Rules (ish?) questions

Vextol

I was going to post this in the rules section but I don't know if it's really a solvable rules discussion.

1.  Can you decide not to place a unit on your list, essentially killing it, so you can go first?

2.  If you're mostly deployed off the board and all your stuff on the board gets killed, are you dead?  Talking matched play.

Example: Celestant Prime and a BIG unit of Judicators are deployed off the board.  Small unit of liberators on the board.  That unit gets killed turn 1.  Am I stuck in the heavens?

3.  What counts as terrain?  I know the question is easy if you only use GW terrain but we all use a whole bunch of stuff.  Mountains?  A Tree?  A Big rock that has another big rock that forms a bridge with another big rock?  A river?  Some units (Heraldor in the SCE for example) rely heavily on this information. 

I'm a fan of going with anything typically 'made' via critter intervention or anything that is/was alive that's taller than an average dude.

How does everyone else handle this?

36 minutes ago, Vextol said:

I was going to post this in the rules section but I don't know if it's really a solvable rules discussion.

1.  Can you decide not to place a unit on your list, essentially killing it, so you can go first?

2.  If you're mostly deployed off the board and all your stuff on the board gets killed, are you dead?  Talking matched play.

Example: Celestant Prime and a BIG unit of Judicators are deployed off the board.  Small unit of liberators on the board.  That unit gets killed turn 1.  Am I stuck in the heavens?

3.  What counts as terrain?  I know the question is easy if you only use GW terrain but we all use a whole bunch of stuff.  Mountains?  A Tree?  A Big rock that has another big rock that forms a bridge with another big rock?  A river?  Some units (Heraldor in the SCE for example) rely heavily on this information. 

I'm a fan of going with anything typically 'made' via critter intervention or anything that is/was alive that's taller than an average dude.

How does everyone else handle this?

1) That's an odd question, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. The rules state that you alternate setting up units until all units are deployed, and in Matched Play that means all the units in your list. How units are set up is described in the core rules and sometimes on the Warscroll or Battletome if there's alternate ways, and "electing not to set them up" is not an option. Warhammer is a permissive ruleset.

2) No, there are no rule for tabling. You play the turns out, and then Victory or Defeat is described in the mission rules. You could get tabled on Turn 3 and still win in some missions.

In your example, I assume you're guessing something like the 40k rules for being tabled, where units in reserve don't count, but that's not how it works in AoS. In fact, some armies can start with no units set up on the table at all.

3) Check out pages 227 and 235 in the Core Book for Terrain. Scenery is set up on the board as part of the pre-game setup, and those pieces of scenery are terrain.  Anything with a warscroll (General's Handbook 90) uses the rules of that warscroll, otherwise you use the random Scenery table on 235. Events you go to may have different rules for this, and always discuss with your opponent beforehand, but that's the definition in the book.

5 minutes ago, Requizen said:

1) That's an odd question, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. The rules state that you alternate setting up units until all units are deployed, and in Matched Play that means all the units in your list. How units are set up is described in the core rules and sometimes on the Warscroll or Battletome if there's alternate ways, and "electing not to set them up" is not an option. Warhammer is a permissive ruleset.

2) No, there are no rule for tabling. You play the turns out, and then Victory or Defeat is described in the mission rules. You could get tabled on Turn 3 and still win in some missions.

In your example, I assume you're guessing something like the 40k rules for being tabled, where units in reserve don't count, but that's not how it works in AoS. In fact, some armies can start with no units set up on the table at all.

3) Check out pages 227 and 235 in the Core Book for Terrain. Scenery is set up on the board as part of the pre-game setup, and those pieces of scenery are terrain.  Anything with a warscroll (General's Handbook 90) uses the rules of that warscroll, otherwise you use the random Scenery table on 235. Events you go to may have different rules for this, and always discuss with your opponent beforehand, but that's the definition in the book.

Thanks for the response!

1. Guessing you have experience in this area.  I have never heard the "If it's in your list, it's a must take" rule in regards to matched play.  I don't have a preference, it was just a curiosity.

2. Yeah.  I couldn't find it in the core rules but I was just so sure I'd seen it somewhere.  I've never played 40k or even read a warscroll from there so I can tell you I'm all sigmar on my interpretations.

3. I know the rules for specific/nonspecific scenery.  I was was curious what everyone constituted as scenery.  Are you playing that anything that goes on the board is scenery?  So a big rock or a hill is all considered scenery?

Archived