For how long can you keep your armylist secret?

gronnelg

12 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

.  It is also not my responsibility to explain how most of those units can buff the stabbas and drastically increase their combat ability

This.

By even highlight for your opponent that you've taken several stabba boosting units, you are handfeeding them something of a plan that they might not have come to with. 

Show them your cards. Answer data questions. Don't say "Four of my units can boost one of the others" even though it's true, that's beyond just providing the rules reference.

15 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Understanding how enemy armies play is absolutely part of the preparation that people should do before a tournament ...

Yes. Very yes. Much yes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it is very useful to do the exact opposite, but that's just my preference, and works because, I've been told, I've got a smug face. I don't personally think that has anything to do with it, but hey. 

I go out of my way to explain exactly where my combos lie, what units buff what units, and whether things I have have the capability to reach certain parts of the board in one turn, or one-shot heroes at a distance, etc. Complete transparancy. 

No need to surprise anyone when they know exactly where your threats lie, and deploy/play accordingly, so you already know where their focus is, how they'll play, what they'll want to do to counter you. A predictable opponent is a beatable opponent, nevermind that they're predictable because you gave them the complete, utterly terrifying picture of what your army is capable of doing (this is where explaining how loonsmasha fanatics work to your opponent pre-game pretty much guarantees he'll steer way clear of your big stabba unit). Nevermind what it will actually do :D That's the closest I'll get to deception. More of a mindgame? Eh. You get the idea. 

Transparancy can be as useful a tool as trying to keep your plans secret, in my experience. Doesn't mean its the superior path, mind you. Just sharing for the sake of perspective.

Archived