Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

Posted (edited)

In 2017 the Facebook said you could fit the entirety of the world-that-was in the Great Parch.

EDIT: HUP, guess I got reforged because my memory is going. I rechecked that old Facebook post and it was about Ghyran's Seeds of Hope map being that huge. Not the Great Parch. So no retcon, it's always been Eurasia sized, just my bad memory. 😕

Massive enough to be it's own multi-biome world map, from arctics to volcano forests and void oceans, as the common ground.

As for Hammerhal that is in the Shadows over Hammerhal guidebook:

"Directly from shadows over hammerhal guidebook the very first page of it.

Known as Hammerhal Aqsha and Hammerhal Ghyra, together they are large enough to cover an entire continent. "

The recent community article also gives an interesting note that the realmgate is so massive that is dominates the skies of both parts of the city.

"They also share a symbiotic culture and economy, connected by the colossal Stormrift Realmgate that dominates the skyline on both sides. This portal, that joins one realm to the other, allows free movement of goods, people and military forces.

In ages past, this gargantuan Realmgate, previously known as Mork’s Maw, "

AoS rule of thumb is just larger than life which makes it so fun.

At least the previous examples are more tame than the city-scape mountains of over-populated Azyr.  xD

"City Planet: Azyrheim a city so large that even a lifetime is not enough to go from one end to another. It has entire mountains created from the combined rooftops of low-level slums to high-level mansions and in some places time flows faster and in some slower."

Edited by Baron Klatz

16 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

In 2017 the Facebook said you could fit the entirety of the world-that-was in the Great Parch.

So they might go back and forth on it's vast size. Massive enough to be it's own multi-biome world map, from arctics to volcano forests and void oceans, as the common ground.

Yeah, it's actually funny when you than read"The Red Feast" where all Tribes of the Great Parch send armies to Vanx first and then when the Red Feast is announce they traveled in a time of about 2 weeks to the Aqshy Clavis-Islands by boats, which should have take way longer when the world was as large as the old world.

• Like 1

Author must have watched too much Game of Thrones and their teleporting armies. xD 

Though at least that makes more sense in the Mortal Realms with portals and magic everywhere/in everything. Heck, the powerful fiery winds in Aqshy would be enough of an excuse why the boats traveled so quickly at an ensorcelled pace.

Also nice of GW to put some light on Lake Lethis again.

106214120_1379336238929832_5357894237843

Leave it to an undead lake battle to put the murky in Mercs. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Directly from shadows over hammerhal guidebook the very first page of it.

Known as Hammerhal Aqsha and Hammerhal Ghyra, together they are large enough to cover an entire continent. "

Well by Phil Kelly this is actually a slippery of writing, an exaggeration rather than real scale description. He says the Hammerhal is still massive, “as large as modern London” but certainly not on the same size of a continent. 

And yeah from description in Soulbound, the great patch is around the same size of Eurasia. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Well I prefer the grander scale like with Azyrheim but i'll accept those interpretations too since they're easier to write around and still convey the enormous size of the realmscapes as it is with Hammerhal Aqshy's merchant quarters becoming slums because of how fast the city continues to expand and grow which robs them of their trade lanes in it from sheer size.

Regardless, the whole point was to say the realm of light isn't that small because the maps are still kept vague.

I think a telling thing will be when they describe the central mountain continent in detail and how large the human cities are in it. That'll give the best rough estimate of how many regular worlds can fit in that realm(probably 4 across since everything in Hysh has to be symmetrical and balanced).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Well by Phil Kelly this is actually a slippery of writing, an exaggeration rather than real scale description. He says the Hammerhal is still massive, “as large as modern London” but certainly not on the same size of a continent. 

And yeah from description in Soulbound, the great patch is around the same size of Eurasia. 

I like my AoS to be epic fantasy with maga cites, so no thanks.

Edited by xking
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Wow, that ends my "it's like coruscant but in the mortal realms"😂🤑🤑

Posted (edited)

There's always Azyrheim and other city-covered worlds/celestial palaces in the realm of heaven. ;)

27 minutes ago, xking said:

I like my AoS to be epic fantasy with maga cites, so no thanks.

Hear hear!

