Which Faction is next on the Chopping Block?

9 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

My hunch is that they will move an existing kit or two into the light/shadow factions or else resculpt some of those boxes to better fit the new aesthetic while people can still use the old kits if they want (same as old squigs & trolls).  And a trimmed down core of Aelf kits will become either an Aelf combined tome or mixed into some Free Cities army book.

I'm personally hoping we see the light/shadow Aelves be combined into a single faction book which plays off the idea of duality and the core mechanic is your army doing a Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde type thing, having some alternating advantage each battle round, basically expanding on the duality nature that was shown off in the Geminids spell.

As for some of the other stuff, I'd like to see an Aelf BCR type army of Dragon Riders, with large models on Dragons, "smaller" cavalry on Drakes and so on. Basically low model count, but dragons.. cos dragons are just damned cool.

I'd also like to see the Phoenix Temple being done with some kind of summoning mechanic where the army gains some resource each turn for accomplishing some goals (in the same manner that Maggotkin currently does).. I'm thinking something along the lines of setting both enemy units and terrain pieces on fire or freezing them. Those resources then get used to resummon units that have already been destroyed, preferably from their terrain piece, emphasizing the idea of rebirth.

BTW, I'm a Destruction player - so I've got no skin in this game, I do appreciate armies that are interesting though.

• Like 1

I for one hope GW re-sculpts all the old stuff into cool new plastic mini's and adds more new units to them.

I love how Nighthaunt went from 3 or 4 models to a full awesome looking army. But I don't like the look of the hexwraiths, they look old and don't fit the new aesthetic. I would have loved it if they would have updated their look  to fit in with the new stuff. Spirit hosts still look good and they incorporated their stylings into some of the new models. 

I would love Soulblight to get a similar release to Nighthaunt, for my buying and collecting purposes. But I would also like to see Dispossessed,  Aelves, etc.. get the same treatment and be brought up to todays standard, with more dynamic and detailed miniatures. Of course that would mean you would get armies that mix the old with the new, but I've been chasing down some old metal Bloodletters of Khorne so that my Bloodletter bomb would be composed of 10 models from each time they got updated and all look different. 

• Like 2

Well, browsing through the GW Store I rather doubt any more squatting.

Dispossesed are the only faction that is at rather high risk of getting squatted as they have only a few kits and up to now a very weak rule support.

Yet two of the available kits are quite new (Irondrakes/Ironbreakers and Hammerers/Longbeards) looking and the Dispossesed Warriors Kit had even a rebox for AoS with new Base, which is quite a good sign. Only Thunderers and Quarellers are a quite odd looking WHFB remainer looking from todays design perspective. Therefore the Range is actually a great base to flesh them out into a bigger faction. Btw, looking through the Warscrolls they look pretty interesting to play.

Beside of them only Savage Orruks are in a Mediocre state. I really wonder why GW canceled their StartCollecting-Box, either because it was a too good discount or because there is something new coming (which may even be a possibility as gw needs about a year between production and release). But Savage Orruks are in no way worse placed than Fyreslayers, who just got their new Battletome announced. Also GW Lacks some love for Destruction-Factions and they seem afraid from dropping a completly new faction again after Deepkin-Sales were far behind expectations. Therefore Redesigning an existing faction or fleshing them out with terrain and spells and tome seems more likely with gw´s current release policy.

Gutbusters are in a pretty sweet spot right now:
They just got a fresh rebox of two of their basic units. When GW would want wo cut them soon, they wouldn´t invest more money than nescessery as it would end up beeing an dead investition. Also at the current release pace they are likely to get a tome before the money from the rebox comes back. And they have the advantage of beeing one of the few rare real elite forced in the game right now. Even Stormcast, who are concidered to be an elite Force, field quite many models so they don´t really feel elite at all. Like Space Marines and Custodes in 40k. Beside of Ogres and BCR´s we only have Skryre who may fit this role. Order Draconis and Soulblight are in a different spot as they are rather following the cavalery-theme...Also GW could easily just put Gutbusters and BCR´s back together to rise the Gutbuster Sales, which is rather not likely to happen under the current portents.

Last but not least: Let us look at the last squatted Faction: Good ol Greenskinz. I never occured to an actual active Greenskin-Player, neither in Real Life, nor in the Web. I would almost certain say that gw had to throw away the old sprues as there was no real demand. The Design also had nothing really special like the savage orruks, so it was pretty hard to establish a selling point for them. All that made them special in the last time was rather sentiment, which companies rather don´t have for a bad selling product.

8 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

The thing underlying this all is the generation of intellectual property that GW can clearly call their own.  AoS was, like it or not, a direct response to their losing the Chapterhouse studios court case a few years back.  Elves, Dwarfs and Orcs are all too generic for them to call their own IP hence the diversification into Fyreslayers, DoK etc.  I really really doubt you will ever see a generic Elf or Dwarf list ever again.  This makes me sad.

My personal theory is that the renaming was at least in part to help with search engines and hashtags. I know when Thor 2 came out Warhammer Malekith didn't show up for like 4 pages if you searched Malekith on google.

More on subject, I would honesty recommend to any new player that they avoid armies that don't have battletomes unless they are just hellbent on playing a certain faction.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yokai said:

GW can't add new factions and armies in all perpetuity, it will become unmanageable. Some old stuff have to go sooner or later. Such is life.

