New Ironjawz on the block

Grimhack

Hello there,

Long time lurker, but got a little stuck on my Ironjawz and was wondering what suggestions you guys have.

I liked the look of the Ironjawz since their launch but didn't like the rules back then. That has changed though and I started on 500 points of the boys. 
I've currently painted the skin and armour but am at a loss about the weapons, do I use metallics or try NMM? Do I go for a completely different colour of weapon, like red or something bright?
Any suggestions are welcome!

Also if you guys have tips concerning bones, I'm also uncertain there... (Edit: thanks for the suggestions, I'll try some out if I have the paints, or equivalent, or just experiment and see where that leads me!)

Thanks guys!

IMG_20190317_153359.jpg

Edited by Grimhack
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Grimhack said:

Also if you guys have tips concerning bones, I'm also uncertain there...

For bone I use Flayed One Flesh for the base coat, then a wash of Seraphim Sepia, then back to Flayed one Flesh, wet-blending with Pallid Wych Flesh up to the highlights.

As for metals, I can't help on the NMM as I've never tried it.  I'm happy using the GW metallic paints.  I give my Ironjawz the rust treatment - base of Leadbelcher with an Agrax wash, then stipple some Typhus corrosion on top, dabs of Ryza Rust (not too much), then pick out the edges with Ironbreaker silver.  

Hope that helps.

NMM is a tough technique and will be slightly more difficult due to all of the bumps and ridges you have on the Iron Jawz weapons. I'm certainly no expert, but tried it on a Blood Warrior axe that had grooves in it and wished I hadn't 😬. That said it can look amazing if you have the time to do it across the whole army and would check out @Lysandestolpe's thread, which has some excellent tutorials on the technique doing just that.

For the bone you have lots of options. I usually do a simple Ushabti base (over white), shade Agrax, restablish the definition with Ushabti and then highlight with an off white (usually off white, or Elffic Flesh from Vallejo as I have those in my box). You can take it a lot further from there and I will often blend browns (Mournfang into Rhinox) at one end of large pieces, like that on the Mega Boss' shoulder, to add some additional visual interest. 

Looking great so far though and loving the blue and yellow scheme you've got going on!

Edited by Tzaangor Management

17 hours ago, Aelfric said:

For bone I use Flayed One Flesh for the base coat, then a wash of Seraphim Sepia, then back to Flayed one Flesh, wet-blending with Pallid Wych Flesh up to the highlights.

As for metals, I can't help on the NMM as I've never tried it.  I'm happy using the GW metallic paints.  I give my Ironjawz the rust treatment - base of Leadbelcher with an Agrax wash, then stipple some Typhus corrosion on top, dabs of Ryza Rust (not too much), then pick out the edges with Ironbreaker silver.  

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to try the bone out. The metal you put is similar to what I used to do with my ogre kingdoms with the addition of the technical paint. They weren't around yet back then but I have it and it does nice things indeed.

1 hour ago, Grimhack said:

@Tzaangor Management 

I've been following his thread for a while, he has some amazing stuff. The biggest reason I would try nmm on these guys is because I haven't been using metallic paints for a while now and the more practice the better. I'm just worried it won't look right with these models

Yeah, I know the feeling. I recently painted some Namarti Thralls and didn't want to use metals, for a slightly different reason, so painted the weapons black and then edge highlighted them with progressively lighter purples. The effect works fairly well and gives a sort of obsidian look.

Also, if you check out Mitzy, from the Mitzy and Jimbo show, on Twitter (@EATBATSmitzy), he has a similar scheme to yours with the blue and yellow and has gone for dirty metal on the weapons and armour plates, which might give you some context.

Edited by Tzaangor Management

@Tzaangor Management

My blues are a lot darker than his, but I love the bright colours he uses!

Small update, not much painting bit I participated in a small 500pts tournament in the local GW. Lost 2 games and won 1, learned some things and had fun!

I wanted to take some action pics but got caught up too much so can only give this one.

