Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, electrogremlin said:

Does anybody else get frustrated with the fact that nobody else they play seems to have read anything? I still play people who don’t really know what a Stormcast is or have any idea of places. The Battletomes are great but sometimes I feel like shaking people and forcing them to read some BL books. 

Any ideas on how to make the background more widely understood by people? 

 I think in general- and GW sort of acknowledge this to an extent- BL is almost a separate part of the hobby. Most readers don't play the game at all. I think that's particularly true for the HH and 40k books- all the BL NYTimes bestseller list books are just popular scifi books in their own right.

For me, I have little time to actually play anymore, so reading AoS books is what most of my "hobby time" is spent on. That's true for a lot of our customers when I talk to them- they've read the Horus Heresy series or Gotrek or some AoS novels but don't have time to make, paint and play a whole army! The novels are my main contact with the hobby most of the time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always been the way, heck when I got into Warhammer years and years ago I read White Dwarf and the tomes/codex but never the black library stuff. I think GW advertises it more than they once did and they are putting shorts into WD, so they are getting the word out. 

Thing is reading books is just a different hobby to models so they can attract different people within the same niche. It can also depend on the players faction and which book they tried to read. Sometimes they might pick one up that hinges on plot points established in earlier books; other times their faction might not have any BL specific stories so they dont' feel as drawn to it.

And others just see a sea of books and get all confused what the reading order is and where to start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’d like to read more Black Library stuff. The recent novels I’ve read have been cracking reads.

Edited by Greyshadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 10:57 AM, hughwyeth said:

BL just released the first omnibus of the realmgate wars- not sure if it's worth getting though.

Actually they released both omnubus books quite some time ago, but at least failed to show it in the GW-Shop if not searching for it.

I still have to read both books, but actually had read some of the stories before (because they were released in "Hammerhal & other stories", "Sacrocanct & other stories" or the "Black Library Celebration Books 2018/2019".

4 hours ago, electrogremlin said:

Does anybody else get frustrated with the fact that nobody else they play seems to have read anything? I still play people who don’t really know what a Stormcast is or have any idea of places. The Battletomes are great but sometimes I feel like shaking people and forcing them to read some BL books. 

I can only say that I have read/listen to 43 of about 112 Age of Sigmar stories that are either printed in bookform or were audiodramas (not including White Dwarf stories and the Malign Portents stories I read too). It's getting interesting any time when remembering another reference to another story I read. Normally most of the stories I read in german translation, but I have the feeling I'm getting forced to read the english stories, because only 38 of 112 Stories are translated and 34 of them I have read as well as the point that audio dramas are english only.

In case of the battletomes. This was one thing I actually enjoyed the old battletomes. The battletomes evolved for sure, but those 4 page stories they had in the old battletomes, leading to a Battleplan are missing (partly GW reused the Idea with the Malign Portents stories or in the White Dwarf).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't thought of it as a separate hobby until now, but I guess that makes sense. I think I find it hard because back in the days of the World-That-Was, everybody knew the basic story. When we played games there was a lot of understanding behind them. My Dwarf general had an ongoing grudge against my friend's High Elves that went back to the War of Vengeance (or the Beard as he wrongly insisted on calling it!) We would have battles in Lustria, or in Sylvania or outside of Nuln and everybody I played knew what was what.

Hopefully in time AoS will develop this kind of universal understanding. 

@EMMachine Have you read any of the books in both English and German? Are the translations good or are things lost/gained in the switch between languages? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 6:00 PM, electrogremlin said:

@EMMachine Have you read any of the books in both English and German? Are the translations good or are things lost/gained in the switch between languages? 

Sadly I haven't read stories in both languages yet.  I think there could be some when I'm reading the two Realmgate Wars Omnibus books. One thing I actually don't like about the german books is that the names are translated too. So "Gardus Steelsoul" is called "Gardus Stahlseele", "Blightkings" are called "Pestkönige" und "Nighthaunt" "Nachtspuke". (the strange thing is, that those sentences are in englisch in the battletomes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Question: is there ever was a case, in AoS or WFB, of a Beastlord/Bray-Shaman/Doombull/Dragon Ogre Shaggoth ascending to Daemonhood?

Edited by Axebringer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Axebringer said:

Question: is there ever was a case, in AoS or WFB, of a Beastlord/Bray-Shaman/Doombull/Dragon Ogre Shaggoth ascending to Daemonhood?

Sort of re: Beatsmen and Minotaurs. Unless you count Kweethul (the skaven Daemon Prince used as an example of a randomly generated Chaos power in Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned). there have never been any named (ex) beastman Daemon Princes in the background (unless they've turned up somewhere very obscure, feel free to correct me!), but Beastlords, Bray-Shamans and Doombulls are Chaos champions of a sort, and therefore are eligible to ascend to daemonhood, though less likely to than most human champions.

