What's your opinion of using different dice sizes in a game?

I normally use 12mm dice since they are easy to handle for large attacks, but when it's just a single attack they often feel underwhelming. Watching a 12mm D6 lightly roll all the way across the table before plinking off a terrain piece and rolling a 1 is pretty anti-climatic. I want something larger with more weight to it. Something to make the single or double rolls feel more impact. I was thinking of buying some 16mm for this. I want to know your opinions of people using multiple dice sizes for games. Is it unfair somehow or poor sportsmanship?

31 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

I normally use 12mm dice since they are easy to handle for large attacks, but when it's just a single attack they often feel underwhelming. Watching a 12mm D6 lightly roll all the way across the table before plinking off a terrain piece and rolling a 1 is pretty anti-climatic. I want something larger with more weight to it. Something to make the single or double rolls feel more impact. I was thinking of buying some 16mm for this. I want to know your opinions of people using multiple dice sizes for games. Is it unfair somehow or poor sportsmanship?

To your last question no it isn’t really unfair if someone uses different dice size, asl long as they aren’t really loaded, everything should be alright.

I do exactly the same as you (along with many other gamers).  I've a bag containing loads of 12mm dice (generally 100 or so) that I use when I'm rolling more than 10 (I have fairly small hands).  I've then got an assortment of 16mm dice I use for things like priority rolls, magic, battleshock etc.  I'd suggest a couple of different styles of 16mm dice so that for things like priority rolls you know you're rolling something different to your opponent :)

I think you'd only get called out on it if:

1) You always swish to different dice for "certain rolls". Ergo every time you've got a major important roll you break out your lucky dice etc... Esp if you have continual good luck with those dice to the point where your opponent might wonder if they are loaded. Of course even 100% normal dice will give a streak of good rolls now and then so you can get accused of this even without any cheating going on. 

2) At a tournament they might prefer you stick to one type of dice, again just to avoid even the hint of cheating.

That said most people have loads of random dice and are pretty accepting of different dice. 

Like everyone said there isn’t any problem with having a hunch of d6d or even different ones. Especially when you have to mark wounds on models it makes it so much easier if they don’t look like the ones you are rolling. I’ve use the Aeldari Dark Reaper dice myself for rolling. Because I tend to get good rolls from them and I am that guy who plays elves in everything possible. (Except Elder Scrolls go figure...) Though I do have other dice for when they go poorly and when I need a lot more dice to roll.

Most people I know have such a motley assortment of different dice that it shouldn't be a problem at all. I often try to colour code a little so that I know what I'm doing, and sometimes use a much larger d6 to track turns. I also possess a couple of actual d3, which are always quite entertaining.

I wouldn't advise using d8s though. That might annoy your opponent!

I'm only worried when the size difference means that my opponent is bringing unneccesarily large and/or metal dice. 

More out of fear of them smashing my models and/or the terrain than any concern about game mechanics 😛

8 minutes ago, Mayple said:

I'm only worried when the size difference means that my opponent is bringing unneccesarily large and/or metal dice. 

More out of fear of them smashing my models and/or the terrain than any concern about game mechanics 😛

Yeah and if they are too big it becomes a case of calling him on slow play.

”I brought my custom 10’ dice. I’ve got 60 attacks to roll so it’ll be an hour of this. Fore!” 

These days I think Dice Trays should be semi-mandatory/encouraged for most gamers. They just remove so many issues and something like the KR Multicase even doubles to hold the dice as they come to the game so its the best of all worlds - somewhere to carry dice and to roll them into! 

On 3/13/2019 at 10:20 PM, Ironbreaker said:

Is it unfair somehow or poor sportsmanship?

I am completely indifferent. Only issue I have with dice would be mixed symbol dice. If you have a symbol on your dice I'd want to make sure all the symbols are all on the same number. Ie, all symbols are 6s or 1s... not some of the dice having symbols for 6s and others 1s.

Nothing wrong with using different dice sizes really. 
Most people have different dice (even if they only use some for wound markers or whatever). 

What I think is much more important than the size of dice is how many you have, what type and how you use them. 

Don't be that guy:
Don't throw large 16mm or 20mm dice around the table knocking over models. 
Don't bring 10 dice to a tournament and spend 5 minutes rolling 60 attacks for a unit of plague monks 
Don't have dice with lots of different symbols on them (like most of this ****** GW themed dice)
Don't have different types of dice (eg if some have special symbols on 1s and others have special symbols on 6s). Especially skulls, dice often have skulls for 1s or skulls for 6s. Don't mix the two. 

Basically make your use of dice easy to understand and easy to see. 

Side note:
I think dice trays should be mandatory. Nothing annoys me more than watching someone lean all the way over a table to drop dice in a tiny open space in the middle of multiple units and then have to fish them out from in between models. Have a dedicated mobile space to properly roll the dice. Somewhere they aren't going to fall off the table or knock anything over. Somewhere easily visible to both players. 
$5 gets you a picture frame and a bit of felt to stick on the back. Easy. 
I have a small photo sized one for games with few dice (like board games, underworlds or SW Destiny) and an A4 size one for AOS/40K where I can comfortably roll handfuls of dice at a time. 

Archived