TKIY's FEC Painting Log

I have been playing WHFB/40K/AoS and other systems for over twenty years and have never produced a painted army.  This changes now.

I found a scheme online I liked, tweaked it a bit so that it's very airbrush heavy (75% of the effort) and uses washes to do most of the rest of the work.  I'm trying to settle on the choice of undertone, blue or green, or keeping a mix of both (maybe even some other tones) for variety.  Here are the first two test models:

r0mHd2j.jpg

CQ772sX.jpg

2mOGeB9.jpg

xA76Zvg.jpg

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

Great start, I think either way is a solid option.  Personally I think the green works a little better but it depends on what you are going for.  I feel the green gives more a grounded, realistic feel whereas the blue adds a little more fantastical/supernatural feel.  Either is a valid route to go, just depends on what you are looking for.  Good luck with the project!

Going to be a little while before I post a complete unit.  I have to quickly build and paint a Chaos Marine Kill Team for a league that started this week.

Hopefully I'll get the first twenty ghouls built and painted by the end of March and then move on to some Horrors and Flayers to see how the scheme works there.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm opting for something a little more unusual for my initial 2K list.  No dragons!

As such, here is the next painting block:

20190402_211116.jpg.97b35fdc1124f7e8e21ceb5c9b120b05.jpg

This will eventually become three units of six Crypt Flayers, and two Crypt Infernal Courtiers.

Wings will be painted separately and glued on after.  Just finished this assembly tonight, priming tomorrow night!

• Like 2

Basecoat, zenithal highlights, glaze and the contrast highlights are done on this batch:

BMOxga8.jpg

Here is a closeup of the Flayer bodies.  I've lightened the contrast quite a bit so the wash will give better depth, but these haven't been washed yet:

6KtmBG1.jpg

On the Infernals, I did the wings with the contrast brown on the vanes, and then mottled the webbing.  Not sure if I will keep this for the large wings or reverse it, and just mottle with wings and leave the vanes in the green tone.  Might have to paint one of each and see which looks better:

1OYcvrv.jpg

The mounting points for the wings have been covered in poster tack, and the wings are being cleaned and mounted for painting now.  I prefer plastic glue so hopefully this will allow a good bond after painting.  

Edited by TheKingInYellow

Looking good to me. Only thing is which picture is truer to the colour? The close up seems darker and there the light and dark seem to work better. 

While in the full model picture it seems brighter and more contrasting. If it’s closer to the second the only feedback I can think of is darkening/muting both colours a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...