In WFB background the Chaos Gods sort of took beastmen for granted and ignored them, knowing they were damned from birth and seeing them as something they already had, and not prizes to be turned away from the light and corrupted like their human followers. Most of the Beastmen in AoS seem more focused on using Chaos as a resource or tool rather than worshipping and submitting to it, so I'm not sure if many of them would even want to become Daemon Princes.

It's worth adding that beastman and minotaur Deamon Princes have been possible in game, most recently in the combined Chaos army lists in End Times: Glotkin and End Times: Archaon.

 

Dragon ogres (ogors?) are a bit different, as they're less conventional Chaos followers and enslaved to the will of the Chaos Gods in exchange for immortality, Shaggoths are simply very big, old dragon ogres, and not Chaos champions, and while it was possible to take a "Shaggoth Champion" (with the mark of your chosen Chaos God) in 6th edition WFB, I'm not sure if this was  supposed to represent a Chaos champion walking the path to glory in the conventional sense, or was just a fancy title.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bretonnia sighted?!

Sorry I'm new to this thread, and i don't know if this has been noticed anywhere else, but i think the recent novel, The Red Feast, includes the first reference to where Bretonnia ended up.

In the book (set in the age of myth), there is a character called Serleon. In English, Ser can be a variant of sir, and Leon is reminiscent of Leoncouer. That seems like a reach, but we know GW likes to mix old names into new, such as Khailebron (Khaine Hellebron) and Draichi Ganeth (Draich and Har Ganeth).

Serleon wears full plate armour styled with lions, a symbol the Bretonnians used before, and he has some French stereotypes such as asking questions ending with ", no?", and preferring red wine over beer.

What really seals the deal though is that in the book he comes from a place called 'Aquita'. Old Bretonnia had Aquitaine. Apparently Aquita is a 'provan' (province...) of Bataar. Old Bretonnia had provinces. Bataar has a completely different language than Aquita though, so i don't think Bataar is wider Bretonnia or Empire equivalent. Aquita's language is vaguely French sounding though, with "Ourdon de bovout an tur" being some Aquitan words in the book. It's also possible to be a Prince there.

I can't tell if this is an intentional reveal or whether Gav Thorpe has managed to sneak them in under the radar like someone snuck in an animation of Pewdiepie's chair into last year's YouTube Rewind lol.

Anyway, it seems like at least one part of Bretonnia ended up in the realm of fire, and in the book, the concept is already introduced of humans travelling from the world that was into the new realms, as the Khul tribe did exactly this with the help of their priest at the time making necessary sacrifices to open a portal.

Interesting! Or i think so anyway.

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 11:42 PM, Rogue Mind said:

For someone getting into AoS.  What books would you say are essential reads?  Is there a list for recommended read?  Thanks 

Spear of shadows is great

Hammerhal and other stories is pretty great

Mortarch of night from realmgate wars is good as is call of archaon

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

Bretonnia sighted?!

Sorry I'm new to this thread, and i don't know if this has been noticed anywhere else, but i think the recent novel, The Red Feast, includes the first reference to where Bretonnia ended up.

In the book (set in the age of myth), there is a character called Serleon. In English, Ser can be a variant of sir, and Leon is reminiscent of Leoncouer. That seems like a reach, but we know GW likes to mix old names into new, such as Khailebron (Khaine Hellebron) and Draichi Ganeth (Draich and Har Ganeth).

Serleon wears full plate armour styled with lions, a symbol the Bretonnians used before, and he has some French stereotypes such as asking questions ending with ", no?", and preferring red wine over beer.

What really seals the deal though is that in the book he comes from a place called 'Aquita'. Old Bretonnia had Aquitaine. Apparently Aquita is a 'provan' (province...) of Bataar. Old Bretonnia had provinces. Bataar has a completely different language than Aquita though, so i don't think Bataar is wider Bretonnia or Empire equivalent. Aquita's language is vaguely French sounding though, with "Ourdon de bovout an tur" being some Aquitan words in the book. It's also possible to be a Prince there.

I can't tell if this is an intentional reveal or whether Gav Thorpe has managed to sneak them in under the radar like someone snuck in an animation of Pewdiepie's chair into last year's YouTube Rewind lol.

Anyway, it seems like at least one part of Bretonnia ended up in the realm of fire, and in the book, the concept is already introduced of humans travelling from the world that was into the new realms, as the Khul tribe did exactly this with the help of their priest at the time making necessary sacrifices to open a portal.

Interesting! Or i think so anyway.

Well I think it is just a nod for fun, you know, nowadays BL writers really like to hint elements of WFB (Settrus, Ikrit, Blood dragon, etc)

Honestly I love and hate them at the same time for this 'habit", on one hand I really want to see something in aos is from old world, on the other hand BL novels don't necessarily link to GW's new products unless the fluff is confirmed in battletomes (Thanquol, Oak of ages past, etc.), so do not be too excited about what is in the novel.

