free People, I think they  have the best shot (beside Seraphon) of the older ranges! The General on Griffon is one of the most cost/eff monster in the game.

The drawbacks are pretty tough to navigate around though:

- Relies on a static, tightly assembled army so they aren't great at capturing objectives unless they use underpowered models like Pistoliers/Outriders/Demigryphs or shoot enemy units off objectives. Your main buffs come from standing still and you can't hold the line if you move which makes your army so much more killy. 

- Relies wayyyyy too heavily on a general to stay alive.

- No way to stop mortal wounds

- No deathless save equivalent

- Magic is allied in so you either choose magic or guns and who plays free people not to have big guns?

- Limited to what you can have because of the 400pt ally limit. 

- Only a single, extremely expensive battalion.

It is possible to do well with them but as someone with about 3k points worth of them, it's been very difficult to successfully implement tactics that vary. The whole line up guards in front of guns and do the ****** move of sitting the general on a griffin behind a row of guards and attacking over the top gets a bit same same. I've purchased units of demigryphs and outriders with limited success. 

They could easily be updated, much in the same way the Gitz have been done. What they need is magic (even just magic resistance), consolidate the big guns with the main faction and some decent support heroes so you're not relying only on a general for everything. 

I would never recommend that anyone buy into a Legacy army, as I think it's a recipe for frustration with releases that can harm your enjoyment. As a starting point and with them fully painted, I think it's a great way to find out whether you like the game, at which point you can decide whether you're happy where you are, or want to move on to a new faction.

All the armies are playable, but those with a new battletome do tend to have an advantage. As others have said that's mostly a problem at the competitive end of the spectrum, so it really depends on where you're finding your enjoyment and the shape of your local meta. 

As a mainly open/narrative gamer, I bought an Order Draconis army and am quite happy with them. In occasional matched play, they've done okay but I know they'll never be an elite army without some major Aelf overhauling. If you like an army, legacy-or-not, go for it so long as you are aware of the pluses & minuses.

It sounds like Ogres are perhaps the best option for now if anything.

I have posted in the Destruction forum, but my question is do you think what I have will compete with peoples lists. I don’t think anyone will be playing crazy competitive lists or anything, but may not all be older stuff like mine..

Tyrant/Bruisers (2Hand, Great Weapon, BSB), 2 Slaughter/Butchers, 16 Ogres, 8 Ironguts, 7 Leadbelchers, 50 Gnoblars, Scraplauncher, Ironblaster. And I have 4 Mournfang, which I guess I would be allying in..

Obviously I wouldn’t use it all at once, maybe only 1000/1500, perhaps 2000 depending how I get on with AoS.. 

On 4/7/2019 at 11:37 PM, prochuvi said:

Legacy armys are useless rigth now.

In aos 1 you could play them without problems,now in aos 2 with the powercreep you havent a chance to compete.

You can play legacy vs legacy if you want a equal mathup.legacy vs new armys are autoloose

destruction allegiant ogres went 4-1 and took 5th at NOVA Open.

4 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

destruction allegiance ogres went 4-1 and took 5th at NOVA Open.

We also had one  go  I think either 3-2 or 4-1 at Da Boyz.  Jon Green from the Canhammer podcast.  Whole army cost him $25 Canadian to buy

Archived