Which Faction is next on the Chopping Block?

7 hours ago, Toddy said:

Everything canned since AoS started (Bretonia, Tomb Kings, Gitmob Grots, Greenskinz) have been old kits

TK had in 8th edition plastic Tomb Guard, newly sculpted ushabiti, the sphinx dual kit, the tomb stalker dual kit, and a few characters (there was the scarab prince, and then the generic whip guy).

Thats a pretty good number. And many of these aren't tiny models either.

I think the TK problem was a legal issue? Didn't one of the sculptors for TK left GW? Or was that a rumor? I mean yeas there was also the "big head" scale issue that they couldnt get away from.

(also not to mention Nagash and Arkhan still look pretty darn Tomb Kingy since you know....they are from the TK!)

And as much as I like old dwarfs, if Flesh Eater Courts who have had 2 books got 1 new model (not counting the terrain+Endless Spells) what chance do Dispossessed have? Or the myriad number of Skaven models that still only officially have metal/resin models?

2 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

TK had in 8th edition plastic Tomb Guard, newly sculpted ushabiti, the sphinx dual kit, the tomb stalker dual kit, and a few characters (there was the scarab prince, and then the generic whip guy).

Thats a pretty good number. And many of these aren't tiny models either.

I think the TK problem was a legal issue? Didn't one of the sculptors for TK left GW? Or was that a rumor? I mean yeas there was also the "big head" scale issue that they couldnt get away from.

(also not to mention Nagash and Arkhan still look pretty darn Tomb Kingy since you know....they are from the TK!)

And as much as I like old dwarfs, if Flesh Eater Courts who have had 2 books got 1 new model (not counting the terrain+Endless Spells) what chance do Dispossessed have? Or the myriad number of Skaven models that still only officially have metal/resin models?

That's true, perhaps for Tomb Kings it was simply poor sales (as a gamer at the time, I seem to remember they were not very popular)? Or perhaps GW didn't think they wanted to support two skeleton based armies?

Do you mean what chance do the dispossessed have of getting a new battletome? Pretty good I reckon, they are mainly new kits that came out shortly before the end times. Since GW plans everything years in advance, that suggests to me that they were designed with AoS in mind . They have allegiance abilities in the general's handbook (so the rules team have already invested time and therefore money in them). The only glaring omission from the range is probably a big centerpiece model. Fingers crossed for Golems or a big tunneling machine!

12 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

You mean model  or battletome wise?

because the chance that army is getting the battletome treatment the skaven got is high.

As for model update i could see a possibility that we might get one after more or less all the battletomes have been brought out for the different existing armies.

have a look at 40k where the chaos space marines just got that kind of update for their modelrange.

13 minutes ago, Toddy said:

Do you mean what chance do the dispossessed have of getting a new battletome?

I think Dispossessed getting a book isn't too far fetched, I made a whole topic on this matter that the official AoS website may in fact have been a crystal ball all along. (Though Gutbusters is an interesting one)

But I would really temper any expectation of  a whole slew of new models. The main problem stems from the darn Malign Portents herald issue. So far in 2.0 if you didnt get a herald, you will get very few models (other than the Endless Spells/Terrain).

I mean BoK was already pretty complete so no issues there, but FEC/Fyreslayers have a small model pool, and Skaven/BoC suffer from a lot of legacy models (man how old are those Centigor models at this point?)

Yes there is also Slaanesh but Daemons break the rule since they're also 40k models. RIght now the concern is the mortal side of slaanesh.

1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

have a look at 40k where the chaos space marines just got that kind of update for their modelrange.

To be fair it was about time! The original CSM plastic kit one of the oldest chaos kits (circa 2004 or something?). And Havocs had been metal/resin for far too long.

Edited by kenshin620

4 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

But I would really temper any expectation of  a whole slew of new models.

I agree 🙂

I don't think they really need many. I do think there is a chance for a centerpiece though, given that GW seem to want there to be at least one in every range and the Dispossessed are one of the few without one.

Just now, Toddy said:

I agree 🙂

I don't think they really need many. I do think there is a chance for a centerpiece though, given that GW seem to want there to be at least one in every range and the Dispossessed are one of the few without one.