We have huge cities on mountains/volcanoes, on life trees, on floating continents, on sky trees, on titanic worms, in vast craters enough to fit kingdoms, on monster boneyards, on continent-sized leviathans and on ruins that reach into the aether.

The epic must keep going further beyond!

Next stop,  cities built on Mega-gargant towers. Accept nothing less!

(Example):

Edited by Baron Klatz

Posted (edited)

Double post.

News of a new realm of death and Lady Olynder book is coming for some more haunting tales in the realms. :D

s0TmA6sQ9p1En5PM-846x846.jpg

"The cursed Twinned Towns of Westreach and Eastdale in Shyish are cursed. The hosts of Lady Olynder rise once in each generation to slaughter the unlucky inhabitants. Now, a new discovery offers a glimmer of hope that might lead to breaking the curse – will Jahangir rise up to free his people? Pre-order this chilling novel in hardback, eBook and MP3 audiobook editions from this Saturday. "

Two things I wonder. One is will Westreach and Eastdale talk about their origins a bit and how mortals decide where those directions are in the realms which have very vague directions mostly attuned to the edges and gods? Second is if this story is post-Wrath of the Everchosen. I could see chaos making a troubling deal with Jahangir that'll dwindle Olynder's reinforcements and her siege on the All-gates.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • LOVE IT! 1

19 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Double post.

News of a new realm of death and Lady Olynder book is coming for some more haunting tales in the realms. :D

s0TmA6sQ9p1En5PM-846x846.jpg

"The cursed Twinned Towns of Westreach and Eastdale in Shyish are cursed. The hosts of Lady Olynder rise once in each generation to slaughter the unlucky inhabitants. Now, a new discovery offers a glimmer of hope that might lead to breaking the curse – will Jahangir rise up to free his people? Pre-order this chilling novel in hardback, eBook and MP3 audiobook editions from this Saturday. "

Two things I wonder. One is will Westreach and Eastdale talk about their origins a bit and how mortals decide where those directions are in the realms which have very vague directions mostly attuned to the edges and gods? Second is if this story is post-Wrath of the Everchosen. I could see chaos making a troubling deal with Jahangir that'll dwindle Olynder's reinforcements and her siege on the All-gates.

this looks exciting!

The cursed Twinned Towns of Westreach and Eastdale in Shyish are cursed.

DOUBLY CURSED!

• Haha 1

Has anyone bought this Fanatical bundle deal at the Tier 1 option? £1 for six full sized books seems too good to be true. I've wanted to read the Hamilcar story since I listen to David Guymer being interview by Wade Price.

I've never heard of Fanatical before now.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/01/a-brilliant-book-bundle-from-fanatical/?utm_source=CUSTOMERS&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BL_1st_July_Hand_of_Harrow&utm_content=&utm_term=_&m_i=12f1rw_JGeVqBQGW%2BpMWhTwHTPSgalB0S3MBKWxgGfvs7vOibUVYzaNjavDHrZlUmXCCXdlgdRmhsjKcZ2QbAxlpMWQn1e

3 minutes ago, AdamJ said:

Has anyone bought this Fanatical bundle deal at the Tier 1 option? £1 for six full sized books seems too good to be true. I've wanted to read the Hamilcar story since I listen to David Guymer being interview by Wade Price.

I've never heard of Fanatical before now.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/01/a-brilliant-book-bundle-from-fanatical/?utm_source=CUSTOMERS&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BL_1st_July_Hand_of_Harrow&utm_content=&utm_term=_&m_i=12f1rw_JGeVqBQGW%2BpMWhTwHTPSgalB0S3MBKWxgGfvs7vOibUVYzaNjavDHrZlUmXCCXdlgdRmhsjKcZ2QbAxlpMWQn1e

Yeah i never heard of it before either! Annoyingly, I've read half the books, but still got it for hamilcar, iron dragon and the death book.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Yeah i never heard of it before either! Annoyingly, I've read half the books, but still got it for hamilcar, iron dragon and the death book.

Wow, so it is legit, that’s great to hear! I was worried there’d be some small print to say it was only the first chapter.

This is possibly the best Black Library deal I’ve ever seen. I only own Soul Wars so this is a great deal for me 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdamJ said:

Wow, so it is legit, that’s great to hear! I was worried there’d be some small print to say it was only the first chapter.

