Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

Out of interest how many years has passed since the End Times to the Age of Sigmar (or current timeline)?

Circa 30.000 years I think? 

3 minutes ago, Rogue Mind said:

Out of interest how many years has passed since the End Times to the Age of Sigmar (or current timeline)?

Age of Chaos is at least 1000 years, Mythic Age is around the same, but I belive the mythic is also broken up between a time of civilization and a time of wild untamed mad realms right after they were created/born/found. So at the very least there's 2K years, but likely a LOT more. 

8 minutes ago, Rogue Mind said:

Aions.

Just now, michu said:

Circa 30.000 years I think? 

Around that, or probably more. 

- We do not know if a "day" in terms of the dance of Hysh & Ulgu is similar to our 24 hours, but is should be more or less the same. So weeks, months, years, etc. all depends on that : I hope the AOS RPG will gives us more informations on that regard. For example, we know Azyr have the Annals Celesitis and Ghyran have like 12 seasons for a year, or even more.

- The Age of Chaos lasts 500 years. In fact, it's the time during the closing of the Gates of Azyr (after the fall of the All-points and the Battle of the Burning Skies) and the Tempest of Sigmar (i.e. Stormcast Assault). In fact things started to get very bad long before that infamous battle, with the destruction of the Pantheon of Order, and the first Archaon-led invasions after the initial Deamons Incursion. The first century of the five after the closing of the gates is called the Red Century a saw the worst of the massacres. 

- The Age of Sigmar has lasted for circa 150 years already (several decades for the Realmgate Wars, several decades for the building and expansions of the Free Cities after the Season of war, now Malign Portents and the Soul Wars are in full swing...). 

- The Age of Myth is often referred to as having lasted Millennia. There is a few hints about that,. but it's fair to say between 10 to 40 Millennia. But it should be very very old. 

- Then there is the "World Before Time" era  : we don't know how many aeons passed between the End Times and the formation of the Mortal Realms in the Aetheric Void.

• Like 5

Hmm I thought Age of Chaos was 1K years 

For post realmwars I'd honestly think it greater than 150 years. In Heart of Winter novella there's a huge city that's grown up and even the aelves of that settlement seem to have not grown up during the time of Chaos. In addition the size of the city coupled to the likely life expectancy in the realms (of humans) and the generations who were raised within etc... I would think its closer to 200 or even 300 years. 

However its hard to pin down because a lot of the stories don't happen in a chronological order and if there is one its often a casual association. A strict time line is something I really wish GW would develop.

1 hour ago, Rogue Mind said:

For someone getting into AoS.  What books would you say are essential reads?  Is there a list for recommended read?  Thanks 

Check out older post in this thread, even got reviews. https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/21838-the-aos-lore-and-novels-thread/?page=4

1)City of Secrets/Callis and Toll series is a must read.

2) Also read The Eight Lamentations series.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Overread said:

Hmm I thought Age of Chaos was 1K years 

For post realmwars I'd honestly think it greater than 150 years. In Heart of Winter novella there's a huge city that's grown up and even the aelves of that settlement seem to have not grown up during the time of Chaos. In addition the size of the city coupled to the likely life expectancy in the realms (of humans) and the generations who were raised within etc... I would think its closer to 200 or even 300 years. 

However its hard to pin down because a lot of the stories don't happen in a chronological order and if there is one its often a casual association. A strict time line is something I really wish GW would develop.

This idea was a combinaison of two informations, the second one has been kind of "retconned" with AOS2.

634236821_WarhammerAOSTimeline.png.d2da09e54165ad1bd665d246692ca0ea.png

There is many many mentions of the Age of Chaos having lasted 500 years (so, "just" the duration of the closing of Azyr's Gates").

1619561836_RrealmgateWarsOpening_Summary.png.737e497ff766910a1c662dc0eb8dd9dc.png

• Like 2

Just want to make sure, is all-gate unique for each realm? I mean there is only one realmgate connecting each realm to the all-points?

7 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Just want to make sure, is all-gate unique for each realm? I mean there is only one realmgate connecting each realm to the all-points?

Apprently, yes. They are called Archways.

tumblr_p1xuymygnE1ummjd5o2_1280.png 

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Rogue Mind said:

For someone getting into AoS.  What books would you say are essential reads?  Is there a list for recommended read?  Thanks 

6 hours ago, michu said:

Two more recommendations @Rogue Mind:

-Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows - for Mortal Realms and their wonders from the perspective of ordinary human (on a mission from god :) )

-Realmslayer - for Mortal Realms from the perspective of someone who spent most of his life in the World-that-Was and doesn't understand what hapened

I second both of these recommendations they are absolutely great, Realmslayer especially if you're coming in from WHFB. I would read Auction of Blood first before Spear of Shadows though and then there's the Tainted Axe and Warclaw. Basically ever Eight Lamentations story is great imo.

