Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

I don’t think it’s very helpful to just post links to the books without an actual review or something more than a one liner. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Austin said:

I don’t think it’s very helpful to just post links to the books without an actual review or something more than a one liner. 

Check out goodreads. People are always posting reviews on there.  Also remember  reviews are subjective,  I think it is best to take a chance and  experience a story for yourself and see if you like it.   What I will say is in my opinion, none of the story I posted are bad.(excect for the khorne one as I have not read it yet)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42789260-hamilcar

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41218262-neferata-mortarch-of-blood

http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2018/01/review-overlords-of-iron-dragon.html

11 minutes ago, xking said:

Check out goodreads. People are always posting reviews on there.  Also remember  reviews are subjective,  I think it is best to take a chance and  experience a story for yourself and see if you like it.   What I will say is in my opinion, none of the story I posted are bad.(excect for the khorne one as I have not read it yet)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42789260-hamilcar

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41218262-neferata-mortarch-of-blood

http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2018/01/review-overlords-of-iron-dragon.html

Yeah of course.  Reviews are good to go. I meant just linking the BL page. 

Does anyone know if there are any AOS novels written with Morathi and her Daughters of Khaine involved?

On 4/17/2019 at 11:11 AM, Acid_Nine said:

Has anyone read any of the idoneth short stories? I'm interested but I wonder if they are fun reads.

The Sea Taketh is amazing. Highly recommend. 

The Learning is not good at all. Skip. 

6 hours ago, Austin said:

The Sea Taketh is amazing. Highly recommend. 

The Learning is not good at all. Skip. 

Oh the learning was one I looked at. Why is it bad?

34 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Oh the learning was one I looked at. Why is it bad?

The characters are flat and the story outright contradicts the lore in the Idoneth Battletome.

It is even worse, and more confusing, if you have read The Sea Taketh which has an outstandingly creepy atmosphere and the characters feel like they have compelling backstories even though you don't know them.

Same author, very different outcomes.

19 minutes ago, Austin said:

The characters are flat and the story outright contradicts the lore in the Idoneth Battletome.

It is even worse, and more confusing, if you have read The Sea Taketh which has an outstandingly creepy atmosphere and the characters feel like they have compelling backstories even though you don't know them.

Same author, very different outcomes.

Now I'm facinated by how it contradicts the battletome! But now I am definitely getting the sea taketh. Is the one on the war of life any good?

13 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Now I'm facinated by how it contradicts the battletome! But now I am definitely getting the sea taketh. Is the one on the war of life any good?

I think the war of life one you are talking about is about Sylvaneth, not Deepkin. 

The Learning revolves around breaking and blinding Deepmares. 

1 minute ago, Austin said:

I think the war of life one you are talking about is about Sylvaneth, not Deepkin. 

The Learning revolves around breaking and blinding Deepmares. 

You're right! I meant the deeper shade by accident.

Also from the deep is a deep in story that may seem good? But I'm getting sick of deep being used in the title...

And isn't a deep mare literally the only one that can't be broken and fights willingly? Kinda a misstep.

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

You're right! I meant the deeper shade by accident.

Also from the deep is a deep in story that may seem good? But I'm getting sick of deep being used in the title...

And isn't a deep mare literally the only one that can't be broken and fights willingly? Kinda a misstep.

Yeah.  Kinda wrecked the story for me.

Alright so I picked up the three books I mentioned (the deeper shade, the sea taketh and from the deep,) and only the sea taketh was actually about idoneth. It was rather disappointing that the deeper shade seemed to be setting up the idoneth, but rather just followed a tzeench sorcerer as he fought a totally unrelated beast. From the deep is about... I have no bloody clue, but I think it's sylvaneth. 

The sea taketh, though, was really bloody good! I want more for idoneth though...

26 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Alright so I picked up the three books I mentioned (the deeper shade, the sea taketh and from the deep,) and only the sea taketh was actually about idoneth. It was rather disappointing that the deeper shade seemed to be setting up the idoneth, but rather just followed a tzeench sorcerer as he fought a totally unrelated beast. From the deep is about... I have no bloody clue, but I think it's sylvaneth. 

The sea taketh, though, was really bloody good! I want more for idoneth though...

Back in June of 2018 I emailed David Guymer to tell him how much I enjoyed the story, and he said he was writing an Idoneth novel.  Maybe it’s still on the back burner for release?

• Like 1

Any good novels featuring Ironjawz? Haven't seen much destruction related things around.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shankelton said:

Any good novels featuring Ironjawz? Haven't seen much destruction related things around.

The  "Fury of Gork" by Josh Reynolds. It's more of a standalone book, so you don't need to read anything else. https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/fury-of-gork-ebook.html     

Review https://www.trackofwords.com/2017/07/20/fury-of-gork-josh-reynolds/

Book 7: Fury of Gork

Edited by xking
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good day, everyone. Just decided to add a review and share my opinion on a particular AoS book.  I hope it will be of some use.

