Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

Does anyone know why Josh Reynolds parted ways with Black Library?  Man his books and audio dramas were SO good.  grrrr.  

Go to page 22 on this thread.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:30 AM, JReynolds said:

It was a mutual parting of the ways.  My schedule has tightened considerably over the past twenty-odd months, and something had to give. Nothing sinister, just business. 

And agreed, he was my favorite author too. He made some amazing stuff, here's wishing him the best. :)

• Like 3

Hm, today is preorder for The Hammer and the Eagle. After I have seen that there is a german translation as well I first was excited until when I looked at the stories. There are way more 40k Stories than AoS and those that are inluded were printed before in other books (like Gods & Mortals or Sacrosanct and other Stories).

The stories included are:

• The Dance of the Skulls by David Annandale
  • Ghosts of Demesnu by Josh Reynolds
  • One, Untended by David Guymer
  • Gods’ Gift by David Guymer
  • The Old Ways by Nick Horth
  • Hunting Shadows by Andy Clark
  • Shiprats by C L Werner

So it's not all that interesting as  I first thought (if there isn't a AoS Story that I have overlooked.

• Like 1

Thanks for the summary, its a shame but BL has often done this with the short stories; publishing them in a mixed mess (esp with AoS). It's neat for those getting into it, but can be annoying for thos who are following along already. 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Thanks for the summary, its a shame but BL has often done this with the short stories; publishing them in a mixed mess (esp with AoS). It's neat for those getting into it, but can be annoying for thos who are following along already. 

Yeah, especially when we think that pages could have been used in a better way if they have Printed "The Neverspike" as a Gotrek Story instead of  "One, Untended" or " The Age of Enlightenment" for Hamilcar instead of "God's gift".

This way they would have released two stories that don't have an physical release yet (but I don't know if those would have been good "start here" stories.)

German Translations is even worst. Because we have about 210 Stories on Black Library and only 47 Translated.

Still waiting for the Book Release on Inferno 5, that wasn't on GW side yet (only the epub during Corona lockdown), and someone of the customerservice said it will still come out.

• Like 1

My one BL worry is that they've not just slowed down but I don't see any more Old World stories getting updated into their collected editions. 

4 hours ago, EMMachine said:

This way they would have released two stories that don't have an physical release yet (but I don't know if those would have been good "start here" stories.)

Yeah, though I agree with your physical release idea I feel "starter" is the intention as "The Old Ways" and "Shiprats" were both solid Sacrosanct stories to show off both how crazy places in the realms can be (a Chamonian mountain top oriental city that makes tapestries out of mineral fibers and worships a peace daemon that turned from chaos) and the more mysterious  & political places too(Excelsis' spider plantation forts dealing with both Azyr bloodline feuds and the ancient lands the Reclaimed natives warn them about resettling over).

The stories don't intertwine with others making new readers wonder if they missed something but also give lots of exciting narrative ideas to build off and pull them into the Mortal Realms. (Though I don't think anything can top how Sacrosanct jump-cut the Realmgate stories so one ends on "we can trust Mannfred" to the next beginning on "I'm gonna strangle that backstabber!" xD )

But yeah, no surprise 40k's getting the lion's share right now.

However i'll settle for tablescraps if it mean we'll get some mega-gargant sized portions in the near future. ;)

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Yeah, though I agree with your physical release idea I feel "starter" is the intention as "The Old Ways" and "Shiprats" were both solid Sacrosanct stories to show off both how crazy places in the realms can be (a Chamonian mountain top oriental city that makes tapestries out of mineral fibers and worships a peace daemon that turned from chaos) and the more mysterious  & political places too(Excelsis' spider plantation forts dealing with both Azyr bloodline feuds and the ancient lands the Reclaimed natives warn them about resettling over).

The stories don't intertwine with others making new readers wonder if they missed something but also give lots of exciting narrative ideas to build off and pull them into the Mortal Realms. (Though I don't think anything can top how Sacrosanct jump-cut the Realmgate stories so one ends on "we can trust Mannfred" to the next beginning on "I'm gonna strangle that backstabber!" xD )

But yeah, no surprise 40k's getting the lion's share right now.

However i'll settle for tablescraps if it mean we'll get some mega-gargant sized portions in the near future. ;)

Did you read this ?  https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/featured/lady-of-sorrows-ebook-2020.html

Posted (edited)

Not yet. I prefer physical books that I either order online or go to my book stores like Barnes and Noble to see what AoS offerings they have(good places to find the stuff they changed into e-book only :) )

It's on my holiday hobby list though.

Why? Did you find any enticing tidbits in it? :D

Edited by Baron Klatz

8 hours ago, Overread said:

My one BL worry is that they've not just slowed down but I don't see any more Old World stories getting updated into their collected editions. 

Yeah this is a shame- I much prefer physical books to e-books still. I remember seeing a cover for a warhammer chronicles for the two Archaon books, but it never came out.

Even if they don't release physical, the ebook versions were ideal, especially because there are a LOT of Old World stories and the collected editions are an affordable and simple way to pick them up. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

I think rereleasing Cities of Secrets would more of "Start here" because it is the actual start of Callis & Toll, while "The Old Ways" was only a shortstory between City of Secrets and The Silvershard.

Those "Start Here" Stories are often somewhere in the middle

9 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

"Hammerhal and other Stories" was maybe my second Book I read and looking at it after reading both Realmgate Wars Omnibus Books this one was the worst. Taking single Shortstories that were basicly Part 1 of multiple stories.