This is definelty true, but some honesty and clarity would be nice. The greenskinz warboss got a community article about how cool he was a few weeks before he and all his compadres were erased from the website and relegated to legends status, I wonder if anyone bought a greenskinz box thinking it was a start of a fun new army for them?

Put the stuff to be squatted on last chance to buy and be done with it, at least people would know what they were buying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

57 minutes ago, Luke82 said:

This is definelty true, but some honesty and clarity would be nice. The greenskinz warboss got a community article about how cool he was a few weeks before he and all his compadres were erased from the website and relegated to legends status, I wonder if anyone bought a greenskinz box thinking it was a start of a fun new army for them?

Put the stuff to be squatted on last chance to buy and be done with it, at least people would know what they were buying.

I personally am all for the removal of greenskinz and gitmob. I collect destruction and am happy to place my focus on IJ, BS, and GS. 

However, the handling of their removal was misleading, dishonest, and a terrible decision imo. Last ditch efforts to push products to clear out inventory is disgusting. I am already a GW lifer so my purchasing patterns will not alter. But I have stopped recommending AOS to friends for the time being (I am also disenfranchised by the disparity between AOS1 and AOS2 books, I'm not screaming powercreep but rather want GW to pump out AOS2 books quickly which I think are great.). How awful is it to grab a start collecting box then to be told that army will not be supported in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm fairly certain ogres and orcs will go the way of beastmen and have all the models incorporated under a unifying title.  In a sense, the current iterations could be next to "go".  Ogres separated as they are now don't really make sense to me and the name Gutbusters is pretty dumb. 

• Like 1

I'd more expect Gutbusters and Beastclaw Raiders to merge since Beastclaws basically rely on only 3 or 4 kits and share the very same visual design as Gutbusters. A very easy and simple merge and yet within the Battletome they can put an option for taking an army with battle line snowbeasts to represent the raiders. 

That would then let GW merge or stand alone the two remaining ork factions. 

22 minutes ago, Overread said:

I'd more expect Gutbusters and Beastclaw Raiders to merge since Beastclaws basically rely on only 3 or 4 kits and share the very same visual design as Gutbusters. A very easy and simple merge and yet within the Battletome they can put an option for taking an army with battle line snowbeasts to represent the raiders. 

That would then let GW merge or stand alone the two remaining ork factions. 

I would welcome it wholeheartedly. I've read the opinions of many BCR who would be opposed to it however. I sort of get the desire for autonomy, but as I see it, as long as such a book provides fluffy army building options that lets you run them as they were before then it's no problemo.

35 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

I'm hoping Stormcast get axed eventually, but probably won't happen.

It is the only army that I dislike in AOS and it is confounded by the special treatment they get from GW but I wouldn't want to see them squatted.

I don't want any further armies to get axed. It's an awful feeling for anyone to see their collection be pushed aside into legends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, uk_unbeliever said:

Have greenskinz gone already? One of my many half done projects was an all mounted orc army- the boarboyz models are really good but were rubbish in game so the project went on hold 😕

The models are all gone from the site, and a legends PDF has been put out, who knows if they’ll get update points in the new GH19? I suspect not. I guess you can still use the old points forever, I doubt anyone will accuse you of gaming the system if you’re running greenskinz!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, uk_unbeliever said:

Have greenskinz gone already? One of my many half done projects was an all mounted orc army- the boarboyz models are really good but were rubbish in game so the project went on hold 😕

I’m not sure there was ever an official announcement ( that’s the problem ) but I think they are gone completely from sale.

However as long as they have a warscroll and points in the GH they are match play legal and will always be narrative/open play legal.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, flemingmma said:

Whatever happens to the dark elves, the scourge privateer box isn't going anywhere gw seems to love those chaps

When GW decided they wanted an army of nautical elves, I wonder how close they came toexpanding out the Scourge Privateers before deciding to go the IDK route.

18 hours ago, Charleston said:

Dispossesed are the only faction that is at rather high risk of getting squatted as they have only a few kits and up to now a very weak rule support.

Yet two of the available kits are quite new (Irondrakes/Ironbreakers and Hammerers/Longbeards) looking and the Dispossesed Warriors Kit had even a rebox for AoS with new Base, which is quite a good sign. Only Thunderers and Quarellers are a quite odd looking WHFB remainer looking from todays design perspective. Therefore the Range is actually a great base to flesh them out into a bigger faction. Btw, looking through the Warscrolls they look pretty interesting to play.

Personally I think the Dispossessed are due for the guillotine at some point.  I don't think their reboxing is a great indicator - Grenskins had a Start Collecting and look what happened to them

4 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

Personally I think the Dispossessed are due for the guillotine at some point.  I don't think their reboxing is a great indicator - Grenskins had a Start Collecting and look what happened to them

A start collecting they got literally when AoS was released so I don't think that's any indicator. Greenskins had no separate boxes packed with rounds and AoS branding, Dispossessed have several such boxes.  

On Dispossessed matter, I'll also add that we got a lot of scenery based on Dispo units during Gloomspite release, and a minor teasing from Skaven Battletome.

Therefore I don't think we're getting squatted anytime soon. That would be a very strange move coming from GW.

Or maybe I'm trying to reassure myself... :/

• Like 2