Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

Eight Lamentations: Auction of Blood(Short story)(Prequel to Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows) https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/quick-reads/auction-of-blood-ebook.html

Review: https://www.trackofwords.com/2017/08/25/quick-review-auction-of-blood-josh-reynolds/

Auction of Blood

Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/getting-started/spear-of-shadows-ebook.html

Review: https://www.trackofwords.com/2018/06/20/eight-lamentations-spear-of-shadows-josh-reynolds/

Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows

Eight Lamentations: The Tainted Axe (Short story)(sequel to Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows) https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/quick-reads/the-tainted-axe-eshort.html

Review: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37587419-eight-lamentations

Eight Lamentations: The Tainted Axe

There WAS "Eight Lamentations: War-Claw"(audio drama) as well.  But it is missing from black library.

20 hours ago, xking said:

Eight Lamentations: Auction of Blood(Short story)(Prequel to Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows) https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/quick-reads/auction-of-blood-ebook.html

I wouldn't say that Auction of Blood is a Prequel because we don't really know in that book, what the Eight Lamenations are.

Spear of Shadows and Auction of Blood, are more parallel stories in the timeline.

We only know that Warclaw takes place after both stories because it is a sequel of Spear of Shadows and another Weapon is out of reach for Grungni (the one from Auction of Blood).

Sadly I haven't read the Tainted Axe yet, so I can't say where in the timeline this one is exactly.

21 hours ago, xking said:

Hallowed Knights: A Dirge of Dust and Steel (Short story)(Prequel to Hallowed KnightsBlack Pyramid)  

Are those really related? A Dirge of Dust and Steel is a Vanguard Auxillary Chamber Story against Slaanesh Daemons, while the description of Black Pyramid sounds more like a sequel to "The Prisoner of the Black Sun", "Sands of Blood" or "Great Red"

In case of the Callis & Toll line, the sidestory "heart of winter" is missing. It's a sequelstory to silvershard, with Arika Zenthe the Scourge Privateer Captain as Protagonist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EMMachine said:

I wouldn't say that Auction of Blood is a Prequel because we don't really know in that book, what the Eight Lamenations are.

Spear of Shadows and Auction of Blood, are more parallel stories in the timeline.

We only know that Warclaw takes place after both stories because it is a sequel of Spear of Shadows and another Weapon is out of reach for Grungni (the one from Auction of Blood).

Sadly I haven't read the Tainted Axe yet, so I can't say where in the timeline this one is exactly.

Are those really related? A Dirge of Dust and Steel is a Vanguard Auxillary Chamber Story against Slaanesh Daemons, while the description of Black Pyramid sounds more like a sequel to "The Prisoner of the Black Sun", "Sands of Blood" or "Great Red"

In case of the Callis & Toll line, the sidestory "heart of winter" is missing. It's a sequelstory to silvershard, with Arika Zenthe the Scourge Privateer Captain as Protagonist.

I would say "Auction of Blood"  is more standalone , yes.   

"A Dirge of Dust and Steel"   is definitely a Prequel to Black Pyramid. The story is about a Vanguard Auxillary Chamber helping a clan of dwarfs(that worship a dwarf god of death) banish a Slaanesh Greater Daemon, in order to gain them as allies.  At the beginning of "Black Pyramid" this same Vanguard Chamber and Dwarf Clan are now working together to take the realmgate in the city.

7 hours ago, EMMachine said:

About Tainted Axe - it is certainly takes place after The Spear of Shadows and tells a story of demigryph knight, Sir Rogen, after he parted ways with Grungni-team.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Adolmaea said:

About Tainted Axe - it is certainly takes place after The Spear of Shadows and tells a story of demigryph knight, Sir Rogen, after he parted ways with Grungni-team.

Hey thanks. So its most likely a parallel story to Warclaw

Edited by EMMachine
I had the wrong title here

5 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Hey thanks. So its most likely a parallel story to Warcry.

You are welcome)

By the way, wasn't there another part of The Eight Lamentations - Knight of the Fly, I think? Haven't read this one, only know , that this is about a knights of Nurgle.

