What is your sweet spot for AoS Game size?

What is your sweet spot for AoS Game size?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. At what size do you enjoy your games of AoS the most?

• 500 and below
    • 750pts
    • 1000pts
    • 1250pts
    • 1500pts
    • 1750pts
    • 2000pts
    • 2250pts
    • 2500pts
    • 2750pts
    • 3000pts
    • 3500pts
    • 4000pts

Hi all,

after I got some neat options from you on the topic of frustration and how to deal with it, I would love to discuss another topic:
What point sizes do you enjoy the most? What restrictions (min Battlelines and so on) do you use? What do you like/dislike about certain game sizes?

This poll is not restricted in any way, I would simply love to see some numbers. And even better: To read your opinion why you like some game sizes or not. So feel free to comment and give the others some in depth view! It doen´t even have to be your own games, maybe you noticed that you like big/small battlereports the most.

Thanks for contributing!
Charleston

As a skavenplayer and a real fluff hunter I enjoy playing games, where my skave army will look like a fearsome Vermintide, while giving me enough options to wield a few elite and heavy weapons/units with which the crazed skaven can unfold there true identity and madness.

this is mostly the reason why I like playing 2000 and more point games.

• Like 1

In the past I played a lot of games at the the 1000-1500 range, but me and my group have settled in at 2000.  2000 Just feels like the right mix of getting in everything you want without getting too big.  Also I really like to play around with and bring battalions and it is hard to fit a lot of them in at lower point games. 

1,5 k is the sweet spot for us. Allows me to collect more different armies. Faster games. Less rules bloat from and synergies.

but that being said the numbers need to match the setting. Soon we’ll do a skirmish campaign day just because it means more games and makes it possible to play everybody once. 

• Like 2

At around 2000 points the games feel the best. You get to bring an army with a nice mix of unit types, battalions and endless spells. They also don't take too long. That said I've played and enjoyed small Skirmish campaigns and the occasional 4 player 2k each game. 

I usually play 1500, but lately I've shifted to 1000 (so I can field a wholly painted army) and I've really been enjoying it, specially the shorter playtime.

Also I used to play horde armies and switched to Stormcast, so that also sped up the pace of battles.

I would try more 500points battles. The variety of troops would lack, but quicker pace means that more battles can be done changing the rooster more frequently

• Like 2

I would say,  1500 Points is a quite wierd one, because it is the only one in between that is not supported by Matched Play Restrictions and is houserule territory. Since the Generals Handbook 2017 those ranges are the supported ones.

• Vanguard is 750-1250
  • Battlehost is 1750-2250
  • Warhost is 2250-2750

• Confused 2

I like tournaments so I prefer to play 2000points.

While building my armies I usally play smaller battles, usally 1000 or 1250, I really enjoy those games before Ive learned everything about my army.

The big disadvantage with 1250 is that table size and sceanrio rules assumes 2000 and Im to lazy to scale it down.

I really like playing 1250 points. It always feels like a more frenetic game, and each combat is intense for fear of losing a part of your smallish army. But it's still big enough to have a decent variety of unit types. Plus, the games are a bit shorter and the movement phase isn't deadly long for horde armies.

• Like 1

As an Ironjawz player, 2000 points is the sweetspot.  1000 points is a difficult proposition to properly run an Ironjawz list.  It is difficult to fit in a 440 point mawkrusha at 1000 and still have enough other stuff to go with it, so it never makes it in at 1000 points.

• Haha 1

Depends entirely on why I'm playing!  For me, 1000 point is the most awkward to create an army for as you need to ensure you have enough synergy and hard hitting units without completely blowing the entire points allocation on them - it's also very easy to bring a nuke to a knife fight.  The 1500~2000 point range doesn't have quite the same restrictions, but I would say that I don't have a firm preference.

17 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

nuke to a knife fight.

So much this. We played some 1000 points Sylvaneth vs Tzeentch when I began playing AoS, and I utterly destroyed my opponent everytime. A Spirit of Durthu just hits too hard and takes too little to be played reasonable in that range. There are just no units with enough rend to keep him in check.

The game improves dramatically at 2000 points, because at that point it does make sense to play with batallions, and have some unit synergies in there. 

14 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

1000 pts is a waste of time IMO.  Not only do no tournaments use it, but you can't fit in most of your powerful units.

My local community near exclusively plays 1000 to 1250 points games. We play mostly friendly games at saturday night at the local gaming store. There is much talking between making moves, 1000 points is perfect to still get a game done in a reasonable time frame. 

Another advantage for many is that there is less stuff to haul to the store, which also allows more players to bring fully painted miniatures to the table. 

I like to disagree with your assessment that you can't bring all the stuff. Its more about working around the limitations. Do I want to field my big centerpiece model or do I rather have some support models and screening. I can totally field Morathi or an Kharadron Ironclad at 1000 points if I want to, but I may lack other things which my opponent can use to his advantage. 

One can of course argue that 1000 points is more limiting compared to the freedom of 2000 points, but I think your comment calling it a "waste of time" was uncalled for. 

• Like 2

Its a waste of time in that really 1000 points of AOS is a completely different game with a completely different (non standard) meta.  To me its the same as playing house ruled AOS.  I'm sure it can work for whoever is using the houserules but its so not what the standard is that there is no real point of comparison to discuss or standard set of benchmarks to gauge your progress / standings with the community.

@Dead Scribe you're perfectly entitled to your opinion on 1k, but not everybody is focused on purely playing tournaments (or practising for them) - the hobby isn't purely about competing with each other.

I'd also argue there's more reason to discuss houserules and things we've home grown as we might discover something somebodies tried and fancy giving it a punt ourselves.

As I say, you're entitled to your opinion and wish to play AoS in one specific way, but don't knock people who have a different opinion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

I would say,  1500 Points is a quite wierd one, because it is the only one in between that is not supported by Matched Play Restrictions and is houserule territory. Since the Generals Handbook 2017 those ranges are the supported ones.

• Vanguard is 750-1250
  • Battlehost is 1750-2250
  • Warhost is 2250-2750

I   find  1500 be the sweet spot for 2v2 games and triumph  and  treacher.

Due to my restricted collection (storm strike box set + a couple minis) the few games I have played were small skirmishes around 250 points I think. The games does feel limited at that size but I plan to grow to around 750. But my focus is narrative gaming so I don’t really care about GHB guidelines or my « standing with the community ». I don’t see how playing with just the core rules could be called houseruling or homebrewing 😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dead Scribe said:

I didn't attack anybody that had a different opinion.  I explained why I think it is a waste of time.  That is my opinion, it is a waste of time (to me).  

Question: since you don’t really like small point games, might there be any chance you have an interest in playing 10000p 😀?

Im still looking for somebody who’ll willingly  fight against my 700rats (or was it a thousand🤔? I’m not sure myself anymore)

Edited by Skreech Verminking