Gav Thorpe. The Warbeast. https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/warbeast-ebook.html

Frankly, I wasn't planning to read this book - my initial impressions with "The Realmgate Wars" series were like "Oh, AoS own bolter-******". Thankfully, I still decided to try Warbeast and was quite happy about a result. So, finally, a review itself (no spoilers).

Warbeast, actually, this is a story of two main characters - lords-celestants from two different stormhosts. Arkas Warbeast, leading a small-sized force of veterans from Celestial Vindicators. And Theuderis Silverhand with much larger force of Knights-Excelsior (something along two thousands or a little more), but without any battle experience as stormcasts (aside from Gladiatorium). Their task is to join forces in the Realm of Ghur and capture a Realmgate from servants of Chaos.

Without getting further into the story - Warbeast mixing personal stories of those celestants and their warriors with a far bigger things. Realmgate Wars started not so long ago and consequences of Reforging - still mostly grim rumors, while many stormcasts keep vivid memories of their mortal lives. While originally different mostly because of their cultures and previous lives, through their quest other qualities, for which they were chosen for a particular stormhost, will be revealed. Also, both stormhosts  are already using completely different tactics, with Celestial Vindicators being more like a force o nature, striking hard and fast, while Knights-Excelsior relying heavily on different formation and controlling a battlefield with drilled perfection and almost automaton level of coordination. The last, but not the least thing about this book, is a small glimpse at Sigmar's vast war machine - the one, which breaks his chosen warriors, forging them into living instruments of retribution - no more but also no less. And this part is, frankly, can be both more reassuring and more frightening, presenting reveals with a something, much closer to true force of total Order, rather than just warriors, protecting their lives and lands from some cosmic horror.

So, overall, this is a quite interesting book, providing new angles to look at stormcasts, their role and their sacrifices.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

What stories would people recommend to better explain what the Stormcast are?

You know how all matter is basically just solid energy? at their simplest, stormcast were mortals who souls are infused with a fragment of Sigmar's divine power and their bodies are made from the Heavenly magic of Ayzr. 

The question is surprisingly hard and easy to answer. The stormcast are demigods. They are a duality of the mortal and the divine,  of the mundane and the fantastical.  They are very human and at the same time, they are far beyond humans.

As for the process of how they are made/reforged being shown within novels. I suppose there are two examples, 2 books where we see the Anvil of Apotheosis. 

In the novel "Soul Wars" we see the Anvil of apotheosis and the process of reforging in this story it is described in a more magical scientific manner. With the Anvil existing in a vast domed chamber with an altar at the center.  

However in the novel "hamilcar: champion of the Gods" the Anvil of Apotheosis is an entire Sub-Realm with  weird dimensions with countless stairways and doors. This version of the Anvil is much more metaphysical. We even get to meet one of the Six Smiths, the dwarf demigods who reforge the stormcast and make their weapons and armor.

Edited by xking
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Adolmaea said:

Good day, everyone. Just decided to add a review and share my opinion on a particular AoS book.  I hope it will be of some use.

Gav Thorpe. The Warbeast. https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/warbeast-ebook.html

Frankly, I wasn't planning to read this book - my initial impressions with "The Realmgate Wars" series were like "Oh, AoS own bolter-******". Thankfully, I still decided to try Warbeast and was quite happy about a result. So, finally, a review itself (no spoilers).

Warbeast, actually, this is a story of two main characters - lords-celestants from two different stormhosts. Arkas Warbeast, leading a small-sized force of veterans from Celestial Vindicators. And Theuderis Silverhand with much larger force of Knights-Excelsior (something along two thousands or a little more), but without any battle experience as stormcasts (aside from Gladiatorium). Their task is to join forces in the Realm of Ghur and capture a Realmgate from servants of Chaos.

Without getting further into the story - Warbeast mixing personal stories of those celestants and their warriors with a far bigger things. Realmgate Wars started not so long ago and consequences of Reforging - still mostly grim rumors, while many stormcasts keep vivid memories of their mortal lives. While originally different mostly because of their cultures and previous lives, through their quest other qualities, for which they were chosen for a particular stormhost, will be revealed. Also, both stormhosts  are already using completely different tactics, with Celestial Vindicators being more like a force o nature, striking hard and fast, while Knights-Excelsior relying heavily on different formation and controlling a battlefield with drilled perfection and almost automaton level of coordination. The last, but not the least thing about this book, is a small glimpse at Sigmar's vast war machine - the one, which breaks his chosen warriors, forging them into living instruments of retribution - no more but also no less. And this part is, frankly, can be both more reassuring and more frightening, presenting reveals with a something, much closer to true force of total Order, rather than just warriors, protecting their lives and lands from some cosmic horror.

So, overall, this is a quite interesting book, providing new angles to look at stormcasts, their role and their sacrifices.

This was a good read, but the whole time I was thinking that Arkas and his Celestial Vindicators should really have been Astral Templars. Everything about their personality screams Astral Templars.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

What stories would people recommend to better explain what the Stormcast are?

Sacrosanct is a pretty interesting one to start with, and a short story. I think SC are getting more interesting recently, so newer books will likely humanise them more than the older ones. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)