I would also recommend giving Scourge of Fate a read if you're looking for something on the inner workings of Archaon's Varanguard along with how a chaos lord actually joins their ranks and a little look into life in the All Points/the new chaos wastes. 

Another good read is Shadespire: The Mirrored City, if you like Warhammer Underworlds and would like a little more info on the setting from the perspective of a regular old human who stumbles into the true city of Shadespire while looking for treasures in it's ruins then this is for you. It's pretty self contained and there's no apparent impact on the overarching narrative (at least at the moment) but it's got a lot of representation from various factions/races and it's also just a really good read honestly.

Be forewarned though - if you want the best out of Realmslayer you want to read the Gotrek And Felix stories to get a feel for the character and his colourful history. Also the nature of those stories is really great because its like a tour around the Old World as you meet and interact with loads of the various factions and places of importance from Nuln to the Chaos Wastes and back again*! 

I've made it through their first omnibus editions from BL and am eagerly awaiting the 3rd (thankfully there's the Ulrika Trilogy that follows on from the end of the second omnibus which is distracting me for now - tales of a newly turned vampire)

* a Dwarf's tale by Felix Jaeger

Any thought of this? Civilization? What civilization?

QQ截图20190508225741.png

From the Age of Myth. Before Sigmar came, and the other gods awoke. 

Maybe linked to the Seraphon and the Slann, but there is not hint other than they came early in the Mortal Realms in their space ships. 

Yeah that is a bit too strange to me

What civilisations can build wonders like realmgates without help of gods? And as far as I recall, when Sigmar woke up the realms are just forming up.

This new 'long-lost civilization' thing makes no sense to me at this stage, it is too abrupt.

Don't forget most civilizations post Realmgate wars are only pale shadows of their former selves and many are indeed quite lost. 

In Carrion Empire the human faction that fell to the plague that spreads the Flesh Eater infection, were once masters of great machinery. Powerful complex highly advanced machines that likely makes much that we use now in the Age of Sigmar seem like toys in comparison. Machines that, after their people fell, are now choked with blood and bone; worn through aeons of miss use and lack of maintenance. Yet still ripe picking for any bold Skaven willing to brave the mad ghouls and steal away some prized artifacts. 

In War Queen they detail a vast city that was protected by huge towers between which a wall of flame rose up from the ground and sea - a firewall that protected the peoples for many years but eventually fell and the city was destroyed by chaos. Rebuilt its still smaller and less impressive than it once was, though Sigmar's Stormcast did relight their mighty firewall. 

So in general the Age of Sigmar is one of rebuilding from the ashes, with many of the old peoples driven to madness and destroyed by roving hoards of Chaos. Remember at the start of Realmgate Wars many of the humans met then are nomadic or very few in number as they hid from the continual pressure of being hunted and hounded by Chaos Warlords, marauders and worshippers. So yep back in those ancient days those peoples could indeed build Realmgates ,but no longer. Indeed based on the wars conducted around them one might suppose that the technology is currently lost to all (save the Skaven who rip through reality in their own special way) 

15 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah that is a bit too strange to me

What civilisations can build wonders like realmgates without help of gods? And as far as I recall, when Sigmar woke up the realms are just forming up.

This new 'long-lost civilization' thing makes no sense to me at this stage, it is too abrupt.

Well, yes and no  when Sigmar is awaken by Dracothion, there is already civilization - it's the human, aelves and duardin that are still primitives. 

Most importantly, the Realmgates are already build. But that's indeed kinda strange. The gods themselves were able to create some gates later, but most of the Realmgates were already there when the gods came into being in the Mortal Realms. 

31 minutes ago, Overread said:

In War Queen they detail a vast city that was protected by huge towers between which a wall of flame rose up from the ground and sea - a firewall that protected the peoples for many years but eventually fell and the city was destroyed by chaos. Rebuilt its still smaller and less impressive than it once was, though Sigmar's Stormcast did relight their mighty firewall. 

I believe that's the city in Heart of Winter and not War Queen actually but that's an easy mistake to make I think, especially if you're reading them back to back. That novella does a really good job of describing what the locations looks like in it, the Black Ark was pretty nicely detailed as well.

15 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

I believe that's the city in Heart of Winter and not War Queen actually but that's an easy mistake to make I think, especially if you're reading them back to back. That novella does a really good job of describing what the locations looks like in it, the Black Ark was pretty nicely detailed as well.