6 hours ago, xking said:

I doesn't own Lady of Sorrows yet. I rarely buy Hardcover Books. I will wait for the paperback most likely.  Even though it screwed me up years ago with "Labyrinth of the Lost"

9 hours ago, Overread said:

I think the strangest thing is, that in the in the german version of Hammer and the Eagle is a Story called Aenarion that most likely is a WHFB Story. I have the feeling the german and the english book have different stories (and the german book has even less AoS Stories inside it even though Gods gift for excample had a german translation in another book 🤨 . At first I had hoped that I would get a translation for Hunting Shadows which isn't in the german book either. Don't know what BL is thinking.

5 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Not yet. I prefer physical books that I either order online or go to my book stores like Barnes and Noble to see what AoS offerings they have(good places to find the stuff they changed into e-book only :) )

It's on my holiday hobby list though.

Why? Did you find any enticing tidbits in it?

I'm wondering, is there an app like the Black Library Audioapp where you can buy epubs with Googleplay instead of having either an subscription or having to use a creditcard to pay? Still have some stories missing in my case.

Edited by EMMachine

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fellman said:

Is this novel relesed in pepper back?
Inferno! Volume 5

At least not on GW-Webshop or Black Libraray. I said something about this some posts above.

18 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Still waiting for the Book Release on Inferno 5, that wasn't on GW side yet (only the epub during Corona lockdown), and someone of the customerservice said it will still come out.

Edited by EMMachine
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Finished the Lady of Sorrows, it's hard to describe the story without spoiling it but I will say this. It's an okay story, with okay characters. I can see what CL Werner was attempting to do, but the twist would of been better if handled differently. That's all I can say without giving it away. Overall the book is 7/10 in my opinion. 

Now for the spoilers? I recommend not to read it if you want to read the book, the spoiler will make the twist lose impact and it details the end. 

Jahangir is not the main character. He gets killed off within the first quarter, I can see CL Werner was trying to subvert our expectations with the book, but I think the story he wanted to tell would've been served in a better vehicle by keeping Jahangir as the protagonist. In trying to subvert your expectations he has to take time to build all these characters which is easier said than done in a 200+ page novel now this might be a hit with some people and others it might not. I'm the latter category. I would've liked a story where the hero slides into a state of despair and corruption only to realise in the end how futile the quest was after everyone placed his hopes on him. Instead this story is given to a group of characters I don't really care all that much about. Out of the group Mahyar was the most interesting in my opinion. Now, I do have to say when I picked up the book I told a mate of mine who worked at the GW if Lady Olynder loses I am going to be annoyed, she's a mortarch. I'm glad she doesn't.

Edited by shinros
  • Like 4

On 7/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, Baron Klatz said:

Go to page 22 on this thread.

And agreed, he was my favorite author too. He made some amazing stuff, here's wishing him the best. :)

Ugh,.. well.. thanks.

Yeah I miss him.  He probably started making more money elsewhere.  I cannot see BL nor GW being prime employers career-wise.  Most the famous authors have side gigs for writing or came into GW.

Looking forward to the Lumineth novel with slaanesh. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/17/2020 at 3:29 AM, shinros said:

Finished the Lady of Sorrows, it's hard to describe the story without spoiling it but I will say this.

Honestly the moment I saw the title I kinda knew the protagonists would get kicked in the ass

The story is pretty ok-meh level for me since nothing special and surprising happened like any battletome-ish shortcut

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 1

Ties of Blood is a quite interesting story, giving a little into the mind of a Slaanesh Leader. Savrian is still viewed quite human instead of being shown as a monster.

I would have liked it to read more about Savrian but their are most likely only prequels possible not sequels.

• Like 2

Love the Brightspear Skyport, totally different to how I've imagined (& seen) them before. Really makes me think of Anish Kapoor's Orbit Tower in London.

AoS_SSRG_0045_The-Highport-1200x3046.jpg

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Love the Brightspear Skyport, totally different to how I've imagined (& seen) them before. Really makes me think of Anish Kapoor's Orbit Tower in London.

AoS_SSRG_0045_The-Highport-1200x3046.jpg

The AOS rpg is really fleshing out the setting. I want more books like this.

• Like 2

Are they using a gryphcharger as a beast of burden in that picture?  I get the breaking the ground because of chaos corruption in the background of the picture that just fuddles me a little that a creature that is more intelligent than a horse and can run faster than the speed of sound would be used to haul tools and the such.

also does anyone remember other mounts and things from the novels?  I remember the man and woman who were riding lizard creatures through a swamp and some thing that was described in the Hamilcar short story were he fought the shaven mech thing as being described as being huge like a stonehorn.  Never thought of the gryphchargers as anything like that but I suppose anything is possible in the mortal realms.

Edited by Gorthor21

On 9/3/2020 at 3:48 AM, xking said:

thanks.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:37 AM, EMMachine said:

Ties of Blood is a quite interesting story, giving a little into the mind of a Slaanesh Leader. Savrian is still viewed quite human instead of being shown as a monster.

I would have liked it to read more about Savrian but their are most likely only prequels possible not sequels.

I will go buy it now thanks!!

Has anyone read the Lumineth novel?  I'm specifically after the Slaanesh part.  I don't want to re-read pre-heresy Eldar/old HE lore in AoS as much as I want to read about more Slaanesh.