IMG_20190323_131904.jpg

• Like 2

@Mikecro

Thanks, I need to look up the name of the last layer but:

Start with Vallejo orange brown

Add Vallejo scrofulous brown to the centre

Glaze with Vallejo cavalry brown, focussing it to the edges

Carefully add black on the edges

Then I went back in with the scrofulous brown and a GW yellow that was really bright for really the centre.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, kaaras said:

Great scheme. Will look great when complete.

Thanks, it's also fun to do but I wish I could paint it faster than now though haha!

5 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Love the transitions in there. Great stuff! 

Can I ask what you used for the basing?

Thanks, I'll try to go over it:

First I start with a mix of treebark and sand, the bark as stones.

Then I used some flock, with some clump foilage on top of them.

Then added some leaves that I made with a punch, these didn't turn out like I wanted really but I'll learn and get there eventually.

The big plants are from cheap aquarium plants, I just cut them like I wanted and glued them on.

1 hour ago, Grimhack said:

Thanks, it's also fun to do but I wish I could paint it faster than now though haha!

Thanks, I'll try to go over it:

First I start with a mix of treebark and sand, the bark as stones.

Then I used some flock, with some clump foilage on top of them.

Then added some leaves that I made with a punch, these didn't turn out like I wanted really but I'll learn and get there eventually.

The big plants are from cheap aquarium plants, I just cut them like I wanted and glued them on.

Thanks! 

• 9 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, Grimhack said:

Also if you guys have tips concerning bones, I'm also uncertain there...

I've seem guides in the book say you can do Rakarth Flesh > Seraphim Sepia or Reikland Fleshshade > Pallid Wych Flesh

I personally love Zandri Dust > Agrax Earthshade > Ushabti Bone layer over and edge highlight with Screaming Skull..

Just looking at the faces, (yes it is a very close shot) but i think the contrast between skin and highlight is a little to much for the Brutes. maybe a glaze to tie the two together might tone that back a bit. Love the scheme and i think the blue for the cabbage is great. 

For bones, i start with grey (mechanicus) then a lighter grey, karak stone, seraphim sepia, ushabti bone. works for me.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:18 PM, Ravinsild said:

I've seem guides in the book say you can do Rakarth Flesh > Seraphim Sepia or Reikland Fleshshade > Pallid Wych Flesh

I personally love Zandri Dust > Agrax Earthshade > Ushabti Bone layer over and edge highlight with Screaming Skull..

Thanks, might give those a go on test models!

On 3/26/2020 at 11:00 AM, kaaras said:

Just looking at the faces, (yes it is a very close shot) but i think the contrast between skin and highlight is a little to much for the Brutes. maybe a glaze to tie the two together might tone that back a bit. Love the scheme and i think the blue for the cabbage is great. 

For bones, i start with grey (mechanicus) then a lighter grey, karak stone, seraphim sepia, ushabti bone. works for me.

I agree that it might be too stark of a contrast but for these orks ik find it works from a bit of distance

In other news, I finally finished the big guy!

IMG_20200329_185434_477.jpg

IMG_20200329_185434_452.jpg

• Like 2

Another quick update and paint job, man this lockdown is doing wonders for my paint work, and I might actually run out of ironjawz to paint!

A little bit different on this guy, first of I was too lazy to set up the lightbox but tried a white backdrop, kinda like it too.

Also, I painted the bones a bit darker and muted than my previous ones, still experimenting with it, thankfully they come with a lot of bones to practice on.

Let me know what you think!

received_2617344418498362.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting my own thread with an update. Since last post, some extras got painted and I participated in a tournament. The tournament went pretty rough for me, playing against 2 armies I didn't want to play against, and losing against them.

It was a mad dash to get 2000 points ready but we got there just in time and nicely managed to burn myself out with ironjawz for more than half a year by now.

1612843109_PC_07042022_200957(99).jpg.4d67cbf76f857ac12b519bfed30a5275.jpg

IMG20220410102535.jpg.8ea0f5c6ae6f22af33ea811fb4ce8224.jpgIMG20220410133124.jpg.8153408385f2412c348fef1f73a3afbb.jpgIMG20220410172359.jpg.264d2ef6bcd764e99db9cb1a7acbe03b.jpg

Edited by Grimhack
  • Like 1