Yes you're right I mixed up the titles! 

I agree they are great short stories and I really look forward to the net set coming in November. 

10 hours ago, Overread said:

Be forewarned though - if you want the best out of Realmslayer you want to read the Gotrek And Felix stories to get a feel for the character and his colourful history. Also the nature of those stories is really great because its like a tour around the Old World as you meet and interact with loads of the various factions and places of importance from Nuln to the Chaos Wastes and back again*! 

I've made it through their first omnibus editions from BL and am eagerly awaiting the 3rd (thankfully there's the Ulrika Trilogy that follows on from the end of the second omnibus which is distracting me for now - tales of a newly turned vampire)

* a Dwarf's tale by Felix Jaeger

I've read the first omnibus and dragonslayer in the second omnibus. They're great, though very formulaic.

From what I've heard and read in reviews, realmgate wars books are a little bit "make stories about models to sell models" rather than interesting books in their own right. BL just released the first omnibus of the realmgate wars- not sure if it's worth getting though. I'm currently reading Plague Garden, and it's a great read. It also makes stormcast really interesting and regenerated my interest in my own SC force. Josh Reynolds also frequently features the Order of the Fly nurgle force in his book, which are pretty interesting in their own right. I've read Undying King from Josh too, which also features the Order of the Fly, and is great. rt

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I've read the first omnibus and dragonslayer in the second omnibus. They're great, though very formulaic.

From what I've heard and read in reviews, realmgate wars books are a little bit "make stories about models to sell models" rather than interesting books in their own right. BL just released the first omnibus of the realmgate wars- not sure if it's worth getting though. I'm currently reading Plague Garden, and it's a great read. It also makes stormcast really interesting and regenerated my interest in my own SC force. Josh Reynolds also frequently features the Order of the Fly nurgle force in his book, which are pretty interesting in their own right. I've read Undying King from Josh too, which also features the Order of the Fly, and is great. rt

I have read all of the realmgate wars stuff. Some novels are better then others, I could link you  some reviews of the novels. If you want. 

By the way, check out some of the older post in this thread. I have posted some realmgate Wars novels and reviews already.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, xking said:

I have read all of the realmgate wars stuff. Some novels are better then others, I could link you  some reviews of the novels. If you want. 

By the way, check out some of the older post in this thread. I have posted some realmgate Wars novels and reviews already.

In general would you say they're worst than the post realmgate stuff? I thought Tainted Heart was the best AoS novel I've read, though Undying King and the short stories/novellas are also great. 

It's important to note that Sigmar and his Pantheon weren't the first gods in the Mortal Realms. Josh Reynolds often alluded to them in his books, especially the recent ones. In Soul Wars, Sigmar describes the 'King of Broken Constellations', the 'Devouring Light', the 'Abyssal Dukes' and 'Symr, the First Fire'.

It's also described that Nagash consumed the other death gods of Shyish, with the Malign Portents story The Forgotten Dead describing the last of those - Vannah, God of the Forgotten Dead.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

In general would you say they're worst than the post realmgate stuff? I thought Tainted Heart was the best AoS novel I've read, though Undying King and the short stories/novellas are also great. 

I liked them,  But  it's subjective.   I would say the biggest benefit for me is, I have a much fuller picture of the  overall story.    I witnessed when Gardus first struck in the realm of life or Vandus Hammerhand's first conflict with  Korghos Khul and the destruction his pyramid of skulls.   

I do however recommend reading "Mortarch of Night" before reading "Hallowed Knights: Black Pyramid" https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/mortarch-of-the-night-ebook.html 

Review: https://www.trackofwords.com/2017/12/29/mortarch-of-night-josh-reynolds-and-david-guymer/

I do think post realmgate stuff is when the novel authors were a lot more confident in the setting, Maps help.

Edited by xking
  • Like 2

I finished reading Black Pyramid recently; what an excellent book! It goes into so much detail about how Azyr establishes new cities with the interplay between the Ironweld, Collegate Arcane, Freeguild and Stormcast as well as the various layers of logistics and cartographers etc. 

The Realmgate Wars has some great novels but some of them didn’t do much than string out the stories from those original source-books (if that’s what you call them). My favourite by far was Warbeast as it was the first novel where I ‘got’ the Stormcast and the way the two chambers involved were contrasted was excellent .

Does anybody else get frustrated with the fact that nobody else they play seems to have read anything? I still play people who don’t really know what a Stormcast is or have any idea of places. The Battletomes are great but sometimes I feel like shaking people and forcing them to read some BL books. 

Any ideas on how to make the background more widely understood by people? 

• Like 5