The AoS lore and novels thread

The city of Excelsis.

D5oC4dYU0AAwP7o?format=jpg&name=large

D5oC4dSU8AIAZox?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

I want more art of the Cities.

• LOVE IT! 1

"The God-King stood before him, arrayed in golden war-plate. The air twisted about him, as if the realm were not quite able to bear his weight. He stood half a head higher than the tallest of his warriors, and there was an elemental strength to him – as if he were the raw fury of the storm, given solid form. But his presence was not merely physical. Sigmar’s immensity stretched beyond the boundaries of the corporeal, into spheres beyond the sight of mortal men. He was the cold gaze of the moon and the warm laugh of the sun. He was the sound of clashing steel, of avalanches and howling winds. To one possessing storm-sight, Sigmar appeared as a shard of the firmament itself. A being of pure starlight, impossible to look at for long. The God-King was Azyr, given mind and voice. In his merest gesture was the movement of worlds, and in his gaze, the flare of falling stars. Balthas blinked, trying to ignore what lay behind the mask of broad, too-human features. The face of a man aeons dead, out of whom a god had emerged"

Sigmar is the heavens in physical form and he is all encompassing in power.  Now if only GW could you get the stormcast and Sigmar to use any other move besides lightning bolt and thundershock.

3 minutes ago, xking said:

The face of a man aeons dead, out of whom a god had emerged"

Karl Franz? :D I always assumed Sigmar shedded that form during the age of myth, but if he didn't, this line is very interesting. Good old Karl being used as a meatpuppet. Oh dear.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Karl Franz? :D I always assumed Sigmar shedded that form during the age of myth, but if he didn't, this line is very interesting. Good old Karl being used as a meatpuppet. Oh dear.

No,  it's being more poetic about Sigmar himself ascending to divinity. 

His Mortal existence has ended and out of that a god was born. 

Edit: you should read Soul Wars by Josh Reynolds.

Edited by xking
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah the appearance of Sigmar in SW is very interesting and attractive, he looks like a true god-king of New high fantasy world as well as an echo of world-that-was

But Nagash...:S

Edited by Whitefang

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah the appearance of Sigmar in SW is very interest and attractive, he looks like a true god-king of high fantasy world as well as a echo of world-that-was

But Nagash...:S

Yeah, the whole novel was great, mostly.  my only problem I have with soul Wars and Josh's other novels that involve Nagash or Sigmar. Is this narrative of Sigmar viewing Nagash as his battle brother.  

I hate it, everytime I hear it. I'm like, Nagash is  a genocidal maniac that is literally trying to kill all your people and destroy all life.( you know, like he tried to do in the old world) Would you stop boo-hooing over getting betrayed by this egomaniac.

Anybody with a brain knew it was going to happen eventually, It's Nagash, he wants to be the star of the show.  So would you  hit him in the face with a hammer already.

Edited by xking
  • Haha 1

You know, sometimes I don't think the descriptions we get in battletomes actually do the world age of Sigmar Justice, Like art can. 

That art of Excelsis, makes you realize that when someone is talking about a castle in AoS. Is probably the size of a mountain.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, xking said:

Anybody with a brain knew it was going to happen eventually, It's Nagash, he wants to be the star of the show.  So would you  hit him in the face with a hammer already.

It always makes me laugh everytime I read the core book for it says as soon as Nagash was freed he secretly started the plan to make himself supreme, which means he betrayed Sigmar at once despite he was just released by Sigmar.

And years ago Sigmar still believes he can make friend with Nagash

Haha very funny

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, xking said:

Yeah, the whole novel was great, mostly.  my only problem I have with soul Wars and Josh's other novels that involve Nagash or Sigmar. Is this narrative of Sigmar viewing Nagash as his battle brother.  

I hate it, everytime I hear it. I'm like, Nagash is  a genocidal maniac that is literally trying to kill all your people and destroy all life.( you know, like he tried to do in the old world) Would you stop boo-hooing over getting betrayed by this egomaniac.

When you look at many of the Gods their actions are quite set in their ways. I liken it a little to very old people in that the Gods establish the way things are for themselves and the world around them and then get stuck in that way of thinking. For all their power and foresight and vast years of experience they often show up to being quite steadfast, set in their ways and short sighted. 

I think when you consider that all the Gods of AoS who are not Chaos Gods, are all once mortals (or in the case of Aelves at least partially mortal) who gained vast power. I wonder if during their transformation part of their mental development gets fixed at a singular point when they attain godhood. Therefore any change in thinking or attitude takes a very very long time to happen. Look at how the Everqueen hid for the best part of the Chaos Age. Despite her vast power she hid away and kept hiding and hiding until the corruption was lapping at her door and then spilling over. It was only a massive hammer strike change that made her react.

Sigmar is the same in how he relates to Nagash; whilst the Aelven Gods are also quite similar in how they are still quite like their mortal selves.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just finished J Reynolds ‘The Black Pyramid’. 

Loved this book. Didn’t want it to end. I am really starting to love the bad guys ie: nagash and especially manfred. I am really becoming attached to the stormcast retinue  with gardus taking on this new energy. I can’t get enough of the interplay with Ramus and Manfred - really tortured souls.

Really looking forward to the next instalment. 

