Old Fantasy Skaven player looking to update to AoS and a little lost.

TradeMark

Hope I posted in the correct location. Essentially I use to play skaven back in the day, saw recent update for AoS so figured I would jump in. Asked some friends for help reaquanting to the game, he looked at book and said ask people online because they didn’t know.

So here I am and here is some questions.

So the battle traits, it’s 2 pages long, do I really just have all of them? Depending on the units I know, but provided I have each unit I just walk away with 10 traits?

command traits. Do I only pick one for the whole army or would a hero from each clan have one? Like a plague priest would have “diseased” trait while at the same time a Eshin hero have “shadowmaster”. 

Same question for the Artifacts of Power?

The spell lore, how do I get one of the book tells me what spells they know? 

Again since it started as a fantasy army I have a bunch of different units. But now they all belong to different clans. Can I run them together?  What would I gain by not mixing clans? 

Thank you. Hope I followed the rules as I understood them.

So the new name for Skaven is Skaventide, as they all have that keyword. Most list are best to run a mixed skaven force since they made it that if you want to run say a full Eshin army, your general would have to be a Master Clan or Eshin general, and then the whole army would have to be Eshin as well. I know that's only addressing one of your questions, but welcome back! May your rats be many 😃

You get to pick one command "trait" (with some restrictions based on the book) for your general.  You get one artifact for free that you can put on any applicable hero.  You can get another artifact for each battalion you take in your list.  Spell lore is in your battletome. What you can run together is in your battletome.  Sounds like you need ....the BATTLETOME!

8 minutes ago, TradeMark said:

Hope I posted in the correct location. Essentially I use to play skaven back in the day, saw recent update for AoS so figured I would jump in. Asked some friends for help reaquanting to the game, he looked at book and said ask people online because they didn’t know.

So here I am and here is some questions.

So the battle traits, it’s 2 pages long, do I really just have all of them? Depending on the units I know, but provided I have each unit I just walk away with 10 traits?

command traits. Do I only pick one for the whole army or would a hero from each clan have one? Like a plague priest would have “diseased” trait while at the same time a Eshin hero have “shadowmaster”. 

Same question for the Artifacts of Power?

The spell lore, how do I get one of the book tells me what spells they know? 

Again since it started as a fantasy army I have a bunch of different units. But now they all belong to different clans. Can I run them together?  What would I gain by not mixing clans? 

Thank you. Hope I followed the rules as I understood them.

1. Yes your armie will benefit from all the allegiance traits, if you have the units and hero’s required to use them.

2. You can only pick 1commandtrait, which is reserved for your general of the army, but should you ever take a few clalwords into your army, remember that they can each have a commandtrait.

3. You can usually only take one artefact per army.

Remeber that you can take additional artifacts for each battailon you take into your army.

4.in the Skaventide battletome you have been given 2spelllores.

one is reserved for only grey seer unit (Screaming bell, Thanqoul etc.) and the other for skyre wizards.

each wizard in your army (with the exceptions of the great Verminlords) can have 1spell of their own lores, either chosen or rolled

5. Running a mixed Skaven army isn’t a problem.

If you choose to mix them you’re battleline options would be  Stormvermins and clanrats.

The benefit you get by choosing a single clan (with the exception of Verminus) is that you can use units as battleline a that wouldn’t be if your army had any other units from other clans. 

For example go fully pestilence and you could take Plague monks and censors as battleline, as long as your whole army has the pearilence keyword (with the exception of your warlord who can also be from the Masterclan (meaning Thanqoul for example))

Welcome back back to the great Clans! 

A general point - many things in AoS work by Keywords, so abilities and traits and such reference specific key words which are summarise at the bottom of unit profiles. A unit can have multiple keywords and thus could be benefiting from more than one bonus. 

Also spell lords each mage comes with its own spells on its warscroll card itself - some list out just the basics (arcane bolt and shield) whilst others might have one or two unique spells that are listed in detail on their card. Then if you want to take spells from a spell lore there are two sources:

a) The Battletome for the army that you are fielding. So if you're fielding a skaven army you've got two spell lores listed within there and, depending on the wizard, you can pick from the relevant spell lore to get another spell. 

b) If you are using "realm rules" from the Malign Sorcery boxed set then the realm the battle is set in can give you another spell lore that is universale to all mages in both your army and your opponents. Note that this is is about the only way an allied mage from another faction can get additional spells; because as they won't have the right key words they can't use your Army Battletome spell lores (and the cannot use the one from their own army because they are not being fielded as part of that army). 

Each Skaven unit is now part of a Clan, you can easily take units from any clan and mix and match as you want and you'd be fielding a Skaventide army, where you'd have battleline units such as clan rats that you'd have to take a mimumum number of. However if you take units from only Clan Moulder then you can use special moulder units as battleline instead. The bonus is that a clan focused army might have greater internal synergy and play a specific style better than a mixed army or other army; however a mixed army might have more options and be more versatile. Partly its player preference and what you want to play as. 

I just want to add: while it is not required, picking up a copy of the General's Handbook is good. There it gives you all the army building restrictions like Battleline units and Leader requirements, as well as some solid missions. This is all in Matched Play, which is the usual standard of organization for games.

As well, the free Age of Sigmar smart phone app gives you the Core Rules and all the Warscrolls (good for looking up opponent's units).

And lastly...bases. Round bases aren't officially required, and some people don't care at all, but many tournaments and groups do, so you may have a MASSIVE project on your hands...

Either way, good luck! Skaven look awesome and this book can be awesome. The Gnaw Holes are a near mandatory purchase, as they are free with playing Skaven. The endless Spells are also good (the vortex is AMAZING...) so they are also worth the money to grab at some point.

Archived