I finally did it I finished painting an army

@Greasygeek these are really great, I especially like your spirit hosts, once again I’m left looking at my own wondering where it all went wrong! Seriously though they look fabulous as a whole army together, you must be deservedly very happy. Have you had a chance to play a full game with them all painted yet? (Actually do you even play or just collect/paint?) 

@Sleboda talking of pink/purple, though depending on your taste possibly turning things up a bit too much (though I absolutely love them), have you seen Dana Howl’s Nighthaunt? They’ve had me thinking of stripping all mine, starting again completely from scratch again and going wild with them.

https://instagram.com/dana_howl

I had not seen those. Thanks for sharing. I really like the colors themselves, but I'm not generally a fan of how airbrush painting turns out (and if those are not airbrushed, she should patent her technique and teach people how to create the airbrushed look without an airbrush!). Just a personal preference - no slight on her or other fans of airbrush.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

Congratulations! 

As a man who has yet to finish painting a single army he’s ever started, I can appreciate exactly how big an achievement 2000pts is. I’m currently on yet another attempt but with a 1500pt target to make it a bit more achievable for me.

Personally, I go through hobby binges where I will spend the entire weekend painting then maybe do nothing for a few weeks. Kinda the way I like it though - If I’m forcing myself to do it, I’m not enjoying it as much.

Again, congrats.

Edit: couldn’t see the pics for some reason - army looks great!

Edited by ManlyMuppet88

On 4/30/2019 at 8:45 AM, Sleboda said:

I just noticed the pink/purple. For my nighthaunts I'm also trying to incorporate that color, but my results have been mixed.

Care to share your process?

Sure and thanks for the nice words.

Actually the Pink/purple process was changed a few times as I first was abit unsatisfied with some of the results and wanted to make a stronger contrast. However after going all neon with the hexwraith scythes I decided that mysybe my first aprosch was ok and finally I left the hexwraiths as the only pink tones in the army.

The thought behind using purple in contrary to the usual green/tellow flames was that I wanted the death magic amathyst feel to the army and beside purple is just and awesome colour😉

The flames I ended up with was done with a base of naggaroth night mixed with with white scar to give the purple flame a cold feel. I used druchi violet to dilute the white parts and sometimes I would mix druchi and white scar too. Sorry I can’t be more specific but ai can’t remember exactly how as I never stuck to one recipe.

However the ‘magic’ scythes on the Hex Wraiths were done a lot different.

1. Based the weapon in naggaroth night.

2. Mix a bit of warlord purple (Game Colour) with NN, and went in on certain areas. I wanted to give the feel of magic energy constantly rippling through the weapon. 1:3

3. Went in with the warlord/naggaroth mix again in those same areas to fade the purple but this time the paint mix was maybe 3:1.

4. Then I mixed white scar with warlord purple (1:3).

To do step 2-4 correct you need to constantly leave a bit of the darker area as you close in on the core of the energy. 

5. Then I would paint white scar in small lighting shapes on the brightest parts and a few edge hightlights when needed.

Use thinned down druchi violet to tone the contrast down if needed.

To be honest I never really liked the Hexwraith models (or point value) so I was very set on painting them fast as I did’nt want to get stuck painting them.

In the end it was an ok result and I most say that it made me like the minis just a bit more. Well it also helped they managed to kill a Hag Queen on foot once😈

On 4/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, JPjr said:

@Greasygeek these are really great, I especially like your spirit hosts, once again I’m left looking at my own wondering where it all went wrong! Seriously though they look fabulous as a whole army together, you must be deservedly very happy. Have you had a chance to play a full game with them all painted yet? (Actually do you even play or just collect/paint?) 

Thanks a lot.

yes I do very much play.

In our group we all love to play the element of surprise so most of us only have a few armies but very large armies indeed so that we get to try a lot of different lists that hou would probably never see in tournements. Unfortunately we are all boring adults and so we only get to play 1-2 days a month. 

When I was a teenager I wanted to follow the selfmade rule to never field unpainted units. However I was never able to keep that rule. But with my Nighthaunts I did and that end up being a VERY motivating. Example. I have yet to try my Olynder as I had to paint 40 Chainrasps before I was allowed to paint her, despite buying her several month ago.

Therefore I also had to quickpaint the chainrasps as I was getting impatient and I ended up finding a way of doing them that took 15-20minuttes of actual painting per model.

btw.

Those Dana Nighthaunts are totally awesome! Are they Charmon ghosts or just a crazy colourschemes drawn from the mind of Lewis Carrols😉? Either way they inspired me on a small unit of flesheaters I will do as soon as I finish the nighthaunts and the Shyish by night table that will start on soon. 

Edited by Greasygeek

Congratulations! I feel you.

I’ve been into Warhammer and miniatures in general since my teens but it’s no until now, when I’m 37 that I’m really getting into fantasy. I started AoS like 18 months ago after a very impactful visit to Warhammer World and have painted around 2000 points and made a couple of gaming tables (mats mind you).

That’s like 40 miniatures spread across Stormcasts and Rotbringers. So there you have it, significant other but no kids yet though. 

On 5/1/2019 at 7:07 AM, Greasygeek said:

The thought behind using purple in contrary to the usual green/tellow flames was that I wanted the death magic amathyst feel to the army and beside purple is just and awesome colour😉

My thinking exactly. 

My first attempt is shown here. This was months ago, and I've not returned to then because it was so frustrating.

I used the same base purples as you, but also washed Drakenhoff and a Nuln in areas to try to get feel of smoke-ishness.

Overall I was not pleased.

Oh well.

Thanks for sharing!

20190504_044547.jpg

Don’t be too hard on yourself I think it looks good. Only difference is I would turn up the contrasts on the center of the flame and also darken the colder parts of the flame even more than you’ve already have done. It seem that bo matter the colour of a flame, its always nearly white in its center and a strong dark purple or blackish tip as the flame gets cold and dissapers.

