Tome of a Thousand Poxes

Forrix

Question

Crossposting from the Maggotkin Thread:

Something I noticed when building a Thricefold Befoulement list. Tome of a Thousand Poxes adds +1 to cast for Lore of Nurgle Spells. The Lores of Nurgle (different spelling but intent seems clear) are defined in the battletome as being pages 66-67. This would exclude the spells on Nurgle unit warscrolls, most notably Plague Wind. From the interwebs though it seems most people apply the +1 to cast to Plague Wind. Is there something I'm missing?

I've checked the FAQ and Errata for Maggotkin and found nothing. Added bonus, for RAW since the Tome specifies "Lore of Nurgle" and there is technically no such thing ("Lores of Nurgle" in the Battletome) does the Tome of a Thousand Poxes not actually do anything?

I'm finishing up a Thricefold Befoulment list for a GT and want to make sure I'm not ****** anything up.

2 answers to this question

RAI it is most likely that it is supposed to work only on the main faction spells and not on the spells that are built in on the warscroll as it probably was supposed to be RAW if it specifically calls out Lore(s) of Nurgle spells.

People ruling it the other way may not be looking up the exact wording. Or there is something there I don’t know. Does anyone have the exact verbiage to post for clarity?

Tome of a Thousand Poxes:
If the bearer is a WIZARD, add 1 to the casting rolls for any spells from the Lore of Nurgle that they attempt to cast. If the bearer is not a WIZARD, they can attempt to cast the Sumptuous Pestilence spell (p.67) in each of your hero phases (they cannot unbind spells).

From The Lore of Nurgle page:
Each WIZARD in NURGLE army also knows one spell from one of the Lores of Nurgle. Depending on whether the Wizard is a ROTBRINGER, DAEMON or MORTAL, you must select the spell from the Lore of Malignance, Lore of Virulence or Lore of Foulness table respectively (if they qualify for more than one table, pick which one to use).

For me it looks that the Tome affects only one spell, that was chosen from one of the Lores. Neither base spells from core rules, nor own spells from caster warscroll cannot be affected by this artifact.

Archived