Hoping for Hyishian elves reveal at Adepticon

2 hours ago, King Taloren said:

That’s the guardian from Zelda: Breath of Wild. Big mech almost like a small Mass Effect Reaper. Really nasty piece to fight.

Until you get the Master Sword...

On topic I’m pretty much certain at this point we’re not going to get any more Aelves until 3.0. Not as new factions.

The Release (actual or impending) of Slaanesh for real and the mustering of Aelven kind to restrain it will be the new Soul Wars, thought as much for ages. Its a great way to encourage new and existing players alike to get involved in the story, give everyone  something completely new. Everyone will be a bit jaded with Sigmar and Nagash taking the spotlight for two years, so completely different personalities represented by completely different armies and models is the obvious way to go. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s Malerion Aelves facing off against a new form of Slaaneshi Aelven race or something.

That’s  why I knew Slaanesh was never going to be released any time soon and predicted the sort of “Seekers” tome thats just been previewed. Got to keep up the interest in the long teased Slaanesh plot without the big denouement of actually releasing Slaanesh? Easy fix.

@Nos I think you're wrong - I can't see GW spinning out releasing new armies into AoS 3.0. Sure it would be very cinematic, but honestly I think that the new Aelves will becoming far sooner. It just makes far more sense for GW to get AoS up to date and running as a single unit within 2.0. They've already stetched out its launch from its early days far longer than it should have. Heck AoS 2.0 is almost akin to a 1.0 release. 

It would make far more sense to complete AoS faction wise for all the hinted and core factions they've announced  and then carry all that forward into a 3.0 release. 

I really don’t see a 3.0 for about four-five or more years down the line. 

The main reason for the 2.0 release was to clean up a lot of the mess they had made in 1.0. And though there is some places to tighten up the rule set is fairly solid as is right now. 

Soul wars will probably conclude around end of year or around this time next year with one more expansion release and then we will kick in with another event. Fairly certain we will see at least one new elf faction this year but probably toward November since they are hinting Sylvaneth and already revealed Fyreslayers and Slaanesh.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

@Nos I think you're wrong - I can't see GW spinning out releasing new armies into AoS 3.0. Sure it would be very cinematic, but honestly I think that the new Aelves will becoming far sooner. It just makes far more sense for GW to get AoS up to date and running as a single unit within 2.0. They've already stetched out its launch from its early days far longer than it should have. Heck AoS 2.0 is almost akin to a 1.0 release. 

It would make far more sense to complete AoS faction wise for all the hinted and core factions they've announced  and then carry all that forward into a 3.0 release. 

My theory has been spot on so far so I’m not budgin’

What exactly do you think they’re going to do when 3.0 comes? Here’s some rules, you’ve got all the armies guys, have fun! Unless they’re intending on going out of business they’re going to be releasing new factions forever.

2 hours ago, Nos said:

My theory has been spot on so far so I’m not budgin’

What exactly do you think they’re going to do when 3.0 comes? Here’s some rules, you’ve got all the armies guys, have fun! Unless they’re intending on going out of business they’re going to be releasing new factions forever.

The thing is new armies don't need a huge story event. Idoneth was big but didn't really line up to any major story event, same for Custodes and Genstealer Cults. GW doesn't need a bit lore event to release a new army or to update an old one in any way. 

As for more Aelves in 2.0 my impression is that GW will update AoS to a fully functional game in the same way they have with 40K. This means that they've got to update the current Aelf listings and also likely get the two armies they've teased about for ages out (or at least one of them). They don't need a big story event for this - they just need to release them. 

As for what will come in 3.0 - well lets face it they don't "need" new armies for those releases, they never have. Updating the rules alone is a huge step forward and there are legions of legacy models to update (Skaven say hi!) as well as adding new new models. Just like what they are doing now with Chaos for 40K. 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

The thing is new armies don't need a huge story event. Idoneth was big but didn't really line up to any major story event, same for Custodes and Genstealer Cults. GW doesn't need a bit lore event to release a new army or to update an old one in any way. 

As for more Aelves in 2.0 my impression is that GW will update AoS to a fully functional game in the same way they have with 40K. This means that they've got to update the current Aelf listings and also likely get the two armies they've teased about for ages out (or at least one of them). They don't need a big story event for this - they just need to release them. 

As for what will come in 3.0 - well lets face it they don't "need" new armies for those releases, they never have. Updating the rules alone is a huge step forward and there are legions of legacy models to update (Skaven say hi!) as well as adding new new models. Just like what they are doing now with Chaos for 40K. 

Slaanesh and Malerion will absolutely be part of a big narrative event because they’re a big part of the narrative. And the release of the quasi Slaanesh faction as I predicted means Slaanesh definitely has to get a big event because “Slaanesh is free” has to be a bigger deal than “Slaanesh is getting closer to be free”.

Slaanesh has been kept under wraps not just in AOS but within GW itself because they’ve clearly not been sure how to “do” the faction and confront some of its more problematic aspects for years now. They simply aren’t going to just pop it out one weekend.

You've decided AOS 2.0 is going to mirror 40k with everyone getting a tome but you have no idea is the truth of it and it’s not something GW has ever said, It’s total guess work. I mean sure if makes sense but so do lots of theories, it dosent make them correct, They’re different systems at different stages of development in respect to their history, community etc. 

Of course they need new armies. There’s always been new armies in Warhammer and 40k per edition, There’s no reason what so ever to think AOS will be any different.  New editions drive sales and increase uptake in the hobby massively, a hobby in which stagnancy is lethal, and for that reason I think it’s naive to assume they’re going to wait til everything is nice and neat in 2.0 before they release the next edition. 

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

He's just sleeping - sshh don't wake him up.

Sleeping? That Alef is dead, deceased, it has joined the choir invisible, this is a dead Alef.

For the most though the new 40k armies aren’t really new. They have been in the lore for years just never fully represented in an actual army. Or fleshed  he’s out in a couple of cases. 

Ad Mech and Custodes appeared in Black Library.

7 hours ago, King Taloren said:

Sleeping? That Alef is dead, deceased, it has joined the choir invisible, this is a dead Alef.

For the most though the new 40k armies aren’t really new. They have been in the lore for years just never fully represented in an actual army. Or fleshed  he’s out in a couple of cases. 

Ad Mech and Custodes appeared in Black Library.

They’re new armies though from the stand point of gaming and collecting, which was the context of the discussion. The lore of both systems is very rich and goes back decades of course but the thing that drives new editions is evolving that within the games themselves and representing it via the tabletop.

Within both Warhammer and 40k a good deal of  Innovation came in constantly re-releasing factions, but that was because both evolved over decades and had considerable difference in respect to their development which required constant tweaking in respect to scale, aesthetic etc.  AOS has nothing like those kind of issues comparatively speaking. 

Archived