Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

Every once in a  while, I will visit the total war warhammer general discussion forum to check out the game.

And occasionally the topic of AoS will come up, and everytime I am reminded that people don't know what they are talking about on there.

• Like 1

I wonder how AoS novel sells are doing now, and how are they doing compered to the old whf  novels. 

• Like 1

According to JR aos novels sell better

However apparently people who don’t read that much know much more about WFB lore which has already lasted for 20+years  plus plenty support from Games and Trpg.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

According to JR aos novels sell better

However apparently people who don’t read that much know much more about WFB lore which has already lasted for 20+years  plus plenty support from Games and Trpg.

Well that and there are a lot of YouTuber video out there that summarize basically everything you need to know about WFB lore for people who don’t read. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Well that and there are a lot of YouTuber video out there that summarize basically everything you need to know about WFB lore for people who don’t read. 

Pretty much, most of them get the lore from the wiki and ironically only some of the times of legends books earned back their money. Majority of the fantasy novel's haven't. Hence why I call into question on how many people were actually "invested" in the lore in the first place. Most of them didn't buy the books or the models and then cry foul once it's gone. If you were already invested when they axed it I can get it if you are still salty, but the people on the total war forum? Oh boy.  

At the end of the day what I like about AOS is the fact the races are more mixed together. Constantly when new whfb games come out people complain that they want to play lizardmen or one of the more exotic races but it's impossible since many of the factions are cordoned off in their own section of the world. 

My greatest memory when playing narrative AOS was during warhammer quest our Seraphon old blood player lost to a drunken reveller in a bar fight. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shinros said:

Pretty much, most of them get the lore from the wiki and ironically only some of the times of legends books earned back their money. Majority of the fantasy novel's haven't. Hence why I call into question on how many people were actually "invested" in the lore in the first place. Most of them didn't buy the books or the models and then cry foul once it's gone. If you were already invested when they axed it I can get it if you are still salty, but the people on the total war forum? Oh boy.  

from my understanding, the salt comes from the fact that because GW ended the Old world, they can't expand the total war game into any of the obscure factions like the Warhammer China or Arabia. Also doesn't help that a lot Oldhammer lore youtuber  (people who were invested in the Old lore) don't speak highly of AoS which kind of breed a lot of total war gamer to not like AoS. in fact, I feel like many of them wouldn't have known the term Sigmarine if it wasn't for Archwarhammer videos

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, novakai said:

from my understanding, the salt comes from the fact that because GW ended the Old world, they can't expand the total war game into any of the obscure factions like the Warhammer China or Arabia. Also doesn't help that a lot Oldhammer lore youtuber  (people who were invested in the Old lore) don't speak highly of AoS which kind of breed a lot of total war gamer to not like AoS. in fact, I feel like many of them wouldn't have known the term Sigmarine if it wasn't for Archwarhammer videos

The only oldhammer lore youtuber that I know  that like AoS is "Loremaster of Sotek".  

Edited by xking

58 minutes ago, xking said:

The only oldhammer lore youtuber that I know  that like AoS is "Loremaster of Sotek".  

Honestly he is the only old lore youtuber that actually does his research. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xking said:

I wonder how AoS novel sells are doing now, and how are they doing compered to the old whf  novels. 

I can't speak for other authors, but mine are doing much better.  Soul Wars, for instance, has sold ridiculously well - Horus Heresy levels of well. In fact, the only AOS novel that I've written that can be considered to have done poorly is Spear of Shadows.  Which is surprising, since everyone thought that was going to be the *only* one to earn out. And even that's sold more than any of my WHF novels that didn't have Gotrek & Felix on the cover. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

I think GW is doing a lot more to promote Black Library in general - I seem to recall when I was into Warhammer years and yeasr ago BL was "thing" but nowhere near as heavily marketed. It was almost all in the background for the super-fan. Right now GW is pushing BL harder and harder though they oddly still split it off onto its own website (though they are steadily adding some books to their main store site). 

Glad to hear that its having a positive effect at the actual writers end of things - onward and upward for more lore and books! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JReynolds said:

In fact, the only AOS novel that I've written that can be considered to have done poorly is Spear of Shadows.

Crazy. a) That’s one of my favs, b) I unintentionally bought it twice.

On 5/16/2019 at 4:09 PM, libr4rian said:

Does anyone can tell me why paper version of "Nagash: The Undying King" by Josh Reynolds isn't available on GW site any more and it's copies on ebay are so ridiculously priced? Is it temporary, or it won't be printed again? I hate ebooks.

Its coming out in an omnibus soon

It is such a shame that Spear of Shadows didn't sell well. It is probably my favourite AoS novel. If anyone on here hasn't read it yet,  I strongly recommend picking it up. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JReynolds said:

. In fact, the only AOS novel that I've written that can be considered to have done poorly is Spear of Shadows.  Which is surprising, since everyone thought that was going to be the *only* one to earn out. And even that's sold more than any of my WHF novels that didn't have Gotrek & Felix on the cover. 