This first army is genuinely good.

I was expecting it to look so-so, at best, and with all the encouraging replies being somewhat patronizing, However, this is definitely not the case.

I guess "first army" people could also be good painters who are just really, really slow and/or busy.

• Thanks 1

Finished these today! And yes it’s still Nighthaunts and not LoN. Just wanted to add a little Harbinger support to Olynder and also add some bravery debuff. Looking forward to try my banshee list soon hopefully.

With these guys done I think am calling it for now. My initial goal was to paint 2000pt of Nighhaunts within a year of release and by now I have reached 3100pt not counting battalions or endless spells, so unless GHB 19 opens up to some really good use for Knight of Shrouds, Stalkers, Harridans and Wraiths my army is finished.

next project I will begin on soon, will be my Shyish table. Obviously matching the gloomy/ hazy night theme I got going on but will switch between ork trukks and scenery whenever necessary.

A0DB9F95-D8A3-4F12-AAE7-88DFCFAA8BA0.jpeg

50F02426-782C-4290-92BF-10214C0E978A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah.. well uhm.. with Forbidden Powers coming out it looks like my ghost army isn’t all done yet. Though I have started working on my Shyish scenery Im pretty sure that I will come back for more ghosts soon.

But first! Say hi to my vampire lord/ über ghost Ms. Boo

Greatly inspired from the very talented Tyler Mengel, I kitbashed her from the bits of the Mortis Engine, a hint of an endless spell  and a bit of green stuff too.

Originally I wanted the coventhrone but realized that a vampire lord is a much better choice for bringing back destroyed ghosts. However I truely dislike working with resin and I am not into vampires either so the model I went for had to be very ghostly despite not being ethereal. 

DD44D6EE-139C-40BC-BBF4-2C23BD35BE9E.jpeg

47BE31AC-E739-445A-A931-1E449AF3562A.jpeg

• LOVE IT! 1

Great Job @Greasygeek

Hope I can say the same thing one time. I love how they look, awesome. I own a relatively small nighthaunt collection myself which I am about to start painting. I was a bit in doubt what to do with the bases, just a simple earth/stone kind of basing tends to be a bit dull in my humble opinion. I like what you did with it though, the greenish/blueish glow over them makes them kinda spooky...just what it needs I think. Think I am going to do something similar.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, Greasygeek said:

So last saturday about 5 in the afternoon I did it I finally reached  a fully painted  2000pt army. I gotta say this was a personal goal I have been wanting to do ever since I was a teenager and now 15-20 years later I finally did it. Specially during my teen years but also as an adult have I started painting  at least 10 different armies, but until now I have never completed one not even close. So to be honest I kinda expected a crowd giving me a standing ovation, maybe a small brassband playing: ‘we are the champions’ while someone important held a speach for me but non of that happend. Though my wife to be gave me a: “oh thats nice”, when I ran screaming with my t-shirt over my head and victory signs in the air in circles in our livingroom celebrating like some famous athtlete who just won the superbowlchampionsleaguesomethingsomething.

Anyway so while I wait for Nike to contact me on some sponsor deals I thought it would be fun to hear from those of you who like me are grown ups with kids/jobs/lives that allows for very little time to paint, how long does it take you to paint an army, how do you fight the evergrowing feeling of hopelessness when batchpainting large units? Whats the fastest you have painting for a descent result?

and serioulsly Nike Ive already got the slogan for you.

’You can paint it’ TM.

😉

Haha nice so remind me so much of myself. I also have started like 10 armies, esp when I was a teenager. Then I took a small break of 15 years and now I am going strong with my Stormcasts. 1000P. are already painted and based and I hope I can finally finish an army.   :)

7 hours ago, Lowki said:

Great Job @Greasygeek

Hope I can say the same thing one time. I love how they look, awesome. I own a relatively small nighthaunt collection myself which I am about to start painting. I was a bit in doubt what to do with the bases, just a simple earth/stone kind of basing tends to be a bit dull in my humble opinion. 

My thought exactly. The  idea about the bases was that in order to make my ghosts look more glowy I had to create darkness around them and tried to do so by adding dark bases and some basic OSL from the flames and ethereal parts of the ghosts.

The bases are super easy to make and at the moment I am working on my Shyish table and it will be in those same colours. 

Already did a spooky pool of spookyness (working title), and it turned out fine though I did the pools slighty more blue than the bases which are more green tinted..

Edited by Greasygeek

Congrats on finishing an army! I've recently discovered that I've failed to finish painting a single army since 2009 (Tyranids for 40k) and have been kicking myself for the last few days, so it's nice to see other people finish their projects.

• 9 months later...

Right now I'm splitting time between my house and my fiance's apartment until I get married, but recently I started bringing some models with me to her place to get ahead. On average, I'd say I get around an hour or two a day to hobby, but I'm a slow painter. 

I'm halfway done with my 1k Stormcasts (Astral Templars) but have put them aside to focus on a Spire Tyrants warband and terrain for Warcry. 

• 1 month later...

Congrats! i feel your pain but at the end, you now have a beautiful painted army that you can be proud of and scoff at the others who don't have their armies painted!! lol

In my army, I have 140 Legion of Azgorh dwarves that need to be painted of which i have only done 6. Lol, sad day but I do see the light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Very nicely done.  I really like how you handled the issue of Night Haunt's individually excellent models blending together too much as a full army by using different ghostly color accents.  Your army still looks cohesive, but units and heroes still stand out from each other.  I have a Night Haunt army that I need to complete one of these days and I will probably copy some of your ideas here.

Well done!  Congratulations on finally finishing an army as well.