I want this

Spoiler

99810205008_HighKingThorgrimGrudgebearer

But the size of the chaos warshrine!

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Gitmobz problem was it had 3 plastic kits, two of which were ancient and the rest of the army was resin.

Greenskinz had barely any units and those were all old save the Boar riders.

Tomb Kings just never sold well and had a range that was mostly old. Its odd that they never made a mini faction ala FEC with the newest plastics but from a buisness sense all the data suggested it would still sell bad*

Brettonians had old models and the awkward situation of "You can buy this army at 1/3rd the price from any historical company"

*Realistically the reason they undersell is GWs fault.

7 hours ago, Jetengine said:

Gitmobz problem was it had 3 plastic kits, two of which were ancient and the rest of the army was resin.

Greenskinz had barely any units and those were all old save the Boar riders.

Tomb Kings just never sold well and had a range that was mostly old. Its odd that they never made a mini faction ala FEC with the newest plastics but from a buisness sense all the data suggested it would still sell bad*

Brettonians had old models and the awkward situation of "You can buy this army at 1/3rd the price from any historical company"

*Realistically the reason they undersell is GWs fault.

I wouldnt take Tk And Brets into account tho. Their cut was done on a previous manegement. With the Rules TK had at the begining  of AoS i am pretty sure they would be popular in the setting.

8 hours ago, Jetengine said:

Tomb Kings... Its odd that they never made a mini faction ala FEC with the newest plastics...

I have spent three years wondering the same thing. The previous management truly threw out the baby with the bathwater.

It's surreal seeing those beautiful out-of-production Necrosphinxes, Sepulchral Stalkers and even the Finecast Ushabti on eBay for hundreds of dollars each, while Gorgers, Fell Bats, Centigors, Vargulfs, Furies (etc.) remain in production.

Sphinxes (x3), Ushabti (x2), Snakes (x2), Tomb Guard and a few characters would have been a nice little GHB faction :(

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I have spent three years wondering the same thing. The previous management truly threw out the baby with the bathwater.

It's surreal seeing those beautiful out-of-production Necrosphinxes, Sepulchral Stalkers and even the Finecast Ushabti on eBay for hundreds of dollars each, while Gorgers, Fell Bats, Centigors, Vargulfs, Furies (etc.) remain in production.

Sphinxes (x3), Ushabti (x2), Snakes (x2), Tomb Guard and a few characters would have been a nice little GHB faction :(

I didn't come to the game until AOS so seeing those sepulchral stalkers for the first time I must admit they are very cool. Some of their masks plus their hunched posture reminds me of the design themes of bladegheist revenants. 

Edited by Nighthaunt Noob

Elves (I refuse to say Aelf) are in a weird spot, not counting DoK.

Light and Shadow Elves seem like direct replacements to High and Dark Elves, at least in concept.

You could maybe soup them into a 'Free Cities' battle tome but that seems like an afterthought to me. Like oh hey we recognise you spent thousands of dollars on these models during WHFB and we technically 'support' them so here have some new rules for now...until we eventually squat them because we don't want to make an updated High Elf or Dark Elf line.

So I think eventually the old Elves will end up getting the Tomb Kings treatment. But hey at least your painted models will always look cool?

Edited by 123lac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 123lac said:

Elves (I refuse to say Aelf) are in a weird spot, not counting DoK.

Light and Shadow Elves seem like direct replacements to High and Dark Elves, at least in concept.

You could maybe soup them into a 'Free Cities' battle tome but that seems like an afterthought to me. Like oh hey we recognise you spent thousands of dollars on these models during WHFB and we technically 'support' them so here have some new rules for now...until we eventually squat them because we don't want to make an updated High Elf or Dark Elf line.

So I think eventually the old Elves will end up getting the Tomb Kings treatment. But hey at least your painted models will always look cool?

I disgree, the combined aelf tome has been hinted at and effectively part of the lore since day 1 (as all the old aelf stuff has revolved around the free cities since the begining) and they were even included in a faction focus. 