This is possibly the best Black Library deal I’ve ever seen. I only own Soul Wars so this is a great deal for me 🙂

There has been some Humble Bumdle stuff- i got first 14 (or so) horus heresy for £8 or something.

Seems GW's doing a "Under the seas in the Mortal Realms" theme today with a bunch of Deepkin books focused on in their newsletter with a new Deepkin story to dive into.

BLPROCESSED-Ghosts-of-Khapthar-Cover.jpg

"

READ IT BECAUSE
Dive into the oceans of Shyish and discover what life is like for the Idoneth Deepkin in the Realm of Death. You'll also get to explore some of the bonds between enclaves and explore how the Deepkin feel about Nagash.

THE STORY
The undersea enclave of Khaphtar is in danger. The seas where they have long made their home have been invaded by the servants of the soulthief Nagash. All around them, mighty creatures of the deeps are dead and dying, and without them, the delicate balance of life in the region is doomed. The only hope for salvation is a difficult journey across the land to the enclave of Mor’phann in search of aid – but even if Akhlys and her fellow warriors survive the hazardous journey, there is no guarantee that their isolationist kin will help them…"

• Like 1

Not a new story, I remember reading that one in one of the recent compilation books.

• Like 1

Fun AOS Lore video I found. Not many on YouTube so wanted t give it a boost :)

Also did a great video on why Stormcasts are cool, which as a Stormcast fan appreciate.

Little memey for me but I can't deny the top-notch editing in those vids. That he shows his research and posts clips from the audio dramas is very nice touches. Definitely a big thumbs up to him. :) (and a high five at that shot at the "Ketogenic" thing from the haters. Never get tired of the ridicule surrounding that.)

Speaking of content creators, 2+Tough tweeted about reaching 30,000 subscribers on YouTube. Huge congrats to an amazing fellow! :D

https://mobile.twitter.com/tough_up/status/1281235003100336130

"2+Tough

Thank you all so much in joining me to 30k suns over on YouTube!! Love this community and I'm in it for the long haul :)#AgeofSigmar #GamesWorkshop"
  • Like 2

Is there a place that sort of highlights the order these books should be read in, and which ones drive the core narrative? It’s a bit of a dog’s breakfast just browsing through kindle or the black library. Thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, badnewsbeers said:

Is there a place that sort of highlights the order these books should be read in, and which ones drive the core narrative? It’s a bit of a dog’s breakfast just browsing through kindle or the black library. Thanks in advance. 

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/21838-the-aos-lore-and-novels-thread/?page=2

Got lots of stuff on earlier  pages. even some reviews.

This is how I imagine chaos warriors/stormcast would  fight.

• LOVE IT! 1

Posted (edited)

Haha, nice! Stormcast Retributor going to town on marauders/darkoath.:D

(For the more crazier heroic versions my mind always went to Marvel Thor or Seven Sins Escanor)

8 hours ago, badnewsbeers said:

Well for Realmgate wars they have them in two omnibuses that sorts things out but if you got separate books this early chart is handy (and i just think is really cool):

13254888_10153627755237957_6621877071055

Then after Realmgate Wars this article marks out the order with the main books that keep the plot moving which is what you're looking for:

https://www.trackofwords.com/2018/09/12/getting-started-with-black-library-age-of-sigmar/

And finally AoS Shorts has a pretty close to up-to-date list of the complete book order just shy of the 2020 releases.

https://aosshorts.com/the-lore/the-books/

Hope that helps! :)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Haha, nice! Stormcast Retributor going to town on marauders/darkoath.:D

(For the more crazier heroic versions my mind always went to Marvel Thor or Seven Sins Escanor)

Well for Realmgate wars they have them in two omnibuses that sorts things out but if you got separate books this early chart is handy (and i just think is really cool):

13254888_10153627755237957_6621877071055

Then after Realmgate Wars this article marks out the order with the main books that keep the plot moving which is what you're looking for:

https://www.trackofwords.com/2018/09/12/getting-started-with-black-library-age-of-sigmar/

And finally AoS Shorts has a pretty close to up-to-date list of the complete book order just shy of the 2020 releases.

https://aosshorts.com/the-lore/the-books/

Hope that helps! :)

Check out the Cathedral Knight give him the boot.

Edited by xking
  • Like 1