Edited by Artobans Ghost
  • Like 1

The few short AoS stories in Maledictions are quite good as well. Widow tide and the last of the blood were good. Didn't really smack of product placement like some other novels can, and had me very engaged throughout. It also gives a few more looks into civilian life for people in the realms. Got a few more stories to go but so far I'm happy I got this book. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 1:01 PM, Artobans Ghost said:

Just finished J Reynolds ‘The Black Pyramid’. 

Loved this book. Didn’t want it to end. I am really starting to love the bad guys ie: nagash and especially manfred. I am really becoming attached to the stormcast retinue  with gardus taking on this new energy. I can’t get enough of the interplay with Ramus and Manfred - really tortured souls.

Really looking forward to the next instalment. 

I am looking forward to picking this one up, it's out in paperback soon!

Then there's this, another anthology ala Gods and Mortals!

BLComingSoon-MythsRevenants3kvr.jpg

After reading Maledictions I definitely am, really enjoyed reading those short stories.

Posted (edited)

Just to ask for a confirmation

Someone told me that the silver knight met by Araloth in plague garden in the ET  is Gardus

But when myself read through the Quest of Gal Maraz I never found any hint about what happened to Gardus during his adventure

So is that just some random internet shxt or I missed something?

Also found Oak of Ages become Oak of Ages Past in Mortal Realms, to be honest another funny name transformation haha

Edited by Whitefang

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Just to ask for a confirmation

Someone told me that the silver knight met by Araloth in plage garden in the ET  is Gardus

But when myself read through the Quest of Gal Maraz I never found any hint about what happened to Gardus during his adventure

So is that just some random internet shxt or I missed something?

Also found Oak of Ages become Oak of Ages Past in Mortal Realms, to be honest another funny name transformation haha

As far as I know there's nothing concrete or explained but it's implied/suspected to have been either him or Kaldor Draigo of the Grey Knights from 40k. I believe Kaldor Draigo is the more excepted theory however that would mean the Realm of Chaos/ The Warp and everything that resides there are one and the same, personally I think they don't want to mix the two settings so it probably was Gardus.

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Like 1

It's indeed Kaldor Draigo, the description in ET : Khaine fits him perfectly (impossibility for the Daemons to kill him whatsoever, his wrist armor firing fireballs, etc.).

TBH I really loved all the 40k-WFB links established during the ET...

But having a proper universe & cosmology for AOS is great too, it gives so much scope and freedom to the setting : and Chaos and the Seraphon are still distant links to 40k. 

• Thanks 2

For someone getting into AoS.  What books would you say are essential reads?  Is there a list for recommended read?  Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Rogue Mind said:

For someone getting into AoS.  What books would you say are essential reads?  Is there a list for recommended read?  Thanks 

The novellas series is a great start and what got me into AoS stuff, having only previously read fantasy stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rogue Mind said:

It depends how you want to get into it really. 

You can start with the Realmgate War novels (collected in ebook into 2 collected editions); though they can be a bit of a slog since they are mostly the same theme - stormcast going to epic war against Chaos. They detail the opening of the Age as Sigmar opened the Gates and let loose his legions upon a the Chaos infested realms. They at least help establish the general themes early on and show you the world being freed from extreme corruption.

They make an ideal read before advancing into Soul Wars and the such stories. 

However if you've read the Big Rule Book lore you could also jupm into something like the Inferno novels which are shorter stories and more select. Another option would be the Novellas that GW did for AoS; a bit longer than short stories, but shorter than a full novel so they can flesh out themes a little better. These miight be easier to get into as they are more bite-sized adventures and stories. 

After that its really down to what you want as there's plenty of one-shot adventures and battles to read depending on what factions you like (not all have their own books though) 

• Like 1

@hughwyeth @Overread thanks for the advise.

It's really to get a feel how the world of AoS came to be and the lead up to Soul Wars.  Some BL books are bit tedious to read and i feel sometimes they are written for the sake of filling a gap.   

I think the early Realmwars fall into that somewhat, I don't fully blame the authors though. I think they got handed a totally new setting and possibly not enough info to build it up plus being tied to making them campaign books that had to be about battles only. There's almost no downtime in them save at the start of one or two - the rest is full on war which can be tricky to build a world setting around. 

I tihnk its greatly not helped by the fact that the Mythic and Chaos ages - two VAST periods of time - are basically hardly mentioned and most of the lore we have bout them could likely be summarised on a single page of A4. So Age of Sigmar sort of tried to be like Lord of the Rings and jump in the middle without fleshing out the first part; with the key difference being that the authors also didn't have it fleshed out enough in backstory too. 

Some of the earlier books do suffer, but here are some gems too. Pestilens (best to get as part of the Omnibus edition because that has a few more stories within it which flesh out the Fyreslayers and Sylvanath) is a fantastic book that plays with the Skaven (who likely are one of the easier factions to write about in AoS since they are very similar to their Old World version - of all the factions they've gone through the least amount of changes). 

• Like 1

Two more recommendations @Rogue Mind:

-Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows - for Mortal Realms and their wonders from the perspective of ordinary human (on a mission from god :) )

-Realmslayer - for Mortal Realms from the perspective of someone who spent most of his life in the World-that-Was and doesn't understand what hapened