AoS Doubles painting: Khornate Chaos Mammoths (Chamon) and FEC

Melcavuk

This year I've managed to get tickets and arrange time off work for the Throne of Skulls doubles event in June, my team mate is running a FeC list (as of yet undecided) but I scoured ways of making a competitive list that didnt make me feel ill inclined to paint it. As a largely narrative players (love my suneaters and ironweld) I struggle with competitve lists as they tend to include repeats of the same models with little need for variation, this in itself pretty much sums up the opposite of the way I approach lists normally.

So making a competitive (ish), but narrative lists I ran through literally dozens of concepts, some over competitive but soulless, others too narrative to pull off in meaningful styles before settling onto a small, conversion heavy, visually impactful list (hoping for sportsmanship and army points over wins)

So at the core of my list are two Khornate Mammoths, each tailored to a darkoath tribe of some sort to show the personal heraldry of the tribes on the battlefield. As the mammoth is near impossible to find at reasonable price my other half instead bought me the Gargantuan Squiggoth as the base model and I have started the conversion.

The Molochan Iron Bulls Mammoth!

IMG_5751.JPG

IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_5755.JPG

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

8 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Cool use of a squiggoth!

(Even if squiggoths should be for destruction! seriously why are squiggoths completely absent from WFB/AoS?)

I've always found it odd that theyre absent, especially given how ideally suited to the Iron Jawz they are for the latest editions of AoS.

Added more details to flesh it out, from pelts used as carpet on the inside of the crew compartment to hanging furs and skulls to show their hunting prowess the Mammoth is a living icon of the strength of the tribe, and a vital heart of their marauding empires. Even their freshly caught fish are pinned to the side to dry over the long journeys where meat could be scarce. The fires of the shrine warming them on the coldest of nights stoked by the fuels of their faith.

IMG_5759.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

IMG_5762.JPG

• Like 3

Cheers

Ive made some more progress on the Mammoth conversion, now dubbed a Hound of Ba'tish, Lord of Blades and Ancestor Spirit called upon in times of war. His hounds can be found upon the Weeping Steppes of Chamon, grazing amongst battlefields of old.

Crew removed to prevent overpainting onto them

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

• Like 5

Nearly done now, with all of the skulls painted up and some glow effects from the lanterns accompanying a more robust fireplace glow (with light transfer onto crew now done) I've got alot of stormcast helmets and roping to paint up before basing.

IMG_5854.JPG

IMG_5855.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG

IMG_5857.JPG

• Like 4

More work on the second Khornate Mammoth, this time the Pale Beast of Ba'doon, worshipped as the ender of all things. His acolytes are blood drenched ilk, blind to all but the savagery of war, in constant conflict with those worshipping Ba'tish

IMG_5912.JPG

IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_5914.JPG

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Comparison between the two Squiggoth (counts as Chaos Mammoth) so far, ignoring the glare on the right one I'm pretty happy with both (still got skulls and crew to paint on number two), do we think they are visually diverse enough?

IMG_5946.JPG

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1