But hey that's indeed interesting, even if the possibility for Brets to come back is so small that nobody cares about it I still want to see more about them in the future! Who knows what decision gw will make!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Axebringer said:

Question: is there ever was a case, in AoS or WFB, of a Beastlord/Bray-Shaman/Doombull/Dragon Ogre Shaggoth ascending to Daemonhood?

Morghur ascended into godhood if my memory is right 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone can tell me why paper version of "Nagash: The Undying King" by Josh Reynolds isn't available on GW site any more and it's copies on ebay are so ridiculously priced? Is it temporary, or it won't be printed again? I hate ebooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, libr4rian said:

Does anyone can tell me why paper version of "Nagash: The Undying King" by Josh Reynolds isn't available on GW site any more and it's copies on ebay are so ridiculously priced? Is it temporary, or it won't be printed again? I hate ebooks.

Wasn't that the warhammer world only book? Imagine there were very limited number of copies. I got it e-book- it's worth reading- the physical copies are just ludicrously priced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, libr4rian said:

Does anyone can tell me why paper version of "Nagash: The Undying King" by Josh Reynolds isn't available on GW site any more and it's copies on ebay are so ridiculously priced? Is it temporary, or it won't be printed again? I hate ebooks.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

I believe this will be an omnibus of The Undying King and Neferata Mortarch of Blood, if you missed them first time round. :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, for the few AoS stories in the book maledictions from warhammer horror did a great job showing some civilian / non combatant sides of the world. I would recommend the book just for that, or maybe the short stories should be sold separately later on. The widow tide and last of the blood showed a believable setting with a mysterious antagonist that didn't lean too much into product placement kind of territory, and the story of the underjacks seemed to provide a bit more lore into the greywater city. I would recommend it,  but I do have a question...

Spoiler

What the heck was with Alarielle in that under jack story? Is she now some kind of plant based eldritch horror from the last of us? What did sigmar do to her to make her unleash the fungus zombie plague like she was doing, and why is she just killing randoms like she is? It seems much more chaotic than something an order deity should do...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

Alarielle is a little mad. 
Basically whilst the other gods mostly pulled away from the Mortal realms and hid up until Sigmar came through; she remained within her forests whilst Nurgle encroached. She basically cowered and hid herself in a pocket realm/corner and went a little crazy in there. I think partly because she, of all the gods, shares the closest connection to her patron peoples. She is one with the forest so as Nurgle twisted and corrupted the forests she too was affected by that taint. Not in the same way that Morathi was tainted, but more in a sense that she keenly feels her peoples pain of those times and the continued corruption which still festers in the land. 

I think this is coupled to the fact that the Aelf allies abandoned the woods and she felt very much like she'd been left out to dry; along with her people also feeling the same. This gives her and the Sylvanath a nasty edge in that whilst they welcome allies, they remember the long time without them. Making her more prone to violent or twisted revenge/retaliation/war against chaos. 

 

What did Sigmar do? He ran away - he left her - he left her to hide, to cower and to have her forests and people twisted with the taint of chaos. Sure he came back, but for 500 years he was gone. He didn't stay and hold a battleline whilst working on his new weapon, he closed himself off; isolated himself and worked on his weapon in secret. Indeed chances are she likely felt he was gone and never to return at all - yet he took so long coming back that the joy of his return in itself and the victory that his stormcast brought feels hollow. 

Remember even though the loose timeline has many things happening a few hundred years after the end of the Age of Chaos, that's still very recent to a god or tree. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, so I read Spear of Shadows, and loved it, and am now looking for what's next in the series. I know Warclaw is a thing, but I don't know if it's next, or if there's something in between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Realmhead said:

Hey all, so I read Spear of Shadows, and loved it, and am now looking for what's next in the series. I know Warclaw is a thing, but I don't know if it's next, or if there's something in between.

Auction of blood and Tainted Axe are also sequel short stories of Eight Lamentations 

Edited by Whitefang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, El Syf said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

I believe this will be an omnibus of The Undying King and Neferata Mortarch of Blood, if you missed them first time round. :)

Thanks! Great news. I've missed that one. Amazon description confirm this: " This omnibus contains two novels: Nagash: The Undying King and Neferata: Mortarch of Blood.". Can't wait :)

Edited by libr4rian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of the fine work of Mr @JReynolds, I just started reading Shadespire yesterday and I’d like to put my thanks on record for him making it canon that Stormcast all have ****** stupid names and that the ordinary people of the mortal realms know this.

Edited by JPjr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Talking of the fine work of Mr @JReynolds, I just started reading Shadespire yesterday and I’d like to put my thanks on record for him making it canon that Stormcast all have ****** stupid names and that the ordinary people of the mortal realms know this.

Opinion, Gardus is a perfectly fine name thank you very much.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone get the forbidden power book yet? Did celestant-prime really get defeated in close combat or just failed his mission due to some other reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...