18 minutes ago, Adolmaea said:

You are welcome)

By the way, wasn't there another part of The Eight Lamentations - Knight of the Fly, I think? Haven't read this one, only know , that this is about a knights of Nurgle.

You might be thinking of "Order of the Fly: Tourney of Fate" which is the beginning of a different series. It takes place after *all* of the previous Order of the Fly stories, including "The Tainted Axe".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone who wants a list of all AoS Fiction releases, I keep them all organized on the bookshelf of this Goodreads group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/180883-the-mortal-realms-of-the-age-of-sigmar

Go to bookshelf and sort by date started to get them in release order, or use any of the categories to get a filtered view of different storylines.

Also, I'm starting to fill out a completely unnecessary and convoluted blog set-up to more centrally display information about each of the releases here:

https://www.themortalrealms.com/talesfromtherealms

There's only a handful of entries currently, but I'm hoping it will end up sort of a one-stop-shop for a given book, displaying more info than what you'd see on the BL website. I dunno, maybe it's dumb. Huge work in progress.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JReynolds said:

You might be thinking of "Order of the Fly: Tourney of Fate" which is the beginning of a different series. It takes place after *all* of the previous Order of the Fly stories, including "The Tainted Axe".

I'm just about to start Hammerhal and Plague Garden! Is there a best order to read the Hallowed Knights series in?

Edited by hughwyeth

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, dosaceos said:

Not to speak for him, but something like this is what I go off of:

https://www.themortalrealms.com/age-of-reynolds

Wow that's pretty impressive! Guess i start with Plague Garden then!

46 minutes ago, JReynolds said:

This is probably better than any list I could make. Though I do intend to make one, at some point. 

The list made me remember you wrote Nagash Undying King- i loved that book! Really humanised the death faction for me (if that's not a contradiction...)

Edited by hughwyeth

So has anyone picked up maledictions yet? I think there are some AoS horror stories in there?

Posted (edited)

After reading some of the 'current times' lore I'm finally going back and reading The Realmgate Wars (vol 1 & 2) to see everything from the start as it were. I know the early books, and arguably Realmgate Wars as a whole, had mixed reviews but for the most part I'm enjoying what I've read so far. The thing that has put me off most, though, is how in The Gates of Azyr  Chris Wraight describes the followers of Khorne interacting with magic in ways which seem entirely counter to how the rest of the lore describes Khorne hating magic and magic users.

I've read a few things from the Old World but I'm not familiar with Chris' work, though I do know he has written some 40k novels. It does come across like he's unfamiliar with the AoS/Fantasy background (though I'm pretty sure it's the same in 40k's version of Khorne) and was told certain key points about the universe but they forgot to tell him about Khorne and magic. Quickly flicking through now I'm struggling to find a specific example but if I find one later I'll edit this post with it. It was more of a general feeling of how it came across.

Just wondering whether anyone else noticed anything similar, as in a key part of the lore that a writer seems to have missed in an otherwise good story? Something jarring which tinges your enjoyment of the whole?

The later books (set more recently in the timeline) are very good. Maybe it's just that Realmgate Wars, and Gates of Azyr in particular, were so early and it hadn't found its feet. But then again, why launch the whole series with a weak link?

*Edit*

I've also noticed that the Prosecutors are described differently in Gates of Azyr to how they are described in the battletome. The book says their hammers turn into balls of energy which they then fire from the palm of their hands like Iron Man but the battletome describes it more like they throw the hammers, which are already like energy hammers, not a ball shot from the palm of the hand. In the grand scheme of things it is only a small detail which makes little difference either way, but it's the small details which jar with me as a reader and inhibits immersion. Especially as I personally think the battletome version is more 'realistic' and, quite frankly, cooler.

IMG_20190424_083628724.jpg

IMG_20190424_083640183.jpg

Edited by The Mysterious Mr B
Added detail

IIRC in The Gates of Azyr the Stormcasts don’t even return to the heavens on a bolt of lightning, they just... die. It’s extremely primitive lore-wise. Sigmarchaeologists in the future will probably have a lot to say about it.

• Like 1