Wanderers are featured alot in the lore, and have GHB allegiance abilities (and so are very unlikely to be squated).

the other aelves are heavily involved with the free cities/free peoples and have atlest some very dynamic models. time will tell but I doubt we will see a complete squating of the old high-dark aelves (its more likely in my opinion for them to be merged into a city aelf army with their eventual updated models haveing no distinction between light and dark aelves). while we will definitely see shadow and light aelves and wanderers either by themselves or reabsorbed into sylvaneth, the most commonly mention aelves in the lore so far are generic free city aelves (that pop up everywhere and are fairly numerous). sub-factions of the free city aelves might be squated/replaced/absorbed into another faction, but as an army I think we will see 5 aelf armies (shadow, light, deepkin, DoK and free city)

But i seriously doubt they will squat any army they weaved into the lore. brets, TK and greenskins/gitmob were not really (if at all) in the lore and never had allegiance abilities.

• Like 1

We will see, if the next GHB adds/keeps the allegiance abilities the same then they should be safe while if they remove them then they will be squated.

IF we see a battle tome then they are 100% safe from squating as GW won't go to the time and effort of writing the lore and rules for a battle tome if they plan on squating the facttion

aditionaly when the shadow/light aelf tomes come out we will see hints of whether the other aelves will be squated.

On 4/1/2019 at 6:31 PM, Turin Turambar said:

Swifthawks still have 2 dynamic kits and the chariot, so if they are going it will most likely be absorbed into another aelf faction. I wouldn't be suprised if they (and lion rangers) are absorbed by the wanderers as both swifthawks and wanderers are archer heavy (and share a kit) while both wanderers and lion rangers are nomadic aelves (plus swifthawk and lion rangers share a chariot kit).

I also wouldn't be suprised if they absorbed the 4 factions with dragons into one duel faction (the noble side and the less noble side) and swifthawks may be added to them.

I also wouldn't be suprised if the current 2 swifthawk dynamic kits are absorbed into hysh aelves as the lore for aelves in hysh so far have them live on flouting islands in the sky (so a flying chariot would make sense)

plus there is always the possibility of a combined aelf tome (which will probably also include the combining of subfactions)

Boy do I want lion rangers and swifthawks to be part of the Wanderers... Great theory, I hope you're right! My precious Woodies need some love. If they get integrated into Sylvaneth, I swear... I mean, I like Sylvaneth as much as your next Sylvaneth fanatic, but I also realize that they are literally just an expansion of 4 models. FOUR MODELS. Dryads, Treemen, Branchwraith, and Durthu. Bam, they even left out Treekin... And despite all this, I can't bring myself to not love them, haha. Back to the angry rant. Excluding named characters, Wanderers, a non-battletome faction, have MORE models than Sylvaneth, a mainline Battletome faction. Even when you add the Named Characters back in, Wanderers has an equal amount of units. Also, that's not even including the models that didn't make the cut to Wanderers. That's 15 warscrolls people. 15 warscrolls! A literal WARSCROLL COMPENDIUM has 4 more units than those who made the cut to Wanderers, AND 4 more than a mainline faction. Ahem, please do forgive the rant. I feel strongly about this subject.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AthelLoren said:

Boy do I want lion rangers and swifthawks to be part of the Wanderers... Great theory, I hope you're right! My precious Woodies need some love. If they get integrated into Sylvaneth, I swear... I mean, I like Sylvaneth as much as your next Sylvaneth fanatic, but I also realize that they are literally just an expansion of 4 models. FOUR MODELS. Dryads, Treemen, Branchwraith, and Durthu. Bam, they even left out Treekin... And despite all this, I can't bring myself to not love them, haha. Back to the angry rant. Excluding named characters, Wanderers, a non-battletome faction, have MORE models than Sylvaneth, a mainline Battletome faction. Even when you add the Named Characters back in, Wanderers has an equal amount of units. Also, that's not even including the models that didn't make the cut to Wanderers. That's 15 warscrolls people. 15 warscrolls! A literal WARSCROLL COMPENDIUM has 4 more units than those who made the cut to Wanderers, AND 4 more than a mainline faction. Ahem, please do forgive the rant. I feel strongly about this subject.