Spear of shadows got me into AoS books!

In fact it sort of started my whole re-appraisal of AoS lore in general- the old world was total fantasy trope world. It was done really well, but it was essentially identical to a huge number of other fantasy worlds. AoS, and especially aos 2/recent books, have made AoS a much more interesting world that's unlike any other.

• Like 3

FPLakeLethisLore-May23-LethisArt3jce.jpg

Always love when they show us some Cities of the Mortal Realms, Lethis looks great :0

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

13 hours ago, novakai said:

why can't they do arabia or china? Just curious about it, as they did things like the vampire coast DLC. I have 221 hours in the game but I do not follow that much I guess. as for not speaking bad about AoS, ****** em. It's their lost to be honest.

14 hours ago, shinros said:

At the end of the day what I like about AOS is the fact the races are more mixed together. Constantly when new whfb games come out people complain that they want to play lizardmen or one of the more exotic races but it's impossible since many of the factions are cordoned off in their own section of the world. 

My greatest memory when playing narrative AOS was during warhammer quest our Seraphon old blood player lost to a drunken reveller in a bar fight. 

Honestly this is one of the bigges things I like about AoS. You can have a reason why any faction will brawl with another one. none are land locked like being in Slyvania or Lustria and being trapped by the empire or whatever, they can just step through a realm gate, appear somewhere else and have a punch up with another faction. we do lose some mythos with cities with this new set up though, aside from a few like HammerHall, Lethis and the season of war cities we do not know a lot about different cities in the realms. I guess that means they can be easily destroyed, though! 

9 hours ago, JReynolds said:

I can't speak for other authors, but mine are doing much better.  Soul Wars, for instance, has sold ridiculously well - Horus Heresy levels of well. In fact, the only AOS novel that I've written that can be considered to have done poorly is Spear of Shadows.  Which is surprising, since everyone thought that was going to be the *only* one to earn out. And even that's sold more than any of my WHF novels that didn't have Gotrek & Felix on the cover. 

That’s such a pity, EL series is indeed a interesting  story and now I am looking forward to sequels.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JReynolds said:

I can't speak for other authors, but mine are doing much better.  Soul Wars, for instance, has sold ridiculously well - Horus Heresy levels of well. In fact, the only AOS novel that I've written that can be considered to have done poorly is Spear of Shadows.  Which is surprising, since everyone thought that was going to be the *only* one to earn out.

It is gratifying to learn that people like the story containing stormcasts so much(maybe because they clad in black rather than golden armor this time) and that's a shocking news that Spear of Shadows didn't come out so well. It's become the favorite of a great many readers.

Edited by frostfire
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, frostfire said:

It is gratifying to learn that people like the story containing stormcasts so much(maybe because they clad in black rather than golden armor this time) and that's a shocking news that Spear of Shadows didn't come out so well. It's become the favorite of a great many readers.

I recall Josh stating that sometimes the cold hard numbers doesn't match up with internet perceptions, I think this is another case. I personally loved Soul wars myself but I think the hate for stormcast is pretty much a vocal minority. For example look at their thread in the order section compared to the other factions. You can see the clear difference.  

Edited by shinros

2 hours ago, shinros said:

I recall Josh stating that sometimes the cold hard numbers doesn't match up with internet perceptions, I think this is another case. I personally loved Soul wars myself but I think the hate for stormcast is pretty much a vocal minority. For example look at their thread in the order section compared to the other factions. You can see the clear difference.

Yeah, I know. But it still hurt when I saw some one just say no more stormcasts on official Facebook page. It’s good to know SCEs are welcomed by numerous people.😀

On 5/22/2019 at 7:31 PM, xking said:

m8, sometimes it seems like you have a bit of hard-on for hating on the Oldhammer lol.

Let people enjoy their things.

12 hours ago, BrownDog said:

FPLakeLethisLore-May23-LethisArt3jce.jpg

Always love when they show us some Cities of the Mortal Realms, Lethis looks great :0

The art for the city art for the mortal realms is top notch. It really makes AOS as a fantasy setting.

• LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, frostfire said:

Yeah, I know. But it still hurt when I saw some one just say no more stormcasts on official Facebook page. It’s good to know SCEs are welcomed by numerous people.😀

I think the issue is more of a release kind of thing. Stormcast have had more releases and books then any other faction, whilst other factions just gather dust. AOS players want better balance then 40k where half of the range is Space Marines 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deepkin said:

m8, sometimes it seems like you have a bit of hard-on for hating on the Oldhammer lol.

Let people enjoy their things.

You very much got it the other way around, I have no problem with the old setting. But I do got a problem with that old crowd, always talking s***