As a High Elf player, i just want our sisters of the watch back 😉.

I see a lot of potential for Wanderers and i hope we are not "souped".

I wanna see a full release for Wanderers, with a lot if cool heroes and beasts!

• Like 2

I hope the Aelves remained as a single soup faction as i think 5 Aelven factions are too many.  That said I do notice lots of redundancy between the old high elves and dark elves units.  Some of them got to be transferred to the Tyrion and Malerion factions.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, Toddy said:

I agree 🙂

The biggest conundrum to us dispossessed players now is what direction they will take with us. Compared to Fyreslayers and KO it looks as though we are primarily going to be the dwarf horde infantry army. At first I thought they might take a prayers route with the Runelords but it looks like Fyreslayers are taking that now. I can forsee us having subfaction karaks like how the KO and Fyreslayers have but what our core 'schtick' will be compared to KO and Fyreslayers now I don't know. What (if any) type of centrepiece model we will get is also quite up in the air, they might not even do one and just add in a new unit that can affect a good portion of the army, a bit like what sneaky snufflers for Gloomspite did.

Edited by Zadolix
Typos

1 hour ago, Zadolix said:

The biggest conundrum to us dispossessed players now is what direction they will take with us.

Whilst we still have only scraps of info, if Fyreslayers do become more of an elite army with possibly smaller units and access to some 'prayers', are you as a dispossessed player more inclined to find a place for them in your army as allies now?

48 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Whilst we still have only scraps of info, if Fyreslayers do become more of an elite army with possibly smaller units and access to some 'prayers', are you as a dispossessed player more inclined to find a place for them in your army as allies now?

Not really, mainly because lore wise they are two very different types of Duardin and not like the slayers of old who were cast outs of the dwarf community trying to redeem themselves through death. For me it's a lore and aesthetic preference to not use them rather than a game mechanics one. I'd like to see the dispossessed army be able to stand on it's own two feet like KO and Fyreslayers without having to bring in allies.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Zadolix said:

Not really, mainly because lore wise they are two very different types of Duardin and not like the slayers of old who were cast outs of the dwarf community trying to redeem themselves through death. For me it's a lore and aesthetic preference to not use them rather than a game mechanics one. I'd like to see the dispossessed army be able to stand on it's own two feet like KO and Fyreslayers without having to bring in allies.

This. Exactly this IMO.

Just give us a battletome, bring back artillery and Gyros, eventually a behemoth style unit (Golems ?!) and let's rock...

That's all we need I think.

• Like 7

Hey Thiagoma, if it were up to me, I'd gladly trade Sisters of the Watch for everything else on the list. I'm relatively new, so it feels nice to be noticed, eh? Also, anyone else notice that Alarielle was High Elf everqueen, and Ariel was WE everqueen, and yet he Sylvaneth get Alarielle and not Ariel? I kinda want blue skinned fairy queen back. Kinda.

4 hours ago, AthelLoren said:

Hey Thiagoma, if it were up to me, I'd gladly trade Sisters of the Watch for everything else on the list. I'm relatively new, so it feels nice to be noticed, eh? Also, anyone else notice that Alarielle was High Elf everqueen, and Ariel was WE everqueen, and yet he Sylvaneth get Alarielle and not Ariel? I kinda want blue skinned fairy queen back. Kinda.

Did Ariel and Alarielle not have merged during end times?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JPjr said:

are you as a dispossessed player more inclined to find a place for them in your army as allies now?

A lot of us would much prefer to ally Free People &co then other duardin.

Lorewise make more sense. 

Fyreslayers are kinda close to the Azyr duardin empire but work for chaos and other enemy is worth a BIG grudge. KO are straight up traitors, for me. The lore is kinda loose about them and dispossessed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Furuzzolo said:

A lot of us would much prefer to ally Free People &co then other duardin.

Lorewise make more sense. 

Fyreslayers are kinda close to the Azyr duardin empire but work for chaos and other enemy is worth a BIG grudge. KO are straight up traitors, for me. The lore is kinda loose about them and dispossessed.

Insert "Thank you" GIF.

• Like 1